View Full Version : Imagine No Electricity Bills

Roadhawg
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
If done properly, a smartly built green home featuring solar power, energy-efficient appliances, and proper insulation can result in the owner facing monthly electricity bills amounting to $0, or thereabouts. Now, one homebuilder is making such “net-zero” features standard in several communities around the U.S.

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/03/09/imagine-no-electricity-bills-the-rise-of-net-zero-homes/?hpt=hp_t3#ixzz1oeoDgd4y

SoonerDave
03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Meh.

"Net-zero" is a nice advertising gimmick, but even the article itself admits (toward the end) you really won't get there. The article also dismisses rather glibly the up-front cost associated with the panels, the appliances, etc. etc.

Its an intriguing concept, to be sure, but technology just isn't there yet.

Now, if you really wanted to get my attention, I'd love to see how fuel cell technology is evolving. I see Mercedes has released a concept of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle in Germany at least as a prototype, and even filmed a commercial featuring it. For all the huzzah around windmills and solar panels, fuel cells are technology that *does* excite me as a fundamentally new way of generating power at a "retail" level.

HewenttoJared
03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I think the technology is definitely there. It's the consumer embrace that's lacking.

http://blog.rmi.org/zero_net_energy_2.0

mmonroe
03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
It's Cotton vs. Hemp all over again.

Do you think electricity companies want you going green?

Snowman
03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I think the technology is definitely there. It's the consumer embrace that's lacking.

http://blog.rmi.org/zero_net_energy_2.0

Even with the technology being capable of it, at this point it is a possibly you may save after many years with risks that you will not. Changes in production could turn that around but will take time.

I could see some cases where there are other benefits, like a recording studio or home theater where you would not having noise disruptions at inopportune times from AC.

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2012, 08:56 AM
It's Cotton vs. Hemp all over again.

Do you think electricity companies want you going green?

Of course not. It's like trying to find a way to convert all vehicles to non fossil fuels. Oil companies wont let that happen...

Snowman
03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Of course not. It's like trying to find a way to convert all vehicles to non fossil fuels. Oil companies wont let that happen...

Power companies will help more efficient technology to a point, as there are a lot of areas that it could allow them to not build new power plants and continue making money off the existing ones. Especially if the rate of efficiency gain is close to the population growth in the region they serve.

HewenttoJared
03-10-2012, 03:03 PM
The way we fund utilities in this country makes efficiency more awkward to achieve.

ou48A
03-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Imagine No Electricity Bills….. imagine the utopia

betts
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
My utility bills aren't zero, but they're very low by previous standards. My gas bill is usually about $15 a month, and my electricity bill is usually less than $100. I have 3500 square feet. Last summer during all the heat we didn't have to air condition the first two floors of our house and the temperature was a chilly 65. I would never build a house again out of anything but build-block. It's quiet too, and I'm thinking, with 8" thick concrete and rebar walls, that it would probably function as a storm shelter. No termites to worry about. It's a great technology.

SoonerDave
03-12-2012, 06:57 AM
My utility bills aren't zero, but they're very low by previous standards. My gas bill is usually about $15 a month, and my electricity bill is usually less than $100. I have 3500 square feet. Last summer during all the heat we didn't have to air condition the first two floors of our house and the temperature was a chilly 65. I would never build a house again out of anything but build-block. It's quiet too, and I'm thinking, with 8" thick concrete and rebar walls, that it would probably function as a storm shelter. No termites to worry about. It's a great technology.

betts, could you describe a bit more detail about how your house is constructed? Based on your discussion, I'm guessing that at least a portion of your structure is built against earth or is partially subterranean? Did you employ geothermal perchance? I know someone in a previous neighborhood constructed a home with a geothermal unit, but the up-front costs were staggering (with the caveat that house was built about 15 years ago, so I'm sure techniques have improved/changed).

Also, could you discuss how the startup/construction costs for your home compare to that of what might be termed a conventionally constructed home?

BoulderSooner
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
betts, could you describe a bit more detail about how your house is constructed? Based on your discussion, I'm guessing that at least a portion of your structure is built against earth or is partially subterranean? Did you employ geothermal perchance? I know someone in a previous neighborhood constructed a home with a geothermal unit, but the up-front costs were staggering (with the caveat that house was built about 15 years ago, so I'm sure techniques have improved/changed).

Also, could you discuss how the startup/construction costs for your home compare to that of what might be termed a conventionally constructed home?

not betts .. but her brownstone is all above ground 3 story ...

build block uses Styrofoam forms and are then filled with concrete ..to form the entire "shell" of the building they are very very energy efficient and noise reducing

SoonerDave
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
not betts .. but her brownstone is all above ground 3 story ...

build block uses Styrofoam forms and are then filled with concrete ..to form the entire "shell" of the building they are very very energy efficient and noise reducing

Good information. Know that some homes here in OKC were built with that technique a few years ago.

In what part of the US is that home located?

Pete
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
There can't be many places that require as much in utility expenses as Oklahoma...

It's hideously hot for a good 4-5 months a year and then can be very cold as well. The hot summer usually requires lots of watering too, and most people in OK have large yards.

ou48A
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM

With predictions of large electrical rate increases in our future I installed a geothermal heat and air system about a year ago.
The upfront cost is higher but the rate of return over the long run is good.
There are tax & utility rebates available that help defray the upfront cost, but cutting my bills by about ˝ helps.
I have done away with my natural gas bill.

I have been very pleased with my new system and highly recommend them particularly in any new construction.
My understanding is that GEO units have improved a great deal in recent years.

ClimateMaster is OKC based. They manufacture very good GEO units in SW OKC.
http://residential.climatemaster.com/

If I ever build a home I would like to look into using the styrofoam concrete forms but I also like to look into a pre-cast concrete slab (with rebar) roof on traditional roof angles. My wife would like Spanish / med / Italian style home.

betts
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, my house is constructed of 3" thick styrofoam stacked blocks (kind of remind me of legos). The blocks are hollow, actually only have a front and a back with metal struts give them a rectangular shape, and rebar is run vertically between them. Then concrete is poured, which makes an 8" thick wall of concrete and rebar. Mine is actually 4 stories and then we have 2 geothermal zones. Ours is Climatemaster also. The biggest problem with them is that it's darn hard to hang pictures if you need more support than sheetrock. Because you've then got 3 inches of styrofoam followed by solid concrete. But they are amazingly energy efficient and supremely quiet. The only noise that is transmitted, we discovered, is the sound of a drill, as it reverberates through the concrete. So, construction next door is noisy, but otherwise, I never hear anyone next door.

RadicalModerate
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
ICFs Rule.
Especially since the manufacturers
figured out how to solve the wiring/plumbing
and inherent moisture problems.