View Full Version : Oklahoma Liquor Laws Documentary - Need Interviews

BigBadBen
01-24-2012, 07:06 AM
FYI: I also posted this in the Politics Forum.

I am a local filmmaker and will be shooting a short (for now) documentary on Oklahoma Liquor Laws. I will specifically be focusing on the 3.2 law and the no cold transport law.

Im currently researching everything so when I do the interviews I know a little more about the laws.

I have sent requests for interviews to The Able Commission, Several State Representatives/Senators, Beer Distributors of Oklahoma, The Three Major US Breweries as well as local Breweries.

I would also like to interview Beer enthusiasts. I don't just want the law makers side of things, I want Joe Six Pack's take on it also.

If you are interested, and preferably knowledgeable of the laws, please send me an email.

ben@czeckeredpast.com

Thanks!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2012, 03:40 AM
The 3.2 law just leaves me shaking my head. For a couple of reasons.

1 - The how and why it came about to begin with.

2 - The fact that retards STILL drive to TX to get the same beer because it's "twice as strong". *facepalm* No it isn't.

And as long as I can still find Chimay, I'm good!

Bunty
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
So what is the history of 3.2% beer in Oklahoma? Didn't it originate under prohibition? I've read it described as a relic left over from the days of prohibition. If so, how long did Oklahomans have to wait until 3.2% beer was legal to buy? I see 3.2% beer as just another one of those well accepted, time honored cultural traditions that will always refuse to go away in Oklahoma, just like the mysterious nonsense law of not being allowed to buy a car on Sunday.

bluedogok
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
According to the Wikipedia Low-alcohol beer page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-alcohol_beer) Sweden also has a Low Point Beer law (3.5% ABV). It seems that Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota and Utah all have similar 3.2 beer laws. Missouri does as well but does not limit the sale of it so (according to Wikipedia) it is rarely sold in the state. I know they talked about it (20 years ago) on the Coors Brewery tour, the new tour has the tour devices instead of guides and it does not mention it.

bbhill
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Ah yes, separation of church and state at its finest. No regular point beer or cars on Sundays. We gotta keep our moral values or our higher power will strike with mighty force and kill all the jobs. . .

NoOkie
01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Ah yes, separation of church and state at its finest. No regular point beer or cars on Sundays. We gotta keep our moral values or our higher power will strike with mighty force and kill all the jobs. . .

While I think the laws are pretty foolish, car salesmen love the no sundays law for cars. When I was buying a new one a year ago, I mentioned it to one while idly chatting during a test drive. He said it was great, Sunday was the only day he reliably had off. He was quite emphatic about it, and I made a point to ask the other salesmen I worked with about it. They all had the same sentiments. Unintended good consequences, I guess. Even used car salesmen need a day off.

SoonerBeerMan
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
You might try contacting some of the homebrewing clubs that are around the metro area. The Yeastie Boys and Red Dirt Brewers are the two that I know of. Also, up in Tulsa there is FOAM (Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers...I think is what it stands for). They would give you a good viewpoint.

Doug Loudenback
01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Byron J Gambulos, owner of the NW23 & Broadway liquor store, could give you a complete education about liquor laws in Oklahoma (and Oklahoma City), both pre-and-post prohibition repeal, as well as pragmatic detail. He was an active player on both ends of the bookends, and he may be the best single-source that there is on your research topic.

bbhill
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
While I think the laws are pretty foolish, car salesmen love the no sundays law for cars. When I was buying a new one a year ago, I mentioned it to one while idly chatting during a test drive. He said it was great, Sunday was the only day he reliably had off. He was quite emphatic about it, and I made a point to ask the other salesmen I worked with about it. They all had the same sentiments. Unintended good consequences, I guess. Even used car salesmen need a day off.

I can definitely respect that advantage of being closed on Sundays. Perhaps we should close furniture stores and outlaw open houses on Sundays too? Hell, why don't we close every retail outlet while we're at it? Meh. The cons of free market. . .

Steve
01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Ben, Retro Metro OKC may host Byron speaking on this very topic. You're welcome to join us, film his presentation...

Drake
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
So what is the history of 3.2% beer in Oklahoma? Didn't it originate under prohibition? I've read it described as a relic left over from the days of prohibition. If so, how long did Oklahomans have to wait until 3.2% beer was legal to buy? I see 3.2% beer as just another one of those well accepted, time honored cultural traditions that will always refuse to go away in Oklahoma, just like the mysterious nonsense law of not being allowed to buy a car on Sunday.

I think it began in early 70's out of a distribution lawsuit.

The breweries don't want the law changed.

I think there are too many powerful entities that don't want the law changed. Life is easier when you aren't under the supervision of ABLE

okcpulse
01-27-2012, 06:11 PM
The history of 3.2% ABW beer began when national prohibition was repealed in 1933. That same year, 3.2% ABW was legalized for consumer purchase in Oklahoma under the guise of a non-intoxicating beverage. When Oklahoma prohibition ended after voter approval in 1957, the legislature began drafting regulations during the next legislative session that were inserted into the constitution.

Since 3.2 beer was classified as a non-intoxicating beverage, general retail outlets fought to keep the product exempt from alcoholic beverage laws that would confine strong beer, alcohol and wine to package stores. Grocers and service station owners were successful in their fight.

Disagreements over how distribution should be controlled after beverage companies from out of state expressed interest in opening distribution centers in Oklahoma ultimately led to regulations that established Oklahoma under the open wholesale system, a system which locally owned distributors imported beverages from out of state under a same-price basis and such manufacturers were obligated to sell to any subsequent local distributors who expressed interest to import beverages from the manufacturer.

The open wholesale system operated without incident from 1959 until 1976. During that time, liquor stores across the state sold domestic beer brewed by major brewers (i.e. Budweiser, Miller, Schlitz, Coors). However, in 1976, an Ardmore distributor took Coors Brewing Company to court after Coors denied a purchase order from the distributor, stating they already were selling to another distributor in the area.

The court case ruled in the distributor's favor, citing laws in Article 28 of the constitution that established the open wholesale system. The ruling prompted Coors, Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Schlitz to cease selling to distributors in Oklahoma.

Since 3.2 beer is exempt from Article 28, which deals with alcoholic beverage laws, the beer is sold under a franchised distribution system.

I'd love to interview with BigBadBen, however and am still in Houston until later this year. I am sure Byron would offer MUCH more knowledge than I can.

BigBadBen
01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Ben, Retro Metro OKC may host Byron speaking on this very topic. You're welcome to join us, film his presentation...

When?
Where?

BigBadBen
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd love to interview with BigBadBen, however and am still in Houston until later this year. I am sure Byron would offer MUCH more knowledge than I can.

Thank you!
This may turn into a full fledged feature documentary before it is over.
Pleas send me an email with all your contact information so if we expand, I can reach you!

BigBadBen
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Byron J Gambulos, owner of the NW23 & Broadway liquor store, could give you a complete education about liquor laws in Oklahoma (and Oklahoma City), both pre-and-post prohibition repeal, as well as pragmatic detail. He was an active player on both ends of the bookends, and he may be the best single-source that there is on your research topic.

I will give him a call. Thank you!

RadicalModerate
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I've always wanted to witness the voluntary laying of a cornerstone for building a case that will bring Oklahoma's Antique Liquor/Distribution Laws into compliance with contemporary political will . . . (or is that not what the "documentary" is about?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

BigBadBen
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Just called Byron's Liquor Store, left a message. Hopefully he returns my call.

BigBadBen
01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
I've always wanted to witness the voluntary laying of a cornerstone for building a case that will bring Oklahoma's Antique Liquor/Distribution Laws into compliance with contemporary political will . . . (or is that not what the "documentary" is about?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

Somewhat, yes. Personally, I am tired of living under prohibition laws.

For a documentary to maintain credibility, it cannot take a side of the argument.
So, my goal is to present the public with the facts. I want to present the laws, and show differing opinions about why the laws should either be changed or stay as they are.

Also, if there is anything that needs to be uncovered and brought to the public's attention, maybe we can do that as well.

okcpulse
01-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Sent you a pm with my info. I hope I was able to help. Truthfully, there are other states with liquor laws that are just as absurd. However, what we want for Oklahoma is change, not to accept mediocrity.

As always, our state is in a unique situation that is both interesting and scrutinizing. All the same, it is a system the state is outgrowing. Time for the status quo to face the music.

bille
12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
The history of 3.2% ABW beer began when national prohibition was repealed in 1933. That same year, 3.2% ABW was legalized for consumer purchase in Oklahoma under the guise of a non-intoxicating beverage. When Oklahoma prohibition ended after voter approval in 1957, the legislature began drafting regulations during the next legislative session that were inserted into the constitution.

Since 3.2 beer was classified as a non-intoxicating beverage, general retail outlets fought to keep the product exempt from alcoholic beverage laws that would confine strong beer, alcohol and wine to package stores. Grocers and service station owners were successful in their fight.

Disagreements over how distribution should be controlled after beverage companies from out of state expressed interest in opening distribution centers in Oklahoma ultimately led to regulations that established Oklahoma under the open wholesale system, a system which locally owned distributors imported beverages from out of state under a same-price basis and such manufacturers were obligated to sell to any subsequent local distributors who expressed interest to import beverages from the manufacturer.

The open wholesale system operated without incident from 1959 until 1976. During that time, liquor stores across the state sold domestic beer brewed by major brewers (i.e. Budweiser, Miller, Schlitz, Coors). However, in 1976, an Ardmore distributor took Coors Brewing Company to court after Coors denied a purchase order from the distributor, stating they already were selling to another distributor in the area.

The court case ruled in the distributor's favor, citing laws in Article 28 of the constitution that established the open wholesale system. The ruling prompted Coors, Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Schlitz to cease selling to distributors in Oklahoma.

Since 3.2 beer is exempt from Article 28, which deals with alcoholic beverage laws, the beer is sold under a franchised distribution system.

First of all, that's some great information. I've always been curious how the selling of the major domestics came to an end here. How is it you know this?

Second, how is it I failed to see this thread until it was nearly a year old?? What's become of the documentary? Also please let me know if you are interested in a homebrewer/craft beer enthusiest's take on all this!