View Full Version : How good are the Thunder?

ljbab728
02-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Here's the recent take by ESPN's John Hollinger after tonight's Denver game.

The result was an epic battle -- by regular-season standards, at least, and certainly by the standards of this regular season. The scoring totals of Durant and Westbrook were just the cherry on top -- this was a thrilling contest throughout, featuring huge runs (20-0 for the Thunder, 29-7 for Denver) and few miscues for a game played such at breathtaking speed. Putting it in perhaps the league's best game environment only made it better.

Add it all up and it was another notch in the belt of memories that the Durant-Westbrook-Ibaka-Harden quartet is building up in this city, and it's scary to ponder that they're barely getting started -- none is older than 23.

Nights like this leave you wondering what they might do to top it … and thinking that at some point, they probably will.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

Are they a perfect team? Hardly. But when they're good, they're very very good.

Dustin
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Durant and Westbrook tonight: 91 points
The whole Lakers team tonight: 90 points

betts
02-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Problem is, they can't do that every night. Role players need to step it up and we need Thabo healthy. You forgot to mention Ibaka's triple double, with the rare occurrence of blocks as one of the 10 or greater stats. The combo of one teammate scoring 50 or more, one scoring 40 and one with a triple double has never before occurred in NBA history. It was pretty exciting seeing history being made, although I didn't know it until I got home. Owners are going to have to dig deep to keep Ibaka if he keeps this up.

www.okcthunderfans.com

Snowman
02-20-2012, 04:14 AM
If Harden, Ivey and Cook were not having an off night shooting then the points would have been spread around much more, also if their shooting percentages were anything like their normal it would not have gone to over time but would have been at least a fifteen to twenty point blow out with just the number of shots they did take.

dankrutka
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM
If Harden, Ivey and Cook were not having an off night shooting then the points would have been spread around much more, also if their shooting percentages were anything like their normal it would not have gone to over time but would have been at least a fifteen to twenty point blow out with just the number of shots they did take.

Our bench (and a couple starters) has become a concern. Ivey should not be getting minutes. There's a reason he has played few serious NBA minutes in the last few years. If Cook doesn't turn it around soon then there is no way you can merit him getting minutes anymore. When he's not shooting well he is not good. Reggie Jackson is a rookie and has clearly been a huge step down from Maynor. Nazr looks old and Cole can't get minutes. Nick has not been himself lately. And Perkins has been a big disappointment this year. After he lost the weight I expected an increase in production, but his production has been down (despite a couple good defensive performances lately).

I know that we are tied for the best record in the league, but the playoffs are a different animal. Your weaknesses are amplified. If this team is going to win big then we need CONSISTENT play from players besides KD, Russ, Ibaka, and Harden. I think those four have shown nice improvement this season, and with better play from others, this team could legitimately compete for a title this year. IMHO.

Laramie
02-21-2012, 03:02 PM
It's going to be really difficult to gauge this team based on this compressed NBA season. I can say this, the Thunder appear to be competitive and can get up for the more competitive teams. They have appeared to be relaxed in two games (@Washington,@Sacramento) this season. They are very good at closing out games. Our recent loss at Houston was one of those games where if you continue to get in a dog fight night-after-night the odds are going to catch up with you.

betts
02-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Pretty good, barring injury. Of course we have had some injuries. Maynor is a significant loss. If Thabo doesn't get healthy, that will be too.

ljbab728
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
And no matter how good you are in the NBA you have to be up and ready for everyone or you'll get it handed to you. A case is point is San Antonio. They had their 11 game winning streak ended tonight by Portland in a 40 point loss.

TaoMaas
02-22-2012, 09:00 AM
And no matter how good you are in the NBA you have to be up and ready for everyone or you'll get it handed to you.

Several times this year, I've heard Thunder players talk about the need to play hard every night...as if they forget that sometimes. Nobody ever got to the NBA by being bad at basketball. Every team can play well.

G.Walker
02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
if we can pull out wins against Boston and L.A. tonight and tomorrow, we will go into the All-Star break with a 5 game winning streak, and prob best record.

betts
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
If we can remain relatively injury free and get Thabo back, it certainly looks as if we are setting ourselves up to face Miami in the finals. Many a slip twixt cup and lip, however.

BrettM2
02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Will tonight's game be broadcast anywhere online for free (legal sites)?

www.dailythunder.com puts up a link to a streaming site in his pre-game thread. Considering his site runs through ESPN, I think it's legit. I've used them before (not always great quality, but better than nothing).

It'll also be on ESPN3 if you have access to that (go to espn.go.com and go to the "Watch" option on the top right, near Fantasy, espnW, and Radio).

swilki
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Sid, I have friend who is a giant Thunder fan who is about to move to Seattle. If he and I end up near you in Seattle, we are all going to have to band together as Thunder fans.

swilki
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I am pretty sure that they don't meet in Seattle for fear of being lynched. But don't worry if I arrive up there I am wearing my Thunder shirt every chance I get.