View Full Version : Pledge of Allegiance

Keith
04-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Since the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord's Prayer are not allowed in most public schools anymore because the word "God" is mentioned......a kid in Arizona wrote the attached new school prayer.

Now I sit me down in school, where praying is against the rule,

For this great nation under God, finds mention of him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites, it violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow, becomes a federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange, or green...that's no offense; it's freedom scene.

The law is specific, the law is precise...prayers spoken out loud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall might offend someone with no faith at all,

In silence alone we must meditate, God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss, and dress like freaks, and pierce our noses, tongues, and cheeks.

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible, to quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can get our condoms and birth controls, study witchcraft, vampires, and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed. No Word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess, when chaos reigns the school is a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make: Should I be shot, my soul please take.

swake
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
And where can you not do the pledge?

And find me one place where prayer is banned. The school just cannot lead anyone in prayer.

mranderson
04-26-2005, 09:21 AM

And find me one place where prayer is banned. The school just cannot lead anyone in prayer.

Actually, you are correct. Prayer is not banned in school. PUBLIC prayer is. And,a ctually I agree it should be, but that is another subject and thread.

I do not agree the pleadge of allegiance should be banned. It is a sacred institution.

Keith
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM

Ok, let me make this a little clearer.....public prayer is banned from schools....all public schools. There are some public schools that will not cite the pledge of allegiance because they don't want to offend anyone by saying "God."

In my opinion, the kids are getting the raw end of the deal, just because a few parents are offended by the word "God." If they would teach their kids some morals, we would not have to worry about the major problems of discipline in schools.

mranderson
04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Ok, let me make this a little clearer.....public prayer is banned from schools....all public schools. There are some public schools that will not cite the pledge of allegiance because they don't want to offend anyone by saying "God."

In my opinion, the kids are getting the raw end of the deal, just because a few parents are offended by the word "God." If they would teach their kids some morals, we would not have to worry about the major problems of discipline in schools.

My mistake. You are correct. That is what I get for posting in the middle of a phone call.

Winterhawk
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM

If you think our children not saying the word god once in the morning is the root source of disciplinary problems in our schools, wow, I mean you can't really think that can you?

I think you should look to an individual child's upbringing to find the source of their discipline problems. And no, I don't mean that they aren't saying god at home either. You seem to suppose that people cannot be good without god. That is just stupid. Morality existed long before the creation of the first theology in the world.

Furthermore, you are willing to disregard the rights of minorities so that you have a better feeling about school. Imagine if your christian child was 1 of 5 in a school of 500 Muslims and was forced to say prayers to Allah every morning at Sunrise as he knelt on a ceremonial rug that you had to pay for out of pocket. You would be singing a different tune.

God in school is not the answer. Responsible parents at home is.

PUGalicious
09-28-2005, 04:54 AM
If you think our children not saying the word god once in the morning is the root source of disciplinary problems in our schools...Agreed.

Morality existed long before the creation of the first theology in the world.I think many would consider this a matter of debate. If you believe in God — at least the Christian God — He existed from the beginning of time and He is the creator of all things. Some would contend that God created a fundamental sense of morality, meaning most people inately know right from wrong from the very beginning, but experience can skew that sense of morality. And for some, morality itself is a form of theology, so in that sense the first theology could very well be the sense or idea of morality.

Furthermore, you are willing to disregard the rights of minorities so that you have a better feeling about school. Imagine if your christian child was 1 of 5 in a school of 500 Muslims and was forced to say prayers to Allah every morning at Sunrise as he knelt on a ceremonial rug that you had to pay for out of pocket. You would be singing a different tune.This has been my contention with fellow Christians all along. Right now, with Christianity being the "major" dominant faith in this country, it's easy to fight for public prayer and public displays of religion. However, should that dominance change to another religion, would Christian parents be so quick to want prayer in school or public displays of another religion — like Islam?

God in school is not the answer. I don't necessarily agree with the statement as written. The God that I believe in would indeed by the answer, but He would want people to choose to welcome Him in personally rather than an imposition on the unwilling.

Responsible parents at home is. Agreed.

ColumbiaCowboy
09-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Since the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord's Prayer are not allowed in most public schools anymore because the word "God" is mentioned......a kid in Arizona wrote the attached new school prayer.

Now I sit me down in school, where praying is against the rule,

As others have pointed out, this is flat out untrue. Praying is NOT against the rule. Nor is public prayer...kids can "meet at the flag pole," Bible study groups are legal. I'm personally involved in getting a Fellowship of Christian Athletes group started at my daughter's school. The ONLY thing not allowed is forcing prayer on others, which never should have been allowed in the first place.

For this great nation under God, finds mention of him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites, it violates the Bill of Rights.

Which it always did. This never should have happened. I distinctly remember us doing the Lord's Prayer in my 1st grade classroom, and wondering what the Jewish kid in the class thought of it, and thinking it wasn't fair.
I was right, it wasn't.

And anytime my head I bow, becomes a federal matter now.

Again, false.

Our hair can be purple, orange, or green...that's no offense; it's freedom scene.

That's a really hysterical comparison...what on EARTH does that have to do with anything? Should we ban hair coloring? I'm against it, I think it (and piercings aside from one per ear for girls) looks dumb. But this isn't a serious rights issue.

The law is specific, the law is precise...prayers spoken out loud are a serious vice.

False.

For praying in a public hall might offend someone with no faith at all,

The sarcasm indicates clearly that the writer doesn't care a bit about offending people who aren't Christians, which is why the Constitution is neccessary, sadly.

In silence alone we must meditate, God's name is prohibited by the state.

False.

We're allowed to cuss, and dress like freaks, and pierce our noses, tongues, and cheeks.

False. Cursing is still against the rules, and dress which violates a school dress code is, too. The schools' dress codes are stricter now than when I was in school.

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible, to quote the Good Book makes me liable.

The Bible was NEVER banned anywhere. Most school libraries have one...along with a Koran, and any number of other religious texts.
And does the author REALLY think we shouldn't ban guns in schools? How dumb is THAT?

We can get our condoms and birth controls, study witchcraft, vampires, and totem poles.

Getting condoms saves lives, and prevents unwanted pregnancy, there's no good reason to be opposed to that.
And I haven't seen ANYONE studying witchcraft and totem poles in any way but as an archeology or sociology study. The implication that our schools are trying to make our kids into witches or promoting religious practices of Indians is false.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed. No Word of God must reach this crowd.

Hysteria continues. The Ten Commandments and the Word of God MAY reach this crowd, just not in a classroom from the teacher. And that's as it should be. I work on a major university campus and they're passing out Bibles every day here.

It's scary here I must confess, when chaos reigns the school is a mess.

And forcing children to follow fundementalist Christianity is the answer? Ignoring the Constitution is the answer?

So, Lord, this silent plea I make: Should I be shot, my soul please take.

Christians are the majority in this country. Every president we've ever had was Christian. There is a politically motivated movement now promoting the myth that Christians are being prosocuted, our rights being violated. It's untrue. And what the radical right is trying to gain by promoting this old wive's tail has little to do with Christianity.