I need this in my life.

Roadhawg
03-13-2012, 02:37 PM
That's pretty cool

metro
03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
http://singularityhub.com/2012/03/12/the-parrot-ar-drone-2-0-in-action/

I need this in my life.

Don't worry, your dear leader will be deploying them soon in civilian settings. Some municipalities are already using them to spy on private properties.

HewenttoJared
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Don't worry, your dear leader will be deploying them soon in civilian settings. Some municipalities are already using them to spy on private properties.

My municipality already uses eyeballs to spy on private properties. Not too worried.

jn1780
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Impractical, but cool. Your dependent on being connected to WiFi. I suppose it could be nice in the city if you have lots of OPEN WiFi available.

I think it would be cool if you have a lot of land and you have a couple of long range wireless access points on your property. You could check on your land or livestock while sitting in your living room. lol

jn1780
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Spy satellites, predator drones, and global hawks don't need WiFi. lol

BBatesokc
03-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I have the original model. Pretty sweet toy. I've flown it downtown and gotten some good footage of the skyline from near the downtown YMCA. The range and maneuverability are pretty impressive for the low price.

jn1780
03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I have the original model. Pretty sweet toy. I've flown it downtown and gotten some good footage of the skyline from near the downtown YMCA. The range and maneuverability are pretty impressive for the low price.

Any chance Parrot Drone 2 will be flying around the Robinson area. LOL

Dustin
03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Relevant... And creepy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4&nomobile=1

Roadhawg
03-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Don't give him any ideas lol

BBatesokc
03-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Probably not, unless its a huge improvement over Drone 1.0. I tried it with my Drone and it didn't work very well. I've found a much better quality one that will hold my GoPro Hero2 camera. Plan on ordering it very soon. Wife took some convincing though. I couldn't buy another expensive toy until I took her on Vacation.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6900/screenshot20120313at614.png
SW 34 and S. Robinson Ave.

metro
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
My municipality already uses eyeballs to spy on private properties. Not too worried.

Which suburb is spying on your property and mapping the layout with high res imagery?

Martin
03-13-2012, 07:33 PM
metro, this is not the politics section. -M

HewenttoJared
03-14-2012, 06:14 AM

What was the actual range?

BBatesokc
03-14-2012, 06:37 AM
What was the actual range?

Never measured it, but in an open field I'm guessing 200' max. When it goes out of range it just goes into hover mode and waits for a signal. It took awhile to learn to control it precisely but I can fly it around my house and in my friend's office building without issue now.

The problem is wind. If you turn the altitude limiter off and go too high and the wind catches it - its gone. I lost one completely that way and another probably went 1/4 mile away before crashing. Also, a gust even at low altitude can cause issues with traffic, pedestrians, etc. Keep in mind 4 exposed blades are spinning pretty fast.

Here's a good compilation video from AR Drone users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_seyL-quo

HewenttoJared
03-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Do those little bumpers it shows interfere with the flight?

BBatesokc
03-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Do those little bumpers it shows interfere with the flight?

The foam bumpers? Those are for indoor use to protect the drone and your walls, furniture, people, etc. You can learn with them on outside, but they really hamper the agility and provide too much resistance.

RadicalModerate
03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Those look really cool, but I couldn't help thinking about a bunch of guys in an Al Quida training camp learning to fly them . . . (not a political comment . . . simply a related--paranoid--concern).

BBatesokc
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I can tell you this - if you're shy, don't' go flying one at a local park. Because everyone will come up to you.

The augmented reality games you can play between two AR Drones is pretty fun.

Honestly though, flying them can be pretty stressful. The wife likes to attack me with her indoor RC helicopter when she thinks she isn't getting enough attention. The one's from Brookstone are a blast. Same place we bought our AR Drones.

kevinpate
03-14-2012, 08:21 PM

If there is anything to fear, it is more likely to be related to an ill spirited or nosy busybod in your own neighborhood with a drone, hd cam and a few phantom fb accounts than it is anyone with some difference of political opinion.