View Full Version : AFC sinking into mediocrity?

OKCJapan
02-06-2012, 04:01 AM
From 1969 to 1981 the AFC(68-69 the AFL) pretty much owned the Super Bowl. Then came along Joe Montana, the 85 Bears, Redskins, Lawrence Taylor, and finally the Cowboys and they dominated the next 15 out of 16 Super Bowls.

During that stretch, I think everyone would agree that the AFC slipped into mediocrity. Why, I am sure there are several opinions. This is mine. By the early eighties, the Steel Curtian and the Evil Empire(Raiders) were aging and retiring. In 81 the NFL got a glimpse of the new high flying west coast passing attack of the 49ers.

AFC teams like the Dolphins and the Bronchos very well may have decided a high powered offense like the 49ers had was the key to winning super bowls thus in my opinion those teams left the defensive philosophy that was dominate in the 70's and focused on building teams around the talents of Elway and Marino. What they may have not realized is that the 49ers had built a dominating defense to go along with their offense. And so, for at least a dozen years, the AFC teams were blown out at the Super Bowl. By the mid 90's I think many of the teams of the AFC came to grips with reality that defense wins championships. From that point. There was a shift in philosophy and The AFC returned to prominence winning the 8 out of 11 Super Bowls beginning with number XXXII.

However, they have dropped the last three. While they all were decided in the fourth quarter, the Colts, Steelers, and this year's Patriots defensive performances were less dominant than their previous ones.

If you look at the AFC defensive stars, over the past 10 or 12 years, many have retired like Bruschi, or are on the verge of retirement like Ray Lewis.
So, is this the beginning of the AFC slipping back into mediocrity? I hope not! What do you think.