View Full Version : Question on Tipping

Jersey Boss
02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Recently I have been to two different establishments in Norman that have given me pause as to what is the appropriate tip when dining. Both establishments are set up to where you place your order at the counter, pay at that time, get your own drink, and find seating on your own. A person brings your food order to your table, but unless you are ordering alcohol, that is the last you see of the server. Is a tip warranted and if so how much? BTW, I usually tip 20% at the standard set up of being seated and giving your order to your server and having drinks brought to you. Thanks.

Pete
02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Do they also clean your table for you?

If so, I never tip for counter service but would leave a couple of bucks on the table for the busboy.

kevinpate
02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
If I'm doing the bulk of the service, I tend to do a buck for under 10.00 orders, 10%, rounded up to the nearest midbuck for larger orders. On the other hand, there are several serve yourself situations where a nice lass offers to bring additional drinks. The way I sometimes consume soda, that's fair game for the standard 20% or better.

BBatesokc
02-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Sounds like the same situation when I eat at Big Truck or other similar restaurants (Big truck calls your name out, but they will also bring it out to you).

I don't tip in those situation unless something out of the ordinary or exceptional service is provided and warrants a tip. Even then it would be minimal ($1-ish per order).

BoulderSooner
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I know it isn't the most comfortable thing to do but really the best solution is to simply ask if they make $2.34 an hour or if they make a standard hourly. In Oklahoma, wait staff can be paid a unique, low hourly rate if their job has a tip component. However, some companies choose to actually be a little more mature about it and pay standard minimum wages. If you are unsure if the person is relying on a tips, the easiest way is to ask them if they make more than say $5 an hour. If they do, they will most likely be getting the federal minimum. If they are not, they are most likely earning the state loophole rate of less than $3/hr. In which case, please tip generously. There is nothing more demoralizing than to sit in a restaurant that has only a couple customers while making $2.50/hr and then getting little to no tip after giving good service. This is why turnover is so high. It isn't an easy job to begin with but a few bad days can really throw you for a financial loop and with so little coming in on your paycheck, tips make all the difference.

on a weekly basis .. waiters have to make at least full min wage if they don't make enough tips .. their employeer must make up the difference

RadicalModerate
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
As an "overgenerous" tipper (on account of being a hobby cook with relatives in the "hospitality industry"), I really appreciate the thoughts expressed on this thread.
No kidding. No joke.

(My big--unanswered--question in this connection is: Is it better for the people who gave you passable to excellent service to be "tipped" on the credit card receipt; or is cash on the table more appreciated? I always have a moment of concern/unfounded but probably accurate paranoia regarding just how low the "diner" at the next table or booth will stoop when it comes to stealing cash from the intended recipients.)

BBatesokc
02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
As an "overgenerous" tipper, I really appreciate the thoughts expressed on this thread.
No kidding. No joke.

(My big--unanswered--question in this regard is: Is it better for the people who gave you passable to excellent service to be "tipped" on the credit card receipt or is cash on the table more appreciated? I always have a moment of concern/unfounded but probably accurate paranoia regarding just how low the "diner" at the next table or booth will stoop when it comes to stealing cash from the intended recipients.)

Coming from the bar industry, we preferred cash tips. Usually the bar would tell us what the sales were for the night and make us record our tips in a tip book. In reality everyone would just get together and record roughly the same amount and pick something that matched the sales recorded. Didn't matter much to me as the girls always made far more than 20% of sales. What the guys recorded was usually pretty accurate.

When it came to credit card tips, a few places I worked for took a small percentage of that for 'processing fees and bookkeeping.'

RadicalModerate
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the responses
(and sorry that I shared my personal distrust of the general "dining public" =)

So . . .
Would it be "bad" form--or "good" form--to put a 15%(+) tip on the receipt and slip 5%(+) in cash into the hand of your waitperson who did most of the actual table service?

The whole "pooling" of tips concept sounds too . . . Friendly Communistic/Early New Testament Activist=) to me.
However, I'm halfway through "Kitchen Confidential" by that [fill in the blank] and am glad that I never seriously considered attempting to become a "chef" and open a restaurant.

("Processing Fees" by "Management" on TIPS . . . Geez . . . I'm speechless at the abomination)

kevinpate
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not big on putting myself between my server and his/her co-workers .. or the BOH practices of a particular shoppe.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Does that mean that handing some greenbacks to Your "server" (who excelled at his or her craft) only provides a different opportunity for theft within the policies of the particular shoppe?

Probably it does.
(Even if I have no clue what BOH stands for . . . Bank Of Honduras? Bread On Hand? =)

OK: Cash is out . . . Except at Sonic.
(Which, if you will recall, is about the point at which this entire conversation began =)

kevinpate
02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
BOH - Back of House services

As for Sonic, I tend to tip. I'm old school to the point of if I have a dollar, my purchase power sits at 80-85 cents including applicable taxes.

I worked several food shoppes in my teens and early adult days. While I typically wasn't in a server position I did develop a deep respect for the folk who make their living that way. Pretty much all my career and volunteer choices since then have also had a heavy service to others emphasis.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Ahh . . . Back of House.
(And I agree with you: It is not a good idea to disrupt that sort of working relationship. If you don't belive me, read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony the A-hole.)

Thank you, again, Sir.

I only worked at The International House of Pancakes (age 14? dishwasher) and Kentucky Fried Chicken (age 17-19). Bourdin's book sort of validated my impression of The Industry.

Which is why I prefer to cook at home and tip generously when going out to dine.

(P.S.: Since Sonic put the Credit Card swipers on the menu boards, If I don't have a dollar bill in my pocket, I just can't bring myself to enjoy some of the delights that Sonic has to offer. Those kids may not need a "tip" but I think that even a dollar bill--or three--does wonders for their self-esteem.)

SoonerDave
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Recently I have been to two different establishments in Norman that have given me pause as to what is the appropriate tip when dining. Both establishments are set up to where you place your order at the counter, pay at that time, get your own drink, and find seating on your own. A person brings your food order to your table, but unless you are ordering alcohol, that is the last you see of the server. Is a tip warranted and if so how much? BTW, I usually tip 20% at the standard set up of being seated and giving your order to your server and having drinks brought to you. Thanks.

Pretty simple rule for me: If its a self-service place, where I stand in line to order, stand in line to get my drinks, stand in line to get refills, and all they provide is a table, with the expectation that I clean up my own mess when I'm done, there's no tip. There's no one providing the table service that has earned the tip.

Places like buffets and walk-up cafes generally fall into this category.

If someone comes to my table, takes the order, brings it to me, and checks to make sure my meal is what I wanted and is properly prepared, then they will almost always get 15% of the bill before tax.

If it is someone at a table-service restaurant who brings me a stone-cold appetizer, then lukewarm entrees, and never bothers to even refill my family's water glasses until we're nearly through, they never get zero, but they do get $1 as a reminder that, no, I didn't forget to tip...you didn't come close to earning it.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I think Sooner Dave is right on target. TipWise:
Irrefutable Real Life, Experience/Logic combined with Generous Kindness.
(plus maybe just a touch of . . . "sarcasm" as a reminder?)

(I don't tip on tax either. That is simply stupid.)

Say!
It just occured to me:
How about we each vote on whether or not our elected "Table Servers"/"Representatives"
get a "tip" in the form of a pension?

Sorry . . .
I detected a trace of "politics" in there . . . =)

Ginkasa
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Pretty simple rule for me: If its a self-service place, where I stand in line to order, stand in line to get my drinks, stand in line to get refills, and all they provide is a table, with the expectation that I clean up my own mess when I'm done, there's no tip. There's no one providing the table service that has earned the tip.

If someone comes to my table, takes the order, brings it to me, and checks to make sure my meal is what I wanted and is properly prepared, then they will almost always get 15% of the bill before tax.

If it is someone at a table-service restaurant who brings me a stone-cold appetizer, then lukewarm entrees, and never bothers to even refill my family's water glasses until we're nearly through, they never get zero, but they do get $1 as a reminder that, no, I didn't forget to tip...you didn't come close to earning it.

Pretty much this, yeah.

FritterGirl
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM

I am in this camp, most definitely. In fact, I really rather resent the idea that when I am up paying for the food I stood in line to order BEFORE I go to get my drinks, napkins, etc., that there is a "TIP" line on the credit card receipt. It really makes me squirm for some reason, because these people are asking for more money than the wage they are likely getting, which is NOT the "server" rate, and for providing the minimum service.

The ONLY difference between these types of restaurants (Nihnja, Smashburger, Yakamoto, come to mind) and fast food restaurants is that they bring the food to me and clean my table. Everything else, I do myself. So really, shouldn't I be tipping myself?

I wonder if anyone in the restaurant industry can clarify the pay break-down for these types of establishments.

Richard at Remax
02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
If you need to rely on a tip jar at a self service establishment (texadelphia for example) then you need to find a new job

SoonerDave
02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
In fact, I really rather resent the idea that when I am up paying for the food I stood in line to order BEFORE I go to get my drinks, napkins, etc., that there is a "TIP" line on the credit card receipt.

I don't know if they still engage in the practice, because I haven't returned there since it opened, but the Furr's buffet in Moore had the audacity to ask what I wanted to leave for a tip WHEN I WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR!!! I ordered two adult buffets, two child dinners, and just waters to drink, and I kid you not the clerk said something to the effect of "Would you like to go ahead and put your tip on your bill," or "How much of a tip were you going to be leaving today," and I overheard the same line being used at the other register. Not one *ounce* of service had been provided to me and they were already fishing for the tip. It really set me off.

After a half-hour wrangling through horrendously laid-out buffet lines and a horde of people on what was one of their opening weekends, and ultimately having to ask someone just to get water glasses filled, I haven't been back. I remember thinking to myself, "No food can be this good." And it wasn't.

And no, I didn't leave a tip.

Given that the place is typically packed when I drive by, I have to assume things have either gotten better, or people are willing to put up with a lot of hassle for bulk feeding. Given Golden Corral's longevity, I have to assume the latter is no small factor...alas...

The tipping issue is a frustrating one for me, because I remember my days as a busboy at the old ChiChi's in south OKC, and I remember what hard, thankless work it is, and how much I appreciated the tips. We were tipped out of whatever the waiters/waitresses got, and the busboys always got shafted. Fortunately, a few customers saw what the busboys did, and every once in a while one of them would slip me a $20 and tell me "dude, that's for you, no one else. I see how you're working."

Now, on the other side of that fence as a customer, I realize that eating out is an expensive proposition for a family of four, and a tip is part of the deal in most places. I don't mind at all tipping for good service, and I will gladly go over the 15% when someone has really busted their backside for me. All that said, the idea that tipping is just something you're expected to do regardless of the service you receive just doesn't go very far with me. Giving a tip to someone just because they show up at the table is an insult to the workers who DO want to give you a nice restaurant experience and bust their hump to do it.

Hope that makes sense...

ljbab728
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't know if they still engage in the practice, because I haven't returned there since it opened, but the Furr's buffet in Moore had the audacity to ask what I wanted to leave for a tip WHEN I WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR!!! I ordered two adult buffets, two child dinners, and just waters to drink, and I kid you not the clerk said something to the effect of "Would you like to go ahead and put your tip on your bill," or "How much of a tip were you going to be leaving today," and I overheard the same line being used at the other register. Not one *ounce* of service had been provided to me and they were already fishing for the tip. It really set me off.

After a half-hour wrangling through horrendously laid-out buffet lines and a horde of people on what was one of their opening weekends, and ultimately having to ask someone just to get water glasses filled, I haven't been back. I remember thinking to myself, "No food can be this good." And it wasn't.

And no, I didn't leave a tip.

Given that the place is typically packed when I drive by, I have to assume things have either gotten better, or people are willing to put up with a lot of hassle for bulk feeding. Given Golden Corral's longevity, I have to assume the latter is no small factor...alas...

The tipping issue is a frustrating one for me, because I remember my days as a busboy at the old ChiChi's in south OKC, and I remember what hard, thankless work it is, and how much I appreciated the tips. We were tipped out of whatever the waiters/waitresses got, and the busboys always got shafted. Fortunately, a few customers saw what the busboys did, and every once in a while one of them would slip me a $20 and tell me "dude, that's for you, no one else. I see how you're working."

Now, on the other side of that fence as a customer, I realize that eating out is an expensive proposition for a family of four, and a tip is part of the deal in most places. I don't mind at all tipping for good service, and I will gladly go over the 15% when someone has really busted their backside for me. All that said, the idea that tipping is just something you're expected to do regardless of the service you receive just doesn't go very far with me. Giving a tip to someone just because they show up at the table is an insult to the workers who DO want to give you a nice restaurant experience and bust their hump to do it.

Hope that makes sense...

It's interesting that you made that comment about Furr's. It must not be a company policy. I eat occasionally at Furr's at 63rd and May and have never had that experience.

Joe Kimball
02-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Anything less than full service will warrant a tip in extraordinary circumstances (special order that is above-and-beyond, nice or I know them, etc.).

It was suggested by a server friend to at least double the tax for a tip (16-18%, depending on where in the metro you are).

Bill Robertson
02-17-2012, 06:27 AM
I know it isn't the most comfortable thing to do but really the best solution is to simply ask if they make $2.34 an hour or if they make a standard hourly. In Oklahoma, wait staff can be paid a unique, low hourly rate if their job has a tip component. However, some companies choose to actually be a little more mature about it and pay standard minimum wages. If you are unsure if the person is relying on a tips, the easiest way is to ask them if they make more than say $5 an hour. If they do, they will most likely be getting the federal minimum. If they are not, they are most likely earning the state loophole rate of less than $3/hr. In which case, please tip generously. There is nothing more demoralizing than to sit in a restaurant that has only a couple customers while making $2.50/hr and then getting little to no tip after giving good service. This is why turnover is so high. It isn't an easy job to begin with but a few bad days can really throw you for a financial loop and with so little coming in on your paycheck, tips make all the difference.Don't blame Oklahoma. The reduced minimum wage tor tip earners is part of the Federal minimum wage law.

Jersey Boss
02-17-2012, 03:39 PM
I can't even imagine asking someone what they get paid. On top of that I can't imagine anyone answering the question.

ctchandler
02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
sidburgess,
Just the fact that each state is a sovereign state, they can set their own minimum requirements as long as they are not less than the Federal law. And even that depends on whether the particular employer is involved in interstate commerce or strictly a local business. Therefore, they can require higher compensation for waitstaff than is mandated by the feds.
C. T.

Didn't know that. I have talked with servers from other states that were floored at the idea. I wonder if states can go "above and beyond" these requirements?

JuJuBeans
02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not trying to be rude, but to me it as always been common sense if you got good service that person or establishment should get a good tip meaning 20% usually or higher. I also think it's very cheap when a person makes a takeout order and then when they come to pick up their food they don't tip the hostess. The hostess took the time to take the order down, take the ticket order to the kitchen, and carry out the food, and a lot of times help make some part of the food. If you can't afford to give a tip then you shouldn't go out to eat, simple.

ljbab728
02-19-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm not trying to be rude, but to me it as always been common sense if you got good service that person or establishment should get a good tip meaning 20% usually or higher. I also think it's very cheap when a person makes a takeout order and then when they come to pick up their food they don't tip the hostess. The hostess took the time to take the order down, take the ticket order to the kitchen, and carry out the food, and a lot of times help make some part of the food. If you can't afford to give a tip then you shouldn't go out to eat, simple.

I"m sorry but just delivering food to someone isn't what is deserving of a tip. A tip should mean getting something more than what is required. When you say the hostess took time to do something, isn't that what her or his (it could be a host you know) time is for? How is that different than driving through a McDonald's? The person at the window takes the time to take your order and hand it to you and sometimes fixes your drink. If someone wants to tip everyone at every place that they eat I have no problem with that but I won't condemn or call someone cheap who picks and chooses where or how much to tip depending on how they feel it's warranted.

SatelliteHigh
02-19-2012, 05:34 AM
I used to work at Jason's Deli. There, about half the time your food is brought to you (if it's large or if it's something that takes a little while to make), and someone cleans your table. Drinks are self-service. Nobody tipped on credit card receipts since you pay before you get your food or anything. Every once in a while people would leave cash (such as a dollar or two) on a table. If I had to guess I would say it was probably around 1 out of 50 tables.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's about how it was. If you left cash on the table, it obviously isn't going anywhere other than the busser's pockets. The busser at Jason's Deli always had to work really hard and move really fast for about a couple hours during lunch hour to keep enough tables clear for more people coming in. On the other hand, giving a tip just for cleaning off a table does sound like a bit much. On the other hand though, I would say they do more work than a car hop at Sonic, who simply had to walk a short distance and come back. As opposed to a busser who had to walk around pushing a heavy cart (I had to do it sometimes, and that thing was extremely hard to push even for a guy after it got loaded with dishes), constantly stack up dishes, and clean up after a lot of people that seem to get ranch dressing everywhere after devouring their salad. At some places, the busser doesn't even push a cart around, but has to go back and forth carrying dishes. Again, it may not need a full 15% or anything, but it's way more work than a Sonic car hop.

I think the main reason only about 1 out of 50 people tip a busser at a place like Jason's Deli as opposed to a car hop at Sonic or even the person that fills up your drink at a buffet, is that the person that busses your table is usually never seen. They come after you leave. When you never have to look a person in the eye you probably won't feel guilty for not leaving a tip.

I say just tip in proportion to what they do. Out of all the services one could provide, how many did they provide and how difficult were they? Perhaps tip 50 cents at Jason's Deli where it only goes to the busser. Perhaps at a buffet where plates are taken, but drinks are not refilled or food is not ordered or brought, tip $1. If it's a buffet where drinks are refilled and plates are taken away, tip $2, and so on. I know leaving 50 cents might sound lame and insignificant, but if a busser at Jason's Deli got 50 cents with every table at lunch hour, he/she would make out pretty well and be pretty happy. With car hops, I say just simply round up (if you're paying cash), or 50 cents if you're doing credit card.

Also, I think just judging by the amount of service they do as opposed to doing a percentage of the cost makes more sense. Why should a waiter at an upscale restuarant that serves you 3 expensive gourmet burgers make twice as much in tips as someone at a hole-in-the-wall that brought you 3 cheap burgers? They probably did the same amount of work, one just brought out cheaper food. I don't believe it's harder to carry more "gourmet" food.

That's just my 2 cents. Also, when I worked for Jason's Deli I was a day time delivery driver. Most of my orders were basically catering orders to OKC business, hospitals, etc. Many of the orders were around $500 to over a thousand dollars. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that roughly 50% of people would tip at all.

Take into account someone had to make about 100 sandwhiches, cut them up into quarters, and arrange them onto trays. Someone then had to stack them all up in their car, gather utensils, chips, etc. Someone then had to drive across OKC on expensive gas, haul everything up, usually taking mulitple trips going up and down elevators to the 10th floor of some downtown tower or OU medical tower. Said person than had to set everything up on a table.

Most of the people that didn't tip were pharmaceutical reps buying for hospital offices that hadn't arrived yet (but conveinently didn't tell any nurse to put on a tip or add one over the phone when the order was put in), or a receptionist that signs the receipt, but doesn't tip because the boss didn't tell her to leave one. In other words, these reps or business people or doctors didn't have to actually look the delivery driver in the eye, so they usually didn't feel guilty about not leaving a tip.

Of course, the occaisonal 10% tipper with a $500 order (so a $50 tip), would usually make up for the non-tippers and we'd make out pretty well, but it was still pretty shocking. The most extreme example when I worked there was on a $16,000 order, where workers actually had to work overnight baking cookies, etc, and vans had to be borrowed and many people had to be brought. The tip was absolutely 0. It was for a well-known OKC event. I can tell who it was if anyone cares.

Again, just my two cents.

WilliamTell
02-19-2012, 07:11 AM
-I'm not trying to be rude, but to me it as always been common sense if you got good service that person or establishment should get a good tip meaning 20% usually or higher.

-I also think it's very cheap when a person makes a takeout order and then when they come to pick up their food they don't tip the hostess. The hostess took the time to take the order down, take the ticket order to the kitchen, and carry out the food, and a lot of times help make some part of the food.

-If you can't afford to give a tip then you shouldn't go out to eat, simple.

I love comments like this...

I also love how tipping has gone (im not even 30 yet) within the last 10 years from 10 percent, to 15 percent, 20 percent for exceptional service, to now (as you put it) to atleast 20 percent. Get real and get a real job.

I also love the self entitled attitude of servers and now even hostesses on to go orders, and base that on working as a waiter for awhile in high school. It is not a hard job, yes it does get busy but IT IS NOT A HARD JOB. You take a food order, put it into a computer, take it to people, and then refill their drinks. Hostesses dont even do that, they just take an order over the phone and hand it to you. That is it, so please stop acting like your performing 10 hours of manual labor in the sun everyday.

I also love how an employee of a company entitles them self to dictate who or who not is allowed to visit their employers establishment.

I've worked in all positions inside of a restaurant. Ive worked in the kitchen,dish pit, bussed tables, sat people, and waited; but ive never understood why waiters have such an entitled attitude. Out of all the jobs its by far the easiest. Pull your same shift back in the 120 degree kitchen where you are actually creating those meals that you find so hard to walk to a table and you might grow up a bit.

ctchandler
02-19-2012, 09:43 AM
OK, a little different twist on this tipping thing. I have recently been stopping by a nice bar and grill. It started when I was in a hotel hoping my home didn't burn in N. E. OKC (it didn't) during the August fires. About three times a week when I am in the area and almost every time I stop, I have two tall draft beers, settle up, leave a tip and go to the house. I'm a good but not extravagant tipper when I am provided good service but the bar tenders have all began confusing me. Almost every time I stop, one beer is complimentary so the charge is for one beer. How much should I tip? I know the "comp" beer is because they appreciate my business so they don't expect me to tip the price of the freebie, but do I simply tip as if I was paying the full amount, or more since a $13 dollar tab is now $6.50? I have been tipping almost $6 but there is no logic or percentage involved, I just sit there like a dummy till I figure out that I need to just leave something and go home. I'm sure there must be a proper rule and I hope one of you folks can provide it. I'm ready to head back to London, the neighborhood pubs are mostly nice and quiet and tips are unheard of for food or drink. Different in restaurants though, but even then, 10 percent is a good tip.
C. T.

BBatesokc
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
OK, a little different twist on this tipping thing. I have recently been stopping by a nice bar and grill. It started when I was in a hotel hoping my home didn't burn in N. E. OKC (it didn't) during the August fires. About three times a week when I am in the area and almost every time I stop, I have two tall draft beers, settle up, leave a tip and go to the house. I'm a good but not extravagant tipper when I am provided good service but the bar tenders have all began confusing me. Almost every time I stop, one beer is complimentary so the charge is for one beer. How much should I tip? I know the "comp" beer is because they appreciate my business so they don't expect me to tip the price of the freebie, but do I simply tip as if I was paying the full amount, or more since a $13 dollar tab is now $6.50? I have been tipping almost $6 but there is no logic or percentage involved, I just sit there like a dummy till I figure out that I need to just leave something and go home. I'm sure there must be a proper rule and I hope one of you folks can provide it. I'm ready to head back to London, the neighborhood pubs are mostly nice and quiet and tips are unheard of for food or drink. Different in restaurants though, but even then, 10 percent is a good tip.
C. T.

From my restaurant/bar experience I would say you should feel comfortable tipping as little as the customary 15-20% of what the bill would have been had you been charged the full amount for each drink served.

When we use Groupons or other discounts, we always tip based on what the non-discounted bill would have been.

That said, I always get a bit concerned when drinks are 'on the house' unless I know the bartender is an owner or that the establishment allows staff to do comps. FYI - giving away regulated alcohol (cocktails is illegal).

My fear is that, one, the employee is risking their job simply to be nice to me. Two, they may indeed be stealing from the owner. Three, the employee is giving away product he doesn't own to make more money off the customer - which in turn can hurt the bar (though some can argue its good marketing if done correctly).

kevinpate
02-19-2012, 10:39 AM
As to a 'comp' situation, for tipping purposes I tend to ignore the comp aspect of the bill. What I am charged doesn't change the level of service I receive. It simply represents less funds to the establishment for their costs. I access a lot of discounts so I am somewhat sensitive to the subject.

Recent examples -
Freebie code for a pizza and a drink where the only cost is standard delivery charge.
BOGO dinner at a casual food shoppe.
5.00 off two entrees at seafood shoppe
25.00 certificate good with a minimum 35.00 purchase
10.00 certificate good with a minimum of 20.00 purchase
etc.

Same time and effort involved for the server whether I pay full freight or a deeply discounted price. So I elect to tip as I would sans any discount.

ctchandler
02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
BBatesokc,
Even the Manager gives me a comp beer. And when it's listed as a comp on the check, it can't be a shady deal. If I thought it was, I wouldn't return. By the way, it is strictly beer. Now, if I read you correctly, If I am billed for one beer, tip as if it were two. That's where I was having trouble, I wanted to leave more than simply tipping as if it were two I was paying for so both the bartender and I benefited, but I can see where that could be a problem. As for Groupons or others, I always tip based on total price, not the price I am paying.
Thanks,
C. T.

ctchandler
02-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Kevinpate,
Thanks, I always base the tip on total price before any coupon/discount but I wasn't looking at the "comp" that way. Kind of makes sense though.
C. T.

BBatesokc
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
BBatesokc,
Even the Manager gives me a comp beer. And when it's listed as a comp on the check, it can't be a shady deal. If I thought it was, I wouldn't return. By the way, it is strictly beer. Now, if I read you correctly, If I am billed for one beer, tip as if it were two. That's where I was having trouble, I wanted to leave more than simply tipping as if it were two I was paying for so both the bartender and I benefited, but I can see where that could be a problem. As for Groupons or others, I always tip based on total price, not the price I am paying.
Thanks,
C. T.

Then all is good. When I managed bars I always had a comp policy. Found it helped create patron loyalty and kept the staff honest.

My rule was just an acceptable minimum (based on the value of what was served, not what was charged). If you want to tip more.... go for it!

My tipping at a bar is all over the place. If I'm just ordering and getting drink then I just give usually $1 drink (depends n the drink). If however the wait staff or bartender is especially attentive with conversation, letting me know about some event locally I wasn't aware of or pointing out someone I might want to try and meet then I tip more. I've had many bartenders introduce me to very good social and business contacts in this city.

JuJuBeans
02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course and yes most of us do have 'real jobs' but when I hostessed years ago people that did have takeout orders didn't see me or another hostess when busy run to the tables to refill water and help the servers with bringing out the orders while on a busy day running back and forth to answer phone calls get the food from the back bring it up to the person and checking them out. We worked harder than people seem to think we did, but I'm not wanting sympathy or even empathy my post just meant simply.... why not tip if you could afford the meal even two bucks? Are we really that cheap? Can we not afford a few more dollars when we have 'real jobs'? That's all.

WilliamTell
02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
why not tip if you could afford the meal even two bucks? Are we really that cheap? Can we not afford a few more dollars when we have 'real jobs'? That's all.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

I get what you are saying, but as i can still see in your response that you have this very deep rooted entitlement that most waiters/waitresses have. Someone else has a better paying job so by default you are entitled to some of their earnings. You also see this same sort of entitlement in welfare recipients and illegal immigrants.

Ginkasa
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
The problem as I see it is that tips are now "assumed." I absolutely hate that restaurants don't have to pay their employees minimum wage and can instead rely on tips from the customers to fill that gap. I creates this culture where tipping is just expected for even the most mundane of services. Tips should be given when the service is above and beyond. Anything less and that's just what your employer is paying you for.

On another note, I don't think being a waiter or waitress or anything restaurant related is somehow not a "real job." They work and they get paid. Sounds like a real job to me.

Teo9969
02-19-2012, 05:26 PM
"Professional" Server here...

Here's how it works:

Every company is obligated to pay their employees no less than $7.25 per hour worked during the pay period. However, there is a thing called a "tip-credit" which employers may take advantage of. The way the tip credit works is that a company is allowed to allocate claimed tips toward the total hourly wage. Now, they are still obligated to pay "subminimum" wage, which federally is set at $2.13/hour. The law is actually somewhat complex, and there exist a variety of models that states use. See: http://www.paywizard.org/main/minimum-wage/tipped-workers

Most places it is fairly easy to identify whether or not people make $2.13/hour or $7.25/hour. Places with full service staff: Host, Bus, Server, Bartender are almost all places that pay those positions $2.13/hour. Examples: Chili's, Olive Garden, Outback, Cheever's, RePUBlic, Red Prime.

Places where you rarely see employees in the same area as the guests are places that pay minimum wage. Examples: Starbucks, Moe's/Chipotle/Qdoba, Pei Wei, Fast Food, Johnnie's

I'm not sure where exactly buffets (Golden Corral/Luby's/Souper Salad, etc.) fall in this line, because they are usually self-service in most aspects. I would imagine employees are paid minimum wage and are rarely tipped. I rarely if ever go to places like these, so I've never thought to ask someone whether they fell in the $2.13/hour.

A good rule of thumb is that if someone is taking your drink order, they are probably paid under minimum wage.

Other places tips are customary: Hotels, Food Delivery (mainly pizza), Hair-cut, Salons.

As for restaurants, hate to tell some of you, but 20% is the standard tip, not 15%. And that's if you get standard service, which probably 80% of the time you do. The other 20% is divided between sub-par and above-average service.

If you are more interested in the nuts and bolts of the service industry, I recommend the following website:

http://wiserwaitress.com/