View Full Version : Wal-Mart Greeters Will No Longer Greet at the Door

Bunty
02-08-2012, 01:07 AM
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/27/walmart-greeters-will-no-longer-greet-at-the-door/

BBatesokc
02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Does this mean there will no longer be a geriatric Nazi insisting on seeing your receipt as you leave? (I just tell them "no you may not" and keep going)

BBatesokc
02-08-2012, 07:11 AM
That's a shame though. In the stores that had seniors that truly loved being there it was fun to see them each visit and say hello. Same goes for the food samples people at Sam's. A few a really fun grandmother types. One ever brings photos of her grandkids and dogs to share with my wife (she, unlike me, makes friends everywhere she goes)

kevinpate
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
... (she, unlike me, makes friends everywhere she goes)

Maybe she smiles more and folks don't wonder as much if there's a hidden camera?
8^)

venture
02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Maybe she smiles more and folks don't wonder as much if there's a hidden camera?
8^)

LOL +1

Personality probably goes a long way.

Does this mean there will no longer be a geriatric Nazi insisting on seeing your receipt as you leave? (I just tell them "no you may not" and keep going)

Sounds like some suspiciously trying to sneak items out of the store they didn't pay for. Perhaps their security team needs to just call the local police and report shop lifting...since it is a counter shop lifter measure that is trying to be circumvented. Showing a receipt and validating a purchase takes all of 15 seconds.

Roadhawg
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I've rarely seen the greeters stop anybody to look at the receipt unless they appeared to be a shady character.

BBatesokc
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Shop at the MWC WalMart and they will ask all the time. Actually they tend to ask those people they feel will comply and rarely do I see the stereotypical thug being asked to show their receipt. I personally don't care how long it takes, I paid for the items and they have no legal basis to stop me for a receipt. They must have a policy not to push it, because they've never even replied other than to say "have a good day."

kevinpate
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Shop at the MWC WalMart and they will ask all the time. Actually they tend to ask those people they feel will comply and rarely do I see the stereotypical thug being asked to show their receipt. I personally don't care how long it takes, I paid for the items and they have no legal basis to stop me for a receipt. They must have a policy not to push it, because they've never even replied other than to say "have a good day."

Maybe they are just flirting with you after seeing you on tv or something.

Roadhawg
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe they are just flirting with you after seeing you on tv or something.

That must be it... his target audience LOL

oneforone
02-09-2012, 02:01 AM
I am willing to bet they changed policy because of a lawsuit. I am sure there were a few elderly people that tried to make an honest effort to question a shoplifter and got mowed over.

I noticed at Del City they have stationed younger loss prevention employees just inside the doors. They don't aggressively greet people because they are watching people exit. They will greet you with a simple good morning/afternoon/evening or thank you when you leave. The greeters are inside the store giving directions and putting stickers on return items. At night they just post a loss prevention associate.

If you think about it, it's a bad idea to put elderly people in a position where some idiot shoplifter will harm them. The grocery store I worked at in high school actively pursued shoplifters and would physically restrain them until police arrived. A couple of those incidents got pretty intense. One of the managers was almost stabbed. Another one had gun pulled on him but, the magazine fell out when the guy pointed it. The guy dropped the gun ran out in to traffic and almost got hit. They had a dozen police officers and the helicopter out looking for the guy. The eventually found him hiding in a dumpster in an office complex a block away.