View Full Version : Bagpiper Bungle

Karried
04-19-2005, 10:19 AM
:stars: First I am so glad that the elderly bagpiper is not hurt. But, did you see him fall down the stairs leading the procession out of the assembly? - ohh, he must feel so embarassed. I feel so badly for him. Adding insult to injury he was wearing a kilt/skirt.... even Kevin Ogle said "Bless his Heart" ....

So, far the Memorial has been very touching but now I'm having to watch the white smoke for the new Pope - great, they are premepting our anniversary coverage... couldn't they wait a day?

Patrick
04-21-2005, 11:59 PM
:stars: First I am so glad that the elderly bagpiper is not hurt. But, did you see him fall down the stairs leading the procession out of the assembly? - ohh, he must feel so embarassed. I feel so badly for him. Adding insult to injury he was wearing a kilt/skirt.... even Kevin Ogle said "Bless his Heart" ....

So, far the Memorial has been very touching but now I'm having to watch the white smoke for the new Pope - great, they are premepting our anniversary coverage... couldn't they wait a day?

You sound like me! I guess internationally the pope is more important, but it really occurred at the wrong time. We got little media coverage because of it.

ErnieBall
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
CNN has been running an excellent special hosted by Aaron Brown about the OKC bombing. It was rough watching the anniversary-day coverage, but this special had me crying like a baby several times.

I felt sorry for the bagpiper, especially considering he would have been on news stations around the country. I'm glad he was okay. Whose idea was it to have the bagpipers play anyway? It wasn't a bad idea, but they sounded pretty awful, I think.

Karried
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
ErnieBall, I agree!! Why have this poor little guy carry down a huge bagpipe down the stairs? I bet he felt so mortified but I am glad he is okay and continued to play. I wish they would have used something a little less cumbersome and more pleasing to the ear. Well, it's always easy to play Monday morning Quarterback I guess.....but it was a touching memorial, I was choked up through most of it as well. That was what is really important, honoring the victims and their families.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:38 AM
CNN has been running an excellent special hosted by Aaron Brown about the OKC bombing. It was rough watching the anniversary-day coverage, but this special had me crying like a baby several times.

I felt sorry for the bagpiper, especially considering he would have been on news stations around the country. I'm glad he was okay. Whose idea was it to have the bagpipers play anyway? It wasn't a bad idea, but they sounded pretty awful, I think.

Seems like bag pipes have been traditionally used in ceremonies remembering the bombing ever since the days after the bombing in 1995. Not sure what the significance is behind it other than a simple tradition that was started.

ErnieBall
04-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Seems like bag pipes have been traditionally used in ceremonies remembering the bombing ever since the days after the bombing in 1995. Not sure what the significance is behind it other than a simple tradition that was started.

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that, but that makes more sense as to why they had the bagpipers this time. I think it's fairly common to have a bagpiper play Amazing Grace at memorials, but I'm not so sure about an entire bagpipe band.