View Full Version : Dollhouse Lounge & Burlesque

Pages : [1] 2

UnFrSaKn
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
New Burlesque Club Opens In Oklahoma City (http://www.news9.com/story/16621481/new-burlesque-club-opens-in-oklahoma-city)

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 10:54 PM CST Updated: Jan 27, 2012 10:54 PM CST
By Havonnah Johnson, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -

A new burlesque business opens in Bricktown, but some are questioning its form of entertainment.

The owners call it a mixture of art and entertainment. From the trapeze to the slips to the live band your eyes will be glued to the entertainment at the Dollhouse.

http://www.dollhouseokc.com/

kevinpate
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Not much of an info site for a business that opened last night. Never will understand folk who think web presence means just slap any old thing up for the time being.

Drake
01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I saw this on News9 last night. First I had heard of it.

Seems like a fresh concept for OKC, but could they have been any quieter about opening? I think with some effort they could generated some pretty big buzz about it.

Their one page website does not even list an address.

Unless they did this by design to get their feet under them, I don't get it. The majority of these bars & restaurants throw all their money into the place and and then open doors and hope people will come.

Especially with clubs, you have to create a buzz and make it seem like it's the place to be. Vegas built a new identity by doing this with their nightclubs

dankrutka
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Interesting. Where will this be located?

Teo9969
01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting. Where will this be located?

Not sure, but "Where will this be located?" should be modified to "Where *is* this located?"...They've already been open one night.

Teo9969
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
210 E Sheridan Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

according to http://www.yellowpages.com/oklahoma-city-ok/mip/doll-house-burlesque-lounge-468050856

I also called the number and it redirected me to a cell phone which no one answered. No information was given about the business either.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm already questioning the management behind this establishment. Their practices do not bode well for the viability of the business.

Pete
01-28-2012, 01:22 PM
This is the former Halo/Rane space just east of Lit and west of the parking garage.

UnFrSaKn
01-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lit&hl=en&ll=35.466444,-97.508448&spn=0.000913,0.001422&sll=35.465301,-97.507267&sspn=0.010329,0.022745&hq=lit&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=35.466444,-97.508448&panoid=8SlAVN_OX8LCC5abbOJtEA&cbp=12,210.13,,0,1.27)

onthestrip
01-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Seems like a fresh concept for OKC, but could they have been any quieter about opening? I think with some effort they could generated some pretty big buzz about it.

Unless they did this by design to get their feet under them, I don't get it. The majority of these bars & restaurants throw all their money into the place and and then open doors and hope people will come.

Especially with clubs, you have to create a buzz and make it seem like it's the place to be. Vegas built a new identity by doing this with their nightclubs

Some people, by design, will not advertise at first or do very little promotion early on trying to create some mystique about the place. Or something like that

BDK
01-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Some people, by design, will not advertise at first or do very little promotion early on trying to create some mystique about the place. Or something like that

It seems from the news segment that they've put a lot of work into the project, which also leads me to believe the lack of advertising is calculated at this point. It looks like a small club, so I doubt they'll have issues filling the place at the outset.

UnFrSaKn
01-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Totally forgot the link to the News 9 article. Sorry, it's fixed. Has a video.

Steve
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
It's a "burlesque club" being launched by the operators of RokBar. Police are watching... adult entertainment is not allowed in Bricktown.

Steve
01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
The following post was made by a regular reader of OKC Central:
"As a burlesque dancer myself, I HIGHLY doubt this is going to actually be burlesque. It’s more than likely going to be a bunch of slutty girls with low self esteem pretending to be The ***** Cat Dolls. We were asked to perform at RokBar once, but when we told them we get down to panties and pasties and we have a variety of styles and body types, they weren’t interested anyone. If you want to see a real burlesque show, follow 7 Deadly Sins Revue on Facebook. The photo they are using for this post is actually one of OUR girls not something from this new club."

UnFrSaKn
01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I can see police busting in unexpectedly like the prohibition days and pushing everyone out.

fromdust
01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
i was just told from a friend that its $20 at the door.

BDK
01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I always get irritated when people make unwarranted assumptions and cast aspersions. Maybe that poster should reserve judgment until after he or she sees the entertainment. It might actually be that 7 Deadly Sins Revue is the more authentic and inclusive show, but that post just comes across as petty. I would guess that the RokBar owners were more concerned about crossing a line regarding the state of undress, rather than the appearances of the performers. I think new ideas in Bricktown are a great thing, as most of the bars in Bricktown are terrible. I hope you don't interpret this as negativity towards you Steve; I appreciate that you are giving voice to the varying viewpoints regarding this new business. I saw their (7 Deadly Sins) show when they were performing at the Prohibition Room and thought it was fantastic by the way.

Drake
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
If you watch the News9 video they appear to be actually burlesque with all shapes & sizes. Yeah it does come off being quite petty..

I find it amusing that kind of thing is highly questionble, but BT seems to welcome the 18-24 year crowd that spills out at 1:30 am.

BT has very little for adults after 10:30. This is where this town falls way short of other metro areas. IMO

Spartan
01-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Sounds like News9 has drummed up a controversy.

Pete
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
BT seems to welcome the 18-24 year crowd that spills out at 1:30 am

Were you aware that the Purple Martini has particular nights where you must be over 25 to enter?

It seems they in particular are trying to cultivate a slightly older crowd.

I simply can't believe that out of the dozens of bars in Bricktown there aren't some choices for those over 25.

Drake
01-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Me & the wife went down to BT the night OU played in the Insight Bowl. Bolero closed on us at halftime. We walked across to Whiskey Chicks for convience. They stayed open until the end of the game, but started cleanup & last call before the game was over.

This is on a Friday night.

I'm not saying that aren't any options, but limited. But maybe the market just doesn't dictate it.

I also got no problems with the night clubs. We go. Just doesn't seem like a place the Doll House would cause any more problems than the dance clubs

dankrutka
01-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Me & the wife went down to BT the night OU played in the Insight Bowl. Boloero closed on us at halftime. We walked across to Whiskey Chicks for convience. They stayed open until the end of the game, but started cleanup & last call before the game was over.

I'm not saying that aren't any options, but limited. But maybe the market just doesn't dictate it.

I also got no problems with the night clubs. We go. Just doesn't seem like a place the Doll House would cause any more problems than the dance clubs

How hard did you look? Drinkz, Brix, Tapwerks, Mickey Mantle's, JJ's, Captain Norm's, Bourbon Street (at the bar or canal), and the Purple Martini would all be reasonable options for someone that's not looking to go clubbing.

Maker's was also a great option. It's a shame they didn't pay their taxes.

Drake
01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
How hard did you look? Drinkz, Brix, Tapwerks, Mickey Mantle's, JJ's, Captain Norm's, Bourbon Street (at the bar or canal), and the Purple Martini would all be reasonable options for someone that's not looking to go clubbing.

Ok guys. I have been in OKC my whole life, I have probably been every establishment in BT. I know what's out there.

My main point was I was glad to see a place in BT that might have some energy AND be geared towards the plus 25 crowd. Paralogia was a good place when it was open. All the places you mentioned are just bars. Other cities seem to have more options where you can sit & have a drink, but also have a dance floor for the ladies. That is all I am saying

I just find it amusing that is this place that catches the attention of some.

I don't think the crowd the Doll House is targeting is going to cause the issues that City Walk, Rok Bar etc., do on a weekend night.

OKCRT
01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Nothing wrong with showing a little skin. It's time for OKC to grow up and also time for the cops to stop acting like this is Mayberry! It's Hip time!

Steve
01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Nothing wrong with showing a little skin. It's time for OKC to grow up and also time for the cops to stop acting like this is Mayberry! It's Hip time!
But is next to the ballpark, where families go to see games, the right location for this?

metro
01-28-2012, 09:39 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they did it to get approved under the radar, versus if they made it a big deal it probably never would have got approved and off the ground. Also, if I remember correctly, it seems like someone brought this up on here months back.

metro
01-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Didn't Drinks go out of biz?

metro
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
But is next to the ballpark, where families go to see games, the right location for this?

It's not like baseball games are at 10:00 at night, and the entertainment is indoors.

Doug Loudenback
01-28-2012, 10:07 PM

It's not like baseball games are at 10:00 at night, and the entertainment is indoors.
Metro, I concur. :iagree: There is a place for this kind of adult entertainment in Bricktown, especially late-night. It's not like this place is a Valley Brook strip-joint. Steve is possibly showing some conservative underpinnings about this matter, I think.

Fantastic
01-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Didn't Drinks go out of biz?

I don't think so... unless it happened in the last couple of weeks.

Steve
01-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Metro, I concur. :iagree: There is a place for this kind of adult entertainment in Bricktown, especially late-night. It's not like this place is a Valley Brook strip-joint. Steve is possibly showing some conservative underpinnings about this matter, I think.

Just aware of how RokBar operates. There's quite the argument to be made that real burlesque is a pretty cool art form. We'll see how things progress.

HOT ROD
01-28-2012, 10:39 PM
the most vibrant of cities have venues that cator to all ages of people, not everything needs to be family oriented.

Particularly when children are supposed to be in bed anyway - I think OKC can handle a bit of Adult nightlife as long as it is tastefully done, restricted admission (and operation hours) and the city doesn't restrict one form for another. Let the market decide whether the venues remain open and not the ultra-conservatives and 'thumpers'.

It's ok - Grow up OKC!

Steve
01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
RokBar. That's all I've got to say.

ljbab728
01-28-2012, 11:03 PM
I have to wonder what the "French Hors D'oeuvres" are going to be that they are advertising. That sounds intriguing. Snails, maybe? And what makes the VIP section, sensational?

MikeOKC
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Okay, someone help me out here. I keep hearing "RokBar" in a not so great way. Bottom line question: What's the crowd? I know nothing about the place.

rcjunkie
01-29-2012, 04:06 AM
I have to wonder what the "French Hors D'oeuvres" are going to be that they are advertising. That sounds intriguing. Snails, maybe? And what makes the VIP section, sensational?

Leather sofa with 2 for 1 lap dances.

BoulderSooner
01-29-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they did it to get approved under the radar, versus if they made it a big deal it probably never would have got approved and off the ground. Also, if I remember correctly, it seems like someone brought this up on here months back.

Doubt they had anything to get "approved"

brownb01
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow...some of you folks live under rocks.

Come on now...nothing in Brickown for folks over 25? Really? Gezzz...live a little and have some fun!! Lots of stuff for the over 25 crowd!

As far as Baby Dolls...I went last night. It could turn out to be a cool place...it needs some work in several fronts. As far being too "adult"...you folks know the girls are wearing 40's and 50's lingerie...right!? Heck...the girls walking down the street or going to a ballgame...have on less clothes.

I sure wish this city could step out of its little girl outfits and grow up!!

Drake
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow...some of you folks live under rocks.

Come on now...nothing in Brickown for folks over 25? Really? Gezzz...live a little and have some fun!! Lots of stuff for the over 25 crowd!As far as Baby Dolls...I went last night. It could turn out to be a cool place...it needs some work in several fronts. As far being too "adult"...you folks know the girls are wearing 40's and 50's lingerie...right!? Heck...the girls walking down the street or going to a ballgame...have on less clothes.

I sure wish this city could step out of its little girl outfits and grow up!!

Reading comphrension can be good thing. Its no wonder half these threads turn into squabbles.

We also went last night. I agree that place has good potential but does need a few kinks worked out, but that is to be expected for a new place.

Nothing "dirty" about the place at all. As far as being next to the ball park, you can't see anything form the street other than the lobby. They were enforcing a dress code and $20 cover to get in. We got there a little later. Their singer did one song, overcoming some mic issues. Small jazz band was playing when we got there. After about 11:30 or so, they had a house DJ playing dance music, in between the girls performances. A good crowd overall.

Like the previous poster said, the dancers wear more than a lot of the girls at the dance clubs.

We enjoyed and will go back.

coldbeer
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Drinkz has not gone out of business. It is owned and operated by the same owner since it opened 7 years ago. Drinkz has a great live music scene on the weekends and has a 25 + young perofessional crowd. We were there This last sat nite they had a rockin band were full people and had a blast!

RoadRunner
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Went there last night and agree, needs a few kinks worked out (replace them flimsy bar stools) but enjoyed the show. My wife and daughter (her idea to go) also enjoyed it. While it might not be "real" Burlesque i enjoyed the real signing much better than lip syncing that some others do. The Jazz band that played between preformances was very good, would like to see them incorperated with a dance number or two. Individually, the costumes were modest, the dancers moves were no more provocative that cheerleader routines and the music you can hear on the radio. Put it all together it made for sexy entertainment that i would not call degenerate as some would have you believe. Early in the evening the women out numbered the men and nobody appeared to be turned into lustful perverts.

I never took my daughter to bars when she was a child, but i did not shield her from the real world either. If the Mayor wants to keep BT family friendly why not remove all the bars, you would be left with a few restaurants, a canal, a place to buy fishing rods and guns and few statues. Why did they put the playground and water splash so close to BT's two blind entry streets? This part of the world is so hung up with nudity and "naughty" things, it seems it could make for an unhealthy environment. Or are we number one in teen pregnantcies and female incarceration because the preachers cannot get through to our girls.

Pete
01-29-2012, 07:09 PM
The families all clear out of Bricktown by 10PM at the latest, which is when the big bars and clubs are just getting started.

Very easy for both to co-exist, especially since there are already tight restrictions on anything too risque.

L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles is a great example of how to blend these two interests... They have theaters, restaurants and museums but also plenty of top-flight nightlife. Seems to work out very well.

We've had this discussion before but not everything in OKC has to be completely family-oriented. Already about 99% of the town is exclusively for that purpose... Blending that with nightlife or (gasp!) even having an area or two that aren't kid-friendly is necessary if you want to keep/attract young, creative adults.

metro
01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
The families all clear out of Bricktown by 10PM at the latest, which is when the big bars and clubs are just getting started.

Very easy for both to co-exist, especially since there are already tight restrictions on anything too risque.

L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles is a great example of how to blend these two interests... They have theaters, restaurants and museums but also plenty of top-flight nightlife. Seems to work out very well.

We've had this discussion before but not everything in OKC has to be completely family-oriented. Already about 99% of the town is exclusively for that purpose... Blending that with nightlife or (gasp!) even having an area or two that aren't kid-friendly is necessary if you want to keep/attract young, creative adults.
I agree as a whole, but I can say there were tons of young kids with their parents out late last night in Btown, later than my wife and I stayed out. We asked why so many kids( as there were tons at Deep Deuce Grill, Wedge, and everywhere in Btown). We were told Greyson Chance had a concert. So this tells me as a whole, it is probably more event specific, but probably happens more than we realize.

Pete
01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I would say if people are out with their kids late at night in a downtown entertainment district they can expect to run into the adult bar crowd; it's entirely easy to avoid if they so choose.

I just wouldn't want to see concepts like the Dollhouse curtailed out of some misguided attempt to make Bricktown completely family-oriented -- even late at night -- when every bit of the rest of OKC already fits that description.

metro
01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Agreed, and well said Pete. Steve will have to stay in Edmond after 9pm. LOL

metro
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Very well said Sid, not to mention Coyote Ugly leaves their front door open, so kids can easily see the girls dancing on the bar; and Heaven forbid we mention the Twin Peaks, Bikini's or Hooters out in suburbia.

onthestrip
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Me & the wife went down to BT the night OU played in the Insight Bowl. Bolero closed on us at halftime. We walked across to Whiskey Chicks for convience. They stayed open until the end of the game, but started cleanup & last call before the game was over.

Yes, Bolero has no problem closing down early. Was there last summer on a perfect night because it has one of the best patios in BT. We were pretty much handed our check at 11:30 because they were closing. We were just drinking, could they not just keep the bar open? It is already separated from the restaurant. Whatever the case, Ive been hesitant to go back because of that. Foolish for a bar on the canal to operate that way

Doug Loudenback
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh, come on, guys and gals, forget about the kids ... WHAT ABOUT THE ADULTS who need protection by government, as well. Ha ha ... I am reminded of a time when I was in the 5th grade in Lawton attending Emerson Grade School and went into a small mom and pops small grocery nearby and took a peek (actually, more than one) at the girlie mags on the magazine rack ... those early glances of fishnet stockings have completely ruined, even doomed, me, since that time. Please pray for me.

MDot
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh, come on, guys and gals, forget about the kids ... WHAT ABOUT THE ADULTS who need protection by government, as well. Ha ha ... I am reminded of a time when I was in the 5th grade in Lawton attending Emerson Grade School and went into a small mom and pops small grocery nearby and took a peek (actually, more than one) at the girlie mags on the magazine rack ... those early glances of fishnet stockings have completely ruined, even doomed, me, since that time. Please pray for me.

Prayers have been sent your way Doug. Ha

Doug Loudenback
02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Prayers have been sent your way Doug. Ha
Thank you, bro, I feel better already.

UnFrSaKn
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
That was the final puzzle piece we needed Doug. It's all clear now.

Doug Loudenback
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
And how did you live a productive life. How did you manage??? :tiphat:
Sadly, the answer is, I didn't. As I said, I've been doomed since the 5th grade, and that would be since 1953-1954. Ever since, I've since been engaged in a nightmarish and constant moral struggle between fishnet and the somewhat more modest Islamic hijab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab) -- sometimes I awake from sleep in a cold sweat even though the room temperature is only 69 degrees as the debate rages on within my inner self within my dreams. But, evidently, my problem is that fishnet spun its insidious and demonic web (as only fishnet can do) upon my brain during that young time of my life and has apparently now got an insurmountable lead between the waking choices in my psyche, probably beyond the capacity to change. That is why I said that, "I am doomed." And, yes, UnFrSaKn, the final piece of the puzzle has now been added. But, perhaps if I can garner the prayers of true believers (e.g., Sally Kern), I may yet have a chance of redemption. But probably not.

But, for those of you males who are not yet consumed with the insidious malady of preferring fishnet to hijab, I tell you that there is still hope for you, my brothers, and I wish you well in your journey. As for you women who prefer fishnet to hijab, you are sadly, I think, like me, beyond the pale. Well, that probably goes too far ...

Pete
02-06-2012, 09:53 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-14294-va-va-voom.html

Bellaboo
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Doug my friend - You need to pray for yourself, I find that much more effective in the Lords eye.

Doug Loudenback
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh.

Bellaboo
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Doug my friend - You need to pray for yourself, I find that much more effective in the Lords eye.

Not to derail here, but that quote came from a priest after 911.....to Rudy G. He'd asked the priest to pray for him and that was the priests response.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Sadly, the answer is, I didn't. As I said, I've been doomed since the 5th grade, and that would be since 1953-1954. Ever since, I've since been engaged in a nightmarish and constant moral struggle between fishnet and the somewhat more modest Islamic hijab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab) -- sometimes I awake from sleep in a cold sweat even though the room temperature is only 69 degrees as the debate rages on within my inner self within my dreams. But, evidently, my problem is that fishnet spun its insidious and demonic web (as only fishnet can do) upon my brain during that young time of my life and has apparently now got an insurmountable lead between the waking choices in my psyche, probably beyond the capacity to change. That is why I said that, "I am doomed." And, yes, UnFrSaKn, the final piece of the puzzle has now been added. But, perhaps if I can garner the prayers of true believers (e.g., Sally Kern), I may yet have a chance of redemption. But probably not.

But, for those of you males who are not yet consumed with the insidious malady of preferring fishnet to hijab, I tell you that there is still hope for you, my brothers, and I wish you well in your journey. As for you women who prefer fishnet to hijab, you are sadly, I think, like me, beyond the pale. Well, that probably goes too far ...

Thanks to the true pioneers of smut like yourself, all of us children of the 70's and 80's thank you for the caches of nudie books that invariably each of us had somewhere in the woods nearby our houses.

Doug Loudenback
02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Not a problem.

Skyline
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Can we get back to thread topic please?

I think the Doll house is a good addition to Okc and to Bricktown, and another step into Big League City status.

rcjunkie
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Can we get back to thread topic please?

I think the Doll house is a good addition to Okc and to Bricktown, and another step into Big League City status.

So you think it takes strippers to be a "Big League City". WOW

Steve
02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Um, OK.