View Full Version : Fun - Free things to do in OK?

Karried
04-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Okay, all of you - advice please? Where can we go for fun FREE/CHEAP activities here in OKC and surrounding areas?

Family, Single, whatever. Any ideas?

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey guys and gals, I'm back in town! Just pulled in the driveway.

I would def. recommend Bricktown, and then Norman (OU, museums, Campus Corner, etc, etc).
Free, eh? Festival of the Arts.

Patrick
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Lake Hefner Trails, picnic lunch out at Stars and Stripes Park, Will Rogers Park, Myriad Botanical Gardens, Martin Nature Park (walk the trails and see the nature center), take a little trip down to Norman and just drive around. I always love shopping downtown Norman and walking around OU. Hit Hafer Park up in Edmond. Of course go to Bricktown.

I'll keep thinking.

Luke
04-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Walk around the Paseo.

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Specific events: any of the downtown parades and Bricktown seasonal events, 4th of July festivities downtown, Christmas in December downtown, Arts Festivals (OKC's and many others...I believe Edmond's is coming up soon!, Paseo's is always a blast in the summer months).

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Paseo's is nothing compared to the city's, which is the nation's second largest!

windowphobe
04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
It's far more than nothing; the scale is a bit more intimate, the setting is more interesting topologically - Paseo, the street, is built on a truly wacky slant - and I seem to get into just as many interesting conversations with people.

Never been to Edmond's, though. I'll have to do something about that.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
What makes Paseo's art festival interesting and more comprehensive is the fact that not only do you have the vendors and booth space in the street, you also have the permanent studios lining the streets. The OKC Festival of Arts simply can't mimic that. I'll admit I like OKC Festival of the Arts better since it is bigger and is downtown, but the Paseo Arts Festival is a nice event to catch during the summer.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh, for free events, add the Bricktown water fountains to your list. Kids just love those. And many people don't know about it, but Bricktown has a pretty nice playground behind Zio's.

dirtrider73068
04-26-2005, 06:11 AM
May fair in norman april 29-may 1st, its a free event the have arts and crafts and live music. Its being held at andrews park.

Karried
04-26-2005, 07:15 AM
When and where is the Paseo Art Festival?

Patrick
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
This year it's May 28th thru May 30th! Memorial Day weekend. Here's a link you can check out for more info. : http://www.thepaseo.com/entry/call.html

Patrick
04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
By the way, going back to what downtownguy mentioned awhile back, I think it's pretty sad that the Paseo has such a nice website but Capitol Hill doesn't have one. The Capitol Hill Association needs to get together and put together a website.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Well they are very simillar districts I guess.

Paseo has a little bit more architecture though.