View Full Version : Bricktown Bass Pro sales down

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
This is quite discouraging, althoug I'm not really surprised. Retail in Bricktown is going to take awhile to take off. Still, this sets a bad precedent for other retailers considering the area.

------------
"OKC's Bass Pro sales fall short of consultant projections

BY: Brian Brus

Bass Pro Shops in Bricktown reported sales of $33.5 million for 2004, about $5 million short of earlier projections, officials reported.

"We had hoped that Bass Pro sales would be what the consultant projected," said JoeVan Bullard, executive director of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

The company reports its monthly sales figures to the authority. Bullard called the low numbers "discouraging."

"The goal overall of creating more retail traffic in the Bricktown area, that is coming along," he said. "And I think when we get additional housing units built downtown, that will combine with the Bass Pro effort, the (Harkins) theater effort, those other things that are located in Lower Bricktown, and hopefully we can bring more retail traffic to the downtown area."

The Oklahoma City Council made the decision to lure Bass Pro Shops to Bricktown in May 2002 in the hopes of establishing an anchor tenant to stimulate private development for the district. The city leased the building to Bass Pro through the Urban Renewal Authority.

In mid-2003, the council approved the city's funding of an additional $1.7 million to cover Bass Pro's construction costs near Interstate 40, modifying the agreement so that Bass Pro would pay back the money through an increase of 8 percent in its annual lease rate, from $610,000 to $710,000. The adjustment brought the city's share of investment to about $19 million.

A report prepared in 2002 by the consultant firm Peckham, Guyton, Albers and Viets, or PGAV Inc., just ahead of the Oklahoma City Council's approval that year to subsidize the business, revealed the company projected annual sales of $38.5 million.

The company also projected sales growth of about 2.5 percent each year for the first four years.

The sales reported for 2004 were short about $5 million of that mark, Urban Renewal Authority records show. And a December-to-December comparison of 2003 and 2004 shows a 20 percent drop.

Bass Pro corporate officials could not be reached for comment."

Karried
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, we really need to be supportive of new businesses I think. Let's see, do I need a new fishing pole?

Seriously, if you need a fishing license or a new lure or anything sports related, that's where we should head - maybe we should all shop there to encourage sales to entice other new businesses to the area ... couldn't hurt, unless you have stock in Academy :-)

Curt
04-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, we really need to be supportive of new businesses I think. Let's see, do I need a new fishing pole?

Seriously, if you need a fishing license or a new lure or anything sports related, that's where we should head - maybe we should all shop there to encourage sales to entice other new businesses to the area ... couldn't hurt, unless you have stock in Academy :-)

I totally agree with you Karrie. Bet you did not know I was actually an employee of that store for two weeks, actually working for Tracker Marine as a boat mechanic, then things fell through up here and I could not move, but I did come down for orientation for a couple days,wish I had just moved and said screw the house here. Anyway, everyone go support your local buisnes's and stop shopping online.

Karried
04-30-2005, 07:43 PM
BY BRIAN BRUS
THE JOURNAL RECORD

Bass Pro Shops executives were pleased with the Oklahoma City store’s performance last year, considering that it’s one of the chain’s smaller stores in an urban renewal zone, corporate spokesman Larry Whiteley said.

The privately held company reported total Oklahoma City sales for 2004 of $33.5 million, according to Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority documents; Whiteley confirmed the numbers’ accuracy.

“We feel like we’ve been a catalyst for all the other businesses that have come to the urban renewal area. It’s improving, but not as quickly as city expected. And that’s no fault of ours,” Whiteley said. “We’re very satisfied with the Oklahoma City store.”

The Oklahoma City Council made the decision to lure the 104,000-square-foot store to Bricktown in mid-2002 in the hopes of establishing an anchor tenant to stimulate private development in the district. The city leased the building to Bass Pro through the Urban Renewal Authority. The company’s lease agreement requires monthly reporting to the authority.

“The Oklahoma City store is a much smaller store and it’s in a smaller market than most of our other stores,” he said. “It’s also an urban redevelopment (area) … to revitalize the downtown area. And the entire urban redevelopment area has not reached its full build-out and its corresponding projections, not just our store.

“In spite of that, though, that store generated $340 a square foot in sales, which is above the standard for the entire outdoor retail industry,” he said.

Whiteley said the company had no prior knowledge of projections provided to Oklahoma City government officials by a privately hired consulting firm nearly three years ago. A report prepared in 2002 by the consultant firm Peckham, Guyton, Albers and Viets, or PGAV Inc., just ahead of Oklahoma City Council’s approval that year to subsidize the business, projected annual sales of $38.5 million for the store and annual sales growth of about 2.5 percent. The report received much public scrutiny at the time.

“He didn’t do it through us, so we don’t know where he came up with that stuff,” Whiteley said. “Nobody shared that with us.”

Whiteley said a drop in December-to-December sales comparisons should be framed with the perspective that the store was running high from its grand opening in November 2003. For December that year, the store reported sales of $6.5 million; in 2004, the December sales were $4.5 million.

Patrick
05-01-2005, 11:20 PM
The JR article seems to take a little different twist on this. It seems to reveal that the company itself isn't too upset that our Bass Pro didn't meet projected sales last year. I think they're smart enough to nkow it's located in the middle of a growing entertainment district, which is still in its infancy. I'm sure they know to think long term.

Sounds to me like the city is more bummed about things than Bass Pro is. As long as Bass Pro is happy I think we're okay.

soonerguru
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I guess not enough people were in the market for gold-plated spittoons.

:)

BG918
05-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I'd actually be happy if Bass Pro closed. I never wanted that store there in the first place and it makes me sick to see it every time I go to Bricktown. It doesn't fit at all in that area it is a store MADE for the suburbs. Now if they would've built a nice BRICK building fronting the canal with their store on the ground level and apartments/offices on the second (or third) levels with all parking IN THE BACK or in a garage across Reno, I might like them more. But right now they bring people in who park, shop, and then get back in their cars and leave. The people that shop at Bass Pro aren't your typical urban crowd either, quite the opposite actually. Now something like an REI, now THAT is what Bricktown needs but without a massive parking THAT FRONTS THE CANAL!!!

Curt
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I'd actually be happy if Bass Pro closed. I never wanted that store there in the first place and it makes me sick to see it every time I go to Bricktown. It doesn't fit at all in that area it is a store MADE for the suburbs. Now if they would've built a nice BRICK building fronting the canal with their store on the ground level and apartments/offices on the second (or third) levels with all parking IN THE BACK or in a garage across Reno, I might like them more. But right now they bring people in who park, shop, and then get back in their cars and leave. The people that shop at Bass Pro aren't your typical urban crowd either, quite the opposite actually. Now something like an REI, now THAT is what Bricktown needs but without a massive parking THAT FRONTS THE CANAL!!!

So.....you'd be happy to see people lose their jobs just because you dont like Bass Pro Shops? I think it fits right in where it is. I am sure it has brought alot of people into Bricktown that might not have gone before.

Midtowner
05-08-2005, 07:17 PM

They've done a pretty good job with the portion of the canal that they own. Also, their parking lot is great. When I go to Bricktown, if I can't find street parking, I always park in the Bass Pro/Harkins lot unless I walk from home.

Like 'em or not, they are important to the area. I also had problems with the way they were built, but it's all water under the bridge now.

BG918
05-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I just think it was a bad decision to put Bass Pro in an urban area where it doesn't belong. Especially a big box-type megastore with a gigantic parking lot fronting our lovely canal in an area that SHOULD be dense urban development. A friend of mine visiting from Boston really liked downtown OKC and Bricktown (the original part) but when we went down by the movie theater and Sonic, he wondered why they it didn't continue to look like it did up by Bourbon Street and Chelino's. He said it looked like a suburban shopping center with the single level restaurants, little to no interaction with the canal, and then of course Bass Pro with its gigantic parking lot full of pick-up trucks and SUV's. I feel the same way and maybe Bass Pro closing would open that site up for a better development with a variety of retail and dining, especially important with Embassy Suites going in right next door.

Midtowner
05-08-2005, 08:08 PM
I just think it was a bad decision to put Bass Pro in an urban area where it doesn't belong. Especially a big box-type megastore with a gigantic parking lot fronting our lovely canal in an area that SHOULD be dense urban development. A friend of mine visiting from Boston really liked downtown OKC and Bricktown (the original part) but when we went down by the movie theater and Sonic, he wondered why they it didn't continue to look like it did up by Bourbon Street and Chelino's. He said it looked like a suburban shopping center with the single level restaurants, little to no interaction with the canal, and then of course Bass Pro with its gigantic parking lot full of pick-up trucks and SUV's. I feel the same way and maybe Bass Pro closing would open that site up for a better development with a variety of retail and dining, especially important with Embassy Suites going in right next door.

As it stands, Bass Pro is a major anchor to the area, and makes the largest contribution to the retail aspect of Bricktown. It is a tourist attraction as well as a free parking lot.

As far as Boston goes, their type of urban development is completely different from what you'll find in OKC or any other modern city. He's a poor judge of what is good and bad here development-wise if he's comparing OKC to Boston.

Curt
05-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I can say this for myself, I never would have gone to Bricktown had it not been for Bass Pro, and now that I have found Bricktown I will be back just to visit it again for a couple nights when I get some free time.

BG918
05-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Boston is obviously a lot different than OKC. No argument there. But what my friend was commenting on was that the original part of Bricktown, with its canal/street level restaurants/retail and offices/future loft apartments above is similar to what you would find in the urban areas of Boston and other dense NE cities. He commented on how it is a unique area because they are converted warehouses and the beautifully landscaped canal next to them gives the whole area something you can't find anywhere else. He also liked the potential of the other warehouses north of the canal and loved the urban canyons in the CBD as well as the modern library and art museum. In fact the only thing he didn't like was the new development in Lower Bricktown.

So I think his opinions and those from other large city visitors are important because OKC is on the verge of becoming a large city. We should strive to become more like Boston or similar cities with dense urban cores. Last time I checked these cities were thriving economically, something we all wish would happen in OKC. Bricktown has some great areas but the new development has not measured up and it really is casting an ominous shadow on the rest of the district, at least in the minds of visitors which is not a good thing....

Curt
05-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Well let me say this....I am from Detroit and I wish Detroit was more like OKC. Dont try to be like other cities...be yourself and people will come to see it....I for one would not come back if it reminded me of home. And on the flip side, I would like to see OKC thrive economically so on that side I can understand why you would like to see OKC be more like other cities, there is always a drawback with everything it seems.

Midtowner
05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Boston is obviously a lot different than OKC. No argument there. But what my friend was commenting on was that the original part of Bricktown, with its canal/street level restaurants/retail and offices/future loft apartments above is similar to what you would find in the urban areas of Boston and other dense NE cities. He commented on how it is a unique area because they are converted warehouses and the beautifully landscaped canal next to them gives the whole area something you can't find anywhere else. He also liked the potential of the other warehouses north of the canal and loved the urban canyons in the CBD as well as the modern library and art museum. In fact the only thing he didn't like was the new development in Lower Bricktown.

So I think his opinions and those from other large city visitors are important because OKC is on the verge of becoming a large city. We should strive to become more like Boston or similar cities with dense urban cores. Last time I checked these cities were thriving economically, something we all wish would happen in OKC. Bricktown has some great areas but the new development has not measured up and it really is casting an ominous shadow on the rest of the district, at least in the minds of visitors which is not a good thing....

Bass Pro provided two important things for Bricktown:

#1 -- free parking -- that was the #1 reason why I went elsewhere on Friday nights. I didn't want to have to fork over $5.00 to put my car somewhere.

#2 -- a reason for people to get off of I-40. I'm sure that Bricktown is a major draw for impulsive tourism. People will get off of the interstate to go to the Bricktown area, see what OKC has to offer, and come away with a different perception of our city. I can't tell you how many times I've been down there and given directions to tourists.

At any rate, OKC and Boston have very, very different goals as cities. Also, Lower Bricktown isn't even 1/3 developed yet. There are plans for all kinds of new development over by Toby Keith's and the Sonic building. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got another corporate HQ or two down there, residential dwellings, etc. No matter what though, this is OKC, not Boston. The two places really can't be compared, they're cut from entirely different types of cloth.

NewPlains
05-10-2005, 12:15 AM
I think maybe Bass Pro and Toby Keith aren't what I want people to think of when they think of OKC, but at the same time I know that there's enough space downtown for a little bit of everything, and I think Harkins, Bass Pro etc are important in bringing in people from I-40. If people want to come spend money in my city, I'm not going to turn them away just because I personally would rather be at the art museum seeing a foreign film than out shooting small woodland creatures somewhere (I do like fishing, but that's beside the point). As far as Bass Pro not meeting initial expectations, I think that's probably par for the course for many new urban developments. A lot of early projections tend to be on the sunny side, and the current economy hasn't helped. Also, let us consider the implications of what is primarily a fishing goods store just up the street from a river that is about to be opened for fishing. They would have to be idiots not to see that as an opportunity for future growth. For those of us who feel like it's not hep and urban enough to be in bricktown, consider the opportunity we have to create a more cosmopolitan entertainment district around midtown and the arts district-think about it; stage center, the art museum, our beautiful new library, the civic center, the memorial and museum, a revived plaza court, some wonderful turn of the century buildings just waiting to be filled with resteraunts and shops and music venues...the west side of downtown has a great chance to be a sort of urban balance to the more touristy "suburbanites out for a night on the town" bricktown. Just something to think about.