View Full Version : Anthony Shadid Memorial Saturday - Ambassador to lead service

OkieDave
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
http://www.okc.gov/news/2012_02/Memorial_service_for_Anthony_Shadid_Saturday_March _3_2nd_NR.html

THE CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY - Press Release

Memorial service for Anthony Shadid set for Saturday, March 3
(March 1, 2012) - A memorial service to honor the life of Anthony Shadid will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 3at the Civic Center Music Hall, 201 N Walker.

Shadid, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and foreign correspondent for The New York Times, died February 16 while on assignment in Syria. The service, which will be led by the U.S. Ambassador to Syria, Robert Ford, is expected to draw journalists and dignitaries from around the world.

“In the finest tradition of foreign correspondence, Shadid was never content merely to opine from afar,” Vice President Joe Biden said. “He went where the story took him – from the fall of Saddam Hussein, to the battlefields of Southern Lebanon, to the profound transformations of the Arab Spring – often at extraordinary personal risk. Few foreign correspondents of his generation, or any other, could match his mastery of the language and cultures in the region he covered.”

Shadid, born and raised in Oklahoma City, has a large extended family that still calls Oklahoma City home.

Mayor Mick Cornett said, “He took the values he learned in our community – a sympathetic eye, a sense of right and wrong, and the bravery to point out the difference – and applied them to his craft.”

Friends and colleagues are invited to join the family in honoring his life at the memorial service.

metro
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
This is good they are having this for him. I have a lot of respect for him as a journalist.

On a sidenote, this will be great exposure of OKC to journalists around the world, despite the sad occasion.

jbrown84
03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I remember hearing about his captivity in Libya a couple years ago. That was the first I'd heard of him and his OKC roots. I didn't hear about this until today, nor did I realize he was related to Ed Shadid. Very sad that he died so young. He clearly did some very important and powerful work.

I hope we as a city can find a fitting, permanent memorial for him of some sort. We should.

soonerguru
03-04-2012, 01:48 AM
The Oklahoman article quotes Ed Shadid twice but doesn't even mention he's a city councilman. Fail. This is journalism 101.

jbrown84
03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah kind of weird.