View Full Version : Our Deadly Drug Problem!

bucktalk
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
How horrific does it have to become before we grasp the severity of America's drug problem? I hear/read all the concern for the amount of drugs coming from Mexico. It seems to me, however, the issue is not 'supply'. The problem is 'demand'. I realize drugs to one degree or another has been a part of American history for many, many years. But I guess my question is how can we ever curtail 'demand'? What is it in some people they are willing to fund the drug cartel and at the same time self-destruct?

HewenttoJared
02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Because they haven't found anything better to do with their time.

RadicalModerate
02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm afraid that I can't accept that statement without a graph to back it up.

Bunty
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Partly solve the drug problem by decriminalizing illegal drugs. Portugal did it and drug abuse is well down. Arresting Whitney Houston for her drug problems was wrong.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/

boscorama
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
What we need is a War on Drugs!

Roadhawg
02-17-2012, 07:13 AM
We should decriminalize it and tax it... killing two birds with one stone

cfeken
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
To much money in arresting druggies letting them go and re-arresting. Courts made what $5000 on frist arrest and it goes up from there. You drugs are a golld mine for the courts

cfeken
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Sorry pc@work missing keys

Bunty
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
What we need is a War on Drugs!

As long as drugs are a serious crime, it will always be a war on people doing drugs, rather than a war on actual drugs.

bucktalk
02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
No one is able to address the 'demand' issue? Regardless of legal or illegal format - the question is WHY do some choose to self-destruct with drugs....thus driving up demand?

Roadhawg
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
No one is able to address the 'demand' issue? Regardless of legal or illegal format - the question is WHY do some choose to self-destruct with drugs....thus driving up demand?

The same could be asked about alcohol and tobacco?

Pete
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
The biggest problem now by far is Crystal Meth and that is almost all cooked in small labs all over the U.S.

I watched a great documentary on PBS's Frontline a couple of weeks ago... You can read more about it and watch the whole thing on-line:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/

NoOkie
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
The biggest problem now by far is Crystal Meth and that is almost all cooked in small labs all over the U.S.

I watched a great documentary on PBS's Frontline a couple of weeks ago... You can read more about it and watch the whole thing on-line:

I was listening to the news yesterday morning and they did a piece on how that's changing. The Mexican cartels are getting into Meth, and more and more of it is industrially produced and smuggled north. No numbers, other than the 15 ton bust that the Mexicans publicized.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/16/146952040/mexican-cartels-push-meth-beyond-u-s-market

Pete
02-17-2012, 01:13 PM
There is a new law pending in Mexico that will severely limit the import of raw materials needed for Crystal Meth.

There had been a good flow from Mexico to labs in the U.S. in the 90's but that has largely but cut off. What is happening now is they are actually cooking in Mexico.

I make these points because I think too often the border issues get overstated when it comes to drugs. As stated earlier, if there is a demand there will always be a supply, and where that supply comes from merely shifts around.

NoOkie
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
There is a new law pending in Mexico that will severely limit the import of raw materials needed for Crystal Meth.

There had been a good flow from Mexico to labs in the U.S. in the 90's but that has largely but cut off. What is happening now is they are actually cooking in Mexico.

I make these points because I think too often the border issues get overstated when it comes to drugs. As stated earlier, if there is a demand there will always be a supply, and where that supply comes from merely shifts around.

Oh, I'm with you on that. We saw how well Prohibition turned out, after all.

I just found it interesting that the cooking as moved to a larger scale outside of the country. Being from Georgia, I always thought of Meth as something cooked up by insane hillbillies in trailers.

Roadhawg
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM

That was a good piece on Meth

Bunty
02-17-2012, 05:25 PM
To discourage meth use, I wish there could be before and after face shots of meth addicts put up as public service announcements all over the media, including on billboards.

Roadhawg
02-18-2012, 08:46 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEHH5lC6qeeVotP1yktkqteej6hYDtk xqHJocTH_v3T-MJGfLv
http://video1.break.com/dnet/media/2011/2/1/1995781_c3034cfd-af87-45ad-b4c8-6e538a8744fd_prod.jpg?1B608EE7AFCE3765E176F3C6FBB9 8002B3D18C64572F2307D76EAE7CA57DF2B1397C

White Peacock
02-20-2012, 01:30 AM
One important thing to do is to stop putting all drugs under the same umbrella. Marijuana is not like meth; but as long as they're both scheduled substances, they'll always be associated. That's where the "gateway" idea gets its validity. Marijuana isn't a gateway drug because other drugs are like marijuana. It's a gateway drug because it's harmless and pretty easy to get, but you have to buy it from a drug dealer. If you want to buy some pot, you're pretty likely to be exposed to other drugs. You go for a harmless plant that gets you high, and you become exposed to things that actually are destructive or are far more than you can handle responsibly, and that can, and does, become a problem for some people. Legalize it and make it available in specialty shops and you remove pot smokers from the criminal element, and that will do a lot in and of itself.

Bunty
02-20-2012, 10:08 AM
One important thing to do is to stop putting all drugs under the same umbrella. Marijuana is not like meth; but as long as they're both scheduled substances, they'll always be associated. That's where the "gateway" idea gets its validity. Marijuana isn't a gateway drug because other drugs are like marijuana. It's a gateway drug because it's harmless and pretty easy to get, but you have to buy it from a drug dealer. If you want to buy some pot, you're pretty likely to be exposed to other drugs. You go for a harmless plant that gets you high, and you become exposed to things that actually are destructive or are far more than you can handle responsibly, and that can, and does, become a problem for some people. Legalize it and make it available in specialty shops and you remove pot smokers from the criminal element, and that will do a lot in and of itself.

Most of the legislators at the State Capitol would strongly disagree with you over legalizing pot mainly because a number of them have consulted with police chiefs, doctors, along with heads from the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, who also strongly disagree with you. They all don't so much as want medical marijuana to be legalized in Oklahoma. People at the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs hope to get people discouraged from thinking about legalizing medical marijuana by warning them that marijuana contains over 400 chemicals. I bet that statement scares a lot of naive legislators, some you may admit to living under a rock when it comes to knowing about marijuana.

Roadhawg
02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Our deadly drug problem claimed one of my pictures :(