View Full Version : Cox Cable Oklahoma City

Pages : [1] 2

richosh
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Anyone get Cox Cable bill for this month? Mine went up $13

SoonerDave
02-18-2012, 11:49 AM
There was a notice in last month's bill that if you were not on contract, there were some rather substantial price increases on the way. My contract doesn't run out until September, but when Sept does roll around, there's a decent chance I'll at least price TV from Dish or Direct TV.

venture
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I went back to DirecTV a year ago and haven't looked back. I'm out of the promo pricing for DTV now, but still its only around $120 for the vast majority of channels and the movie networks. The only downsize is outage during severe weather if the rain is heavy enough. However, their service and support is pretty good.

SoonerDave
02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I went back to DirecTV a year ago and haven't looked back. I'm out of the promo pricing for DTV now, but still its only around $120 for the vast majority of channels and the movie networks. The only downsize is outage during severe weather if the rain is heavy enough. However, their service and support is pretty good.

I have a sneaking suspicion that's what I'm going to find out when the time comes. Now, I have *no* complaints with Cox's Internet service, or their phone service, but when I add up the three services I suspect there may not be much of a difference once all is said and done. We'll see. I get frustrated every time I traverse the program guide on Cox and its umpteen hundred channels of nothing and fork over a chunk of $$ each month for the privilege.

Jon27
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Anyone get Cox Cable bill for this month? Mine went up $13

Our's went up $12! I couldn't believe it. I've been toying with switching to DirecTV, but they don't have WeHD, E! HD, or Style HD, therefore, the wife won't go for it. It's too bad that U-Verse can only have 2 HD streams at once because it's an option. No matter what though, Cox has about the best HD channel selection, and it seems like they know it.

Roadhawg
02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I use Cox for my internet but have Dish for my TV

SoonerDave
02-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Our's went up $12! I couldn't believe it. I've been toying with switching to DirecTV, but they don't have WeHD, E! HD, or Style HD, therefore, the wife won't go for it. It's too bad that U-Verse can only have 2 HD streams at once because it's an option. No matter what though, Cox has about the best HD channel selection, and it seems like they know it.

Yeah, the two-stream limit for U-Verse is an absolute deal-breaker for me. What we really need around OKC is a FIOS option, but last I checked it wasn't on the horizon. Anyone with later/better info? Would love to be wrong on this..

FFLady
02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that's what I'm going to find out when the time comes. Now, I have *no* complaints with Cox's Internet service, or their phone service, but when I add up the three services I suspect there may not be much of a difference once all is said and done. We'll see. I get frustrated every time I traverse the program guide on Cox and its umpteen hundred channels of nothing and fork over a chunk of $$ each month for the privilege.

I agree....we are at the point of cancelling some of this so called "bundle"....Our bill also went up. Anybody catch this story? ----> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396090,00.asp Thinking it has a lot to do with raising "fees"......

bombermwc
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Mine went up too and they SAID it was in our bills for months that they would be doing a rate increase. I told them if i saw one again, i'd cancel the whole thing.

cfeken
02-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Cox cable can't live with it, can't live with out it.

cfeken
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
mine went up too and they said it was in our bills for months that they would be doing a rate increase. I told them if i saw one again, i'd cancel the whole thing.

i did not see it

stick47
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Just like Cox.net "said" they announced they would be eliminating personal webpages. (NOT)
They did however announce that they were eliminating news groups. That was no loss since Eternal Septembers NGs are free. The webpage issue caused me a lot of trouble though. Mostly they reduced at least 1/3 of my service and were charging the same amount. Not cool Cox. You don't deserve our business at this rate.

kevinpate
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM

No U-Verse in your area? I said buhbye to Cox about 30 months back. Haven't regretted it a bit.

MartzMimic
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
The last time I priced Uverse, it wound up being about the same as Cox. Yes, the rates are high, but I can count the times our Internet and cable have been down on one hand - and at least a couple of those times storm related.

oneforone
02-21-2012, 02:16 AM
You can get a better rate plan if you just call them. The beauty of Cox is you can chuck the whole shooting match anytime you like. Just pay your bill, turn in the equipment your done. AT&T nabs you with a contract from the get go. My parents were on Dish for years and switched to AT&T for a bargain plan. They have hated Uverse with a passion since about 6 months into it. Now they are just waiting for the contract to expire. Which will mean they have to waste another day of waiting for an other installer to pillage and plunder their house to get whatever system they choose set up.

I have been with Cox for years and I have no complaints. Then again, I call every so often and tell them I'm considering switching to another service and I want to know what they can offer me. I usually get a cheaper rate a free movie channel for 6 months. I found the stores can sometimes offer you a better deal. It all comes down to what you you use. Cut any service you don't use and don't buy the highest speed internet package unless you actually need it.

OSUPeterson
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I would love to go back to U-verse. Its is a higher quality product. Also, once your promo period expires, you can call and ask to be put on another one.

They also do not charge extra for whole home DVR. At my last house, I was getting higher speeds of internet, a few more channels (tons more HD) for the same price as cox, if not a little less. They also do not charge you $35 bucks for an amplifier that you may or may not need. Their software is lightyears better than what Cox is running on their DVR's as well. They also provide a wireless router built into their modems which is nice, even though most people have routers these days.

I was also pumped to see their new wireless cable boxes, no more installing cable lines, which is a plus if you live in a historic area or in an older home.

I am suprised by the contract. Ive had ATT at my last 3 rent places and never had a contract or had to join one.

Too bad they do not seem in too large of a hurry to add more power to their substations, or add more substations, to reach more people. Literally the street 2 blocks down on 20th can get full Uverse, I can get nothing on 22nd.

Wishbone
02-21-2012, 02:13 PM
I switched from Cox to Dish Network 2 years ago and it's the best tv thing I ever did.

pure
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I really thought that more people here have cut the cord. Most of the shows that most people watch are on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, all free and in HD over the air. Spend about $10/month for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu and you're good to go. I did this and save about $65 a month. I know it's not for everyone, but other than the four channels above, I would only watch Travel, FX, and Food Network on a regular basis. Totally not worth $65 a month to watch those 3 channels a few hours a week.

SoonerDave
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I really thought that more people here have cut the cord. Most of the shows that most people watch are on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, all free and in HD over the air. Spend about $10/month for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu and you're good to go. I did this and save about $65 a month. I know it's not for everyone, but other than the four channels above, I would only watch Travel, FX, and Food Network on a regular basis. Totally not worth $65 a month to watch those 3 channels a few hours a week.

Yeah, I thought you could do the same thing with the streaming and such, but by the time you piece together even roughly equivalent services, you're really not much better off - at least we aren't.

We don't have much use for movie channels, but we like the ESPN family, TLC, Food Net, FX, TNT/TBS, and a few other minor ones on occasion. By the time you line them up, it becomes a shell game...

Easy180
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
The last time I priced Uverse, it wound up being about the same as Cox. Yes, the rates are high, but I can count the times our Internet and cable have been down on one hand - and at least a couple of those times storm related.

Same here...Willing to pay a little more for the reliability of Cox

Jon27
02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

This is the best post of the thread! I keep telling people that they know it! They have more HD channels than DirecTV and Dish, they have a one up on AT&T for reliability and the whole "streams", they don't go out when it sprinkles outside, and their internet is the quickest! I've accepted that it's a love hate relationship with Cox.

oneforone
02-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Same here...Willing to pay a little more for the reliability of Cox

Exactly... I have had a total of 2 outages in the 9 years I have been with them. One was storm related, One was somebody crashing into their boxes. The service was back on in a couple of hours. The best part is they don't make you wait forever for an install or upgrade. My upgrade to the total home DVR was done the day after I ordered it. To top it off the tech was 15 minutes early and had me up and running in less than an hour.

My parents lost their Uverse to a lightning strike and they were without service for almost a week. The tech was 2 hours late and did not finish until almost midnight.

SoonerDave
02-22-2012, 05:39 AM
The one time we've had to have a Cox tech out here in the last, oh, five-plus years, the guy worked his tall off to diagnose what turned out to be a really obscure problem. And he didn't leave until he was sure he had it fixed, even though it was miserably hot and our wiring box was in the attic. Far cry from the old, dreadful Mitchell Communications subcontractor days. The Cox guy told me they axed Michel after realizing they were screwing up nearly every job they worked for them.

Bill Robertson
02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
The one time we've had to have a Cox tech out here in the last, oh, five-plus years, the guy worked his tall off to diagnose what turned out to be a really obscure problem. And he didn't leave until he was sure he had it fixed, even though it was miserably hot and our wiring box was in the attic. Far cry from the old, dreadful Mitchell Communications subcontractor days. The Cox guy told me they axed Michel after realizing they were screwing up nearly every job they worked for them.That has a lot to do with the individual technician. My parents decided to go back to Cox after a couple of years of Dish. The technician was rude, slow and when "done" the remote didn't have all functions. He said it was because their TV was an older model. The TV is a brand new LG. A second tech came out and wasn't any better. They had Cox for two days and went back to Dish. All the systems have good techs and bad techs.

As to the OP. We have Direct TV and anyone not under contract went up the 1st of February. Ours went up $9 and change.

SoonerDave
02-22-2012, 07:13 AM
That has a lot to do with the individual technician.

Granted, but since we've lived in our current house (13 years), we've required support calls to the house three times. Once was when Mitchell was still the subcontractor, and what they did was a mess; the latter two were Cox-dispatched, and they were extremely efficient and fixed the problem properly on the first visit. My mom had a similar experience - when Cox was needed a few months ago to solve a signal strength issue, the Cox-dispatched tech spent the better part of an hour crawling through her attic and pulling out a maze of unnecessary/extra cabling, checked signal strength on each box in the house, verified signal strength to the cable modem, and didn't leave until everything was working. Never seemed impatient or in a hurry, either. Obviously, two or three data points doesn't confirm anything either way, but I do believe Cox is making an effort to improve the perception of their in-home service calls. For us, something wasn't working right, we called Cox, the tech showed up when promised, diligently researched the issue, and didn't leave until it was fixed. I'm not sure I can ask for much more than that from any service provider.

t3hwookiee
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Our Cox internet bill went up $4 I think. There was an insert a few months back, but I had forgotten about it. We canceled cable tv service two years ago, and haven't looked back! I like having a bill 1/3 of what it was, most of my shows are broadcast that I pick up and then record using my PC's tuner card and WMC as a DVR. ESPN I get from being an Xbox Live Gold subscriber. Works awesomely for us. :)

SoonerDave
02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Our Cox internet bill went up $4 I think. There was an insert a few months back, but I had forgotten about it. We canceled cable tv service two years ago, and haven't looked back! I like having a bill 1/3 of what it was, most of my shows are broadcast that I pick up and then record using my PC's tuner card and WMC as a DVR. ESPN I get from being an Xbox Live Gold subscriber. Works awesomely for us. :)

Do you get just the straight ESPN feed, or is it just selected programming?

t3hwookiee
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
It's not the straight feed, it is actually way more games than we had with the channel, with less filler crap shows. I get to watch *way* more soccer than before, more Michigan football (Go Blue!), and even judo and other sports you didn't often see on there. You can have it show you only the sports you want to, or everything. I was quite happy with the selection. :)

WilliamTell
02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
over 2 years ago we cancelled cox after getting tired of the arbitrary price hikes and no true justification of the price increase. went to dish and its been the better than i could ever imagine, we have been extremely pleased with the service.

UncleCyrus
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Just like Cox.net "said" they announced they would be eliminating personal webpages. (NOT)
They did however announce that they were eliminating news groups. That was no loss since Eternal Septembers NGs are free. The webpage issue caused me a lot of trouble though. Mostly they reduced at least 1/3 of my service and were charging the same amount. Not cool Cox. You don't deserve our business at this rate.

I did receive two emails about the personal webpages going away. I didn't like that either since I used that feature quite a bit. I very rarely visit the cox.net page so I didn't see if it was announced there or not.

bluedogok
02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
I have tried watching some things online, but not sold on that yet, it always seems like a hassle and poorer quality from what I have tried. I had the MotoGP HD subscription package and it wasn't too bad but I did have to go through teething issues the first few years. I have Directv mainly for sports, I have NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice though I will be dropping it after the season since I live in the home broadcast area of the Colorado Avalanche now. I have a HTPC setup for doing online watching but many times the quality is not as good as what I get from Directv.

This is the best post of the thread! I keep telling people that they know it! They have more HD channels than DirecTV and Dish, they have a one up on AT&T for reliability and the whole "streams", they don't go out when it sprinkles outside, and their internet is the quickest! I've accepted that it's a love hate relationship with Cox.
I switched to Directv when I lived in The Village, the Multimedia Cablevision service was all overhead lines and I moved in there about 4 months after the tornado went through that part of town. The cable would go out all the time, pretty much whenever the wind blew so I ditched them. I had no issues with their service in Edmond with underground lines, it seemed like they had no ionterest in fixing the lines in that area at that time. My parents have overhead lines and Cox seemed to work on the problem until it was fixed, I would imagine that since The Village is now a Cox service area the service is better than it was 13 years ago. I have been on Directv for almost 13 years now, had Sprint Broadband Direct (fixed wireless) for internet in OKC. We have Time Warner cable internet in Austin (it will get turned off in a couple of weeks) and have Comcast Xfinity for cable internet here in Aurora. I have been happy with the cable internet, most people that I know who have had AT&T or CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) DSL just seemed to have had constant issues, the U-Verse people seemed to have had better results but many had issues right after it was installed but things seemed to get sorted out after awhile and most seem happy with it now.

Debzkidz
02-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Our Cox bill has not gone up, but I guess its because we accepted one of their offers for a year of free HBO a few months ago, so we are locked into another contract with them. We've always been to cheap to pay for it. Hubby decided we should try it and see if we liked it. So far, we've had it about 3 months, and we've watched it a few times, but really I know now, it's not worth paying for. We will drop it once the year is up.

I've tried several times to switch to U-verse, but they always tell me it's not available at my house. I find this really weird because when they first came to the OKC area with it, our neighborhood was one of the first in Edmond to get it. They put hangers on our door telling us that it would be available at our home in just a matter of a few weeks. I saw them working like crazy on it all over our neighborhood, and just down the street from us. I know neighbors that have it. A couple of months after all the activity I stopped by the AT&T store. They told me it was not to my house yet but would be soon. They would contact me. Never heard anything, so I checked back a few more times and was told the same thing. Finally gave up. So when I had to go get a new phone in November I inquired about it. They told me that it was still not available at my house. Guess I live on some anti-uverse island or something.

SoonerDave
02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Keep in mind that the clerks who tell you "go or no go" regarding any of those services is working from some sort of mapping system that tells them whether a given address is wired. Those databases are frequently wrong. Here's a bit of a personal testimony in that regard, ironically from Cox:

In 1999, we were building a new house, and from the areas where we wanted to build, I called Cox and specifically asked where they were present and where they weren't. Cox availability was important to me because they were getting ready to roll out what was then known as the AtHome cablemodem Internet service. The addition we finally selected was on their "new buildout" area, and sure enough, we picked a lot there, and during construction we saw Cox trucks crawling all over the area laying cable. Great, all was working as planned, right?

Well, not quite. After we moved in, I called Cox to sign up for cable TV and AtHome service, and guess what the flunky on the phone told me, "No, sorry, Cox isn't available in that area." After a discussion, I realized the clerk was clueless, so I hung up, called again, got someone different. This time, the answer was "No, sorry, your area has to be UPGRADED before you can get AtHome cable service." Frustrated, I explained to her this was a brand new addition, that a conversation with Cox's own engineering department said ALL new rollouts ready for AtHome service, and she insisted, "No, you're in an older area." I could not get the person to understand she was wrong, and whatever the computer was telling her was wrong. I told her Cox trucks were laying new cable in the area ALL WEEK, and she finally relented enough to say "Let me talk to someone."

After a few minutes on hold, the lady returned, and said "well, even though the computer doesn't show that you're in an eligible area, I've been authorized to approve you for AtHome cable service." She couldn't even admit she (or her computer) was wrong.

End of story: Cox came out a few days later, the AtHome cablemodem service was set up and worked flawlessly from day one. AtHome was a hot commodity back in the day, but the wrong folks took the helm of the company and insisted they become a *content* provider rather than a *broadband data* provider, and went bankrupt. Sure wish I'd sold my stock in them a lot earlier than I did, although I only owned about 15 shares :(

Point is, if you have reason to believe UVerse is available, ask to talk to an engineer or something beyond the sales flunky on the other end of the phone. You might be surprised.

BBatesokc
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
The thing that currently frustrates me the most with COX right now is their DVR. Some time ago they upgraded their software/Operating System/Whatever utilized by their DVR and I absolutely hate it. Before it was fool proof. The current version doesn't warn you if you've scheduled too many shows to record at the same time and it just dumps one without telling you, etc. I also hate that technology hasn't progressed to the point that the DVR knows if a show is running late or starting early.

SoonerDave
03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
The thing that currently frustrates me the most with COX right now is their DVR. Some time ago they upgraded their software/Operating System/Whatever utilized by their DVR and I absolutely hate it. Before it was fool proof. The current version doesn't warn you if you've scheduled too many shows to record at the same time and it just dumps one without telling you, etc. I also hate that technology hasn't progressed to the point that the DVR knows if a show is running late or starting early.

Biggest problem there is that the scheduling system that populates the guide isn't tied to the system(s) that rack the shows, and they're rarely synced up very well. You can adjust the start/stop times of individual recordings by several minutes if you know the guide's schedule is typically wrong. For a program I really want to make sure I snag, I will add one or two minutes either side to account for the difference.

I was really interested in Cox's Whole Home DVR service, as it has an integrated/universal movie search guide, but they want $90 to install it plus the additional monthly charge for the service. I told them I'd install it myself, and they kindly advised me there was no self-install option. No thanks.

bluedogok
03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
When we had our Directv hooked up in Denver we had to swap one of our HD-DVR's because it wouldn't update to the new location, it seems to be much faster than our other boxes and the guide seems to update on changes quicker. The Nascar race moved to Monday night was updated even though it was supposed to start around 10:00 AM (Mountain time) and moved during that day to prime time because of the weather. THings like that never updated in the past, so maybe they are getting better at that.

WilliamTell
03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
The cox internet monster struck us this billing period.....

I posted earlier how we got rid of them for TV but we still have internet through them. Our bill went up 30 percent FOR THE SAME SPEED INTERNET.

I'm going to do some shopping around, i think i reached my limit with them on their price hikes.

WilliamTell
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Anyone know of any internet services providers in the MWC/Choctaw area?

Wishbone
03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I have dish and love it but still have Cox for phone and internet. I wouldn't mind shopping around for cheaper internet as it is expensive.

Bunty
03-06-2012, 10:35 AM

How you get TV 10 years from now is bound to be different, thanks to advances in technology and cable TV pricing itself out of business.

SoonerDave
03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
How you get TV 10 years from now is bound to be different, thanks to advances in technology and cable TV pricing itself out of business.

I'd sure like to see some apples-to-apples TV comparisons to see if that price difference bears out in reality. The satellite and cable providers do such an annoyingly thoroughly job of disguising their "real" monthly costs with teaser promotions, leader rates, and one-time-only discounts, its nearly impossible to get a truly clear comparison. I'm sure that's exactly the way they want it.

I personally think that so long as the general delivery format remains the same for satellite and cable - that is, mass packaging of as much content as they can find, ostensibly to offset the costs of providing the higher-cost channels, the difference and the future for those two isn't as different as some would claim. The real "next-revolution" in content delivery is the one thing cable and sat providers fear and loathe the most - true ala carte programming. The streaming services sorta kinda do this, but anyone thinking streaming is a one-for-one replacement for conventional delivery will be a bit disappointed. It good, but it still has problems.

Whomever figures out that business model first, and who knows, maybe that's what Google is trying to do, will be the next-generation media king. I can't help but think companies like NetFlix are trying to poise themselves for just such a world by surviving as a movie provider, getting the infrastructure in place, but if they *ever* figure out a way to license up the live stream (not just selected content) of things like ESPN, A&E, TLC, etc etc, that will shake things up. Can you imagine how cool it would be to, for example, ring up NetFlix and tell them you'd like to sign up for, say, ESPN, Food Network, and TLC, and that's all? Ala carte programming is the death of companies like Cox and Dish, and the other cable and sat providers will fight that notion to death for precisely that reason, too.

RadicalModerate
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
So . . .
We have been with Cox Communications for well over 10 years.
Maybe even close to 13 years.

We bought-in when we were living in an apartment on the far north fringe of OKC primarily because the dial-up internet service provided by The Phone Company was atrocious. Unapologetically Atrocious: I called and told The Phone Company that I had been getting better internet service from some little independent phone company way out in the sticks around Choctaw. Their response was that we lived too far away from The Phone Company hub to expect anything better and they had no plans to improve the lines or whatever.

When Cox came around to the apartment complex with phone and internet service we signed up immediately and were very happy with the purchase. It was a really good deal. We liked them so much that when we were planning to move into a house in a different part of town we got on the waiting list for digital phone service. When it became possible to "Bundle" we bundled.

Over the years, I noticed that there was always some sort of Promo or Special Deal going on to attract new subscribers. Extra Good Special Deals. Yet there was never a thing for people who had been with the company for years. I had heard about some sort of "Customer Retention" program that you could get into if you called and complained, but I never did . . . until about three or four months ago. The next billing cycle my bill went down from about $150 a month for basic cable, phone and internet to about $120 a month.

Today, I just paid the current bill: $135-plus.
(and not even a discount coupon for some Vaseline . . .).

rcjunkie
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
So . . .
We have been with Cox Communications for well over 10 years.
Maybe even close to 13 years.

We bought-in when we were living in an apartment on the far north fringe of OKC primarily because the dial-up internet service provided by The Phone Company was atrocious. Unapologetically Atrocious: I called and told The Phone Company that I had been getting better internet service from some little independent phone company way out in the sticks around Choctaw. Their response was that we lived too far away from The Phone Company hub to expect anything better and they had no plans to improve the lines or whatever.

When Cox came around to the apartment complex with phone and internet service we signed up immediately and were very happy with the purchase. It was a really good deal. We liked them so much that when we were planning to move into a house in a different part of town we got on the waiting list for digital phone service. When it became possible to "Bundle" we bundled.

Over the years, I noticed that there was always some sort of Promo or Special Deal going on to attract new subscribers. Extra Good Special Deals. Yet there was never a thing for people who had been with the company for years. I had heard about some sort of "Customer Retention" program that you could get into if you called and complained, but I never did . . . until about three or four months ago. The next billing cycle my bill went down from about $150 a month for basic cable, phone and internet to about $120 a month.

Today, I just paid the current bill: $135-plus.
(and not even a discount coupon for some Vaseline . . .).

This is the major reason why I decided to forgo cable or dish when I moved to Tenkiller a couple of years back. I must add that I don't miss it one bit and lead a more active lifestyle because of it. (spend most of time outside)

ShiroiHikari
03-13-2012, 03:52 AM
We use Cox for cable internet and that's it. We don't subscribe to cable at all (waste of money!) and we don't have a landline.

I've noticed our bill goes up every once in a while, but frankly, I'm sticking with Cox because they have yet to let me down, and I hate AT&T. :P

My friend has U-Verse, and I go over there to watch a couple of shows every week. Maybe she just has a bad one or needs to have a tech look at it, but her DVR is a piece of crap. It skips like crazy and goes out of sync all the time.

stick47
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Cox just raised their rate for internet only to $52/mo. I requested they downgrade my connection to the 3mb speed for $40/mo. Still outrageous when you consider it.

RadicalModerate
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree.
However, there are other options since Cox is not (yet) a monopoly.
It could be worse: There could be a Department of Internet Service based near Washington, D.C.

venture
05-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I have some friends back north and they live in a town where the local cable company covers most of the metro area that they live in. They have a pretty decent stranglehold on the market since AT&T has always struggled there. They recently redid all their rates and started charging something like $10 per 1GB of data transfer over 3GB to combat people using Netflix or other online streaming. I'm just hoping Cox doesn't follow the same path otherwise I'm screwed. LOL

oneforone
05-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Cox just raised their rate for internet only to $52/mo. I requested they downgrade my connection to the 3mb speed for $40/mo. Still outrageous when you consider it.

The service is optional. Gotta love America whine about convenience services while others in the world would be honored just have that problem to complain about.

bchris02
05-20-2012, 01:47 PM

That doesn't sound too bad actually. Comcast charges $60+ for Internet only and Time Warner, who I have now in Charlotte, charges $50 for a crappy 7mbps/384kbps plan. $40 for 3Mbps is pretty much on par with most DSL providers if you don't subscribe to their home phone service. Phone companies like AT&T are also regulated by the federal government to they stick you with $10-15 in government fees on your bill, BEFORE taxes, so that $40 for 3mbps quickly becomes much higher.

bluedogok
05-20-2012, 07:33 PM
My Comcast internet here in Aurora is 50 a month and that is a middle internet-only package. I have Directv and NetTalk VOIP for phone. We just changed to a Verizon family plan after our move and the end of my wife's AT&T contract, there is about $28.00 of taxes and fees on our bill every month and my bill alone dropped about $8.00 when I switched from Austin to Aurora as my primary residence.

BradR
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Just be glad you're not stuck with Suddenlink. Talk about slow internet speeds

Bunty
05-22-2012, 11:50 AM

ATT DSL can be even slower.

stick47
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
ATT DSL can be even slower.

I'm waiting on the class action suit against them to be settled. Could mean a few hundred bucks to me.

Bunty
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm waiting on the class action suit against them to be settled. Could mean a few hundred bucks to me.

Same here. I believe I was too far away from ATT's facilities to get up to speed to what they said I was supposed to be getting for the level I was paying. So I switched to cable.

SuddenlinkAshley
05-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Hi - my name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. Are you still experiencing issues with your Suddenlink internet service? If so, I'd be happy to help. Please feel free to contact me directly: ashley-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!

RadicalModerate
05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I will pay two (2) 165 ($) bills in order to have my 12 (or is it 6?) month billing restored to a "regular rate" of about $120 a month. For the bundle. That I selected. As a long-term inmate (oops, buyer). But we did get a new DVR and a deliver with a dude to install it and walk be through the mazes of the new improved remote.

Not a bad deal.
I guess.

It pays to be loyal: To The Free Semi Monopoly.
Well . . . Doesn't it? =)

My sense of goodwill and integrity prevents me from
checking the spelling/etc. above.

OKCTalker
05-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm hitting the roof after looking at the bill for Cox. We're paying $8.50 per month per HD converter ($102/year), and wondering if they could be purchased elsewhere. The Cox rep said no, and told me that they replace them for free whenever their service requires it. Neither of us could ever recall that happening.

So - where do I buy a Cox-compatible HD converter, and at what price?

stick47
05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Digital Stream Digital-to-Analog Converter with Pass-through : Converters | RadioShack.com (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3150939)

SoonerDave
05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
You'll probably need to find one that accepts Cable Card to decrypt the scrambled digital channels. You get to rent a Cable Card from Cox.

WilliamTell
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I cant believe i missed this thread. I HATE COX, so many rate increases its not even funny. To make a long story short we finally cancelled tv with them about 2 years ago and went to Dish because of the price hikes and ive been threatening to cancel internet next. Within two years my price has almost doubled for the same exact speed as i was getting before. I've called and have raised heck and they have temporarily dropped it down but their pricing model is ridiculous.

5 bucks a month here, 6 bucks a month bump after that, 3 bucks a month a few after that. I hate cox. Complete and total monopoly.

Im so close to paying att to tether my phones and just use my phone as a hot spot. It might be 5 bucks a month more but im almost willing too.