View Full Version : Von Maur

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Chadanth
10-19-2014, 11:37 AM
We went last night. As we walked in the door my husband looked at me and said "it looks just like Nordstrom". All in all we liked it although we didn't buy anything. It was just a trip to check it out. I saw lots of brands available at Dillard's but you will never get their kind of service at Dillard's. We also overheard a sales associate in the men's department explaining to a customer how even though they may sell some of the same brands as Dillard's they exclusive rights in Oklahoma for certain styles that are only availbe at Their stores, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I know he mentioned Tommy Bahama but I can't recall the other brands he mentioned.

They sell bahama at macys. They did seem to have the better Polo stuff, they carry main line Brooks Brothers, which is great, and some better mid-level suiting. Basically, slightly better than Dillard's, with a much nicer decor. Not quite Mr Ooleys, but not that tier of prices.

Plutonic Panda
10-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Plu, I don't know if you are bored to tears, have waaaay too much free time on your hands, or perhaps should simply consider developing some planning skills. :)
Five trips or more a month just to shop at a specific store 200 miles away? Sheesh, even if it were a local shop, that's a lot of shipping unless you are a personal buyer for a few different folk, and even then, more than once a week? I can barely wrap my head around the notion.I eat at Pappadeaux when I'm down there. Does that help?

The 5 times a month thing isn't exact, but about average. I also have friends and family I see on occasion.

Urban Pioneer
10-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Wife went. Was impressed. Not quite Nordstrums but not too far from the mark. The stuff they brought home was impressively gift wrapped. I'm now down with going over there and giving it a shot.

brunnesa
10-20-2014, 02:18 PM
I went on Friday. I found it to be very expensive. I was looking for work clothes. $80 for a polo shirt is crazy!

Chadanth
10-21-2014, 07:52 AM
I went on Friday. I found it to be very expensive. I was looking for work clothes. $80 for a polo shirt is crazy!

It's not Sears.

dcsooner
10-21-2014, 07:56 AM
It's not Sears.

Agree with you. This is the one things that irks me the most about some OKC residents, they want nice, upscale restaurants, clothing and entertainment options available in larger cities and then complain about the cost. No wonder high end retailers avoid OKC

brunnesa
10-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Agree with you. This is the one things that irks me the most about some OKC residents, they want nice, upscale restaurants, clothing and entertainment options available in larger cities and then complain about the cost. No wonder high end retailers avoid OKC

I honestly had no idea that it would be that expensive. I just do not have the income to afford clothes of that price. I know some do, and I hope they shop there. It is a nice store.

DoctorTaco
10-21-2014, 08:17 AM

You could throw "housing" into this list as well.

Rover
10-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Was in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Went to Barneys. Wanted to get a work shirt, but the one I wanted was $420. Go figure.

People in OKC have a hard time grasping what it means to have and support more upscale products and retailers.

bchris02
10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Was in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Went to Barneys. Wanted to get a work shirt, but the one I wanted was $420. Go figure.

People in OKC have a hard time grasping what it means to have and support more upscale products and retailers.

What cities the size of OKC can support the super high-end department stores like Barneys, Neiman Marcus, or Bloomingdales? Nordstrom and Saks yes but supporting the super high-end retailers isn't easy in a city this size. I do think OKC lags its peers in this area but ultimately high-end retail is sustained by the sales volume, not the budget-conscious people complaining its too expensive. Lets see what kind of business Von Maur does. If it does well, that may be a sign that OKC really is ready for higher-end retail.

adaniel
10-21-2014, 09:55 AM

$80 for a Polo is not bad, and in line with what I paid for similar clothing at the Dillards Penn Square.

Pete
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM

There are plenty of expensive, high-retailers in OKC: Balliet's and Mr. Ooley's, for example, carry very nice and expensive lines. Plenty of other other high-end men's and women's stores in OKC.

Chain department stores are not the only ones that sell expensive items.

TheTravellers
10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
One very fair comparison to Nordies is the VM customer service.

They hire almost exclusively full-time employees (with only a small number of part-timers during the holiday crush), offer free gift wrapping, etc.

I can assure you that service is what makes Nordstrom great, at least for me. Especially here in California, they don't carry anything I can't get elsewhere; I go for the personal service.

That Von Maur even approaches that level completely separates it from places like Dillards and Macys.

The service and credit card is what got my wife going there when we lived in IL, they train their sales folks very well, no other store that large that we've been in has that kind of service (no, we don't go to Nordstrom's, so we don't know what theirs is like).

Filthy
10-21-2014, 02:45 PM
The merchandise, however, is very VERY niche. Macy's, JCP, and even Nordstrom have a much more diverse product line. I will probably never shop there, but I think it does the job of raising the bar at Quail.

Can you explain this comment? I haven't been yet...but have seen others make similar comments. What makes the products they are offering "VERY" niche?

CuatrodeMayo
10-21-2014, 03:57 PM
You have to be over 70 to buy them?

bradh
10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
look i get it's a forum and everyone wants to be the funny wise guy, but that's a gigantic stretch.

Chadanth
10-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Can you explain this comment? I haven't been yet...but have seen others make similar comments. What makes the products they are offering "VERY" niche?

I don't really get that statement either. They have a fair variety of lines, maybe not as broad as Dillard's, but the store isn't crammed and disorganized either.

ctchandler
10-21-2014, 08:07 PM

CuatrodeMayo,
I'm 71, am I too old? Actually, as a widower, I am not into certain things. Levi's and decent shirts suit (pun intended) me. In your opinion, since I'm not chasing women, why would I want to go there? I probably will just to see it.
C. T.

AP
10-21-2014, 08:09 PM

+1

Mike_M
10-21-2014, 08:51 PM
+1

By describing the niche, I will undoubtedly offend someone. But it's a place where I will shop for my parents and that's about it. With the exception of a section or two of Thunder/OU/OSU shirts, it's like a Brooks Brothers super store. Not really a look me or any of my friends go for.

bchris02
10-21-2014, 08:55 PM
I am thinking this store may suit the needs of some of the people here who aren't pleased with Von Maur. Plus, its local so I hope they get plenty of support.

New men's clothing boutique to open in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce | News OK (http://newsok.com/new-mens-clothing-boutique-to-open-in-oklahoma-citys-deep-deuce/article/5358478)

Debzkidz
10-22-2014, 05:14 AM
They sell bahama at macys. They did seem to have the better Polo stuff, they carry main line Brooks Brothers, which is great, and some better mid-level suiting. Basically, slightly better than Dillard's, with a much nicer decor. Not quite Mr Ooleys, but not that tier of prices.

Lots of places sell Tommy Bahama. That's not what I said. What I was trying to say is they carry shirts, for example, that the company will only sell to them, Neimans and Nordstrom. You can find the brand other places in town but you cannot buy the same exact shirt anywhere else in town.

bradh
10-22-2014, 07:38 AM
I am thinking this store may suit the needs of some of the people here who aren't pleased with Von Maur. Plus, its local so I hope they get plenty of support.

New men's clothing boutique to open in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce | News OK (http://newsok.com/new-mens-clothing-boutique-to-open-in-oklahoma-citys-deep-deuce/article/5358478)

slim fit clothing...good Lord, for the metro male who's never seen the inside of a gym. the quest continues...

edit - okay so the owner doesn't look "slim" on the picture on the website, but damn we're not all 6' 160lbs

AP
10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
slim fit clothing...good Lord, for the metro male who's never seen the inside of a gym. the quest continues...

edit - okay so the owner doesn't look "slim" on the picture on the website, but damn we're not all 6' 160lbs

I hate the name and I probably won't wear the clothing, but I have quite a few friends I work with who will probably shop here. I don't think its terrible just not my style.

And while I have been making jokes about Von Maur, I probably will check it out. Brooks Brothers is right up my alley.

ctchandler
10-22-2014, 09:52 AM
By describing the niche, I will undoubtedly offend someone. But it's a place where I will shop for my parents and that's about it. With the exception of a section or two of Thunder/OU/OSU shirts, it's like a Brooks Brothers super store. Not really a look me or any of my friends go for.

Mike_M,
Are you available for adoption? I would love to have a son/daughter that would shop for me.
C. T.

Jeepnokc
10-22-2014, 10:16 AM

I saw the story this weekend and thought the same. But hey, I am 6' 160" if you let your finger slip over from the 2 to the 1

bradh
10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I hate the name and I probably won't wear the clothing, but I have quite a few friends I work with who will probably shop here. I don't think its terrible just not my style.

And while I have been making jokes about Von Maur, I probably will check it out. Brooks Brothers is right up my alley.

If it's carrying BB's retail line and not their outlet offerings (which I still buy anyway at the Shoppes), I'll be happy for sure

Chadanth
10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
If it's carrying BB's retail line and not their outlet offerings (which I still buy anyway at the Shoppes), I'll be happy for sure

It's the regular stuff, not the outlet clothing. I bought a couple shirts, and they have some sweaters, suiting, etc. It's not a massive selection, but I love Brooks Brothers stuff and it's nice to finally have some here.

Rover
10-22-2014, 02:21 PM

For everyone here that looks forward to chains like H&M, Uniqlo, etc., to come here, they should know it is hard to find men's clothes that are over about 34 or 35 inch wastes and most of their offerings are slim and tight fitting. Maybe that's why they are slow to come to OKC. LOL.

Filthy
10-22-2014, 02:33 PM

I guess I don't understand what wearing somewhat fashion forward clothing has to do with body type, and or working out in gym. Regardless of bodytype, you can have your clothing tailored to your liking. It is refreshing seeing a clothing boutique like this one, coming to OKC. As someone who travels quite a bit for business on the East Coast, when I come back to OKC...its is like stepping into a time warp, in regards to mens and womens fashion. While Dillards, Macys, and Van Muer might be ok for some...others from the OKC have had to travel to Dallas over the years, to find somewhat fashionable clothing lines in a brick and mortar store. Obviously.....the majority of Oklahomans could care less about their appearance, but its good to see these types of boutiques open here for those that do. I hope the trend continues.

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2014, 02:40 PM
For everyone here that looks forward to chains like H&M, Uniqlo, etc., to come here, they should know it is hard to find men's clothes that are over about 34 or 35 inch wastes and most of their offerings are slim and tight fitting. Maybe that's why they are slow to come to OKC. LOL.Isn't there a store called Destination large or something?

bchris02
10-22-2014, 02:58 PM
I guess I don't understand what wearing somewhat fashion forward clothing has to do with body type, and or working out in gym. Regardless of bodytype, you can have your clothing tailored to your liking.

I haven't seen or done any research, but my assumption is there is probably a correlation between obesity and lack of fashion consciousness. I mean absolutely no offense to obese people. There have been a few points in my life where I have been overweight bordering on obesity, but my thought is those who care about fashion will probably care about their body's appearance as well.

Jeepnokc
10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
From the Daily Oklahoman article:

The store will cater to more European tastes, with slim-fit clothing. Slim will carry brands that include Maceoo, Au Noir, Bertigo and Via Uomo.

I travel to Europe often and European styles are not for large people...even large fit people in shape. I very rarely buy clothes in Europe as they just don't fit me as a big chunky guy. I can't shop at Brooks brothers or Banana Republic either.

However, even big people still care about their looks and fashion. Thankfully, places like Teena Hicks can custom order and custom make clothes that fit those that the traditional designers ignore. Hopefully Von Maur (back on topic) will have some clothes in the larger sizes 2xl and not just stop at xl. Tommy Bahama gets its and offers larger sizes. Unfortunately, the 2xls are just huge and too big whereas the xl are just a little small.

bradh
10-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I guess I don't understand what wearing somewhat fashion forward clothing has to do with body type, and or working out in gym. Regardless of bodytype, you can have your clothing tailored to your liking. It is refreshing seeing a clothing boutique like this one, coming to OKC. As someone who travels quite a bit for business on the East Coast, when I come back to OKC...its is like stepping into a time warp, in regards to mens and womens fashion. While Dillards, Macys, and Van Muer might be ok for some...others from the OKC have had to travel to Dallas over the years, to find somewhat fashionable clothing lines in a brick and mortar store. Obviously.....the majority of Oklahomans could care less about their appearance, but its good to see these types of boutiques open here for those that do. I hope the trend continues.

It's got nothing to do with not understanding style or not wearing stylish clothes. My beef is not with the style but the "fit," so when I read Euro slim fitting clothes, I know that my 5'9 200lb athletic frame will be SOL when it comes to shopping at this place. At most fashion forward places, if I grab a pair of jeans that are my waist size, I'm very lucky to get them over mid quad. I guess I could tailor everything I buy, but clothes are expensive enough. I typically get a lot of my stuff from Trunk Club, as they seem to be able to find stuff that fits athletic builds well.

Filthy
10-22-2014, 06:49 PM
It's got nothing to do with not understanding style or not wearing stylish clothes. My beef is not with the style but the "fit," so when I read Euro slim fitting clothes, I know that my 5'9 200lb athletic frame will be SOL when it comes to shopping at this place. At most fashion forward places, if I grab a pair of jeans that are my waist size, I'm very lucky to get them over mid quad. I guess I could tailor everything I buy, but clothes are expensive enough. I typically get a lot of my stuff from Trunk Club, as they seem to be able to find stuff that fits athletic builds well.

Understood. I guess my misunderstanding was in your term athletic frame. As I see guys like Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka wearing "European" or slimline clothing, and I see them as Having "athletic" body types. But I completely understand what you are saying now.

Back on topic though....Yea, Van Maur!!!!!!

kevinpate
10-22-2014, 07:31 PM
I remember the days of being 6' and 160 lbs. Eighth grade was a real blast.

boscorama
10-23-2014, 08:57 PM
They have windows! Exit doors marked ("North") for easy orientation. You can look around and pretty much see everybody in the store, on that level. Mirrored pillars along with ceiling lighting galore - fabulous. Merchandise includes some familiar brands but new looks. I shall return for some shopping. Yes!

Mike_M
10-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Slight Digression. I'm in Minneapolis for work and just came from the Nordstrom in the Mall of America. From the ceiling light fixtures, to the fonts/colors of the signs designating each section, all the way down to the mirrored pillars, it is almost a splitting image of the Von Maur in OKC. It was almost eerie how similar they looked, like I wouldn't be surprised if the original RFP said "make it look like the Nordstrom in Mall of America"

HOT ROD
10-28-2014, 09:24 PM
shouldn't we do a thread for the new Slim boutique? isn't this thread for VM

MadMonk
10-29-2014, 05:55 AM
I visited Von Maur this past weekend. It's a nice store and definitely not as cluttered as say, Dillard's. But its a little pricey for my needs. (I've never been the Ralph Lauren type) I know that there are people that place more importance on fashion in their lives than I do, so I'm sure they'll find happiness there, but to each their own. Having a piano player in the store is pretty cool. He's a friendly guy too.

Dustin
12-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Took this tonight. Are the lights a year round thing?

http://i.imgur.com/5gi9yLqh.jpg

bchris02
12-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Has anybody heard anything about how Von Maur is doing?

Pete
12-14-2014, 06:52 PM

Because they received incentives from the City, I'm pretty sure they will have to report their sales numbers on a regular basis, ala Bass Pro.

So, over time we should be able to track their numbers against the projections.

Chadanth
12-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Because they received incentives from the City, I'm pretty sure they will have to report their sales numbers on a regular basis, ala Bass Pro.

So, over time we should be able to track their numbers against the projections.

I'd be interested to see those numbers. They seem steady,but not packed by any means. I still like the store.

ljbab728
12-14-2014, 08:56 PM

I was there Thursday morning for the first time. It was moderately busy. I was very impressed by the friendliness of the employees. They were going out of their way to be helpful to everyone.

LandArchPoke
12-14-2014, 10:12 PM
I wasn't terribly impressed with the street. The carpet was horribly ugly (when was teal ok in this day in age?). The employees were super friendly I will say, much better service than Dillard's or Macy's with the only place I've had better service in Oklahoma is Saks in Tulsa. However, one guy was a bit overly snooty for the quality of the store when he asked me what I thought. I told him it was similar quality to the Macy's at Woodland Hills, and he asked me if they have three designers I had never heard of then rolled off that the Ralph Lauren selection they get is only carried by Neiman and Nordstrom.

Part of the problem was the younger men's section (as I'm under 30) was extremely limited. The Ralph Lauren section was about 1/5 of that one at Macy's in Woodland Hills and probably 1/10 of the one at Dillard's at Woodland Hills (even if it is elusive to only a few department stores it still sucked). They did have Diesel, but again it was literally one rack. The three things I saw I liked, not a single small. I ended up finding a Michael Kors orange purse for my mom however, that she loved and now wears to all the OSU games.

If I was a 50+ year old man I'm sure I would like the store a lot more. Color me unimpressed. I think it will help Quail Springs though try to reposition itself some, and it's always great to see new retailers opening in the state though.

Mike_M
12-17-2014, 07:47 AM
If I was a 50+ year old man I'm sure I would like the store a lot more. Color me unimpressed. I think it will help Quail Springs though try to reposition itself some, and it's always great to see new retailers opening in the state though.

+1

Pete
01-13-2015, 01:28 PM
In a presentation to City Council this morning, Roy Williams reported that Von Maur has exceeded their projections thus far and had a very strong holiday season.

Yet another retailer that comes to OKC and surpasses expectations.

bchris02
01-13-2015, 01:52 PM
In a presentation to City Council this morning, Roy Williams reported that Von Maur has exceeded their projections thus far and had a very strong holiday season.

Yet another retailer that comes to OKC and surpasses expectations.

This is very good news.

Pete
01-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Since they receive City incentives, they have to report their numbers.

Will be very interesting to see when that first report comes out.

zachj7
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Indeed good news. Are companies hesitant to come to OKC unaware of other stores exceeding numbers? This will only help us in the long run!

bchris02
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Indeed good news. Are companies hesitant to come to OKC unaware of other stores exceeding numbers? This will only help us in the long run!

Whole Foods.

They probably wouldn't be here to this day if it wasn't for Aubrey McClendon. They did so well they have already expanded and if I am not mistaking, are one of the top stores in the chain.

Pete
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Yes, Whole Foods totally blew through their projections.

Also, I know the OKC Anthropologie store has done great and is beating numbers from the Utica Square location.

And I'm sure both will only do better as the area develops around it. I know West Elm has already helped Anthropologie (I know someone who works there).

Motley
01-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Pete,

Don't you think the real issue with "premier" stores choosing not to locate in OKC has more to do with the lack of a modern and upscale lifestyle center than with the market and income levels? I think a beautifully designed center in OKC, along the lines of the Grove in LA, would have these types of stores lining up to enter the market.

Pete
01-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Pete,

Don't you think the real issue with "premier" stores choosing not to locate in OKC has more to do with the lack of a modern and upscale lifestyle center than with the market and income levels? I think a beautifully designed center in OKC, along the lines of the Grove in LA, would have these types of stores lining up to enter the market.

Absolutely.

If OKC had something like Utica Square, this would be a non-issue.

As it is, if you are Restoration Hardware and looking in Oklahoma (and these chains almost always look at OKC & Tulsa simultaneously) where would you choose? You go to Utica Square because that's a slam dunk. Then where? Penn Square? OKC doesn't have a true lifestyle center.

BTW, one of the reasons one never evolved in OKC was due to 50 Penn Place. It was essentially that exact thing, but it never had a retail anchor, Penn Square took some of it's tenants, and it went downhill fast.

But it was more or less a defacto lifestyle center at the time and thus another one never really developed.

Motley
01-13-2015, 03:53 PM
I cannot understand why a developer doesn't see the potential and do one. Lots of locations around town would work and it could be a true urban center with housing, retail, food, and entertainment in a compact design. Baton Rouge has Perkins Rowe as a great example of the size and mix of what would be a great success here.

bchris02
01-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Pete, do you think Chisholm Creek may finally fill that niche?

I totally agree the lack of a quality shopping center probably has more to do with OKC not getting certain retailers than Tulsa looking better on paper. When I was down in Frisco recently I took notice of some of the shopping centers there and thought there was absolutely no reason OKC couldn't have that kind of shopping. Tuscana would have been the development to fix OKC's retail woes if it would have been built. Cities all across the country were getting them during the mid 2000s boom. Unfortunately, OKC's was proposed a little too late.

Pete
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM
No, I don't think Chisholm Creek is the answer. They are too far north.

Glimcher is by far the best opportunity and I'm sure that's what they've been working on.

Motley
01-13-2015, 04:26 PM
I agree. Chisholm Creek is not quite right. Too big, although it will be a welcome improvement over the current state of centers in OKC. The Glimcher location is the perfect location if they do it right. I could also see something near Baptist Medical or maybe even the Shepard Mall site. It would be a draw onto itself, so people would come; add housing on the upper levels or in a midrise on the site, a Cinepolis theatre, some unique restaurants, a TJ or other destination grocer, and some room for small businesses, and you have a vibrant community.

I could see one in Edmond or Norman too.

Plutonic Panda
08-26-2016, 03:57 PM
I heard the other day that said sales goal for this store was not reached. Did not seem like a good tune. Anyone have any other info?