View Full Version : The new Pope

mranderson
04-18-2005, 05:43 AM
I know most of us, me included are not Catholic, however, a lot of us take an interest in the Pope. Again, me included. So...

What would you like the new Pope to be like? Should he be from a "third world" country, or even American? And why on both questions. Plus, if you were elected Pope, what would your policies be, and what would you choose for your name?

mranderson
04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I will answer my own question.

I want the Pope to be an American. He should be one that favors birth control, but is against abortion, and be more condusive of modern problems. I do not believe there should be female priests, but I do think priests should marry.

I would choose Pope Jude.

ErnieBall
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
There will not be an American pope anytime soon (next five to ten popes) because there just aren't that many Catholics in the U.S. and the church isn't growing here. Plus, American catholics are far more liberal than their international bretheren, so it's less likely an American would be acceptable to lead the world church. Additionally, very few of the cardinals eligible to vote are from north america, and that won't change.

I have no personal interest in who becomes the next pope. I think the church would be best serve by someone less conservative on issues with which the church is so dramatically out of step with modern society, such as birth control. I also think that a charismatic leader would help the church's image, although coupling that with ultra-conservative ideology won't do much good. I think the election of someone like Ratzinger could spell disaster for the church in north america. Someone less charismatic and much more conservative than JPII would be devastating to church attendance and priest recruiting efforts in the U.S., which is desparate for both.