View Full Version : Piggly Wiggly Coming to Edmond

Jay
04-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Piggly Wiggly store planned for Edmond
By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

Eagle Crest Market at Memorial Road and Bryant Avenue in Edmond is being rebranded into a Piggly Wiggly store.

The 34,000-square-foot grocery store is owned by Green Country Food Markets of Tulsa but will be part of the company's growing Piggly Wiggly presence in Oklahoma.

"Piggly Wiggly is a name a lot of people remember from their childhood, so there's a challenge and a responsibility to live up to that name. Plus when you've got a pig character on your banner, you have the opportunity to have a lot of fun," General Manager Tom Cleveland said.

Piggly Wiggly is a name that's been around since 1916, when Clarence Saunders opened the first self-service grocery store in Memphis, Tenn.

Until that time, grocery shoppers placed orders with clerks who gathered the merchandise.

Saunder's Piggly Wiggly stores revolutionized the grocery business by offering self-service open shelves and shopping carts.

Piggly Wiggly soon became an iconic name across Southern states. Today, more than 600 Piggly Wiggly stores operate in 16 states, all individually owned as franchises. Corporate headquarters is in Dallas.

Tulsa-based Green Country purchased the Edmond store in March from Tom Shea. The company also bought stores from Shea in Harrah and Bristow at the same time.

The company now owns seven Piggly Wiggly stores and one Carnival store -- most in the Tulsa area. The store in Bristow will be a Food Outlet.

Construction of an eighth Piggly Wiggly is under way in Perkins, with opening projected for September.

"Piggly Wiggly represents the hometown grocery store, with quality meats, a full variety of grocery items and an emphasis on customer service," Cleveland said.

"Changes will take place throughout all departments," Cleveland said.

Boarshead Meats will be added. The bakery and deli will be reopened with breads, cookies and cakes baked daily. The store also will add a barbecue smoker, and fried chicken to its deli menu, Cleveland said.

For now, Green Country will maintain the same number of employees, a figure Cleveland declined to disclose. "But we anticipate the need to increase the staff in the future," he said.

Eagle Crest Market opened in August after taking over the lease from Snyder's IGA. The store has gone through several incarnations in the last few years.

Toni Weinmeister, marketing and public relations director for the Edmond Economic Development Authority, said she's not sure why grocery stores have had a hard time in the area.

"There's plenty of residential around there," she said.

A demographic study shows 37,000 households within five miles of the intersection.

Cleveland said Green Country hopes the Piggly Wiggly concept will bring stability to the neighborhood.

Cleveland acknowledged, however, that it's a tough day in the grocery market, with Wal-Mart Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets drawing an ever tighter noose around the majority of the market share in this and other states.

"We don't chase the competition. We're respectful of what they're doing, we just make sure to do it just a little better," he said.

Green Country is interested in more expansion in the Oklahoma grocery market, Cleveland said.
"We just need to catch our breath right now, we've got three stores to remodel and one under construction," he said.

http://www.pickwicklake.net/Pickwick_Shopping_Services/PigglyWiggly/PigFullColor.jpg

mranderson
04-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I wonder how many supermarkets they are interested in opening in the metro? I hope they open SW Oklahoma City. It could be in the former Price Mart location in Walnut Square.

By the way. A bit of Piggly Wiggly trivia. They have a museum dedicated to their founder in Memphis. It is in the home inwhich he lived.

Karried
04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
:omg:

I've died and gone to hell.

Piggly Wiggly in Edmond?

That is so embarassing. Piggly Wiggly?? Is that a real name of a company?

dirtrider73068
04-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes piggly wiggly is the real name of the company. They have piggly wiggly's all over texas. It is funny to see a piggly wiggly going in edmond, thought edmond was to high up on the scale for a place like piggly wiggly. I am surprised they are not putting one in norman. They are however are building a supercenter walmart in purcell.

Keith
04-20-2005, 08:55 PM
:omg:

I've died and gone to hell.

Piggly Wiggly in Edmond?

That is so embarassing. Piggly Wiggly?? Is that a real name of a company?
Yep, I remember when I was a grocery salesman many years ago, and Piggly Wiggly was the place to shop. Of course, that was before Wal-Mart got real big. I am also surprised that one is going to be put in Edmond.

metro
04-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually as the article states its just a rebranding of an existing store and supposively, Piggly Wiggly is supposed to be more "upscale" than say Albertsons, Homelands, etc etc. who cares, Edmond used to have the junkies Homeland on 2nd and Broadway up until about 2-3 years ago. The old wal-mart isnt exactly anything to brag about either, its one of those smaller stores from the early 90's

Karried
04-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I think it's the name of this place that gets me - Piggly Wiggly?

Is it a grocery store - why haven't I heard of it? I do recall hearing it in the past, but I thought it was a joke .... 'along the lines of 'jeff foxworthy = piggly wiggly jokes"

metro
04-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Its a fairly large brand, especially back east and south, nothing wrong with it except the name is cheesy, we used to have alot here in the metro 20+years ago, not that I would remember because i'm not much older than that, but I do know. If larger cities like Atlanta has them its not going to hurt Edmond

windowphobe
04-21-2005, 06:46 PM
We got along just fine with Humpty Dumpty for all those years.

Patrick
04-22-2005, 12:50 AM
We got along just fine with Humpty Dumpty for all those years.

LOL! I was just thinking that. Obviously, store names haven't been the greatest throught the yars, but don't let a store name deceive you. Piggly Wiggly is a fine store, from what I remember during my last visit toone in Texas.

Jay
04-25-2005, 12:53 AM
What is so sad about the grocery market in this city is that you used to have a variety of stores to shop.

When I was growing up my parents shopped at Buchanans, Homeland/Safeway, Humpty Dumpty (which later became Shop N Save then Cost Plus), McCartneys (which later became Pratts), Price Mart, Griders, and Skaggs/Jewel Osco/Albertsons.

Now the only stores that are near them are Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, a Walmart Supercenter and Albertsons.

The only place they shop now is Albertsons. They refuse to spend money at Wal-Mart unless they absolutely have no other alternative.

I can't blame them a bit because I prefer Albertsons and Super Target over Sprawlmart anyday.

rxis
04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
having a supercenter in purcell is really gonna hurt my family members business down there

renffahcs
04-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Yeah Piggly Wiggly. I think for many people who grew up in this reigon Piggly Wiggly brings back memories. FYI http://www.pigglywiggly.com/