View Full Version : Top 10 richest zip codes

kbsooner
02-26-2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/richest-zip-codes-in-america_n_1297611.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/richest-zip-codes-in-america_n_1297611.html#s721024&title=5_Oklahoma_City)

Check out #5 and the shameful pic they posted. Seriously, no doubt this was done on purpose...

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/210937/slide_210937_721024_large.jpg?1330039496

UncleCyrus
02-26-2012, 07:16 PM
73154 is the ZIP code for the Shartel Station post office, not a neighborhood. Is that where Chesapeake gets their mail?

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
That's just unbelievable - the whole idea of 73154 being special and, especially, that horrendous photo.

BDK
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Do two of the OKC billionaires live in that postcode or something? That's all I can think of...

kbsooner
02-26-2012, 07:33 PM
What is up with this zip? From the article...

Average income (in thousands): $888
Number of returns: 368
Effective tax rate: 27.9 percent

kbsooner
02-26-2012, 07:37 PM
The post office theory seems to make the most sense.

So people are listing their PO box as their home address on their taxes?

progressiveboy
02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
It is quite sad to read the comments posted about OKC. It seems no matter how hard OKC pulls itself up by it's boot straps people seem to always rag on OKC and Oklahoma.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 07:39 PM
So people are listing their PO box as their home address on their taxes?

I do! Always have.

kbsooner
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
IRS says use PO boxes if you can't get mail to your house. However, I suspect that if you are "super-wealthy", you don't get mail at your home. Getting mail sent to a PO and then picked up regularly by an assistant makes sense.

OK that makes sense. So this is likely the PO for the Nichols Hills locals?

lasomeday
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
That is why I don't read the Huffington Post. BAD INFO!

They twist everything and are anit-red states.

They also steal news reports and put their names on it.

Spartan
02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think Ariana Huffington has ever been within 3-4 states of OKC, so what do they care...

catch22
02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Haters gon' hate.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I imagine the PO on Avondale would have the most Nichol's Hills boxholders.

I'm baffled. CHK does use PO Box 18496 at the Shartel station for general inquiries and such, but I can't imagine they'd use it for anything more than that.

UncleCyrus
02-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Shartel Station also covers Crown Heights, which contains several affluent households. I'm sure not every wealthy homeowner in town wants to advertise themselves by living in Nichols Hills.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure how many from Nichols Hills uses it. I have been to it many times. The neighborhood, especially to the east and south, is by no means rich. I suspect Uncle Cyrus is correct. This PO is right near Chesapeake.

This was just personal right? If it included corporate tax returns too, then Chesapeake's income could skew the other 367 returns pretty easily. $500M in net income averages out to over $1.3M per return.

However, using the math you provided, that's $326M for the entire zip code.

The other zip codes listed in that list are Wall Street and NYC friendly, but that still doesn't put a little PO with one big corporation into the top 5. You would think Michigan Avenue in Chicago, zips in Houston, LA, Dallas, SF Financial District, etc. would make the list if they included corporate returns. Of course, on the other hand, counting only personal returns you'd think Beverly Hills and many other neighborhoods would top 73154 in OKC.

I'm really baffled.

Spartan
02-26-2012, 08:23 PM
So this "ZIP code" voted Obama?

And I've been to Wichita Falls, which actually makes Lawton look really nice. That's saying something.

okcpulse
02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Based on the posts I've read, it is clear that America thinks the only people that should be living in Oklahoma are poor, ignorant yokels. Some more of that BS, two-faced "let's all be equal" philosophy hard at work for ya. What a joke.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Based on the posts I've read, it is clear that America thinks the only people that should be living in Oklahoma are poor, ignorant yokels. Some more of that BS, two-faced "let's all be equal" philosophy hard at work for ya. What a joke.

You mean the comments at the article? I didn't dare wade in there, I would have been too angry.

bluedogok
02-26-2012, 09:43 PM
That is pretty much their mentality of the entire country between the coasts.

okcpulse
02-26-2012, 09:45 PM
You mean the comments at the article? I didn't dare wade in there, I would have been too angry.

Yes, my apologies. The comments in the article.

OKCTalker
02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I imagine the PO on Avondale would have the most Nichol's Hills boxholders.

There's no post office on Avondale, in fact none in Nichols Hills at all. Nearest are the 73154 station on Shartel, and the one on Britton Road west of Broadway Extension.

Grand Central Station is number 10 on their list. This demonstrates that this is a collection of statistics which, although perhaps correct, are meaningless from a practical standpoint.

ctchandler
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
sidburgess,
I live in a very average neighborhood but have one neighbor that uses a P. O. Box. He is really quiet and I haven't met him. He's been here over five years. And yes, we do get home delivery.
C. T.

IRS says use PO boxes if you can't get mail to your house. However, I suspect that if you are "super-wealthy", you don't get mail at your home. Getting mail sent to a PO and then picked up regularly by an assistant makes sense.

MikeOKC
02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
There's no post office on Avondale, in fact none in Nichols Hills at all. Nearest are the 73154 station on Shartel, and the one on Britton Road west of Broadway Extension.

Grand Central Station is number 10 on their list. This demonstrates that this is a collection of statistics which, although perhaps correct, are meaningless from a practical standpoint.

You know, I really couldn't picture anything but thought there surely was one. I found this http://www.yellowpages.com/nichols-hills-ok/post-office and - learned not to trust yellowpages.com(!) Thanks for the correction. I certainly agree about the list, btw. No rhyme or reason.

RadicalModerate
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Did you know that the same Zip Code that "works" for Edmond (OK) also applies to "Bray" (OK)?
Really. It does.
I think it was a Post Office joke of the inside variety.
(Pre-dating the Internet =)

OKCTalker
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
You know, I really couldn't picture anything but thought there surely was one. I found this http://www.yellowpages.com/nichols-hills-ok/post-office and - learned not to trust yellowpages.com(!) Thanks for the correction. I certainly agree about the list, btw. No rhyme or reason.

I don't count on YP either - I toss the books whenever they arrive (home & office), and hate - absolutely HATE - writing checks to them every month.

Bunty
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
It is quite sad to read the comments posted about OKC. It seems no matter how hard OKC pulls itself up by it's boot straps people seem to always rag on OKC and Oklahoma.

Blame it on Sally Kern and most recently that legislator who wants human fetuses banned from food.

OKCTalker
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Blame it on Sally Kern and most recently that legislator who wants human fetuses banned from food.

Bunty - you're looking for the politics forum, its over here ---> http://www.okctalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

windowphobe
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Nichols Hills, if you're keeping score, falls generally into 73116.

NoOkie
02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Bunty - you're looking for the politics forum, its over here ---> http://www.okctalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

No, there's merit to this. People in other areas think of Oklahoma as very country, or just full of religious nuts. I have family in rural New York(which is actually a pretty conservative place) and they think our politicians are whack jobs. I won't repeat what the Vermont and Portland, OR branches of the family think. I've been able to turn a few opinions around by getting people to come visit. I don't love Oklahoma, but it's really not a bad place to live. There's a lot of positives about Oklahoma and OKC in general, but they get overshadowed in the national narrative by stupid political stunts like the anti-Sharia Law movement and the edible fetus ban.

Bunty
02-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Sorry, but Sally Kern and other wacko politicians are relevant as to what outsiders think of Oklahoma and Oklahoma City. However, the fact that Oklahoma and Oklahoma City recently elected its first openly gay state senator, probably won't get the publicity to outsiders it deserves.

BDP
03-05-2012, 09:38 AM
However, the fact that Oklahoma and Oklahoma City recently elected its first openly gay state senator, probably won't get the publicity to outsiders it deserves.

It will when Sally adds an amendment to the Personhood Bill that excludes gay people.