View Full Version : Fountains in Oklahoma City

rondvu
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Years ago when working downtown there seemed to be fountains on most every corner. There was even an article in the Downtown Now newspaper commenting on how many were in the metro area, comparing OKC to Kansas City fountains. Fast forward 30 yrs they are just about gone. I remember the one at the Liberty Bank drive in as well as the Fidelity bank and their drive in. Even one inside the Century Center. First Christian had the small one on the corner as well as the larger one to it's North. My father told me the fountain in front of the old library wound up at Memorial Park Cemetery in Edmond then later disappeared. Can anyone recall any more fountains or water features that were in and around OKC?

Pete
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Several of the downtown water features are now gone or slated to be removed:

Fidelity -- now BOK -- turned their iconic fountain into a dry sculpture.
Kerr Park will probably lose all it's fountains in the renovation
Large fountain in front of City Hall to be demolished as part of new park plan

And I'm not sure but wasn't there a fountain in front of the old Kerr McGee Tower that was first turned off years ago and now demolished as a part of the Sandridge renovations?

On the plus side, the Myriad Gardens have gained several water features and there will be plenty on the grounds at Devon as well as the Colcord. Also, not only the canal itself but several water features associated with it.

Oil Capital
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I always loved the big one at Kerr-McGee.

poe
01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this fits here, but I love all the water features at the zoo.

Oil Capital
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Several of the downtown water features are now gone or slated to be removed:

And I'm not sure but wasn't there a fountain in front of the old Kerr McGee Tower that was first turned off years ago and now demolished as a part of the Sandridge renovations?

Yes. It was a beautiful curved fountain.

Pete
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Oil Capital, thought so.

In fact, I found an old thread on the fountain from 2006. Posters at the time were trying to get KerrMac to save it but they ended up turning it into a planter. Not long after, the whole company was purchased:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6528&page=1

Tritone
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
There was a simple fountain in Memorial Park (34th -36th and Classen - Western) when I was a kid. Still there?

rcjunkie
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I like the fountains on the E. side of City Hall. I understand this area is going to be renovated soon and I think they plan on removing these fountains, what a shame.

Urban Pioneer
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
It's not a done deal yet... They are "protected" by the historical designation although the city has made application to the DDRC to have them removed.

Pete
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
There was a simple fountain in Memorial Park (34th -36th and Classen - Western) when I was a kid. Still there?

It's still there but I don't know if it's operational on a regular basis.

poe
01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
I also love park fountains. Are there many operational park fountains in OKC these days?

Urban Pioneer
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
It's still there but I don't know if it's operational on a regular basis.

The last few your it has been consistently on during warmer months annually. When I first moved here, it was is disrepair and rarely operated. the Parks Department has done a good job keeping it on.

oneforone
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
I think vandalism is the main reason people quit using them. I know they use to have one at Baptist Medical Center on the Drive between the hospital and the physicians buildings and parking garage. They took it out because some idiot would come along and dump a bottle of tide in it causing thousand of dollars in damage. The pumps and water jets would have to be rebuilt and replaced.

Pete
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
They are big maintenance headaches, that's for sure.

And expensive to operate due to electricity and the constant need to replace water that rapidly evaporates due to continuous aeration.

Prunepicker
01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
My father told me the fountain in front of the old library wound up at
Memorial Park Cemetery in Edmond then later disappeared.
How about the one at Memorial Park on N. Classen? That was a nice
fountain. 3 tiers. I came close to sticking a date's head in it one
night. Ended up sticking my friends head in it for setting me up with
her. The date was impressed and we got along fine afterwards.

Memories...

metro
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
How about the one at Memorial Park on N. Classen? That was a nice
fountain. 3 tiers. I came close to sticking a date's head in it one
night. Ended up sticking my friends head in it for setting me up with
her. The date was impressed and we got along fine afterwards.

Memories...

What do you mean was.....it's still there. And UP is right, it is still functional.

Prunepicker
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
What do you mean was... it's still there. And UP is right, it is still functional.
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. Is this thread for fountains that have
been dismantled?

metro
02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Prune you said it was a nice fountain, thus implying it was in the past...

Prunepicker
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Prune you said it was a nice fountain, thus implying it was in the past...
Yes, I shud hav proffed red my perst beter.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

ljbab728
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
To paraphrase a situation concerning a past president, I guess that depends on what your definition of "was" was.