View Full Version : Help Save Historical Structures

Pete
03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
This discussion started on the Morgan Building thread but it's an important conversation in it's own right.

A familiar pattern is this: 1) we see in the paper or in one of the municipal agendas / application processes that a building is being evaluated for demolition by either the city or a property owner; and 2) the building is so far gone or has been empty for so long, there isn't enough interest or time to save it.

So, there clearly is a more proactive way to dealing with this issue before it gets to this point. When it does, the prognosis seems to be about 99% fatal.

It seems obvious most these buildings have been in violation of several municipal codes for years if not decades. But the city does not go out looking for these things, they have to be reported and even then I doubt much is done.

I suggested we create a list (perhaps identify specific areas and inventory) and divide up responsibility for monitoring and reporting. I'm sure lots of people would volunteer.

However, before we start something like this it seems we need to do some research about the process. Here's some ideas:

Contact a councilperson like Meg Salyer and/or Ed Shadid to see if there are any city-based initiatives
Find if there are any existing nonprofits or other groups that are doing something similar; or anything related
Understand the process for filing complaints and what happens when there isn't compliance
Find someone in the city who would proactively try and take back these properties (condemn / eminent domain) and try to get them into the hands of new buyers / caretakers

Just some ideas to get the ball rolling.

I think this project would be a perfect way for people on this site to become active in helping preserve the few remaining structures with character and charm. But before we start thrashing around, let's try and do some legwork and determine the existing resources and avenues.

Pete
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
PRESERVATION RESOURCES
(please reply to this thread with any others and they will be added here):

Section on Historic Preservation from OKC Plan 2000-2020 (http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preservation.pdf)
Two key action items (unrealized as far as we know): Inventory and establish design review for significant commercial, public, and
educational buildings and districts; and Stabilize historic dilapidated buildings as an alternative to demolition.

Oklahoma Main Street Program (http://www.okcommerce.gov/Main-Street/Program-Overview)
The Oklahoma Main Street Center provides training, resources, and technical assistance for preservation-based commercial district revitalization. Based on the National Main Street Center's guiding principles and nationally recognized Four-Point Approach, the program offers a practical strategy scaled for each local community.

City of OKC Historic Preservation Commission (http://www.okc.gov/planning/hp/index.html)
The City Council formally adopted the "Preservation Guidelines and Standards for Oklahoma City Historic Districts" on March 11, 2003

City of OKC Municipal Code (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=17000)
See Chapter 24, "Housing and Property Maintenance Code".
Link to the mobile version -- have it handy while viewing properties: http://library.municode.com/mobile/contents.aspx?clientid=17000

City of OKC Code Enforcement (http://www.okc.gov/neighborhood/code/enforce.html)
Summary of most common violations, link to on-line complaint form and hotline.

City of OKC Historic Preservation Ordinance and Preservation Guidelines - Final Report (http://www.okc.gov/planning/hp/documents/HP_final_report.pdf)

OU Institute for Quality Communities (http://iqc.ou.edu/)
The Institute for Quality Communities within the College of Architecture at the University of Oklahoma (OUIQC), is a forum for researchers, students and Oklahoma community leaders to collaborate in an effort to enhance Oklahoma communities. The Institute provides assistance and expertise on the forces of community growth and decline with a specific focus on improving the practice of community planning, design and governance.

Grassroots Historic Preservation (http://www.nmheritage.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Grassroots-Historic-Preservation.pdf)
This was written in New Mexico but contains lots of good information about getting structures listed as historic sites, tax credits, etc.

Pete
03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
From what I've seen thus far, almost everything in OKC is geared towards homes/neighborhoods and not commercial properties or districts.

It seems they've been using the Downtown Design Review & Urban Design committees to apply guidelines.

Pete
03-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Love it. If you have a job for "remote" folks, I am all in.

Internet research!:

Any existing City of OKC resources or other local groups active in these areas?
What are other cities doing in this regard (best practices)?
Are there state/national resources that would help?

metro
03-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I call code violations in all the time. I could help with that, as wells drive bys to check condition.

Steve
03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Pete, you and I are thinking on parallel tracks. Must be why I respect you so much!
Anyway, I think the trick here is OKC needs some new tools in its tool box. Here's what I put out on Twitter about 1:30 p.m. today to @otiswhite who heads up a consulting firm, Civic Strategies, and closely monitors urban development across the country:
"@otiswhite Is there any city that stands out in addressing historic bldg owners who refuse to make repairs, let the buildings rot?"
I've since sent out similar messages to other groups as well.... I suspect, friends, that the answer to this question may be the answer to the greater concern at the start of this thread.

kevinpate
03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I call code violations in all the time. I could help with that, as wells drive bys to check condition.

I recall you mentioning this before. Do you frequently see results from the contacts, or do you mainly hear crickets chirping but know you have made the effort all the same.

Pete
03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Pete, you and I are thinking on parallel tracks. Must be why I respect you so much!
Anyway, I think the trick here is OKC needs some new tools in its tool box. Here's what I put out on Twitter about 1:30 p.m. today to @otiswhite who heads up a consulting firm, Civic Strategies, and closely monitors urban development across the country:
"@otiswhite Is there any city that stands out in addressing historic bldg owners who refuse to make repairs, let the buildings rot?"
I've since sent out similar messages to other groups as well.... I suspect, friends, that the answer to this question may be the answer to the greater concern at the start of this thread.

Seems like Blair Humphries and his Institute for Quality Communities should be engaged.

The City itself listed this sort of thing as a priority in its strategic plan but I don't think anything has been done about it. I know they're stretched super thin but there are lots of people that would pitch in if we could get organized.

Also, this is a fantastic opportunity for the new incarnation of OCURA to get proactive and help acquire and market key structures.

We all complain when a developer demolishes a historic building but more often than not, many are allowed to fall into complete disrepair -- against countless civic codes -- and become such a nuisance and safety risk the city has to step in and tear them down.

Seems like the city could easily finance the code-compliance manpower through the fines it would impose.

I'm also 100% sure OKC is not the first city to face this problem and I bet there are some working models already in place elsewhere.

Spartan
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I will be keenly watching how a few key properties in Tulsa turn out, as that will either validate or fault the heavy-handed city approach that some cities have to turn to.

metro
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I recall you mentioning this before. Do you frequently see results from the contacts, or do you mainly hear crickets chirping but know you have made the effort all the same.

I do it multiple times a week. I'd say 60-70% of the time it's crickets and it comes back "NO VIOLATION" when it's obvious It is a clear violation. It tends to be certain inspectors too (ahem Brian Stallings). Occasionally they say they are doing something about it, but I'd say only 10-15% of those 30-40% get actual results. I stay on top of it.

If I had the time, I've always wanted to take digital photos as well as the letters I get back from city inspectors saying no violation to city council meetings. I bet that'd light a fire. Remember when I posted Browns Bakery on here last year about broken windows etc, and days later they were fixed and graffiti removed? We can make a difference if we group up on this. ALWAYS request a report of the inspectors findings. You can report violations at OKC.gov and click on city action center.

Larry OKC
03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I did see someone with "Code Enforcement" on their coat, in the rain the other day, removing signs from the median at the intersection of south May and Grand Blvd (SW 36th).
:bow::congrats:

Pete
04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
The city has launched a project to deal with vacant and abandoned structures.

Looks like the start of something good.

See the full presentation here:

http://www.okc.gov/planning/plans+studies/Resources/NAVABsForum.pdf

Spartan
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
That sounds very good, they're talking about ramping up code enforcement and preventing property owners with a bad history of VAP from acquiring new deeds. I was especially intrigued by the idea of establishing a County-City land bank to engage in taking over some of these VAPs and bringing them back. I thought that's what OCURA was for?

Snowman
06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
... I was especially intrigued by the idea of establishing a County-City land bank to engage in taking over some of these VAPs and bringing them back. I thought that's what OCURA was for?

It's government, why should we only have one entity when we can have multiple doing practically the same task?