View Full Version : 39th Street Aerial 4/4/76

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
This has special meaning to me because I graduated from Putnam City in 1978, so this photo was from the spring of my sophomore year.

I did my best to label it -- everything noted has been verified through the County Assessor and/or old ads.

Thought others might enjoy seeing it, because it was the hey-day of all food places and was still the place to cruise.

Anybody remember the name of the small restaurant on the NE corner of Ann Arbor & 39th? Think they served steaks? It's a Taco Bell now.

In fact, absolutely none of these places are in business any more.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/39th76.jpg

yukong
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Wow, that does bring back memories. I graduated from Yukon in '78. We didn't get a McDonalds until the fall of '77 or early early spring of '78 as it opened during the late part of my senior year. Thus, we didn't have much in Yukon other than Sonic, Pizza Hut and Ken's. We had another small drive-in but I cannot remember the name. So a lot of us would cruise 39th on Friday nights because of the presence of more food joints. Taco Bell was one of our favorites. And I wish I had a dollar for every round of golf I played at that Putt-Putt. We were there a lot. Thanks for posting this photo.

Pete
02-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Just figured out the restaurant on the NE corner of 39th & Ann Arbor was Larry's Steak House.

Pete
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Here's a photo of that Putt-Putt. Spent many hours there myself:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/puttputt.jpg

OKCisOK4me
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
I remember that putt-putt! Only because, I would climb over the orange fence and go play on the tracks behind the place. Big rail fan.

Achilleslastand
02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Nice pic and nice memories as well especially the putt-putt along with cruising up and down 39th st.
Wasnt Bonapartes the place where you could order your food from your table via the telephone?

Pete
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Wasnt Bonapartes the place where you could order your food from your table via the telephone?

That was Across the Street.

Bonaparte's was a drive-in.

Achilleslastand
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
That was Across the Street.

Bonaparte's was a drive-in.

I seem to remember a Bonapartes around the hefner/britton and may area where you could order by phone at your table. Was in the early/mid 70s so maybe im incorrect.

metro
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Just figured out the restaurant on the NE corner of 39th & Ann Arbor was Larry's Steak House.
Yes, it was Larry's.

MustangGT
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Pete, Steak and Ale was the next property east of Taco Bueno at 39th/Meridian

metro
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
In fact, absolutely none of these places are in business any more.

Taco Bueno is still there, just been remodeled over the years.Also, no biggie but it's misspelled on the map. On a side note, my dad was VP of Big L for about 30 years or so. As a kid, I'd play at Putt Putt all the time.

Pete
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
True about Bueno! That is the one exception, which is remarkable if you think about it.

One of the very first TB's was at 50th and MacArthur but has been long gone for a while now.

boscorama
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
The place on N May was Across The Street.

There was a Bonaparte's inside Shepherd Mall, with table phones for ordering.

UnclePete
02-21-2012, 04:44 AM
I worked on the train that came up to the location of the map from the South. We would then get on the East-West track and go East as far as Portland, and go West to just past MacArthur. Lots of customers for rail service--Wiley Bennett (butter house) and GE to the East, and a lumber yard West of MacArthur, and a team track East of MacArthur. The main customer at the team track was Kiespert's grocery store that would get carloads of paper sacks.

I remember that putt-putt! Only because, I would climb over the orange fence and go play on the tracks behind the place. Big rail fan.

RadicalModerate
02-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Taco Bueno is still there, just been remodeled over the years.Also, no biggie but it's misspelled on the map. On a side note, my dad was VP of Big L for about 30 years or so. As a kid, I'd play at Putt Putt all the time.

If you look down at the Related Threads, at the bottom of the page, you may note that there used to be a place called Dunkin' Dounts on 39th.

Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber? After Carey Lumber went away, Leonhardt Lumber was my lumberyard of choice. (Back then I was into Carpentry and Remodeling). I think we ate a fine lunch at Larry's Steakhouse one day while doing some work for a fellow who lived not far from that area named Don Treece. Perhaps right before or after picking up some supplies at Big L.

That picture of the Putt Putt course flashed me back to Saturday mornings of my childhood (in Boulder, CO) which were spent playing all morning for a couple of dollars. The one up there was identical to the one in the picture. (Maybe they were all identical).

Pete
02-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber?

Yes, the full name was Leonhardt's Big L Home Center.

Languss
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Not only did we have Larry's on 39th and Ann Arbor but at the same time we had Curly's at 38th and Mac and Moe's at 49th and Mac. All were inside of two square miles or less. None of that was planned. Moe's is the only survivor and Moe Howard was the last of the main Stooges to die.

RadicalModerate
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
That is, perhaps, the coolest bit of (the former) Route 66 trivia EVER! =-)

Pete
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
There was a Bonaparte's Pizza & Family Restaurant in Casady Square (Penn & Britton) in the late 60's / early 70's.

It was a sit-down place, not a drive-in.

metro
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
If you look down at the Related Threads, at the bottom of the page, you may note that there used to be a place called Dunkin' Dounts on 39th.

Wasn't "Big L" an alternative name for Leonhardt Lumber? After Carey Lumber went away, Leonhardt Lumber was my lumberyard of choice. (Back then I was into Carpentry and Remodeling). I think we ate a fine lunch at Larry's Steakhouse one day while doing some work for a fellow who lived not far from that area named Don Treece. Perhaps right before or after picking up some supplies at Big L.

That picture of the Putt Putt course flashed me back to Saturday mornings of my childhood (in Boulder, CO) which were spent playing all morning for a couple of dollars. The one up there was identical to the one in the picture. (Maybe they were all identical).
Dunkin Donuts is still there, they just remodeled it a few months ago, but still open. Yes the L stands for Leonhardt. They had 3 stores, this one was the main and original store, one on I-35 and I forget the exit, like SW 59th or so, and one in Edmond on Broadway Extention, it is a furniture store/ Switzers Storage by Earls BBQ now. Builders Square and eventually Home Depot and Lowes drove them out of biz over time.

Yes, the full name was Leonhardt's Big L Home Center.
Pete, don't think that's 100% correct, I'll have to ask my dad the official name. Big L was what most referred to it as.

Pete
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/leonhardts2.jpg

BB37
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I worked on the train that came up to the location of the map from the South. We would then get on the East-West track and go East as far as Portland, and go West to just past MacArthur. Lots of customers for rail service--Wiley Bennett (butter house) and GE to the East, and a lumber yard West of MacArthur, and a team track East of MacArthur. The main customer at the team track was Kiespert's grocery store that would get carloads of paper sacks.

That East rail spur used to run all the way to May Avenue. In the late 60s/early 70s I remember a trestle that ran across Grand Blvd between 36th and 39th. The trestle was demolished and the spur east of Grand was abandoned when I-240 (now I-44) was built.

ctchandler
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Metro,
Curious what you are questioning, the original name or whether Big L was called Leonhardt's Big L. I don't remember the Leonhardt's being retained but I could be wrong, but I am certain the Big L was originally Leonhardt's Lumber. We went there often before it became Big L. Now, I don't know if it was purchased from Leonhardt and renamed. I guess somebody will straighten me out.
C. T.

Pete, don't think that's 100% correct, I'll have to ask my dad the official name. Big L was what most referred to it as.

RadicalModerate
02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
I think maybe "Big L" was an early attempt to keep up with the dearly departed "Payless Cashways" or that other place . . . that other "Home Center" . . . that disappeared over there on 36th west of May Ave. Or was it Penn? I think it started with a "B" . . . Oh! "Builders Square"!!!

Frankly, I'm still wondering what a "Dount" is and if they are actually suitable for Dunkin'.
(See related link, below)
Is it maybe what is technically referred to as a "Berliner"?
As in "Ich bin eine . . ." =)

Bottom Line: Big L was a great place to buy. Not so much to "shop" but to buy. It sort of reminded me a little of Koelsche's Hardware out there on the edge of The Hinterlands near Midwest City and didn't disappoint in comparison with the Leonhardt Lumber location off of I-35 and 44th.

Martin
02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I-35 and I forget the exit, like SW 59th

since it is east of santa fe, that'd be "se" 59th. -M

RadicalModerate
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
That's a big 10-4 there, Good Buddy . . .
My GPS was a-gettin' all confused and whutnut . . .
Thought I's on the entirely other side o' The Grid.

ctchandler
02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Somehow I missed Pete's newspaper ad showing Leonhardt's Big L as the name. I don't know where my brain was (or is for that matter).
C. T.

Tritone
02-21-2012, 06:34 PM
If I recall correctly the east end of the track was at Dub Richardson's. When the circus would come to town they'd store the train on the north/south part of the tracks south of 16th street. Am I correct, Uncle Pete?

metro
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Metro,
Curious what you are questioning, the original name or whether Big L was called Leonhardt's Big L. I don't remember the Leonhardt's being retained but I could be wrong, but I am certain the Big L was originally Leonhardt's Lumber. We went there often before it became Big L. Now, I don't know if it was purchased from Leonhardt and renamed. I guess somebody will straighten me out.
C. T.

Again my dad was the VP for over 30 years. If anybody still alive would still know, it'd be him. I spent countless hours up there as a kid. I didn't call him tonight but will try to touch base tomorrow. To answer your question, I'm saying the Leonhardts was not really used. Most people called it Big L, some still called it Leonhardt Lumber. There was no change of ownership, it was always run by the Leonhardt family.

metro
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
since it is east of santa fe, that'd be "se" 59th. -M

Thanks, but good guess considering I was probably younger than 10 during most of it.

UnclePete
02-22-2012, 05:48 AM
That East rail spur used to run all the way to May Avenue. In the late 60s/early 70s I remember a trestle that ran across Grand Blvd between 36th and 39th. The trestle was demolished and the spur east of Grand was abandoned when I-240 (now I-44) was built.

We still had a track East of Portland up to where the trestle was. Used the track to store unused Wilson & Company refrigerator cars.

UnclePete
02-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Correct on the circus train for a few years. The end of the track was at Dub Richardsons (May) until the trestle was removed over Grand Blvd. The track originally went on to the power plant with a branch going on straight East to carry the interurban trains on downtown along Classen.

If I recall correctly the east end of the track was at Dub Richardson's. When the circus would come to town they'd store the train on the north/south part of the tracks south of 16th street. Am I correct, Uncle Pete?

Bill Robertson
02-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Does that aerial bring back memories. The crew from Casa Bonita used to go to Shakeys and Bonaparte's after work most Friday and Saturday nights. We'd eat and then get together behind Shakeys and drink whatever someone could up with since we were all underage. Later when I had bought my first house I went to Big L quite a bit.

Larry OKC
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I knew about Panchos (mainly because every so often folks will insist that it was Panchos where Casa Bonita was down the street at Portland, and folks are confusing them since they both had all-you-can eat setups with the "raise the flag" for refills)...but I didn't know about a Burger King and Shakeys over that way. Also the Taco Bueno near 50th & MacArthur was the first TB in the metro area. While TB left it years ago (when they weren't allowed to add a drive thru) the building remains. I went into Larry's Steakhouse only one time before they closed as I thought it was cool to have a place named after me ...LOL. Didn't they have the plate warmers built into the table tops?

Okcbld
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey Pete, The "?" in the map just west of Meridian was a small retail shop that sold 8 track tapes and car stereo gear.

Pete
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey Pete, The "?" in the map just west of Meridian was a small retail shop that sold 8 track tapes and car stereo gear.

Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can dig up.

Okcbld
02-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Wasn't KFC just to the West of Panchos?

Pete
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes, it was. I need to update my image.

But interestingly, KFC bought the old McDonald's property just west and built a new location while their old one is a pawn shop.

The old KFC on 39th was very small and had little to no inside seating if I recall. I remember it was one of the few places where my family would get carry-out, as my dad thought chicken was healthy. Of course, now we know fried chicken is one of the unhealthiest things you can consume!

Tritone
02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Plate warmers at Larry's? Absolutely. I miss the place and not just for the plate warmers.

Okcbld
02-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey Pete, The new KFC is where Panchos used to be.

BB37
02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Correct on the circus train for a few years. The end of the track was at Dub Richardsons (May) until the trestle was removed over Grand Blvd. The track originally went on to the power plant with a branch going on straight East to carry the interurban trains on downtown along Classen.

I thought the rail line to the power plant came in from the east -- the Graffitti Bridge over Western was part of that spur. I've checked satellite photos of the area, and the overheads show remnants of the old spur ROW from Ann Arbor up to the back of the current Lowe's, but no trace of a rail ROW east of May avenue. If that spur from Ann Arbor ever did go to the Belle Isle power plant, it must've been abandoned in the late 30s or early 40s, before the area was developed for residential.

Larry OKC
02-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes, it was. I need to update my image.

But interestingly, KFC bought the old McDonald's property just west and built a new location while their old one is a pawn shop.

The old KFC on 39th was very small and had little to no inside seating if I recall. I remember it was one of the few places where my family would get carry-out, as my dad thought chicken was healthy. Of course, now we know fried chicken is one of the unhealthiest things you can consume!

Hey Pete, The new KFC is where Panchos used to be.

The Panchos was definitely in that area as the one on southside has an old newspaper ad on their bulletin board and it gives the address as 4621 NW 39th (the all-you-can-eat was $1.49 in '73). Google shows that address as being KFC but cant recall what business was there prior to KFC built the new store (sometime past '85, possibly in the '90s). The old McDonald's building is still there and is part of some car dealership now, That McDonald's was essentially split and relocated into 2 of those McDonald's/Convenience gas station combos. One @ 39th & MacArthur and the other at 39th & Portland.

ON EDIT: Hilarious side note, ran across an article from the Oklahoman archives dated 1972 from an author called the "Underground Gourmet" describing the New Orleans Pancho's like this:

"...the food is of extraordinary quality. I have not tasted mexican food that is any better at any price in either Mexico or Texas...What distinguishes it from other chain restaurants is the manner of food preparation. Instead of shipping in frozen food to be heated on the premises, each restaurant has its own kitchen. ... Best of all, there is a bar featuring excellent margaritas (highly recommended) at 90 cents and good Carta Blanca beer. ... The New Orleans Pancho's is as good as the Texas ones. The major flaw in Texas was the lack of liquor and beer, a failure nicely remedied in New Orleans, where the bar is set up before the cafeteria line -- one can sip a drink while waiting in line."
LOL, now we know why he thought the food was so good, he was most likely drunk...

bluedogok
02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
My friend and I got a ride on that train once, my parents house backs up to the right-of-way south of 16th.

That storage track in that section was used quite a bit, most of the time it was boxcars or gravel cars. The storage tracks behind the church on 10th Street usually had enclosed hopper cars (I think that is what they are called) that had raw plastic pellets in them. We spent a lot of time growing up playing on the right-of-way in that section.

That shop was on the south side, next to what is O'Reilly's Auto Parts now. In the early 80's the gas station on the corner where the Shell station is now was Fill-Ups, not sure how far back that name went. It was an independent gas station, I used to buy leaded premium gas there. I cruised 39th a bunch in my high school years (PCW-82), so I bought plenty of gas there.

There was an AMC/Jeep dealer (later adding Renault) between Big L and Putt-Putt. I think it was something like Midwest AMC/Jeep. The office building to the west of Fred Gang's was actually the office building for the restaurant group that had the Sirloin Stockade franchise in OKC and developed Fred Gang's and some other concepts. I used to work with their company architect in later years.

UnclePete
02-26-2012, 11:06 AM
The track coming into the power plant from the East was from the Santa Fe mainline; the track from the South was the Rock Island that connected to their main near NW 3rd and Meridian. The track from East of May to the vicinity of the power plant was paved over by the Eastbound lanes of Northeast Expressway. When the Oklahoma Railway closed down in about 1947, the tracks were sold or given to the Rock Island RR and the Santa Fe Railway as a joint venture.

I thought the rail line to the power plant came in from the east -- the Graffitti Bridge over Western was part of that spur. I've checked satellite photos of the area, and the overheads show remnants of the old spur ROW from Ann Arbor up to the back of the current Lowe's, but no trace of a rail ROW east of May avenue. If that spur from Ann Arbor ever did go to the Belle Isle power plant, it must've been abandoned in the late 30s or early 40s, before the area was developed for residential.

Tritone
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
That makes sense to me. Can you fill me in about a line that ran along Grand Blvd around NW 23rd? As a lad I can halfway remember remnants. My dad said they ran north and south along Grand down to what became the new fairgrounds. Was it also CRI&P? I do know about the line that ran from the north side of the future fairgrounds past Acme brick, the "new" AMC, Purina, and into downtown. I am also trying to learn more about the location of the interurban lines from Guthrie to Norman and from OKC to El Reno. I know a little about the El Reno line but the north-south line is a mystery. Are we talking Shields, perhaps? Thanks.

The track coming into the power plant from the East was from the Santa Fe mainline; the track from the South was the Rock Island that connected to their main near NW 3rd and Meridian. The track from East of May to the vicinity of the power plant was paved over by the Eastbound lanes of Northeast Expressway. When the Oklahoma Railway closed down in about 1947, the tracks were sold or given to the Rock Island RR and the Santa Fe Railway as a joint venture.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 07:03 PM
I know we're a bit off-topic here, but wasn't the big rail yard at Shields, the Oklahoma City home of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (FRISCO)? Which reminds me, does anyone remember the old "Texas Special" that FRISCO and MKT (Katy) ran mutually? A luxury train trip from St. Louis through Oklahoma City down to DFW and over to San Antonio. Among rail fans, (UnclePete?) wasn't that a rather storied passenger line in its day? I know Frisco dropped passenger service to become all-freight and I still miss their logo, for some reason, it just meant "train" when I was a boy.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7356/stlouisandsanfranciscor.jpg

Jim Kyle
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Can you fill me in about a line that ran along Grand Blvd around NW 23rd?I don't remember how far north it went, but when I attended Linwood school in 1939-40 (in 3rd grade and first semester of 4th) there was a rail line running where Grand was. It connected through a switch to the end of the streetcar line on NW 19, and was used (mostly if not all at night) to route freight cars. I remember arriving at school one morning to find most of the students down at the tracks, gawking at the site where a highschool student had fallen beneath a car the night before and lost a leg...

UnclePete
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
The Katy and Frisco Texas Special ran from St. Louis to San Antonio as stated, but the train went through Eastern Oklahoma through Muskogee and McAlester. The Frisco furnished one set of equipment and the Katy furnished one set. The hand-off point from one railroad to another was at Vinita. A very similar train called the Meteor ran from St. Louis to Oklahoma City and on down to Lawton.

I know we're a bit off-topic here, but wasn't the big rail yard at Shields, the Oklahoma City home of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (FRISCO)? Which reminds me, does anyone remember the old "Texas Special" that FRISCO and MKT (Katy) ran mutually? A luxury train trip from St. Louis through Oklahoma City down to DFW and over to San Antonio. Among rail fans, (UnclePete?) wasn't that a rather storied passenger line in its day? I know Frisco dropped passenger service to become all-freight and I still miss their logo, for some reason, it just meant "train" when I was a boy.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7356/stlouisandsanfranciscor.jpg

OSUMom
02-26-2012, 10:21 PM
That Taco Bueno on the corner of 39th and Meridian used to be something else, Taco Villa I think, in the early 80's. Used to eat there for lunch alot.

Pete
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, was Taco Villa in 1976 -- I made a mistake there.

The first Taco Bueno was at 50th & MacArthur in the mid-70's.

ctchandler
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
OSUMom,
Taco Villa, a very good fast food (oxymoron) place. They actually put a reasonable amount of meat in their tacos. I thought there were two that went under because they couldn't stand the competition, Taco Villa and Taco Boy and in my opinion, they were the best in town.
C. T.

That Taco Bueno on the corner of 39th and Meridian used to be something else, Taco Villa I think, in the early 80's. Used to eat there for lunch alot.

ctchandler
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry, a little off subject. OSUMom just reminded me of a couple of things. There, I blamed it on her. Now I feel like I'm off the hook!
C. T.

OSUMom
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I have scapegoat written all over my face! :)

I loved Taco Villa. When I went to to High School, we went there for lunch a lot.

bluedogok
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, was Taco Villa in 1976 -- I made a mistake there.

The first Taco Bueno was at 50th & MacArthur in the mid-70's.
The location at NW 23rd & Meridian was opened soon after. I remember the old menu board, I think everything was either 29 or 35 cents.

Joe Kimball
02-28-2012, 08:53 AM
I can't get over how there were train tracks that far north in town! I was flying over this and another area some time back in Google Maps, and this confirms my suspicions of a possible abandoned easement.

OKCisOK4me
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Pete, check this link out:

Oklahoma Aerials (http://www.odl.state.ok.us/oar/resources/aerial.htm)

I've gone to the site and they have aerials of Oklahoma county from 1941 & 1951. I don't know if there is online access so I'm chatting with an OSU rep now to find out if there is. If not, I'd love to take a day up there and go check it out. Take pics. Those tracks would be there for sure ;-)

I ended up getting ahold of a gentleman in the Map Room at Edmon Low Library and he's going to do some research for me. If the images I'm requesting are available then he's going to scan and email them to me!

terryinokc
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
The restaurant that was on the corner of 39th and Ann Arbor was called Larry's Steak House....but for years during the 60's and mid 70's it was called Whit's Restaurant...or Whit's Steak House. I went to junior high at Central....across the street. We would go there for lunch quite often....but as I remember...it was quite a dive. Not sure if it had any relation to Whittakers Foods...just down the street.

OSUMom
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Those train tracks were between my house and my elementary school. My mom used to worry about that. I remember kids putting pennies on the track.

Tritone
02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
A Hilldale Tiger, huh?

MikeOKC
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
A Hilldale Tiger, huh?

That's where I was thinking she went too. Hilldale is a school that went from a great neighborhood school to a school that's unrecognizable as the "old" Hilldale. Sad.