View Full Version : America West

mranderson
04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I have been tracking the flights on America West, partly because I have booked some of their flights for travel next month. The results are encouraging.

Every flight I have tracked is nearly full. If this trend continues, we stand a very high chance of getting our hub.

Will the possible merger with US Air cancel these plans? I have no idea. Since I no longer have the desire to ever see the woman who has the inside contact, I no longer have inside information.

We can hope they stay intact. 300 flights out of Will Rogers would be a good thing. I just hope the airport distrust takes off the blinders and is not caught off guard with all these planes and no where for them to dock.

Shake2005
04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
If AW buys USAIR that has to be bad news for the city to get a hub here, they are going to be cutting and reworking existing hubs and routes to make them profitable, not adding new hubs any time soon

mranderson
04-21-2005, 10:06 AM
If AW buys USAIR that has to be bad news for the city to get a hub here, they are going to be cutting and reworking existing hubs and routes to make them profitable, not adding new hubs any time soon

If the merger is approved, and America West takes US Air routes, it should have no effect what so ever on the potential hub for Oklahoma City. The merger will pay outstanding debt and build a stroner airline. Saying a merger will effect hub status makes no sense. This comes from a guy who was raised by a man who bought and sold companies like most people change their clothes.

JOHNINSOKC
04-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I think that if AW takes over US Airways routes, it may help OKC become a larger hub than what is currently planned, although, we don't really know IF it will happen or not, or how large it may be. Hopefully, we'll hear something fairly soon on the hub situation because this is truly the shot in the arm that this region needs to really move forward. I know that Raleigh/Durham and Nashville grew bigtime once American Airlines established hubs in both cities during the 1980's. Nashville actually built a new 50+ gate airport to accommodate AA. Having a MAJOR hub and airport would really be the answer to most of our problems. Once we start getting more high paying jobs and people moving here in droves, I think there will be more money to repair roads and everything else that is in need of improvement.

Shake2005
04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't disagree that it would be good for the city,

But with the money that USAir is losing and them already having eastern hubs they are going to be looking to rework the route structure of USAir and getting rid of excess employees to make the US portion profitable so it doesn't sink AW.

I actually think the merger is a terrible idea for AW, they should attack USAir in it's markets and kill it, not buy it and take on it's debt and worthless corporate structure.

mranderson
04-21-2005, 12:21 PM

But with the money that USAir is losing and them already having eastern hubs they are going to be looking to rework the route structure of USAir and getting rid of excess employees to make the US portion profitable so it doesn't sink AW.

I actually think the merger is a terrible idea for AW, they should attack USAir in it's markets and kill it, not buy it and take on it's debt and worthless corporate structure.

First. Attacking and killing your competitor makes for ill will. That tactic is the reason I can not stand the sight of American Airlines. If you "take on" debt and "worthless corporate stucture," if forces chapter seven, and will cause a rise in fares all the way around due to residual effects.

Next. The merger will enhance presence.

The quote is just another naysayer technique.

swake
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Attacking the competition when it's weak is how business is done baby, come on.

There never was going to be an OKC hub for America West, that was a load of crap, cities don't go from unserved to hub status in a matter of months or even short years. If they get USAIR cheap, then it gives them the eastern presence they have missed. They pay too much, America West dies too.

Patrick
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM

There never was going to be an OKC hub for America West, that was a load of crap, cities don't go from unserved to hub status in a matter of months or even short years. If they get USAIR cheap, then it gives them the eastern presence they have missed. They pay too much, America West dies too.

Actually, we have inside information that America West has been considering OKC for a hub location. Why? All of the other central hubs are taken. We can't release any names from AW for the sake of confidentiality, but they are using OKC as a test market right now for a possible hub expansion. Of course, if they take on US Air, that could derail that, as US Air already has hubs on the east coast.

mranderson, do you have any idea where US Air's hubs are?

Patrick
04-21-2005, 12:56 PM

First off, welcome to the forum Shake2005! We're happy to have you here.

I completely agree with you. Taking on US Air would only hurt AW financially. Personally, I don't see the real benefit, other than maybe getting their infrastructure.

That would almost be like Wal-Mart taking on K-Mart. Not sure what the real benefit there would be. Wal-Mart would never do that...it doesn't make any real business sense to do something like that already, when you're company is doing well.

I suppose AW could be looking at US Air though because it would allow them an easy entrance into the eastern market.

mranderson
04-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Sorry swake. I heard the man say Oklahoma City was under cosideration. also, if I am not mistaken I said over a period of two or so years. In addition. Since I have no idea when "never" is, that word is not in my dictonary. Think about that.

mranderson
04-21-2005, 01:16 PM
"mranderson, do you have any idea where US Air's hubs are?"

Yes. They have two I am aware of. Charlotte-Douglas International airport, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Philedelphia International airport, outside Philedephia, Pennsylvania. They had Pittsburgh, but closed it. I may have the Pennsylvania cities reversed, however.

This still places Oklahoma City in a great position. No central hub.

JOHNINSOKC
04-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Exactly my thoughts on the need for a central hub. I guess AA is one of the few airlines that realize the importance of establishing a central hub for evenly distributed traffic flow across the country. I hope we land this hub so we can keep all the naysayers quiet for a change.

HOT ROD
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
US AIR also has a minihub at DCA National Airport and La Guardia in NYC. Other than that, US Air has no Central or Western hub which is why they have been code sharing with United which has a very good East West but poor East coast.

America West has a good West Coast network, but a terrible East West network. Oklahoma City could be the solid answer for America West, regardless of the potential merger with US Airways.

If anything, US Airways has too many hubs in the east coast. There only needs to be one east coast and they need a central hub. US Airways has presence in the central and West but no hub.

America West has major hub in Phoenix and a mini in Vegas. AW has no central or east hub and limited presence outside of the west coast and Canada. AW needs a central hub in order to capitalize on an East Coast expansion (Phoenix is not centrally located - too south in addition to West).

Get my drift, US AIR needs a central hub to become competitive in the west and middle AND America West needs a central hub to enter the central and east.

OKC fits both scenarios! Of course, I think it would be better if AW came to OKC alone with a hub and US Air gave us some sort of service (if not a hub or minihub themselves), but it would not be devistating to OKC if the two merged as they both have similar needs in a central hub with prime access!

OKC Will Rogers World Airport is the BEST location of this, plus we have an emerging business market! You all know how many corporations have cited they wanted to come here but our lack of flights caused them to go to Dallas and elsewhere or stay put. now, imagine if we get this airline hub - I really see nothing but good coming from it.

We need the airport trust to get off their *ss and run with this one. We will probably not ever get this opportunity again, ever unless aviation technology drastically changes (which is predicted but well into the future).

Continue the Renaissance!

OUman
04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
US Airways now has a focus operation at Pittsburgh International and is building one at Fort-Lauderdale Hollywood Int'l. Another large operation, though not a hub is at Boston Logan Int'l.

OUman