View Full Version : Dickie's Barbeque Pit

Pages : [1] 2

SoonerQueen
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Quizno's is out and Dickie's Barbecue Pit is in at French Market Mall. I really hope it's good. Since Holley's went out, we have needed a new BBQ place NW. They are opening soon.

http://www.dickeys.com/default.aspx

tuck
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Texas chain. Famous for adding stores and closing them.

Stew
02-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Dickies is not delicious.

kevinpate
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Dickie's ain't yer huckleberry SoonerQueen. Just my own tastebuds at play here, but after it had been open in Norman a spell, I went there at the insistence of a friend.

It's not gross or nasty or nuttin', but it's not a bit special neither. I haven't been back, and I won't be going back. There was no shortage of good Q in Norman before Dickies, and their lil' shop on the east side of Norman ain't causing Sooner Legends, Van's, Ray's or Ruby's no fear down here.

jbkrems
02-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I've never heard anything good regarding Dickey's BBQ. Sounds like a cheap joint, and I'd rather go to Iron Starr or Earl's Rib Palace for my BBQ cravings.

RadicalModerate
02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Barbecue (BBQ) . . . Mall
Bacon . . . Milkshake

progressiveboy
02-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Dickies is not delicious. Dickies is average and ok. Not excellent but not horrible.

bluedogok
02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I ate at Dickey's once....right after I moved to Dallas in 1991. Their claim gives Texas BBQ a bad name.

There were a few opened in Austin in recent years, never seen much business at them, not a shock considering the BBQ in the Austin area. I saw one last night here in Denver.

rcjunkie
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
IMHO Dickey's is the Denny's of BBQ, if nothing else is open, it's pretty good food.

icecold
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Is this place open yet? I was stuck in Lubbock for work last year and there was a Dickie's next to the hotel. Thought it was pretty good and had a solid $6 lunch special. Not the best bbq I have ever had but not near as bad as some on here claim IMO.

SoonerQueen
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
No, they aren't open yet. Seems like it is moving along really slow.I'm going to give it a chance, but I'm picky about my BBQ.

soonermike81
03-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I've eaten at Dickie's several times, and like others have said on here... it's nothing special. Not great, not bad, just ok in my opinion. But then again, I'm not a huge bbq fan. And I prefer KC bbq anyways, specifically for their baked beans.

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 06:17 PM
:ou

Corndog1
03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Dickeys goal is to be to barbq what mcdonalds is to burgers. They arent amazing, but we are everywhere and we sell a ton of them. That is the goal, they dont want to compete with real barbq. They are fast food. I dont like them, but I respect the angle they are working at to take over a part of the food market.

RadicalModerate
03-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Would it be unfair to say that Dickie's Barbeque Pit is an affront to semi-***gy, non-authentic
BBQ?

(rhetorical post...no response necessary =)

easternobserver
03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
We ate at the MWC location not long ago. The best food we had was the self-service soft-serve ice cream. Everything else was pretty bad. The brisket was really, really fatty, the sauce was just not good, and the okra and beans were awful. My little guy did like the fries and chicken nuggets from the kids menu.

bbhill
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Dickeys goal is to be to barbq what mcdonalds is to burgers. They arent amazing, but we are everywhere and we sell a ton of them. That is the goal, they dont want to compete with real barbq. They are fast food. I dont like them, but I respect the angle they are working at to take over a part of the food market.

I'd respect that opinion except for the fact that their prices are the same or higher than REAL barbeque. For the price, Dickey's is by far the worst bbq around IMO.

Prunepicker
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Quizno's is out and Dickie's Barbecue Pit is in at French Market Mall. I
really hope it's good. Since Holley's went out, we have needed a new
BBQ place NW. They are opening soon.

http://www.dickeys.com/default.aspx
If it's the same Dickie's as in Texas it's not very good and it's not pit BBQ.
Steve's on Hefner is far, far better. Even Swadley's is better if only because
they are consistent. Dickie's is about as bad as Earl's if that's any
help. Earl's is pretty bad but it's trendy.

Prunepicker
03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
... And I prefer KC bbq anyways, specifically for their baked beans.
If you compare Dickie's to KC BBQ then Dickie's isn't BBQ. In fact they
shouldn't have BBQ in their name. I can't think of another place as bad
as Dickie's. Maybe Central BBQ in Memphis. That's pretty bad. Pizza
Hut has better BBQ than Dickie's.

T-rex
03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I've ate at the one in MWC twice
both times the portions(supposedly full size) were small
by the time i removed all the fat the portion size had shrank by about 30%
and i realize fat gives the meat flavor while cooking

larry's rib pit (or whatever it's called this week) in del city is the same way

Bullbear
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
If it's the same Dickie's as in Texas it's not very good and it's not pit BBQ.
Steve's on Hefner is far, far better. Even Swadley's is better if only because
they are consistent. Dickie's is about as bad as Earl's if that's any
help. Earl's is pretty bad but it's trendy.

THANK YOU!.. I was beginning to think I was the only person who doesn't "GET" Earls. I don't think it is very good at all. I am needing a good BBQ spot in the midtown area. I keep trying different ones and am not blown away by any of them.

Prunepicker
03-26-2012, 06:58 PM
THANK YOU!.. I was beginning to think I was the only person who doesn't
"GET" Earls. I don't think it is very good at all. I am needing a good BBQ
spot in the midtown area. I keep trying different ones and am not blown
away by any of them.
Earls is a trendy place. That's all. I didn't care for the County Line, either.
Kamp's has some might fine pulled pork. Not too crazy about the beef.
But the pulled pork is very good.

kevinpate
03-27-2012, 02:01 AM
... I am needing a good BBQ spot in the midtown area. ...

Not midtown, but not too far off, would be Bubba's at 715 NW 23rd St. It's been a few weeks now since I was in town at lunch time, except for a pop in and back out of DT in under 30 minutes last week to help someone out of a jam. But there multi meat combo was rather tasty when I was last in there.

Martin
03-27-2012, 08:29 AM
what i had from bubba's wasn't bad but their sauce is a bit non-traditional... lots of chili powder. not bad... just different. -M

Bullbear
03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Not midtown, but not too far off, would be Bubba's at 715 NW 23rd St. It's been a few weeks now since I was in town at lunch time, except for a pop in and back out of DT in under 30 minutes last week to help someone out of a jam. But there multi meat combo was rather tasty when I was last in there.

I have noticed BUBBAs haven't tried it yet.. thanks for the heads up I feel better about popping in there and will check it out!

Dubya61
03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm relatively sure I'm a philistine when it comes to BBQ. There's not much that I don't like if the meat has been smoked or put on a fire. I'm not even sure if I care one way or the other about the type of sauce. Having said that, this recommendation has a lot of disclaimers already, but I like Mr. Spriggs BBQ. The one in Midwest City is great in my book, and I've been told that they also have one open in MidTown ... maybe on 10th? I've got a few BBQ joints I don't like, but that's not the purpose of this thread.

Prunepicker
03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I have noticed BUBBAs haven't tried it yet..
Is this the same Bubba's that was on NW Expressway in the 80's then
moved to 39th Expswy and N. Portland?

corpsman
03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Is this the same Bubba's that was on NW Expressway in the 80's then
moved to 39th Expswy and N. Portland?Yep. Quite a bit cozier now since they are in a renovated house. Food is the same as always. If you liked them before, you will like them now. They still have Bubba Q Sauce, too.

Prunepicker
03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Yep. Quite a bit cozier now since they are in a renovated house.
Food is the same as always. If you liked them before, you will like
them now. They still have Bubba Q Sauce, too.
I thought it was descent but not enough to rave about. I ate
there about once a week because it was close to work. I'd try to
get the 'burnt ends'. It was definitely consistent.

One day he put up a letter, he would put them along the line for
customers to read, that was offensive to me. I left the restaurant
and decided not to go there anymore. I won't say what it was on
the board since he had every right to post it.

kevinpate
03-27-2012, 07:01 PM
what i had from bubba's wasn't bad but their sauce is a bit non-traditional... lots of chili powder. not bad... just different. -M

Oddly enough, it was the lack of need for any added sauce on that meat that got my attention. I tried it, but just barely. Would of been rude to not at least try it. Yet by and large the meat was moist enough and flavorful enough, including the ribs, there just really wasn't much need for the sauce at all. Sides were good also.

It's not so great that I would decide to drive in from Norman on a Q run, but if I'm in the metro I could see me picking Bubba's over msot anywhere else in OKC.

Larry OKC
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Was by Dickies yesterday and it looks like they are still a loooooong way from opening.

Debzkidz
04-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I haven't eaten at a Dickeys in a long time, and I plan on keeping it that way. Their original location in Dallas was near my grandmothers house, and I remember eating there a few times as a kid. Never liked it. The last time I ate at one was about 5-6 years ago, it was mediocre at best. Definitely not some place I would seek out.

I'm not an Earl's fan either. The last time I ate at the one in Bricktown was before a Thunder game last year. The food was absolutely inedible. I actually threw it away. I ended up eating a hotdog at the game.

sooner88
04-02-2012, 08:31 AM
What do you all get at Earl's when you go? I'm just curious, but my family and I have tried a lot of BBQ in Oklahoma and in the surrounding states and Earl's is still one of our favorites. I know that it is personal preference, but still don't know why it seems so many people don't like it.

Larry OKC
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
For me it was the Earl's sides...since most places want you to fill up on the theoretically less expensive sides (but based on what some charge for sides...) if they are below par then it is hard to make it up with the BBQ (which i thought was very decent)...gave them 3 tries before deciding against going back

boscorama
04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I had some sort of chicken sandwich which tasted ok but it was ground too fine for me. The bbq beans were terrible. If I ever go back I would try something different.

Larry OKC
04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
My problem is that it was so long ago, cant recall which sides I tried so it would be starting over...LOL

sooner88
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
I actually do like the beans.. but my go to is the Smokestack sandwich (chopped beef, hot link and coleslaw). I usually get the fried okra as my side which is my favorite around here.

Debzkidz
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I had a pulled pork sandwich. It was nothing but fat. Hubby had a sliced beef sandwich, and it wasn't much better. He ended up taking it apart and trying to cut the fat off. By the time he did, there wasn't much left. I'd had eaten there before this last experience. The first few times it was decent, but then it began to go downhill. Each time it got a bit worse. The last time was the final straw.

Slimjim
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
speaking of good barbque any idea where i can find me some pittsburg hotlinks the link sausage kind not those hot dog looking links

ctchandler
04-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Slimjim,
I have no idea what Pittsburg hotlinks are but you can buy hotlinks by the pound at Cusack Meats over on 301 Southwest 12th just West of Robinson. I have purchased ten pound boxes and I enjoyed them. I would suggest calling them at 232-2114.
C. T.

speaking of good barbque any idea where i can find me some pittsburg hotlinks the link sausage kind not those hot dog looking links

flintysooner
04-05-2012, 06:06 AM
There's a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hotlinks
There's a website: http://www.pittsburghotlinks.net/

SoonerQueen
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Dickey's is suppose to be opening today. Has anyone been yet?

Soonerman
05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Ray's BBQ in Norman is awesome.

Prunepicker
05-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Slimjim,
I have no idea what Pittsburg hotlinks are but you can buy hotlinks
by the pound at Cusack Meats over on 301 Southwest 12th just
West of Robinson. I have purchased ten pound boxes and I
enjoyed them. I would suggest calling them at 232-2114.
C. T.
Maybe the Pittsburgh hotlinks are cooked in a blast furnace.

From what I've heard, Cusack's gets their meat fron Schwabs. At
least they used to.

Prunepicker
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
THANK YOU!.. I was beginning to think I was the only person who
doesn't "GET" Earls. I don't think it is very good at all. I am needing
a good BBQ spot in the midtown area. I keep trying different ones
and am not blown away by any of them.
You're welcome. I've heard people who have to go to Earl's for
business lunches, and don't want to suffer with the BBQ, say
they have a pretty good hamburger.

It's like Crockett's was. I ate there 3 times before I realized it
was supposed to be bbq.

SoonerQueen
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
My husband went to Dickey's after work tonight and got some ribs. He said they were the best he had eaten in a long time. I don't know about the rest of the food, but he liked the ribs. I guess we'll try it out tomorrow.

Soonerman
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
You're welcome. I've heard people who have to go to Earl's for
business lunches, and don't want to suffer with the BBQ, say
they have a pretty good hamburger.

It's like Crockett's was. I ate there 3 times before I realized it
was supposed to be bbq.

There is a Crocketts in Lawton.

Prunepicker
05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
There is a Crocketts in Lawton.
Yes, and it's pretty good, not great. They catered the orchestra I've
played in, for 30 years, a few times. It was far better than any of the
Crockett's in the OKC area. I'm going to bet on quality control. The
OKC and Edmond Crockett's were mighty bad bbq. Edmond's was the
worst.

RadicalModerate
05-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I vaguely remember Crockett's BBQ . . . Was their "sliced beef" reminiscent of the stuff in those frozen cooking bags like from Banquet? Sort of like chopped up Arby's sandwich filler (which I actually like a lot with the Horsey Sauce) with some cheap BBQ sauce from the grocery store?

Prunepicker
05-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I vaguely remember Crockett's BBQ . . . Was their "sliced beef"
reminiscent of the stuff in those frozen cooking bags like from Banquet?
No, Crockett's smoked and served the frozen cooking bags that were
discarded from the Banquet dinners.

SoonerQueen
05-26-2012, 08:22 PM
I never know whether to listen to you all about restaurants. I'm glad I gave Dickey's a chance. We have eaten there two nights in a row and love the place.I had sliced brisket the first night and marinated chicken tonight. My son had the ribs. So far there isn't a single thing we don't like. The people are friendly, the place is clean, and the food very good. I have had 4 different sides and liked them all. I hope you all will try it out. I think you'll like it well enough to be a repeat customer.

Prunepicker
05-26-2012, 09:27 PM
SQ, we all have different tastes. What one person believes is awful
another will believe it's wonderful. Everyone has certain expectations
and they are all different.

Tell Mr. SQ, or is it SoonerKing?, that Prunie said, "hey"!

bluedogok
05-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I never know whether to listen to you all about restaurants. I'm glad I gave Dickey's a chance. We have eaten there two nights in a row and love the place.I had sliced brisket the first night and marinated chicken tonight. My son had the ribs. So far there isn't a single thing we don't like. The people are friendly, the place is clean, and the food very good. I have had 4 different sides and liked them all. I hope you all will try it out. I think you'll like it well enough to be a repeat customer.
That is part of the problem with franchises, it all depends on the owner and management of a particular franchise, some can be very good and some can be awful. Steak N Shake was like this with me, I had eaten at ones in Missouri (Springfield, St. Louis) and Cleveland, Ohio and they were great and the ones in Dallas were pretty good. The one in Austin was bad and at times beyond bad. I ate at one of the company owned Dickey's before they started franchising when I lived in Dallas 20 years ago and it was not very good, to me there are too many other much better BBQ places that I have eaten at to go to a place that was not inviting to me.

rcjunkie
05-27-2012, 05:05 AM
I've tried the Norman location 3 times. opening day, food was cold and service some of the worst I've had, decided to give them the benefit of opening day issues and tried them a second time, same issues. A friend I was visiting wanted to eat there last week, I reluctantly went, was even worse then the previous 2 visits. Absolutely the worst BBQ I've ever had, they couldn't pay me to eat there again.

kevinpate
05-27-2012, 07:04 AM
rc, you had worse experiences than my one time there.
The time I went, I followed along with a friend, who really likes it.

I dinna hate it. It just wasn't at, or in my view even near, the same level of tasty as some other places in town. When a place sits at number four, or lower, for a specific type of grub, it's pretty much non-existent for me. Maybe if everyone else but them loses power after a storm ... maybe.

Garin
05-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Bubba's is tuuurrible

Prunepicker
05-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Bubba's is tuuurrible
I don't doubt it. At one time it was very good. I loved the burnt
ends, ribs that were very crisp.

bluedogok
05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I went to Bubba's when I was back at Christmas, it was pretty good. The potato salad recipe had changed, I preferred the old recipe from his NW Expressway and 39th & Portland locations. David didn't look like he was doing well, talked to him a bit and he was recovering from some health issues.

I'm breaking in a new smoker tomorrow, had the curing fire today. I've got pulled pork, ribs and brisket on the menu...may have to try some burnt ends as well.

Prunepicker
05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Call me when dinner is on!

Larry OKC
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Went by Dickies yesterday (Tuesday, before the storms) to check it out. Only had 1 customer shortly after 5 pm and I quickly found out why. Their AC wasn't working properly and it was 86 degrees inside. Looked at the menu and mentioned to the cashier that I would be back and give them a shot when they got the AC fixed, that it was just too hot in there. She laughed in agreement. The manager was standing right by her and had absolutely no response. None. No, "I'm sorry...we are working on it...please do come back...here is a free drink coupon or discount for the inconvenience...etc" Not a good sign if the management cares that little about customers for a new business to the area.