View Full Version : Filtering?

Spookytourchick
04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Okay, im new here but I really need to vent to people that dont really know everything about me.

So anyway, I am trying to start up a local business that does "good" for the local tourism community... so far, its been nothing but positive feedback and a lot of support from local business. Last season we did great!
So, what do I do?
Well, let me start out saying, and im NOT playing a "sympathy" card here, but it is just the truth. I work full time and im a single mother of 2 and barely get child support... with that said, I had to make a choice, go work as a car hop at Sonic every night to make extra money OR take the "American Way" route and do something I enjoy in life... and what is this? I like telling people ghost stories and digging up strange and unusual history about Oklahoma.
I am fascinated with the unknown and I have been since a child (I blame ScoobyDoo!) So I started researching parapsychology and pretty much "ghost hunting" to most people... well, with that I felt I wasnt offering anything back to people so I decided to conduct public tours of these fabulous places and wonderful legends attached to them!
I visited the east coast 2 summers ago and I witnessed a couple states pimping local tourism with "ghostly tours"... so I decided to bring it back to Oklahoma...

Well, this being the Bible Belt, I knew it wouldnt be accepted with open arms.. so I incorporated a Historical element to what I had to offer... So, I now host and own Historically haunted Tours of OkC.

Here is what my RANT is about...

Last season we had a great time! So... KWTV 9 and Pizza hut has this contest called "Oklahomas best" or whatever... Apparently guests of my tours nominated the Tours as "Something else to do in OKC"... after being contacted and excited about the nomination.. the lady told me she wanted to go ahead and feature the tours... well, I was very excited about this, I mean free advertising for us! Which at this time we have done Zero!

So, the clock ticks by.. no word from them... still no word from them. My Tour partner decides to call this lady.. only to be told that my website is not "family friendly" enough for the contest! WHAT?

Okay, young children shouldnt be researching ghosts on the internet alone... I will give her that... but what!!!!!!!!!!

So, I made sure there were no bad words on the website and such... and she totally DITCHED US because our tours are not "family friendly"? I dont get it!
Our tours are for ages 12 and up... NOBODY should take a young child on a historical tour, they would be bored to death!
Last year we had MANY young kids on the tours and they had a blast! We even give candy filled goodie bags to our guests!

Talk about closed minded Media Filtering Stereotypical CRAP!

So, I read some of the previous winners.. and a couple years ago.. HOOTERS(c) Gets a "Best of" award!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOOTERS? Is this what Oklahoma City thinks is Entertainment? Yeah, Im really goingn to take my 2 girls there to eat so they can grow up and dress like 1980's areobic intructors while they serve food to men who are there to drink beer and look at "hooters girls"...

Yeah, we offer a "different" light on things.. but nothing Morbid or scarey.
We have never had a complaint either!
We even FEED our Guests!

What is WRONG with OKC and why is the Media so against what we are doing?
Its total Bull!!!!!!!!

We work hard doing historical research and talking with people to get information that people dont know about... we also walk around familiar areas in Bricktown and tell people what used to be there all the way back to the Land Run!

Karried
04-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I think it's a fine idea - what makes this world go around are different viewpoints and ideas... hey, if people want to pay to learn or be entertained that's their business, not the media's......

mranderson
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
There are times when I like filtering, and times I do not like it.

Here is what I mean. I come in contact with several women through Yahoo personals. Often, we will im for long periods, but I am trying to reduce the time. They filter like crazy and what it does at times is give me the wrong impression. I recently had contact with a woman who filtered from time to time. Then I met her in person. The day I met her, she filtered like she was interested in keeping the relationship alive and building it. She told me no the next day.

In a case like this, then I think filtering is unjustified. If it is a case where the realationship can possibly build, I have no problem. Or if it is known it is not to be taken seriously, then ok on occasion.

Some people can get mixed signals.

Spookytourchick
04-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Filtering not FLirting! lol

mranderson
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Filtering not FLirting! lol

OK. Sorry. Sometimes the fact I am dyslexic shows.

Spookytourchick
04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Actually, your story was more warming than mine ! Its okay!

Keith
04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
OK. Sorry. Sometimes the fact I am dyslexic shows.
It's ok, mranderson, I kind of enjoyed the story myself. Maybe you should stop filtering your flirting. LOL. No big deal. I'm gonna let the post stay. I just changed all your flirting to filtering...it changed your story a bit.

Spookytourchick
04-21-2005, 08:34 PM
hahah thats decent reading now! Thanks!