View Full Version : Dwight Howard to OKC?

G.Walker
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Starting to hear rumblings of the possibility Dwight Howard might end up with the Thunder...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/03/07/blogtable-trade-deadline-dwight/

Notable quote: "Better hope Dwight loves the rodeo, because there’s nothing else to do in OKC."

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/shaun_powell/03/07/howard-thunder-bulls/index.html

Notable quote: "With Durant, Howard and Harden on the floor, you don't need an All-Star point guard."

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142915871&page=1

Notable quote:

Celtics have joined the negotiations:

My source thinks they're coming close to a deal..

"Thunder Get:
Dwight Howard

Magic Get:
Rajon Rondo
Nazr Mohammed

Celtics Get:
Kendrick Perkins
James Harden"

SoonerBoy18
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
James Harden better not go anywhere... Nazr Mohammed.. Fine. Perkins.. ....

swilki
03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
No way the Thunder are getting rid of Harden. Ain't gonna happen.

OSUMom
03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Crazy Talk! The Beard better not go anywhere. And I personally like Perkins.

Pete
03-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Kobe Bryant said he thought Perkins was the best one-on-one defender in the league.

It's no coincidence the Thunder have been much better since acquiring him.

MDot
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
It's fun to imagine a team with Dwight Howard AND James Harden but I don't want to lose Harden to get Howard when we already have a developing monster in Ibaka and an already proven post defender in Perk. This is one of those things where it's cool and exciting to hear 'Oklahoma City Thunder' as a possible destination for someone like D12 but I personally think there's no chance of that happening.

BrettM2
03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I'll eat my hat if this happens. Rondo/Mohammed isn't enough for Orlando to pull the trigger.

Snowman
03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
This seems more like the musings of a fantasy team looking for high offensive numbers than a real option. If we have Durant, Westbrook and Howard then the budget starts getting very tight everywhere else going forward.

OKCisOK4me
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
G. Walker, you make my stomach hurt.

Howard is getting old, we need to keep the young, talented, cohesive unit as long as we can, the way it is. All the players we have are very solid. I love Coach Brooks, but a championship coach could bring home a championship trophy with the very players we have now. Maybe Brooks makes himself a championship coach this year... we'll see, but I'm gonna push this dream boat back out in the water...

Just the facts
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
The Thunder aren't trading anyone. They have one of the best records in the league, and the other two teams with a similar record play in the East, where the Thunder have only lost 2 games, and both on the road.

Easy180
03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Only trade they might make is for a backup PG

dankrutka
03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
If we could make that trade you have to do it. Dwight Howard is not old. He is the best center (by far) of his generation... Having said that, this is not happening unless Dwight would commit to OKC long term. In short, there is no chance this happens.

betts
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Not going to happen, from a financial standpoint alone. We can probably pay Harden and Ibaka together what we would have to pay Dwight, and there are questions as to whether we can afford both James and Serge. We shouldn't give anyone up to get Dwight for this season alone, and he's going to want mega bucks for his new contract. Who knows about chemistry? Winners like to win, so that might not be a problem, but you could knock me over with a feather if it happened. Hinrich or Sessions are more likely. And, knowing Presit, if we make a move at all, it will be for someone we've not even considered.

G.Walker
03-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Are you guys freakin' kidding me? Time to wake up Oklahoma City, this is the NBA, we can't keep every player we have forever, trades will happen, teams build for the future and grow. As much as I like them, I would give up Harden and Perkins for D12. Durant, Westbrook, and Howard starting for the Thunder, that's a dynasty waiting to happen. And remember we still have a luxury by having a first round 2012 draft pick!

We already have the best SF, and arguably the best PG locked up for the next 5 years. And if we could lock in the best C for the next 5, the Thunder will be virtually unstoppable for the next 5 years!

Starting Five:

Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Serge Ibaka
Daequan Cook/Thabo Sefalosha

Seriously? we don't need a back up PG, Eric Maynor will be fine and be back in uniform next year. Reggie Jackson can carry the load this year, but I am thinking ahead. And we can rotate Nazi and Aldrich to give Howard a breather.

BrettM2
03-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Starting Five:

Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Serge Ibaka
Daequan Cook/Thabo Sefalosha

Seriously? we don't need a back up PG, Eric Maynor will be fine and be back in uniform next year. Reggie Jackson can carry the load this year, but I am thinking ahead. And we can rotate Nazi and Aldrich to give Howard a breather.

Serge will be up for a new contract after next year and will get paid. If we somehow get Howard, he's gone. Maynor is up for a new contract after next year and will most likely be offered a starting job somewhere (he may not be a star, but he's a good player and is better than several starting PGs). Those two are gone with D12 simply because we'll have two max players and one just below max (Westbrook).

Would Howard be an upgrade? Absolutely. Does this have even the slightest chance of happening? I say no. I have no doubt that Presti is much smarter than me, but it seems plainly obvious that would destroy our cap space and force us squarely into the new, much more punitive luxury tax area. OKC will never be a major tax payer simply because the cost of doing so will escalate dramatically starting in 2014. Whatever profits our team would have would quickly be used to pay this tax (and probably much more). Don't expect Bennett et al to suddenly decide that spending $20m/yr in luxury tax is a good idea.

dankrutka
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Presti is all about long term sustainability. Thats why this won't happen.

Maynor's ACL tear could be a blessing in disguise and drive his price down so we could keep him for cheap.

BoulderSooner
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Serge will be up for a new contract after next year and will get paid. If we somehow get Howard, he's gone. Maynor is up for a new contract after next year and will most likely be offered a starting job somewhere (he may not be a star, but he's a good player and is better than several starting PGs). Those two are gone with D12 simply because we'll have two max players and one just below max (Westbrook).

Would Howard be an upgrade? Absolutely. Does this have even the slightest chance of happening? I say no. I have no doubt that Presti is much smarter than me, but it seems plainly obvious that would destroy our cap space and force us squarely into the new, much more punitive luxury tax area. OKC will never be a major tax payer simply because the cost of doing so will escalate dramatically starting in 2014. Whatever profits our team would have would quickly be used to pay this tax (and probably much more). Don't expect Bennett et al to suddenly decide that spending $20m/yr in luxury tax is a good idea.

this post x1000

swilki
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM

I whole heartedly disagree. If we are going to make a trade, I think it is going to be for some to play backup PG. Reggie is good, but I think he is going to have a hard time once the play-offs come. He still has a lot to learn.

SoonerDave
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
This team won't win a championship with RJ as the backup point guard.

The OP's trade rumor? Not a chance.

dankrutka
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree that the most likely move is to pick up an backup PG. Reggie might have a good future, but he's pretty shaky and inconsistent right now.

OKCisOK4me
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
When is the trade deadline?

dankrutka
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
March 15th at 3pm. Right in the middle of the first day of the NCAA tourney. Poor planning. Why not do it one day earlier?

BrettM2
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
March 15th at 3pm. Right in the middle of the first day of the NCAA tourney. Poor planning. Why not do it one day earlier?

So Boston can blow up their nucleus and hope the area is too absorbed in Harvard's game to notice?

OKCisOK4me
03-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Perfect... Without oSu or ou being in the big dance, I won't have anything to worry about.

SoonerBoy18
03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
The statement I really HATE hearing is when someone says "Oklahoma City cant afford (fill in the blank)"

BrettM2
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
The statement I really HATE hearing is when someone says "Oklahoma City cant afford (fill in the blank)"

Until the owners go over the cap, we have to assume they won't. Bennett is not Jerry Buss or James Dolan and, in my opinion, will not spend like them.

Just the facts
03-08-2012, 08:58 PM
This team is 31-8 and 4-1/2 games in first place in the west. No one is going anywhere.

soonergolfer
03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
I am a huge Harden fan and have been since he was drafted, but you would have to make a trade for Dwight. D12 is a once in a decade center. The only unmovable pieces are kd and russel. I'm sure it's not gonna happen, but if you put Dwight on the Thunder, u would have 3 players who are in the top 3 or 4 players at their position in the entire league.

Just the facts
03-09-2012, 08:55 AM
, but if you put Dwight on the Thunder, u would have 3 players who are in the top 3 or 4 players at their position in the entire league.

...and they would be a better team how?

Bellaboo
03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
...and they would be a better team how?

You'd get consistent scoring from the center position...........but lose part of the back court catalyst.

metro405
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Good point!!!

This team is 31-8 and 4-1/2 games in first place in the west. No one is going anywhere.

metro405
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree with you good post

I agree that the most likely move is to pick up an backup PG. Reggie might have a good future, but he's pretty shaky and inconsistent right now.

BoulderSooner
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
in the playoff russ is going to play 42-44 min a game ... no back to backs ... and harden will be on the court the entire time russ is out .... we don't need to trade for a backup point

Just the facts
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7662116/chicago-bulls-guard-derrick-rose-heard-enough-trade-speculation

CHICAGO -- Derrick Rose said he is "sick and tired" of all the trade talk regarding Orlando's Dwight Howard, particularly when it comes to any speculation involving Howard coming to Chicago.

"It's definitely getting old where I'm sick and tired of hearing it," Rose said Thursday night before the Bulls faced the Magic at the United Center. "Like I've said, this city speaks for itself. Chicago, marketing wise, is a great city. If someone chooses to come here, they definitely could, but I'm cool with the teammates that I have.

"We have a winning record. It's not like we have to change anything. But it's not up to me, it's up to the front office so if they make a decision, it's up to them."

MDot
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
^^I read last night that Rose was getting upset about all the Howard trade talk, particularly to Chicago. Then the Magic beat them on the Bulls home floor. I don't know if that's ironic or Rose was so mad he played that bad of a game.

knightrider
03-09-2012, 01:11 PM
May want to take a look at this.

http://www.dailythunder.com/2012/03/report-magic-and-thunder-have-discussed-dwight-howard-deal/

betts
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Dwight has a $19.5 million contract this year. He can opt out next year and would be an unrestricted free agent. Howard's list of preferred locations does not include Oklahoma City, but rather Dallas, Los Angeles and New York (New Jersey). Orlando reportedly wants multiple good, young players as well as draft picks.

None of that sounds like Howard is likely to be in a Thunder uniform anytime soon.

betts
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM

http://www.dailythunder.com/2012/03/report-magic-and-thunder-have-discussed-dwight-howard-deal/

Yup. We would be renting DH. And giving up our future. For a nice run in the playoffs, but no assurance of a ring and a banner.

And I remember very well when Carl Malone and Gary Peyton went to Los Angeles to win their ring. Everyone saw it as a sure thing. I was at the game that ensured that Gary Peyton was going to have to wait for a Miami uniform to get that ring.

OKCisOK4me
03-09-2012, 01:20 PM

I like his "relevant note"...all about speculation and that's it's fun to imagine. We'll all know by March 15. This completely reminds me of the Chris Bosh talk a couple years back...

OklahomaNick
03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
No way that original deal 1st posted happens.
Magic get Nazir and Rondo for Howard? No way they do that!

BorisYeltsin
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
To get Howard would push them way over the salary cap and they would have to pay luxury tax, not happening

There needs would be a backup PG or a good big that can rebound for the bench

Zack232
03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
"Hope dwight loves the rodeo, because there's nothing else to do in okc."

What an idiot. 1) I've never even been to or seen a rodeo. 2) OKC is almost the same size as Seattle, yet we're treated like we have 10 thousand people.

TaoMaas
03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Dwight Howard needs the Thunder more than the Thunder needs Dwight Howard. I'll be very surprised if we make a move to acquire him.

metro
03-10-2012, 09:42 PM
"Hope dwight loves the rodeo, because there's nothing else to do in okc."

What an idiot. 1) I've never even been to or seen a rodeo. 2) OKC is almost the same size as Seattle, yet we're treated like we have 10 thousand people.

OKC metro is almost 3x smaller than Seattle metro...

Soonerus
03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
This will never happen, the Thunder do not need Howard...

Zack232
03-11-2012, 02:18 PM
OKC metro is almost 3x smaller than Seattle metro...

Well, I wasn't referring to the metro.

metro
03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Well the metro population is what matters in the big leagues

ljbab728
03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Darnell Mayberry agrees that this won't happen and gives very logical reasons why.

http://newsok.com/thunder-insider-will-okc-make-a-trade-or-stand-pat/article/3656891

Just the facts
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
This:

But… but. Russell Westbrook, Thabo Sefolosha, Kevin Durant, Nick Collison and Dwight Howard. Not a bad look, eh? A lot of people say that would put OKC in the driver’s seat to win a title now. And if would probably would. But who says they aren’t already there? We’re all frantically searching for flaws in this team, but 31-8 and still improving tells me this group is certainly the conversation for a championship.

The team is in 1st place - you can't get better than first.

G.Walker
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
What people don't understand is that James Harden and Serge Ibaka are both up for contract renewals/free agency, the Thunder is not going to be able to afford to keep Harden and Ibaka next year, one of them will have to go anyways. The chances of us winning a ring with the current roster we have now is about 50%, with D12 75%.

MDot
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
What people don't understand is that James Harden and Serge Ibaka are both up for contract renewals/free agency, the Thunder is not going to be able to afford to keep Harden and Ibaka next year, one of them will have to go anyways. The chances of us winning a ring with the current roster we have now is about 50%, with D12 75%.

So, because we MAY have to give up one of those players, you think we should trade both of them to rent Howard?? I say rent but what I'm trying to get at is, what if he doesn't re-sign with OKC and we don't have Ibaka, Harden or Howard? I know we still have Durant and Westbrook which is good enough to get you 45+ wins a year alone but why take such a risk with someone as spoiled as Howard when you already have two of the best up and coming players in the league (you can even debate that they're both proven young stars)? It makes no sense when you step back for a minute and consider it, unless you could somehow get Howard to commit and re-sign and even try and keep Harden or Ibaka, which would be unlikely.

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
We got Perkins to commit and resign. He's not a major star like Howard. I'm only saying...

G.Walker
03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
So, because we MAY have to give up one of those players, you think we should trade both of them to rent Howard?? I say rent but what I'm trying to get at is, what if he doesn't re-sign with OKC and we don't have Ibaka, Harden or Howard? I know we still have Durant and Westbrook which is good enough to get you 45+ wins a year alone but why take such a risk with someone as spoiled as Howard when you already have two of the best up and coming players in the league (you can even debate that they're both proven young stars)? It makes no sense when you step back for a minute and consider it, unless you could somehow get Howard to commit and re-sign and even try and keep Harden or Ibaka, which would be unlikely.

Once you reach star status in the NBA, you don't care about money or the city you live in, you care about one thing, and that's getting a ring. I believe if D12 was to come here and we got to the Finals, and gave Miami a good run for a Championship, Howard would want to resign because we have showed him we are contenders for a championship.

Howard would rather be in OKC, than in L.A. or NYC because he has a greater chance of winning with the Thunder than any of those teams.

MDot
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Once you reach star status in the NBA, you don't care about money or the city you live in, you care about one thing, and that's getting a ring. I believe if D12 was to come here and we got to the Finals, and gave Miami a good run for a Championship, Howard would want to resign because we have showed him we are contenders for a championship.

Howard would rather be in OKC, than in L.A. or NYC because he has a greater chance of winning with the Thunder than any of those teams.

You can quote me on this but I'm honestly not 100% sure but hasn't Howard came out and stated that he wants to be in a big city? All the teams he has said he wants to play for are located in big cities, which could very well be coincidence.

I'll look it up unless someone comes on here and confirms or denies what I've said.

BrettM2
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
You can quote me on this but I'm honestly not 100% sure but hasn't Howard came out and stated that he wants to be in a big city? All the teams he has said he wants to play for are located in big cities, which could very well be coincidence.

I'll look it up unless someone comes on here and confirms or denies what I've said.

He has. He won't even consider Chicago at this point, it's LA, NYC, and Dallas (hometown).

MDot
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
He has. He won't even consider Chicago at this point, it's LA, NYC, and Dallas (hometown).

Thought so.

BlackmoreRulz
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Howard has also stated that he wants to be THE #1 guy on the team, don't see that happening here in OKC

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Howard has also stated that he wants to be THE #1 guy on the team, don't see that happening here in OKC

I guess that means he's NYC bound!

Snowman
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I guess that means he's NYC bound!

One of his reasons for not wanting Chicago was it gets 'pretty cold' their, it gets pretty cold in NYC too.

bbhill
03-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Howard is going to stay with Orlando according to most sources today. I can't imagine this going well for the Magic come this summer. . .