View Full Version : Oklahoma Water Rights

ljbab728
01-26-2012, 11:17 PM
It sounds like we might be inching towards a possible resolution of this long contentious issue.

http://newsok.com/tribes-drop-claim-to-existing-permits-in-oklahoma-water-rights-case/article/3643816

HewenttoJared
01-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Newsok needs to fix their iPad interface. I think water rights issues will go away in about 500 years. Until then I would never think of it as settled.

ljbab728
01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Newsok needs to fix their iPad interface. I think water rights issues will go away in about 500 years. Until then I would never think of it as settled.

I don't think anything or anyone implies this will settle all water rights issues. I was referring to the specifics in the lawsuit.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I know that this is only marginally related to the topic, but I just got back from running an errand and drove by a fire hydrant that was wide open and allowing untold gallons of this precious natural resource to run down the storm drains. (It was one block north of Hefner on Stratford).

I know that it is occasionally necessary to drain the system for various reasons, but couldn't a tanker truck--with a hose--be lined up to capture the water and transport it to areas where it could be used effectively? Like watering a corporate lawn somewhere?

Midtowner
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
I know that this is only marginally related to the topic, but I just got back from running an errand and drove by a fire hydrant that was wide open and allowing untold gallons of this precious natural resource to run down the storm drains. (It was one block north of Hefner on Stratford).

I know that it is occasionally necessary to drain the system for various reasons, but couldn't a tanker truck--with a hose--be lined up to capture the water and transport it to areas where it could be used effectively? Like watering a corporate lawn somewhere?

That definitely wouldn't be worth the cost.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Maybe not right now . . .
But wait until the supply/demand scales reach the critical tilting point.

(BTW: I was half-joking. I almost added: . . . and truck the water back to Sardis or Canton Lakes.)

Midtowner
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe not right now . . .
But wait until the supply/demand scales reach the critical tilting point.

(BTW: I was half-joking. I almost added: . . . and truck the water back to Sardis or Canton Lakes.)

As you have been told a million times, yes, this is a big deal in Phoenix, L.A., SLC and a lot of other places. Not OKC though. We have an extensive reservoir system. We have a pipeline about to come online which is going to be a huge addition to our already comfortable capacity. We have expansions of our present aquifers planned for the near and distant future. Our state has enough water for the foreseeable future. Our forefathers had great foresight in constructing the vast array of reservoirs we now have.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
A million times . . ? Really? =)
Perhaps that estimate is off by approximately the same amount as the apparent value you place on water. =)

I geeeve . . . I geeeve . . . por favor . . . no mas fuego . . .

ljbab728
02-02-2012, 11:30 PM
The governor weighs in. I have a feeling this will have zero effect, however.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-governor-asks-chickasaw-choctaw-nations-to-dismiss-water-lawsuit/article/3645707

ljbab728
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
An interesting development in the case.

http://newsok.com/u.s.-justice-department-removes-state-water-case-from-oklahoma-supreme-court/article/3657169

Larry OKC
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
As you have been told a million times, yes, this is a big deal in Phoenix, L.A., SLC and a lot of other places. Not OKC though. We have an extensive reservoir system. We have a pipeline about to come online which is going to be a huge addition to our already comfortable capacity. We have expansions of our present aquifers planned for the near and distant future. Our state has enough water for the foreseeable future. Our forefathers had great foresight in constructing the vast array of reservoirs we now have.
Which pipeline is that?

ljbab728
04-02-2012, 10:40 PM
It looks like the Supreme Court and the Justice Department are going to get involved.

http://newsok.com/supreme-court-asks-justice-department-to-analyze-oklahoma-water-case/article/3662916

Dubya61
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I watched the first 20 minutes of the Infomercial: The United State of OklaH2Oma that KOCO aired (paid for by the Chickasaw and Chocaw tribes) Saturday night and will air again this weekend (Sunday morning, I think). I became too angry to finish -- and I really did want to educate myself more on the pending water rights dispute that the Chickasaw and Choctaw Tribes have against the state of Oklahoma. What a finely crafted piece of propaganda that was. I was really hoping to become more educated, not brainwashed. What a shame the KOCO (continues to) advertise(d) this program as something that Oklahomans needed to see in order to learn the issues. Now I want to see the opposing point of view. I doubt that exists. I think the problem with this whole issue is that the tribes view themselves as a sovereign nation, and expect to be treated as such. They have boundaries, at least as far as the signs on the highway tell me. The tribes issue their own license plates. I can only imagine what revenues the state and counties are missing out (without reducing their obligations) by allowing the tribes to issue their own plates. So, if the tribes are sovereign nations, why are they even dealing with the state, then? Would the country of Japan negotiate any treaty with the state of Oklahoma? The decision to call them a sovereign nation in the '70s was a poorly considered decision. The members of the tribes cannot be citizens of both the "sovereign ___________ (fill in the blank with a tribe name) nation" AND the United States of America. All of the people "interviewed" or contributing to the tribal water rights infomercial sure got me to wondering just where their loyalties are. Do the tribes imagine that they can get by as a sovereign nation? With all the talk about how Texas is considering seceding from the union, NPR did a "news" piece about how ridiculous the whole concept was considering all of what Texas would lose from the U.S. government. The tribes need to take a look at that picture and decide just how well they would fare as a real-no-kidding sovereign nation. Sure, it's tempting. Everybody who's truly happy with the government in D.C. raise your hands. Bueller? Bueller? Even you, cricket? Not going to raise a contented ... um ... hand? Isn't it about time to either grant the tribes their wish and let them be a sovereign nation or else not, and figure out what to call the tribes other than sovereign nations that are parties to (agreed, broken) treaties that clearly are so out of whack from reality that even a troop of simian lawyers high on LSD couldn't wrap their gourds around.