View Full Version : Oscar Nominations

Richard at Remax
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/

Drive and Shame got the shaft if you ask me.

Pete
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Forgot that was today -- thanks for posting.

The Artist is going to clean up as Hollywood loves it.

Richard at Remax
01-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Yeah I figured no one has a shot against the Artist but Moneyball and War Horse? Sheesh

Pete
01-24-2012, 08:31 AM
I really don't like that they've expanded Best Picture to 10, as it really cheapens the category.

Roadhawg
01-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I really don't like that they've expanded Best Picture to 10, as it really cheapens the category.

Especially since there aren't 10 movies that are worth it during the year.

HewenttoJared
01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
We always do the Oscar showcase thing at AMC. This will be a slow, sad year.

Jersey Boss
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Forgot that was today -- thanks for posting.

The Artist is going to clean up as Hollywood loves it.

It's to bad most around here do not have much of a chance to see it. Last weekend it was showing only @ 10:00 pm, at only one theatre in NW OKC. That is the only showing for the entire metro area.

Pete
01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
With all these nominations, it will certainly get wider distribution.

MikeOKC
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Loved Midnight in Paris and was glad to see it get a Best Picture nod and several others.

poe
01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Viola Davis.

SoonerDave
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Me, too, Poe. I cannot think of any other media production regarding the general civil rights movement that impacted me any more than "The Help," possibly because it was such a tale of great dignity about people who were treated with such abject indignity. Its one of the most compelling movies I've ever seen.

FritterGirl
01-24-2012, 12:27 PM
The OKC Museum of Art often tries to bring in Oscar-nominated films, and some of the big ones will get re-circulated as buzz grows. I still have quite a bit of catching up this year if I want to see the full batch of "Best" nominees.

I agree about "Shame." At least in terms of Michael Fassbender giving what I considered a real gut-wrenching performance. It was subtle, internal and devastating. Especially when you consider that Clooney gave a standard "Clooney" performance in "The Descendants." It was good, but worthy of winning? Not in my opinion. "Shame" was likely shunned because of its material and NC17 rating.

Ginkasa
01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Really poor year for Oscar contenders. Very few of the nominees interested me as they were released. If many of these movies had been released in better years I doubt they would have gotten much attention.

SoonerDave
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Really poor year for Oscar contenders. Very few of the nominees interested me as they were released. If many of these movies had been released in better years I doubt they would have gotten much attention.

No interest in "The Help?" Sure seems worthy of Oscar consideration in my book, but I'm no expert.

Ginkasa
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Very few /= none. Anyway, I liked The Help, but I don't think it would hold as a Best Picture nominee in better years. I'd like to see The Artist, but a silent, black and white movie has no mainstream appeal so its unlikely, even with nominations, many theatres near here will play it (about my only hope is for Quail Springs to get it). I wanted to see Tree of Life, but I didn't so can't speak for its quality.

MikeOKC
01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Very few /= none. Anyway, I liked The Help, but I don't think it would hold as a Best Picture nominee in better years. I'd like to see The Artist, but a silent, black and white movie has no mainstream appeal so its unlikely, even with nominations, many theatres near here will play it (about my only hope is for Quail Springs to get it). I wanted to see Tree of Life, but I didn't so can't speak for its quality.

Did you see Midnight In Paris? Metascore: 81/100.

Ginkasa
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not saying there aren't good movies. I just don't think these movies are, overall, as relatively interesting or "good" as many previous years. They may be "really good," but I don't think much jumps out as unequivocally "great." I think last year's nominees were fantastic with The King's Speech, 127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, True Grit. All great movies that deserved the award. 2010 awards were also better than this year's (but not as good as 2011's) with The Hurt Locker, An Education, A Serious Man, and Avatar. I'm not just talking about Best Picture nominations alone, though. There just wasn't much that grabbed this year as in previous years.

poe
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Me, too, Poe. I cannot think of any other media production regarding the general civil rights movement that impacted me any more than "The Help," possibly because it was such a tale of great dignity about people who were treated with such abject indignity. Its one of the most compelling movies I've ever seen.

Agreed!

Lord Helmet
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
IMHO it's been a pretty mediocre year for movies. The summer blockbusters were pretty meh, as well as the oscar worthy ones.