View Full Version : Durant is NBA All Star's MVP.

Laramie
02-26-2012, 10:47 PM
"It ranks right up there at the top," Durant said. "I keep saying it, but I'm excited I got it, and I'm glad I get to celebrate this with my family and my teammates and everybody in Oklahoma City. We'll see if I get another one down the line."

http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2012/story/_/id/7619479/oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant-named-2012-all-star-game-mvp

metro
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Does this mean anything economically for OKC? Will they display a banner in arena for this achievement? Just curious how OKC will celebrate, if at all.

kevinpate
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Does this mean anything economically for OKC? Will they display a banner in arena for this achievement? Just curious how OKC will celebrate, if at all.

As to the first part, doubtful.
As to the second part, I suppose it is possible though it's more a personal item than a team item and they seem to really be into the whole there is no I in team thang.
As to the third, other than a passle of well wishes, attaboys on twitter and folks clapping a bit harder for KD, there may not be anything more than has already happened. Can't say as I recall ever reading about a special MVP party or parade other than a right then and there sort of nod. The bigger sports buffs can certainly correct me if it happens all the time and I just failed to notice.

MikeOKC
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
As to the first part, doubtful.
As to the second part, I suppose it is possible though it's more a personal item than a team item and they seem to really be into the whole there is no I in team thang.
As to the third, other than a passle of well wishes, attaboys on twitter and folks clapping a bit harder for KD, there may not be anything more than has already happened. Can't say as I recall ever reading about a special MVP party or parade other than a right then and there sort of nod. The bigger sports buffs can certainly correct me if it happens all the time and I just failed to notice.

I've read about this very thing and I don't remember where - probably here! There is a very strict protocol from the NBA that teams must follow. Outside of corporate sponsorships, "recognition" banners (or something like that) - for specific achievements - are limited to divisional/conference/national titles, annual league MVP (not the All-Star MVP) and retired jerseys. Literally, I am thinking that's all they allow for these purposes. Maybe somebody can explain further. Betts? I have no idea why this would be the case, but that's what I read.

metro
03-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Makes sense, thanks guys.