View Full Version : Louie's

Pages : [1] 2 3

metro
03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I know there has been discussions about Louie's Bar and Grill expanding(Bob Stoops restaurant). They recently leased 4,246 sq. ft. of space in Rockwell Plaza at NW Expressway and Rockwell as well as 3,200 sq. ft. in Spring Creek in Edmond. Additionally they will be replacing the old Boomerang Grill at I-40 and Meridian. Sounds like a pretty big rapid expansion at hand. This will mark there 4th metro location plus the one on Campus Corner in Norman. Mod's can you please delete the City Bite's thread?

John
03-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Louie's has quality food and a friendly atmosphere. It's a perfect 'neighborhood bar', and the expansion proves it.

A very nice place for a business lunch/dinner, happy hour drinks or just going out.

Hal Smith has done well!

Patrick
03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Mod's can you please delete the City Bite's thread?

I took care of it.

BricktownGuy
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Anyone have any more news on Hal Smith and crew??

John
03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone have any more news on Hal Smith and crew??

Such as?

BricktownGuy
03-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Such as?

Such as, new restaurants in the works? Such as, new people they might be partnering up with?

John
03-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Such as, new restaurants in the works? Such as, new people they might be partnering up with?

There are a couple of projects I've learned about. That's all I can say right now.

metro
06-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Work is well underway on the Louie's going in Rockwell Plaza, it will be replacing the Souper Salad that was next to CiCi's pizza.

wsucougz
07-01-2006, 11:01 AM
While I would have to highly disagree that Louie's is the "perfect neighborhood bar," they do have solid food, especially for the money. Great club sandwich.

Martin
08-30-2006, 07:30 AM
i hear that louie's is expanding to sw 89th & western... it's a great place; i've been to the one on campus corner. -M

Midtowner
08-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Isn't part of being a perfect neighborhood bar being in a neighborhood?

The only Louie's I've seen is over by Red Rock/Pearls on the lake. I ducked my head in there once. It was really loud as I recall.

ultimatesooner
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I heard they took over the Champions location in Brookhaven in Norman as well. I saw one in Tulsa a few weeks ago. Louies on the lake is probably my favorite bar in okc

jbrown84
08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
The one in Spring Creek Village in Edmond is very close to many residential neighborhoods.

Easy180
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
They also have a new one next door to Outback on Meridian...That one isn't doing too well...so they have $1.50 domestics all night Mon-Fri

And that includes Boulevard Wheats!!...they are the only location that includes Blvd as a regular domestic

Not very busy, but $1.50 Blvd's make me a regular there

mranderson
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
If Freddies Custard is locating in the former Arvest building, and Louie's is expanding to the corner of SW 89 and Western, then how are the two taking the same intersection? You have CVS, Bank Of America, and Carl's Jr. on the other three corners. None are closing.

I bet Freddie's is either not opening south at this point or the information on them is not accurate. The Louie's location was announced this morning in the Daily Oklahoman. Freddie's has not been mentioned to the best of my knowledge.

Martin
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM
i was thinking the same thing... where's it gonna go?

the arvest seems like the most likely place though i did notice last week that the house just south of the cvs has its windows taken out... perhaps that's where louie's will locate. -M

mranderson
08-30-2006, 06:15 PM
i was thinking the same thing... where's it gonna go?

the arvest seems like the most likely place though i did notice last week that the house just south of the cvs has its windows taken out... perhaps that's where louie's will locate. -M

If that is the case, then it is not at the corner of SW 89 and Western. That places it in the range of the 9200 block of S Western. The corner is the corner and no place else.

Martin
08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
i totally agree that arvest is the most likely location. however, nothing here or in the article in today's oklahoman states that louie's will be on the 'corner' of 89th & western. the article simply gives the intersection as the proximate location for the facility... nobody i've heard from is implying that it has to be at the precise corner.

i believe the target opening date is january. that's going to come pretty quickly, especially if it's new construction. existing vacant buildings in the 89th & western area are the former arvest, painted door and amy's attic buildings.

as for new construction... on the southwest corner of the intersection (where cvs pharmacy lies) there are vacant homes and land to the immediate south and vacant land immediately to the west. besides that, the parking lot of the brookwood shopping center is possibly big enough to accomodate another outparcel just south of the existing arby's.

while it's wishful thinking, i'd love to see both freddy's and louie's go in to this area... i'd bet both would do quite well. but i'm not holding my breath. -M

mranderson
08-31-2006, 03:42 AM
"as for new construction... on the southwest corner of the intersection (where cvs pharmacy lies) there are vacant homes and land to the immediate south and vacant land immediately to the west. besides that, the parking lot of the brookwood shopping center is possibly big enough to accomodate another outparcel just south of the existing arby's."

None of those are on the corner. If someone says "on the corner," I expect something to be "on the corner" and no where else.

BTW. I lived near that intersection for decades and have never heard of the Painted Door. Excatly where was it?

Martin
08-31-2006, 06:13 AM
wow, anderson. the very quote you posted states that the cvs pharmacy is 'on the corner' and that available land is adjacent to that. prior to that remark, the 'corner' is never mentioned anywhere other than where you whine about it.

i only have access to the paper online via the library... so i can't get the article until tomorrow. will it help you to wrap your brain around this subject if i posted it word-for-word?

before moving to bricktown (you've heard of nonna's, right?), the painted door was located a couple blocks north of 89th & western. i'd estimate it opened sometime in the 90's. -M

rbayless
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like they are building a Louie's in Yukon next to Johnny Carino's on Garth Brooks Blvd. I am so happy!

Steve
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I was looking at the council packet this weekend - looks like Louies is coming to the corner of NW 178 and Western

Jon27
04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Looks like they are building a Louie's in Yukon next to Johnny Carino's on Garth Brooks Blvd. I am so happy!

Same here!

tsou89
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
That's great news to me since I live less about a mile from there!

OKCisOK4me
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Are there stoplights there yet?

jbkrems
04-27-2009, 06:37 AM
No, Louie's is coming to the new shopping center at 150th and Western. Just down the street.

kevinpate
04-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I've only been to Louie's once, in Norman. It was ok, but nothing screamed gotta go back, and often, about the place to me. Have they recently changed up the concept? This one, one in Edmond, another going in in Moore.

Apparently there is something happening that didn't resonate with me but catches the attention of others.

Steve
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
jkbrems, according to the ABC permit on the council docket, the restaurant is going in at 1201 NW 178. That would be the shopping center (as shown on a map in the application) next to Washington Irving Elementary. And yes, there is now a stop light at NW 178 and Western. The widening of NW 178 is nearing completion.

OKCREALESTATEGUY
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
The food not that great.

Jon27
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
The food not that great.

I've eaten at the one on NW Expressway, and in Norman. I've had a burger, and BBQ chicken pizza. They were pretty good. I don't know about the rest.

OKCMallen
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I think the food is solid, but it fills a nice hybrid between bar and restaurant, which I appreciate.

rbayless
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I think the food is solid, but it fills a nice hybrid between bar and restaurant, which I appreciate.

Exactly.. and you do not have to worry about the smoke. I have been to the one in Edmond, Norman, Lakeside in OKC, and one on Meridian and they do not allow smoking. The bar/restaurant hybrid comment is spot on. Prices are reasonable too.

Plus think about what Yukon has to offer as far as a bar goes.. Hudsons on Mustang Rd and one or two on Main St. I think this one will be a winner for sure.

jbkrems
04-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Steve, you are correct. I found out today that previous info I was told by a manager there was NOT correct ---- so indeed it will open at 178th and Western, and they are building their own building.

Steve
04-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Interesting on building their own building. I just assumed they're going into the shopping center being built there on the corner (the agenda item simply says it's going ont hat corner).

jbkrems
04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Steve,

Well, once again, the bartender I spoke with could have said something different than what is happening. However, she did confirm it would be going in on that corner, etc.

Steve
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm just relieved to see something classy going into that corner. Typically a restaurant like that will attract decent retailers to go in around it. Should off-set whatever negative is brought about by the apartments.

FritterGirl
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Steve, you are correct. I found out today that previous info I was told by a manager there was NOT correct ---- so indeed it will open at 178th and Western, and they are building their own building.

Yes, and no. The Sooner Traditions development group, which is owned by Switzer, Stoops, (Toby Keith?), et al., is building the entire shopping strip center, and the lovely low-amenity apartment complex right behind it. Louie's, also owned by Sooner Traditions, will be the anchor in said shopping strip center.

In that vein, yes, they are "building their own building." It will not be a stand-alone Louie's, however.

Rescue_Company_One
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
they look like they are cruising right along in there. Hope this place opens soon. Sounds great. Now all we need is a nice dueling piano bar somewhere around there.

fire121
06-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Jersey Mikes Subs "coming soon" sign next door to the new Louie's. I have also heard of a Chick Filet also coming to this area but no signs so far.

rbayless
07-07-2009, 05:10 AM
I drove by Louie's last night and saw about 20 cars in the parking lot. Did not see a sign that said "Opening soon" or "Open now" or anything of the sort. Maybe they were training the new hires? Anyways, looks like they will be open soon!

Jon27
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I drove by Louie's last night and saw about 20 cars in the parking lot. Did not see a sign that said "Opening soon" or "Open now" or anything of the sort. Maybe they were training the new hires? Anyways, looks like they will be open soon!

It's open

fire121
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Ate at Louie's for the second time this week. Always good. Pretty waitresses, too.
The Jersey Mike's permanent sign is now mounted above their location.

rbayless
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Awesome. I will be going there soon.

Rescue_Company_One
07-11-2009, 06:16 AM
the Chic-fil-a thing is on the website for the property owners. I forget the name but I saw that it would be next to RibCrib. Really hope it moves forward soon. As for Louie's, That place has been full every night since it opened. That is awesome. Maybe we can get more stuff here.

C. B.
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Any updates on what other tenants may go into this new development?
I drive past it everyday and am excited to see it open up.

Steve
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I heard a rumor about Panera Bread, but it's just that, a rumor.

jbkrems
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
I know for a FACT that a new sushi restaurant will also anchor the same shopping center. And this is from an extremely reliable and close source to the owner of the sushi place. Not a rumor.

hipsterdoofus
10-29-2009, 07:55 PM
maybe they are waiting for the apartments to finish so they'll have customers - seems like they've been mostly done and all empty for awhile (the shops that is)

jbkrems
10-30-2009, 07:05 AM
I think they want to open in the beginning of next year. Construction also takes longer than just the exterior.

CuatrodeMayo
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Should off-set whatever negative is brought about by the apartments.

Yes, because we all know bottom feeders live in apartments...

hipsterdoofus
10-30-2009, 12:20 PM
What surprised me is that there is a sign that says something about wine and liquor coming soon - but I would think that shopping center would be too close to washington Irving elementary to house a liquor store - I know there is a limit out how close they can be.

FritterGirl
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes, because we all know bottom feeders live in apartments...

Cuatro,

When the apartments were first proposed to the Planning Commission, they were considered a basic no-frills, no-amenities complex (no laundry facilities, exercise room, etc.), with multiple 3-story buildings and several units facing directly over the school and play areas of the adjacent elementary school. Historically, complexes like this tend to turn into HUD properties pretty darn quickly, with a corresponding increase in crime.

The surrounding neighborhoods fought this fervently and considerations were made to the level of amenities availalble as well as aesthetic considerations of the apartments. As someone who lives a few blocks away, I'm still not a fan, but have to take it as it comes. That's what I get for moving into an area where there is a great deal of unestablished land.

Am excited to read about the potential for the shopping space. My SO and I keep wondering which side of the development Louie's will move into.

We've already utilized the great sidewalks to go to the video store and Subway, so are now looking forward to being able to walk here, as well.

Just wish the REALLY nice development at 150th and Western would get some takers. It's really been the victim of construction along Western as well as the economy.

maybe they are waiting for the apartments to finish so they'll have customers - seems like they've been mostly done and all empty for awhile (the shops that is)

There are PLENTY of surrounding single-family housing developments in the immediate vicinity, as well as a retirement home and about 6 or so churches within a mile of there. Not sure they are holding out for a few apartments.

Steve
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Fritter has a point. I'm not one to say all apartments are bad. But some are designed to be bad. Sorry, but I've seen time and again where renters are not invested in their neighborhood, and if the property owner doesn't do anything special with the apartments, they quickly go bad.
I remember when the area at Hefner at Western was a good, middle class neighborhood. But the apartments went without any improvements, and eventually went low rent, then Section 8.
I had close friends who once lived in that neighborhood. No more.
Now I dare you to drive a nice car or SUV to that 7-Eleven and not get held up at gunpoint. It's gang-banger central.
What was especially concerning was that a Realtor trying to drum up business sent a flyer out to everybody living in neighborhoods around NW 178 and Western advising them to sell their homes before the apartment complex was built, thus plunging their home values.
Nice.
This is why I'm always intrigued by the idea that a property owner has the right to do whatever they wish with their land. But what about the rights of their neighbors to enjoy a peaceful existance without drug dealers next door? Yeah, there's a lot of NIMBY going on here. And one can look at The Gables and some other older apartment complexes around town as examples of good property owners who haven't damaged surrounding areas with multi-family housing.
Final note: In all my years covering the city, I can't remember a single time when council members approved any multi-family projects of any quality next to their homes.

Steve
11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Fritter, I know the footprint of the complex was changed - did they upgrade the apts as well?

FritterGirl
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Fritter, I know the footprint of the complex was changed - did they upgrade the apts as well?

As I recall, the original plans, as proposed to the Planning Commission, had more siding. I attended one of the early PC meetings when the adjoining neighborhoods first started protesting (before I started working for my current employer *ahem*). I believe the PC asked the developer to make several concessions to the plans, including increasing the brick:siding ratio (I think they have to be 2/3 brick), and including at least a laundry facility as an on-site amenity. I think they are also being required to build a brick wall along the north side of the complex to create a sight/noise barrier between the apartments and the school. I haven't really been able to check out the north side of the complex to see if they've done this or not. There may have been additional concessions, but that was about 2 years ago, so I don't remember all of the details.

I won't go into some of the "tactics" Sooner Traditions tried to pull with regard to the surrounding HOAs. I'll simply say I have NO respect for this company, regardless of who owns it.

Ironically, (again - IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) ST tried to purchase property just inside the Edmond limits to build a similar complex and another of Barry Switzer's "Sports Locker" storage facilities. They were refused outright, which is why they've taken over the N. Western corridor.

What was especially concerning was that a Realtor trying to drum up business sent a flyer out to everybody living in neighborhoods around NW 178 and Western advising them to sell their homes before the apartment complex was built, thus plunging their home values. Nice.

We got one of these, too, and had been in our home less than a year.

Steve
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I called my councilman to inform him of the flyer and sent him a copy of it.

Steve
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Council tomorrow will consider an ABC-2 zoning for a sushi bar restaurant on the shopping center's east corner.

C. B.
12-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the update.

Please pass along anything else you hear.

Midtowner
12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I never could quite understand why people would get excited about yet another generic casual dining restaurant coming to Edmond...

dengar22
12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
From an out-of-towner - what is Louies?