View Full Version : Huge blow to Deep Deuce

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Well, I hate to say this, but The Hill was chosen over McDermid's Walnut Hill development. I'm sorry to say this, but this is the worst possible choice Urban Renewal could've ever made. This will create a mostly suburban style gated housing addition downtown. I can't believe this. As far as I'm concerned, FIRE OCURA! OCURA is a bunch of liars. They let the apartment developer go because they said they wanted a MIX of owned and rented property in the development! Whatever! They chose a developer whose building all owned homes. They're a bunch of liars. Let me say that again...OCURA, you're a bunch of ruthless liars.

I hate to side with those like Tal, but I think McDermid and company needs to sue. There has to be some bias gonig on somewhere. McDermid's project was clearly the most ambitious.

------------------
Urban Renewal picks winner to raise The Hill
by Brandice J. O'Brien
The Journal Record
4/22/2005

Anthony McDermid dropped his head shortly after the decision was made Thursday morning.
The principal of TAParchitecture and member of Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners was poignantly moved, as members of his team sat stone-faced.

After a long, valiant battle, Walnut Hill succumbed to defeat as three of five Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority voting commissioners selected The Hill at Bricktown to redevelop an area known as The Hill.

Roughly 11 acres between Bricktown and the University of Oklahoma's Health Sciences Center were the focus of the redevelopment. Interstate 235, Stiles Avenue, NE Second Street and a railroad right of way border the property.

Three teams presented proposals.

Walnut Hill offered a project called Ellison on the Park, a community of retail and residential living with condominiums and townhouses. Ellison was remarkably similar to the plan for an area known as The Triangle, about 30 acres near The Hill. Its borders are Interstate 235, Bricktown, Broadway Avenue and 10th Street.

"The vision for The Triangle is to create a city within a city where the neighborhood has been thoughtfully planned; from having a pharmacy and grocery store within walking distance of the homes to designing retail spaces that complement the look and feel of the neighborhood," McDermid said recently.

Competing partnership The Hill at Bricktown proposed 171 townhouses with two-car garages in an upscale community. Ranging from 1,200 to 2,900 square feet, the two- and three-bedroom homes will feature large and elegant living areas, gourmet kitchens and pantries, and extra-large bedrooms.

Representatives from Wood Partners planned Alta Bricktown, an upscale apartment complex with rents averaging $875 a month.

Walnut Hill and The Hill at Bricktown estimated fair market value of the city-owned land at $1.4 million to $2 million, but that was prior to allowing for a public financing component.

In a last-minute letter dated April 21 from The Hill at Bricktown partner William Canfield to Urban Renewal Executive Director JoeVan Bullard, the team's financial intentions were clearly stated.

"We continue this process acknowledging that the total amount of development financing assistance available for the project is approximately $1.4 million - fair value of the land," Canfield wrote. "We will not request tax increment financing or other development financing assistance."

Originally, The Hill at Bricktown indicated they would need public money from a tax increment financing district and from Urban Renewal.

Walnut Hill tried to capitalize on that point when the teams presented their proposals. They said their group would not seek public funds, nor would they seek public financial support beyond the purchase of the property.

"It's a complicated process to this point," said Urban Renewal Authority attorney Dan Batchelor.

But he isn't worried.

The Urban Renewal Authority will set a price based on a market assessment, Batchelor said.

Further drama slowed the decision-making process. As the 10 a.m. meeting began, Commissioner Jim Tolbert had not yet arrived and the committee was eager to select a winner. The committee skipped the item on the agenda and proceeded with other matters. By 10:24, Commissioner Fred Hall became antsy, concerned about his other commitments.

Discussion regarding the two remaining teams ensued, with each team claiming they would be the better selection. A minute later, Chairman Stanton Young announced Commissioner Tolbert's presence in Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, where the meeting was held. As he headed to the fourth-floor room, several Urban Renewal members stated their opinions. By 10:26, Tolbert was in his seat. Less than 15 minutes later, a decision had been made.

As the decision was announced, straight faces engulfed the room. Little emotion broke through. Members of The Hill at Bricktown sat still. Within moments, Walnut Hill members cleared the room.

"We were not notified by OCURA that they were willing to consider economic changes to the proposal at the 11th hour," said Shaun Frankfurt, managing director of Trammell Crow Co. and a member of Walnut Hill. "If changes during the 11th hour are going to be considered, both competing teams should be given notice and equal opportunity to revise their offer.

"Trammell Crow and High Street Residential are extremely disappointed by the decision of the Urban Renewal Authority," Frankfurt said.

Bullard said last-minute changes should not be allowed to happen again. He said that on this occasion, nothing in the rules specifically prohibited late changes, but both teams should be required to follow the same rules and the voting commissioners should have ample time to review material before a decision is made.

The Hill at Bricktown partners exchanged a few congratulations after the vote.

"We feel very honored that the (committee) expressed confidence in our team," Canfield said. "Walnut Hill had a good project and was worthy competition."

The Hill at Bricktown's project is expected to take two-and-a-half years to complete and the team intends to start construction as soon as possible. The next step for The Hill at Bricktown is to meet again with Urban Renewal and discuss the schematics. They will meet again before construction begins."

Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I think this statement could be huge in a lawsuit if McDermid wanted to file one, which I think he should:

"If changes during the 11th hour are going to be considered, both competing teams should be given notice and equal opportunity to revise their offer."

Personally, I'm tired of OCURA screwing people. It's about time they got sued and had to pay up.

Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:21 AM
I guess this statement is key: "He said that on this occasion, nothing in the rules specifically prohibited late changes, but both teams should be required to follow the same rules and the voting commissioners should have ample time to review material before a decision is made. "

Still, I think McDermid and company got screwed.

Personally, I don't feel this development will be good for the area. I'd love to see their financing fall through and we go back to the drawing board for the project.

I know, that sounds mean, but if we're going to do this, let's do it right. I mean, come on, McDermid even called for a possible residential tower in his plans.

Luke
04-22-2005, 04:33 AM
The other team is still doing "The Triangle", right?

metro
04-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Not to mention it had mixed uses including public space, and much much needed retail. OCURA has failed yet again, oh well I guess Fred Jones Hall can get his $300,000 dollar house like he wanted downtown afterall since he helped steer the committee this way. That is the weakest display of leadership I have ever seen, my 17 year old sister could of made a better decision. Another downfall is that they are allowing them to play on the word "Bricktown" instead of preserving the history of Deep Deuce. Luke, "The Triangle is an approximately 23 acre area including Deep Deuce and the Hill. More than likely, new proposal and probably one from McDermid will come into that area.

As we've posted in weeks past, don't hesitate to contact OCURA and let them know how much they have failed us again. The public is more educated on issues now than in the past and we wont allow it ! I will try to update this thread with there contact info.

mranderson
04-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Actually, what someone needs to do is build a development in Deep Deuce that the majority can afford. Most people can not afford the high price tags of the condos in that area.

By making more reasonable priced housing, that area will grow faster.

metro
04-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Thus McDermids proposal, it had different levels of price and included rentals, flats, lofts, and ownership, but of course that clearly must of been the wrong answer to an expensive gated community???

floater
04-22-2005, 09:17 AM
What was OCURA's contact information? I'd like to give a piece of my mind. Hope you guys do it too. Life isn't fair, but public processes should be as above-board as possible.

By the way, I liked the reporting on the Journal Record piece. I was dumbfounded when I read it, but probably not as the Walnut Hill people were, whose proposal was that much better for the neighborhood.

Pete
04-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I was surprised and disappointed as well.

At the very least, they need to explain why they chose this particular developer -- what criteria were used, etc.

The only consolation is that McDermid's team may now have more resources to devote to The Triangle development.

okcpulse
04-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I am very disappointed. Very disappointed. OCURA has just failed Oklahoma City, Deep Deuce and downtown. Walnut Hill should have been chosen.

Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:40 PM
metro, who do we contact at Urban Renewal? I have their phone number, but I'm not sure who to ask for. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind.

I don't think there's a clear reason OCURA can give for choosing The Hill over Walnut Hill Partners. I still find it interesting that the reason they gave for turning down the apartment development (Wood's Partners...I think?) was because they were looking for a mix of rental and ownership properties, along with retail!
Huh! Have I missed something? The Hill group has NO retail and NO rental as part of their plan.

Obviously, from the words of the JR writer, it was obvious that even he was shocked, as the rest of us are.

Personally, I think it's time to completely disband OCURA. They screw up more than they fix. The hill will become another suburban style development just like Lower Bricktown. A trend seems to be developing here among OCURA projects.

This is the worst decision I've seen from OCURA in many many years.

Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I just have to say this again...this is the worst decision I've seen OCURA make in my 24 years of living in OKC.

Decious
04-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I wonder if this last minute letter (manna from heaven) had something to do with the vote a couple of weeks ago being postponed? I think that this letters date of receipt and the actual execution of the vote coincided a little too perfectly. The financial factor alone was reason enough to select the McDermid project. They knew this and needed to be able to say that their capital was secure when this decision was announced. (I say announced because the DECISION was made weeks ago) All that was left to do was to contrast the weaknesses in The Hill proposal with the strengths in McDermids and then go about painting over the flaws. The fact that no emotion was shown by the Hill partners is also no surprise. I mean, how excited can you act when a little birdie told you long ago that this one was in the bag. The solemn nature of a countenance in shame never lies.

I would be less upset if they had simply voted during the first meeting. Delaying the vote and parading about as if more research was needed was offensive to my intelligence. This decision (made weeks ago) was obviously not based on fact or reason and it wasn't neccesay for them to try and spin the goings on to make it look like it was. This tryst had several meetings behind closed doors and they really must be cocky to think that no one will smell what's rotten. This announcement would have been made with or without the letter. The purpose for the content of the manna is negating contrary public opinion and for presentation in legal matters.

This is awful. The worst thing is that this calamity probably only took place because the little birdie told all of his friends that he'd get it done. Now he can proudly walk into his clubhouse and tell them all that he did it. And you know what, they don't give a D*** because they don't wanna live downtown anyway. They want to live in the burbs. Oops, I forgot, downtown IS about to be the burbs.

soonerguru
04-23-2005, 11:52 AM
I am absolutely SICKENED by this decision. My blood is boiling as we speak.

That being said, this is a good ole boy town and probably will remain that way for the rest of my lifetime.

Urban Renewal is an evil entity that is very controlled by the strings of the good ole boys and this decision is hardly surprising.

The SUBURBAN mentality that pervades the mindset of this city's leaders will keep it mired in its backassward ways. That's the way these people think. Find the right, reasoned, compellingly correct decision and hand it to them on a platter and their instinct is to move in the opposite direction.

These nitwits will find a way to screw up anything good this city accomplishes. Remember, as taxpayers, we voted to pay for these improvements. They are not serving our interests, they are serving the interests of the well-connected good ole boys who stand to profit from our tax monies.

Good luck communicating with Urban Renewal. I went to a meeting and questioned their leveling of a massive green space and introduced myself as a citizen. They treated me as if I was an alien. They are so divorced from the responsibility of their jobs it is disgusting.

Joe Van Bullard is a total twit and a tool of the ruling good ole boys. Fred Hall is a money-grubbing buffoon that poses as some super-sophisticate. Of course, the Oklahoman had absolutely shallow to nonexistent coverage of this abortion which lets me know all I need to know about who was behind this charade.

metro
04-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Indeed, Patrick, if you contact OCURA it will be their staff, the board members must be contacted at home, although the secretary will give you there numbers and every time I have called their private numbers, they do answer. There is also a Vice President person who does work in the office full time, the name escapes me. Lets all give them a piece of our mind. I'm confident Fred Hall stands to make a buck on this deal.

Karried
04-24-2005, 05:15 PM
This should bring all of us to tears: ahhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggg- frustration.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/roundtable/McDermid3_files/frame.htm

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Actually, what someone needs to do is build a development in Deep Deuce that the majority can afford. Most people can not afford the high price tags of the condos in that area.

By making more reasonable priced housing, that area will grow faster.

I am afraid I disagree. If people want to live in an urban environment, yet they don't have the dough, there are some lovely slums north of Downtown already. We want to make a swanky downtown, not a slummy one.

Goodness. Seems I go out of town for a funeral and al hell breaks loose back home. :elmer3:

BG918
04-24-2005, 11:40 PM
^ Don't you understand this is just going to be your typical "upscale" suburban development! They will make it look nice with brick and landscaping but it will be GATED!!! There may be some pedestrian interaction but most people will go to their "2 car garage" and drive everywhere like in *expletive* suburbia. This is downtown!

This is absolutely horrible for downtown and for OKC. I saw the proposal for Walnut Hill, it was on display at the OU architecture gallery. It was fantastic! It had a range of housing, street level retail/restaurants, places to connect to future LRT and transit, a truly URBAN development that would really complement Bricktown and Deep Deuce. Now we have a gated community instead?

OKC Urban Renewal SUCKS, so does committee that decides what is built in Bricktown. Ever since they re-did that area it has been one disaster after another. Bass Pro in an urban environment? A suburban-style movie theatre that has no interaction with the canal? An entertainment center with a sea of parking? Cheaply built single level chain restaurants? WHAT A WASTE!!! I can't even go to Bricktown anymore because I am so sickened by the sight of what it has become...

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:08 AM
That's it! I've had it with our city government. Either we get some new OCURA leaders in place, or I'm campaigning for anyone running against a city leader presently in office.

okcpulse
04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
I second that, Patrick. BTW, what is OCURA's contact information?

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
204 N Robinson Ave Ste 2400
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

(405) 235-3771

metro said to call the main number and simply ask for the contact info./private numbers for the commissioners. I'm going to give it a shot.

You can also try this:

Tolbert, James R II
2321 Belleview Ter
Oklahoma City, OK 73112-7740
(405) 842-0995

Hall, Fred Jones
Oklahoma City, OK 73102-5020
(918) 257-4893

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Personally, at this point, I hope McDermid's Town Center puts the Hill to shame! Let Private Investment take over as far as I'm concerned.

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Here's the article from the Oklahoman. Personally, I feel the JR article is more on target. The Oklahoman article paints too rosy of a picture of the selection.

I'd be curious to find out why Larry Nichols favored The Hill over Walnut Hill.

---------
"Authority selects redeveloper for Bricktown site

By Ja'Rena Smith
The Oklahoman

The race for "The Hill" concluded -- and began -- Thursday when the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority named a redeveloper for the coveted site, which will now be a negotiating battleground for downtown housing.

The Hill at Bricktown LLC took the title as redeveloper of the 12.6 acres at NE 1 and Stiles, but urban renewal commissioners stressed that Walnut Hill Redeveloper Partners still will have a chance to negotiate with the authority.

"This is just the beginning," said commissioner and Oklahoma City businessman Russell Perry, who voiced his support for Walnut Hill.

The final vote did not come without discussion. For a moment, the meeting began to mirror last month's gathering when commissioners could not decide on a redeveloper. Commissioner Larry Nichols said he wished the authority had enough land that would allow both teams to build.

"I think both of these proposals are exceedingly exceptional," said Nichols, who is also chairman of Devon Energy Corp.

Anthony McDermid, principal of TAParchitecture and a member of the Walnut Hill development team, said in a statement that the decision does not mean his group is finished pursuing downtown residential projects.

"While we would like to have been selected as redeveloper for The Hill, members of our team look forward to constructing other mixed-use communities in The Triangle," McDermid said.

The Triangle is 23 acres of land spanning from NE 4 to just north of NE 10 that's been targeted for development.

Nichols said his decision to vote for the Walnut Hill project shifted when The Hill group revoked its request for $4 million Tax Increment Financing. Tax Increment Financing districts take a portion of growing property or sales taxes from their areas after they are created and return them to districts to pay for public improvements that might spur future developments.

"I would have easily voted on the Walnut Hill project based on the finances, but with the financial field now leveled, I have a slight preference for The Hill project," Nichols said.

William Canfield, principal of The Hill, said he was excited to be moving forward with the project. Canfield's plans for the area include 171 two- and three-bedroom residential town houses. The for-sale residences will range from 1,250 to 2,900 square feet.

Negotiating will begin before construction -- meaning it's still anyone's race.

"I think both groups view that there is a real close second," the authority's Executive Director JoeVan Bullard said. "

downtownguy
04-25-2005, 08:14 AM
I didn't realize the Canfield development was a gated community. Are you sure of that?

Patrick
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I didn't realize the Canfield development was a gated community. Are you sure of that?

downtownguy, I gues you're right. Maybe it won't be a gated community. metro got us on that bandwagon after his post in the following thread: http://www.okctalk.com/t2157-okc-urban-renewal-authority-the-hill-the-triangle.html

metro, could you shed some light on where you got the idea this would be a gated community?

What I don't understand is that the things OCURA was looking for in this development were rental lofts, owned residential homes, and retail. The only group that met all 3 requirements was Walnut Hill Partners. The Hill at Bricktown only met 1 of the requirements (owned residential), as did the Wood Partners (rental apartments).

I'm still unsure why Canfield was chosen when his proposal didn't meet the 3 requirements? Could it be that the OCURA was trying to give the owner of Novazyme some sort of incentive for building his pharmaceutical plant here?

downtownguy, I'd really like to know your take in this issue? Why was McDermid turned down in favor of The Hill at Bricktown?

Patrick
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
By the way, for those that may have forgotten, here are the 3 original proposals:

1. The Hill at Bricktown
Number of units: 141.

Development team: Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, oilman and contractor Steve Clark; Humphreys and Planners Architects.

Financing: Development team equity.

Investment: $34.4 million.

Land purchase offer: $2,003,800.

Public financing: $4 million Tax Increment Financing.

Average rent or sale price: $275,000 (sale).

Retail: None.

--------------
2. Ellison Park at the Hill

Number of units: 272.

Development team: Bert Belanger, former vice president of ERC Properties and developer of the Breighton Apartments in Paseo; Anthony McDermid, principal of TAParchitecture; and William "Pat" Garrett, president of Gulf Exploration and director of Heartland Homes.

Financing: Trammell Crow.

Investment: $39 million.

Land purchase offer: $1,306,800.

Public financing: Reinvestment of land purchase funds back into project.

Average rent or sale price: $1.15 per square foot for lofts, $249,375 for town home sales.

Retail: Ground floor retail.
------------------

3. Alta Bricktown

Number of units: 300.

Development team: Wood Partners; Architectural Design Group.

Financing: Westplan Investors.

Investment: $22 million.

Land purchase offer: $1.5 million.

Public financing: None.

Average rent or sale price: 93 cents per square foot.

Retail: None.

downtownguy
04-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Visit my site

Patrick
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...interesting...I think I'll post it here and comment more. We're all geting onto Fred Jones Hall and Jim Tolbert and they actually voted in our favor! lol!

Patrick
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
From downtownguy at www.downtownguy.blogspot.com:

"Unhappy about the Hill

They’re angry over at www.okctalk.com. They are very angry. They are even suggesting that a Moshe Tal type legal offensive be launched over yet another Urban Renewal project.

What don’t they like?

They don’t like that the Urban Renewal commissioners chose a proposal for the hottest downtown patch of land - the Deep Deuce "hill" - that didn’t match up to the request for proposals. They don’t like what they perceive to be a lesser project chosen over one they think is much more creative. They don't like what appears to them to be a second chance given to William Canfield to elminate a request in his proposal to use $4 million in tax increment financing to match his competitor's proposal of not using any public assistance.

They don’t like how local newspapers covered the selection. They don’t like what they perceive to be an all powerful, unquestionable position taken by Urban Renewal commissioners.

Here’s the story that’s not being told:

Urban Renewal, by its very nature, is set up to be led by the city’s most powerful figures, men and women (though the board has yet to have a female commissioner) who are chosen to lead boldly, put what they think is best for the city’s redevelopment over popular vote or public pressure.

But they’re also men who have ties. Lots of them. Enough to fulfill any conspiracy theorist’s worst delusion. They’re also a group that always casts a unanimous vote in selecting a developer for a major project.

Untold story No. 1: The hill vote made history. The commissioners split on this vote. Stanton Young, with his long involvement with the Presbyterian Health Foundation, sided with William Canfield’s proposal. Canfield has been and continues to be a major player in the PHF research park. Do we really want to discourage Canfield from pursuing opportunities to invest his money downtown? I wouldn’t think so. And do we really want Young and the PHF to withdraw their efforts to create a bio-research center on the east fringe of downtown? Probably not. These ties are no secret among downtown players, certainly not to competing developers like architect Anthony McDermid.

But here’s where all this friendliness gets a bit tricky. Let’s examine a portion of the Journal Record article that got the chat board so enraged:

Further drama slowed the decision-making process. As the 10 a.m. meeting began, Commissioner Jim Tolbert had not yet arrived and the committee was eager to select a winner. The committee skipped the item on the agenda and proceeded with other matters. By 10:24, Commissioner Fred Hall became antsy, concerned about his other commitments.

Discussion regarding the two remaining teams ensued, with each team claiming they would be the better selection. A minute later, Chairman Stanton Young announced Commissioner Tolbert's presence in Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, where the meeting was held. As he headed to the fourth-floor room, several Urban Renewal members stated their opinions. By 10:26, Tolbert was in his seat. Less than 15 minutes later, a decision had been made.

The committee skipped the item on the agenda and proceeded with other matters. By 10:24, Commissioner Fred Hall became antsy, concerned about his other commitments.

As the decision was announced, straight faces engulfed the room. Little emotion broke through. Members of The Hill at Bricktown sat still. Within moments, Walnut Hill members cleared the room.

"We were not notified by OCURA that they were willing to consider economic changes to the proposal at the 11th hour," said Shaun Frankfurt, managing director of Trammell Crow Co. and a member of Walnut Hill. "If changes during the 11th hour are going to be considered, both competing teams should be given notice and equal opportunity to revise their offer.

"Trammell Crow and High Street Residential are extremely disappointed by the decision of the Urban Renewal Authority," Frankfurt said.

Bullard said last-minute changes should not be allowed to happen again. He said that on this occasion, nothing in the rules specifically prohibited late changes, but both teams should be required to follow the same rules and the voting commissioners should have ample time to review material before a decision is made.

Clearly, the Canfield team won with a last minute trick shot. But is that evidence of a corrupted process, or simply a sign that his team played the game just a bit better than McDermid?

Last minute efforts to change proposals aren’t new. It was tried, unsuccessfully, by a team wanting to redevelop the Skirvin Hotel. Oh, and let’s consider this: Moshe Tal tried the same thing when he tried to win south Bricktown by adding Baltimore developer David Cordish’s name to his proposal.

Now, let’s get back to Deep Deuce and the hill. Canfield must have known he had a problem when the proposals were unsealed. His proposal didn’t meet the minimum number of units set out by the request for proposals, and he was asking for $4 million in tax increment financing. No such assistance was being asked for by McDermid’s group. And McDermid’s proposal seemed to match the request for proposals.

But McDermid had an unpopular partner: Bert Belanger, who attracted enemies during his time working for low-income housing building ERC. And Belanger and McDermid’s big pitch for a Bricktown upscale housing tower called “The Factory” a couple years earlier was just that – a pitch. It gathered a lot of press, but nothing ever happened. So this pair, in some minds, had a credibility problem. And their new pitch for “the Triangle” town square a day before the proposals for the hill were sent in might have backfired.

So what did McDermid do? He added Trammell Crowe just before the presentations. Not exactly the 11th hour… but clearly, it was after junior’s bedtime.

Stanton Young, Russell Perry and Larry Nichols voted for the Canfield project. Fred Jones Hall and Jim Tolbert voted against it, and for McDermid. Find another time in the last 30 years when the urban renewal commissioners split on something like this.

I question whether filing a lawsuit is the best response in a matter like this. After all, the board is charged with using their judgment to decide these matters. As for them being unaccountable, that’s not quite true. Each and every member is appointed by the mayor and have to be re-appointed at the end of their tenure. The city council has to give a majority approval to those appointments. So if you’re upset over this decision and live in Oklahoma City, ask yourself, did you vote in the last council or mayoral election? The numbers indicate that a lot of you did not.

So here's untold story No. 2: if you’re upset, and you didn’t vote, guess who the ultimate bad guy is in this controversy? Go get that mirror out...

Patrick, Midtown, etc., I don’t know whether you voted or not in your most recent elections, and this isn’t meant to be a blanket criticism of you or your feelings. If you did vote, you have options. Call your ward representative, call the mayor, show up at the next council meeting, sign up to speak at the end of the meeting. You can also ask the mayor’s office for a schedule on when the commissioners’ terms are up, and then appear at that council meeting to protest their reappointment if you feel they have not acted in the city’s interests.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

Patrick
04-25-2005, 12:13 PM
To be real honest with you, I overreacted when I said McDermid needs to file a lawsuit. I just personally think he was rooked out of this deal, when obviously he had the most ambitious plan for the site, that met all of OCURA's 3 criteria, something none of the other plans did.

But I guess the more ambitious plans on paper aren't always necessarily the plans that will come to fruition. Just look at Moshe Tal's plans. Obviously, Moshe had the best plans on paper, but he never proved to have the financial backing to make it happen.
I suppose McDermid's failed "Factory" pitch and the addition of Bert Belanger were enough to sway the OCURA commissioners' opinions.

In the end, I'll be curious to see whether or not McDermid will be successful with his Town Center concept. The success of this development will determine just how successful his Hill proposal might have been.

I'm not completely against Canfield's development plan. As lnog as they're multilevel townhomes and not a suburban gated community, I guess I'll be fine with that. Still, I think we missed out on a unique opportunity to combine rental and owned residential units, and retail. Retail is so drastically needed in Depp Deuce and Bricktown.

Again though, the promises made in ambitious proposals, don't always come to fruition. Just look at the Deep Deuce Apartments. Supposedly, the developer was going to redevelope several of the older structures for retail use. So far, I've seen no retail stores in Deep Deuce.

On another topic, personally, I don't think Canfield's involvement in the Research Park should've played a factor in this. If you want to play that card, McDermid is just as active in the Triangle/Flat Iron District, which actually may possibly be one of the greatest additions we've had to the downtown are in years. I think awarding a development bid to a group just because of their business ties is corrupt. I'm sick of the good ole boy tactics that exist in this city.

Do we really want to discourage Canfield from pursuing opportunities to invest his money downtown? [/quote}
Do we really want to discourage McDermid from pursuing opporuntities to invest his money downtown?

[quote=downtownguy]And do we really want Young and the PHF to withdraw their efforts to create a bio-research center on the east fringe of downtown?
I think this quote by itself proves that good ole boy tactics were involved in the selection process. We're simply giving Canfield an incentive to further his development of the research park. Is that really ethical? What ever happened to the idea that the man with the best proposal win? I question the connection between Young and Canfield, and in fact wonder if Young should have recused himself from this decision-making process.

Stanton Young, Russell Perry and Larry Nichols voted for the Canfield project. Fred Jones Hall and Jim Tolbert voted against it, and for McDermid. Find another time in the last 30 years when the urban renewal commissioners split on something like this.
I suppose this is somewhat comforting in light of our present feelings on the selection of Canfield.

So here's untold story No. 2: if you’re upset, and you didn’t vote, guess who the ultimate bad guy is in this controversy? Go get that mirror out...

I've actually voted in every city election since I've been 18! I voted for Mayor Cornett last time around and don't regret my decision. I also voted for Sam Bowman for Ward 2. Do I regret my decision voting for Sam Bowman? Absolutely. You'll see me voting for Susan Johnston (our very own Proactive Volunteer) next time around.

If you did vote, you have options. Call your ward representative, call the mayor, show up at the next council meeting, sign up to speak at the end of the meeting. You can also ask the mayor’s office for a schedule on when the commissioners’ terms are up, and then appear at that council meeting to protest their reappointment if you feel they have not acted in the city’s interests.

I've actually already completed several of these options. A lot of good that will do. The decision has been made, and our city leaders seem happy with our current OCURA officials.

I will say one thing again! I am quite impressed Fred Jones Hall voted for McDermid! I'm actually quite shocked!

downtownguy
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
I didn't intend to defend or attack the selection. And Patrick, I suspected you to be someone who does vote. My post was meant to reveal a bit of the behind the scenes info that hasn't gotten out. There is nothing I've seen that indicates Canfield has any more ability than McDermid to pull these projects off.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-25-2005, 03:29 PM
To those who quoted me word for word:

I did not say I agree with this decision. If you think so, read my journal here.

Anyway, I would like to see an upscale downtown. But gated?

I have some vivid thoughts here. But I will let Patrick do enough talking for both of us.

metro
04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
metro, could you shed some light on where you got the idea this would be a gated community?

I thought I clarified in the first discussion about this but let me explain. In the original OCURA meeting that they were originally going to make the decision, Canfields group was poorly organized, asked for TIF funds, didnt sound or act confident on anything, used alot of could be's and maybes, didnt do any sound quality studies unlike the other two teams, stated they werent sure if it would end up being gated or not or have any public areas. Im surprised Fred Jones Hall voted against it, he definetely acted like he had his interests in this project and who knows, he still may? Anyhow, it was obviously still the worst decision of the three, the all rental proposal would have been much better than this, let alone McDermids. We all need to contact McDermid and let him know to keep fighting and definetely contact OCURA and let them know our outrage and disconfidence in them. Let them also know that they should preserve the heritage of the Deep Deuce area and not call it Bricktown, they are just trying to profit off the Bricktown name!

Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I still don't understand how such a disorganized group can be selected for such a project. Same thing happened when Hogan was chosen. In all actuality, Moshe Tal had the most comprehensive presentation. Hogan's proposal was also a lot of maybes, as we found out later.....maye there will be an Edwards Theater, maybe a Sega Gameworks, maybe a Dick Carks.

Anyways, I expect a similar outcome from this decision. Canfiueld will probably just throw something together. Our city seems to favor poor planning. Except of course in the Skirvin solution.

Pete
04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
As I stated earlier, why can't we at least get some sort of explanation as to what criteria was used by OCURA and how each proposal stacked up against it?

Seems like a reasonable request and one they shouldn't have any problem making public.

Until they do this, everything else is just conjecture on our part.

Patrick
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
It doesn't seem like OCURA is willing to release that information. metro and others, have you had any luck?

They set criteria at the beginning and McDermid's proposal seemed to fit that best.

Unfortunately, with any city project, there will always be good ole boy tactics at work, but at the same time, I'd say McDermid's failed Factory Development wasn't helping his case any.

Pete
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Is OCURA not subject to the rules about open meetings for such public entities?

Typically, they have to publish minutes and make other information available when the public requests.

metro
04-27-2005, 01:12 PM
aol keyword: flawed or shady

Popsy
04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
I am new to this forum and not as well informed as most of you. I am not familiar with McDermid. Has he had any successful projects in OKC? Was the Factory officially canceled or is it still a possibility?

metro
04-27-2005, 08:55 PM
as far as McDermid, to my knowledge he hasnt really done any residential or commercial investment projects. he is very well known however, a great man, and the principal at highly respected TAP architecture based here in downtown OKC

Patrick
04-28-2005, 12:17 AM
The Factory may still occur but on a smaller scale. One thing we're failing to tell people here is that McDermid's company was only providing architectural design for the project. Rich McLain actually owns that tract of buildings, thus McLain was the one financing the project and the one to blame.

metro
04-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Well Patrick, thats not entirely true, although McDermid was providing architectural services for the Ellison Park at Deep Deuce proposal, his company had an interest in an investment property company, Walnut Hill partners, so technically he does have financial interests. Despite this fact, bar none his proposal was the only one that met guidelines and by far the best

Patrick
04-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Well Patrick, thats not entirely true, although McDermid was providing architectural services for the Ellison Park at Deep Deuce proposal, his company had an interest in an investment property company, Walnut Hill partners, so technically he does have financial interests. Despite this fact, bar none his proposal was the only one that met guidelines and by far the best

Actually my reference to him only providing architectural services was to the Factory Development, which was owned by Rich McLain. That's okay though.

Obviously, he would've had an investment in Ellison Park at Deep Deuce through Walnut Hill Partners. Walnut Hill Partners wasn't part of the Factory though.

metro
04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
correct, just wanted to clarify for those not in the know

righteousbros
04-28-2005, 07:34 PM
You are all right to be indignant. Check out the comments by anon (obviously learned in the facts) in the comments to downtown guy's commentary.

Before you hammer Fred Hall too much, realize that he voted for McDermid and the Good guys..

The real culprit is the old guy, Stanton Young... he manipulated the process from day one to get his crony Doctor "I R Now a Developer" Bill Canfield, no doubt a very rich scientist who owes much of his wealth to Young and his use of our tax dollars to start the HS Center...

Larry Nichols is a stand up guy but really blew it on this one when he cow-towed to Chairman Young's arm twisting

The real loser is OKC in the eyes of national developers like High Street/Trammell Crow, who was recruited into the race by McDermid's team and got slapped in the face, as the good ole boys voted in a novice doc ....

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-28-2005, 07:37 PM
The Factory may still occur but on a smaller scale. One thing we're failing to tell people here is that McDermid's company was only providing architectural design for the project. Rich McLain actually owns that tract of buildings, thus McLain was the one financing the project and the one to blame.

That one is a damn shame. Too bad...

metro
04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Before you hammer Fred Hall too much, realize that he voted for McDermid and the Good guys..

Thanks for re-emphasizing the fact. Although I still think he is a shady character and helped persuade this issue, I'm glad he voted for the right development. In the original final choice meeting he flat out said he wasnt going to vote for them and made crude remarks thus I still think he had a part to play in it. We also corrected our previous accusations and made this clear that he did vote for the right decision. This was already pointed out

Patrick
04-29-2005, 01:53 AM
The real loser is OKC in the eyes of national developers like High Street/Trammell Crow, who was recruited into the race by McDermid's team and got slapped in the face, as the good ole boys voted in a novice doc ....

Let us not forget that Trammell Crow wasn't added until late in the process. Because of that, I actually questioned their complete committment to the project.

It's actually quite similar to the trick Moshe Tal pulled several years ago when he added David Cordish late in the game.

Pete
04-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Also, Trammel Crow operates as a series of localized partnerships.

My impression was that it was merely the local partner that was involved in the development, so I'm not sure how much TC and this individual were bringing to the table anyway.

Also, locally Trammel Crow deals almost exclusively in industrial type properties.

righteousbros
04-30-2005, 06:30 AM
While I think we are in agreement that OCURA made a bad decision, I know more than a little bit about the details and I can tell you this

1- Downtown guy started the notion that TC was added late - they were in the deal from the beginning - they were recruited by McDermid's bunch precisely because OCURA had required REAL EXPERIENCE in mixed use development as part of the RFP. This was nothing like Moshe's trick - check out the TC website and click High Street Residential - while it is true that the local TC office has been mostly an industrial player, High Street was started by TC when Art Lomenick came to TC in the late 90s after leaving Post REIT, where he was the main player in developing most of really cool urban stuff in Dallas, including the State Thomas area just off McKinney... the W Hill's main and only mistake was that they didn't make this point clear enough .. to the public..... the OCURA staff and Board was well aware....Stanton was simply relentless in his arm-twisting on behalf of his pal, Doctor Canfield.......................if this were to have happened in any of the MAPs projects, someone would be facing indictment for bid-rigging.............

The only good news is this...... it ain't over til the fat lady sings..........TC/High Street has reportedly filed with OCURA an official complaint and request to reopen the hearing...

Lastly, the record reflects that Hall asked early tough questions about both proposals but ended up supporting the Walnut Hill Redev team's project. So did Tolbert. So did the PAID CONSULTANT HIRED BY OCURA, whose written recommendation categorically showed WHR had BY FAR THE STRONGER TEAM (BECAUSE OF LOMENICK) to assure the thing ACTUALLY GOT DONE and DONE RIGHT...............the Doctor's team is comprised of a smart and VERY rich scientist and a bunch of amateurs who between them have MAYBE BUILT A FEW TOWNHOMES..................hopefully, the MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL, elected and thus truly accountable, will see that their appointees on OCURA (at least 3 of them) have ignored the facts and their own RFP criteria and GIVEN THIS DEAL TO A CRONY IN THE WORST SENSE OF THE WORD....

downtownguy
05-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't know anymore when Trammell Crow was added to the McDermid proposal. The newspapers don't list them in the early stories. There isn't a very good record of what happened on all this. All of this does seem very unusual.

Patrick
05-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Really, whether or not TC was added on at the beginning or later, it doesn't make a difference. The decision has been made in favor of Canfield, and that's it.

righteousbros, first off, welcome to the site. We're so glad to have you here. Thank you so much for the inside information you've provided us here. We treasure it.

Personally, I think you're right. I don't think Walnut Hill Partners could've done anything different to win the right to develop the land. Good ole boy tactics were at work again, and Stanton Young got strings pulled for his doctor friend. Simple as that.

I'm glad to hear that TC/High Street has filed a complaint to reopen the hearing. One can only hope this will get a second look and the decision be overturned. Obviously, McDermid's plan was way more ambitious than Canfield's for the property. Plus, he had more experience to back him up.

I think the fact that the "PAID CONSULTANT HIRED BY OCURA" favored Walnut Hill Partners, and OCURA went the other way tells you the selection wasn't completely fair or honest.

The mayor reads this forum, so hopefully he will read your comment here, and it will be able to run some heads at city hall.

metro
05-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree, the rumor was started that TC was added late, they had been on board for awhile. Even if they hadn't it doesnt matter, they were still there before the deadline and that is all that matters. Walnut Hill did everything they were asked, The Hill at Bricktown did not and still won, go figure, oh wait, we are still Oklahoma despite our progress. Anyhow, I think we should all call Stanton and email him until an official reply is made, similar to what we did with the airport trust. That goes to show that they do have to face the issues, even if it is a small step.

soonerguru
05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I would like to rescind my earlier commentary vis a vis Fred Hall. I was wrong. He voted for the Walnut Hill proposal and from an associate of mine who is working with him directly, he is an intelligent and progressive-thinking guy who has some big plans for OKC. Unfortunately, I cannot talk about them right now, but when I can I will. Definitely exciting stuff.

Pete
05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
On OKCBusiness's website, there is a picture of a recent front page that features an article titled "The Battle for The Hill".

The text is not on the site... Has anyone seen this article? Sounds like they did a story on the appeal by McDermid & Co.

Patrick
05-05-2005, 12:49 AM
On OKCBusiness's website, there is a picture of a recent front page that features an article titled "The Battle for The Hill".

The text is not on the site... Has anyone seen this article? Sounds like they did a story on the appeal by McDermid & Co.

The article is actually older than you think. Several weeks. The story detailed the 3 proposals vying for the Hill. McDermid happened to get his proposal pictured on the front page.

righteousbros
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Patrick

Actually that is a new article in this week's OKC Bus and it is pretty decent

Bullard is quoted trying in a galling way to sweep it under the rug

The emails to Stanton might help only if you cc the Mayor and the other commissioners... Stanton's sole purpose in life is to further Presby H Foundation and his own pocketbook ... he cares little about anything else and nothing about fairness....

TCHigh is pissed and dissed and not going away.... keep an eye on the OCURA agendas in the coming weeks.... it ain't over yet....

Patrick
05-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Patrick

Actually that is a new article in this week's OKC Bus and it is pretty decent

Bullard is quoted trying in a galling way to sweep it under the rug

The emails to Stanton might help only if you cc the Mayor and the other commissioners... Stanton's sole purpose in life is to further Presby H Foundation and his own pocketbook ... he cares little about anything else and nothing about fairness....

TCHigh is pissed and dissed and not going away.... keep an eye on the OCURA agendas in the coming weeks.... it ain't over yet....

Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking I has seen that article before.

Glad to hear it isn't over. This one is worth fighting over. It's time to expose and end the good ole boy tactics in our city government.

metro
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Can anyone post Stantons, the mayors, and commissioners email addresses so that we can all spam them like we did with Karen Carney. I know the mayors is : mayor@okc.gov

righteousbros
05-08-2005, 06:27 AM
I don't have the OCURA commissioners' email addresses but Joe Van Bullard's should be easy to find....

Word is that the mayor and city manager are fed up with Stanton's manipulation and dominance of OCURA and changes are a comin.... however, it may not help on The Hill and it will languish as a grassy knoll after Trammell Crow takes their marbles home and the Doctor spends the next 2 years trying to figure out how to get started......Very sad that folks in power in OKC still don't have the gonads to use it boldly for good and not for evil.....