View Full Version : I keep hearing an intermittent rumble. Are they testing jet engines somewhere?

Joe Kimball
02-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Subject says it all.

stick47
02-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Location?

knightrider
02-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I've heard this recently also. I was in South Oklahoma city on the Moore/Norman border and I heard the rumble and it seemed to go on for about 10 minutes.

Roadhawg
02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
I had bean soup the other day :Smiley078

OklahomaNick
02-17-2012, 08:13 AM
My brother's sister's cousin talked to a waitress that said Boeing is relocating to Oklahoma City.
Something about a 40+ story tower downtown and a jet engine testing facility?

RadicalModerate
02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
My brother's sister's cousin talked to a waitress that said Boeing is relocating to Oklahoma City.
Something about a 40+ story tower downtown and a jet engine testing facility?

I hope they left her a good tip.
Word on the street has it that they are simply fine-tuning the earthquake generator so that property values can be better predicted and controlled.

FritterGirl
02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Oh, I thought that just happened at baseketball games.

OKCisOK4me
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Subject says it all.

I live in NW OKC and I heard the same thing last night. I was wondering why my place wasn't shaking along with it!

kevinpate
02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I've heard this recently also. I was in South Oklahoma city on the Moore/Norman border and I heard the rumble and it seemed to go on for about 10 minutes.

That may have simply been buffet line movement at Furr's

knightrider
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
That may have simply been buffet line movement at Furr's
This makes total sense now.......mystery solved! lol

Jesseda
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I am at will rogers airport and they test engines and sometimes it gets really loud and it hasa rumble sound to it. I do not know if it can be heard all the way in moore area?

FritterGirl
02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
In all seriousness, there was a report of a B1 taking off from Tinker on either Sunday or Monday evening. Definitely rattled windows in some of the areas south of town, and I heard/felt it up in Edmond as it circled over. The low cloud cover from that night's snow created a buffer so the sound stayed closer to the ground, or at least as it was explained to me.

OklahomaNick
02-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Are these two topics related?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/nickstud44/Related.jpg

metro
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
There is another thread on this. Something to do with the airport.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-17-2012, 02:58 PM
The contrail grid is now in place. 60 years in the making.

Rest easy citizens.

OKCisOK4me
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
You know since everyone is making a mockery of this thread, I'll send a private message to the OP since he probably overlooked it due to the lack of seriousness...

Questor
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
It depends on what time of day you are hearing this. Yes the airport and Tinker have engine test facilities and heavy aircraft taking off and that could definitely be what someone is hearing, but all of this is uncommon after midnight. Sometimes it is possible to hear trains traveling up and down the Santa Fe line at great distances from it... from far away it sounds like a soft rumble. Back when we were having earthquakes every other night I perceived the earthquakes as an almost thunderstorm-like rumbling sound. I did check the USGS website and we have not had any earthquake activity recently and so that wasn't it.

I heard an unusual sound that went on for a while several nights ago; it was odd but I didn't think much about it. It was very late at night. At the time I wondered if it could have been after-midnight highway construction as the city has been doing some of that recently in my area.

You mentioned the border of Moore and Norman. Folks may be unaware that when the new Norman HealthPlex opened last year this facility included a medical helicopter pad and it does get regular use including at odd times during the night. It could be that your friends are not yet used to it and perhaps this is what they are hearing. I am not sure of the helicopter type but it doesn't sound like something standard, it does in fact have an unusually bass-like hum to it. Also unless I am mistaken I think that more than one type of helicopter does come in and out of that hospital.

The only other thing I can think of is there have been many reports of 'mysterious hums' in the international news recently. One report interviewed a physicist who was claiming that increasing solar activity was causing the aurora borealis to be seen further south and that there was an electro-magnetic interference pattern of some kind that was becoming audible to humans. I don't know how much credence I give the report, it seems to elaborate and has inconsistencies.

Anyway just several things to chew on.

OKCisOK4me
02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Questor, this was a different kind of rumble than passing trains from miles away.

Joe Kimball
02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, it was occurring right as I posted the thread. I didn't flesh out the post too much so as to perhaps get a quick answer; it honestly sounded very similar to the recent large earthquake, if a tad artificial due to the pauses.

Hi metro! Yes, I had read that thread a long time ago. It was very interesting!

I had friends metrowide confirm the sounds. Thanks for the answers!

UncleCyrus
02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
I live a few miles north and west of Tinker, and the rumbles always seem to come from that direction, so I just assumed it was engine testing. Not really a new thing though, as I have heard it off and on since we moved to this area three years ago.

Roadhawg
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Questor, this was a different kind of rumble than passing trains from miles away.

It wasn't those irritating train whistles that should be outlawed was it? lol

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
People from all over the world were hearing this in 2011(maybe 2012 idk), but go to youtube and search strange noises in atmosphere. Alot of conspiracy theories out there. haarp, nasa's weather control machine, end of the world ect. But i'm sure it could have just been drilling or something. How long was this going on for?

Snowman
06-24-2012, 04:39 PM
wrong thread

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
So you just changed the title of the tread to post something completely off topic How?

Snowman
06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
How?

I posted that to the wrong thread

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I posted that to the wrong thread np

Cocaine
06-29-2012, 07:46 PM
I think they finally came to get us. We were warned but no one listened and they will be here soon.

RadicalModerate
06-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Mystery Solved!:
This all relates to testing train whistle mufflers.
On account of a complaint from a guy from Kansas who goes by torea.

apparently, this task is not as simple as it may seem
throw a few drones into the mix.
not the spy drones . . . the other drones.
the ones with the annoying buzzing sound =)

OKCisOK4me
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
That guy is a tard and I will not believe that.

Plutonic Panda
06-30-2012, 05:30 PM
that guy is a tard and i will not believe that. ha