View Full Version : OKC Councilman Skip Kelly Arrested 1/20/2012 - Drunk Driving

Pages : [1] 2

OKCTalker
01-20-2012, 10:05 AM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-councilman-skip-kelly-arrested/article/3641963

The DO reporting that OKC Councilman Skip Kelly was arrested this morning and charged with drunk driving, his second similar charge in less than three years.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't it be, like, beyond ironic if he got the citation on Kelly Avenue?

krisb
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
He needs to resign.

jungmuny
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
And be replaced by someone who is going to fight to get the quiet zone on Broadway put in place. His ward has more to gain from it that anybody except Auto Alley/Deuce. In fact that would probably be a pretty effective platform to run on!

OKCisOK4me
01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't it be, like, beyond ironic if he got the citation on Kelly Avenue?

It'd be even more ironic if he Skip'd his court date...

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
"[the] Quiet Zone" . . . "On Broadway" . . . near "Automobile Alley" . . . not far from "The Deuce" . . .
(if I didn't live here, I'd think y'all were talking about "Sesame Street" . . .)

Pete
01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Just a month ago, Orange County here in California successfully implemented a quite zone spanning FIFTY TWO intersections.

I simply don't understand how/why we can't get this done in a relatively small area that could yield tremendous development.

Roadhawg
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
And be replaced by someone who is going to fight to get the quiet zone on Broadway put in place. His ward has more to gain from it that anybody except Auto Alley/Deuce. In fact that would probably be a pretty effective platform to run on!

or somebody that's willing to stop the train whistles.... ooops wrong thread

TheTravellers
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Just a month ago, Orange County here in California successfully implemented a quite zone spanning FIFTY TWO intersections.

I simply don't understand how/why we can't get this done in a relatively small area that could yield tremendous development.

I don't understand it either, but it seems like things that other municipalities in other states can get done in normal amounts of time just cannot ever happen here in OKC (be it city, county, ODOT, etc.). Is it lack of will, lack of money, lack of initiative, lack of political power, combo of many factors, only being able to do it on Friday the 13ths, ...? It would be interesting to know why s*** just can't get done here. Yeah, I know, lots of things do get done, but others just can't. Very very frustrating to see what needs to be done, why, and how, but it just won't.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM
or somebody that's willing to stop the train whistles.... ooops wrong thread

Please excuse me while I locate a tissue to wipe something resembiling nasal effluvia and coffee (s'not . . . s'too) off the screen on account of sneezing and coughing just as I laughed.

"Quiet Zone" . . . In The New Urbanity . . .
Way too much "Sims" in "the formative 'wonder' years" I would suspect . . .
Not to mention "Scooby Doo"

metro
01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow, this is his 2nd DUI. I've also seen him hitting on younger hot chicks at popular downtown restaurants/bars. Ironic how the local media is almost completely silent on this and Mayor Micks divorce.

ljbab728
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Wow, this is his 2nd DUI. I've also seen him hitting on younger hot chicks at popular downtown restaurants/bars. Ironic how the local media is almost completely silent on this and Mayor Micks divorce.

I'd hardly say the media has been quiet about this metro. I saw a feature with a mug shot on the evening news tonight. What kind of publicity do you want?

kevinpate
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM

But are they really. If you consider how many DUI arrests and divorce cases take place every week of every year, by comparison it's not silent. The public figure aspect is why of course. 99.9%+ never get reported on beyond a mention in a 'filings' column.

As for the divorce of OKC's mayor and his spouse, or any divorce for that matter, the media ought to stay out of it. Unless something about the dissolution is tied to his position as mayor, or there has some misrepresentation that impacts his credibility, it's simply not a public matter. We're decades beyond a marriage ending being news when around 50% fail.

metro
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
But are they really. If you consider how many DUI arrests and divorce cases take place every week of every year, by comparison it's not silent. The public figure aspect is why of course. 99.9%+ never get reported on beyond a mention in a 'filings' column.

As for the divorce of OKC's mayor and his spouse, or any divorce for that matter, the media ought to stay out of it. Unless something about the dissolution is tied to his position as mayor, or there has some misrepresentation that impacts his credibility, it's simply not a public matter. We're decades beyond a marriage ending being news when around 50% fail.

Not sure I'd call that progress, and also for you "progressives" this would have been blown out of proportion in cities like NYC or LA.

Sheetkeecker
01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Nice to learn the city's decisions are being made by habitual drunks.
DUI is a VERY serious, and in my opinion. unforgivable offense when done more than once.
Either you stand against it, or you turn your back for those you think are "special".

Pete
01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Hard to imagine he can continue on after this second offense.

I saw a study that estimated the average person arrested for DUI has already committed that offense 87 (!!) times before being caught.

kevinpate
01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Hard to imagine he can continue on after this second offense.

I saw a study that estimated the average person arrested for DUI has already committed that offense 87 (!!) times before being caught.

Not to make light of the study, but it would not surprise me if that number was low, and by more than a little bit.

Pete
01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Another estimate is that people drive drunk an average of 27,000 miles before being pulled over.

And from my experience, this sort of ratio is similar in all types of crimes. I always assume by the time someone is caught they've been engaging in a lot of wrong doing for an extended period of time.

kevinpate
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
... I think the news should be on every night running the story, "it is day two and Councilman Skip Kelly still hasn't resigned from office after being charged a second time for driving drunk."

I think we should actually put the number of DUI's/DWI's right on the driver license. After each offense you need to get a new card. ...
Maybe we also need a DUI registry. Obviously, after a reasonable period of time I think it would be fine to let names fall off the list.

If it is all the same to you, and perhaps others, you might cut the local news a bit of a break. They reported the arrest when it happened.

Near as I can tell, there has not been a charging decision made, only an arrest. I am something of a law dinosaur, one of the few who seem to still hold to the notion of a person being innocent unless and until he is proven to be guilty. If the state hasn't even brought a charge, you canna get there. Indeed the press would be rather irresponsible to go after him, at this point. A charging decision does not rest with him and it will come, or a decision to decline to bring charges will come, in due course.

Until then, how many times can one cover the fact of an arrest in a one vehicle incident without witnesses? It's not like the officer is going to vastly add or detract to the already reported observations.

Please know I am not defending anyone's actions based on their position or their probable offense. This arrest is different solely because Kelly is a public official. Were he Skip the carpetlayer, you'd likely never hear about him unless (a) you were someone involved in the arrest (b) a regular reader of arrest reports or booking logs or (c) knew someone connected to the party.

Marking the license idea, not a bad idea to do so after a conviction, maybe even mark the ones of folk on deferred sentencing status until the deferral period is up. But if it is a good idea, is dropping it off at some point a good idea? The conviction stays as part of the person's record. Just wondering the thoughts there.

Just the facts
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
If he lived near downtown he could have walked home from the bar. Urban sprawl strikes again.

Jim Kyle
01-22-2012, 08:30 AM
What I am not okay is the culture. It tends to be okay these days and especially so in Oklahoma. There is a "live and let live" mentality that seems to me usurp common sense. I guess I have just seen it too many times around accident scenes. The dark cloud of *hush hush* the settles around when it is someone that everyone knows. You know, the good guy that you wouldn't think would do this. To me, that is indicative of a culture that is not facing reality and dealing with the issue.It's nothing new. Back in the mid-50s, when I was just getting started as a reporter, the Legislature passed a bill setting a minimum 10-day jail sentence for DWI convictions. No exceptions, suspension not allowed. That was for the first offense.

The result? The number of DWI charges dropped to almost zero. Instead, officers were charging offenders with DUI, which did not carry such a minimum sentence. Why? As one officer told me at the time, it was nearly impossible to get a conviction on DWI no matter how strong the evidence. Juries simply refused to convict anyone when there was no chance to keep them out of jail. Being quick learners, the officers simply quit writing up DWI and used the lesser charge instead.

Unfortunately, the lesser charge didn't wind up on the guilty party's driving record, since it was only a misdemeanor. Drinkers continued to drive.

The Law of Unintended Consequences had struck again. The more things change...

kevinpate
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually, you jogged my memory and the DL marking is going to be happening. It is a part of SB 529 signed by the Gov. last summer and effective this past Nov 1. In addition to DPS developing a DL marking process, the length of time interlock devices must remain on vehicles is significantly increased under the new law.

See the enacted language in SB529 by going to:
http://newlsb.lsb.state.ok.us/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB529
Click on the Versions tab, then scroll to Enrolled (final version) and open the file.

A fair summary of the changes made by SB529 can be viewed at:
http://www.erinswezeyact.com/New_Text_Widget_1.html

Sheetkeecker
01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
It is unacceptable. Period. There should be swift and harsh punishment. I spent too many years extricating victims. I have seen it all and it is really hard to not let yourself get really, really upset at these drunks. I disagree that this is in the same category of a marriage scandal. I think the news should be on every night running the story, "it is day two and Councilman Skip Kelly still hasn't resigned from office after being charged a second time for driving drunk."

I think we should actually put the number of DUI's/DWI's right on the driver license. After each offense you need to get a new card. Bartenders and such should be able to clearly see in big red numbers how many times you have put other lives at risk (and were caught). Remember, restaurants/bars are able to deny service. And many will because the lawsuits are a very real threat. I think educaiting the real adults (business owners) is one of the best ways to cut down on those who can't consistently make adults decisions. Sure, giving them this information puts the burden a little more on them but I think that is exactly what it is going to take. Unless we are willing to lock people up for a long time for each offense, I think we need to fight this from a cultural standpoint. We need businesses to have a strong incentive to say, "sorry, we will not serve you." One parallel would be how stores ban shoplifters.

Maybe we also need a DUI registry. Obviously, after a reasonable period of time I think it would be fine to let names fall off the list.

Post billboards statewide--One Year from Today, drunk driving will mean automatic 1-year jail or house arrest with leg band, and loss of license for 10 years--with a zero tolerance, no exceptions whatsoever for any reason STAY HOME IF YOU WANT TO DRINK. My best GF ever, in high school, got killed one Saturday afternoon by a drunk. Made me bitter. It was very ugly.

kevinpate
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Post billboards statewide--One Year from Today, drunk driving will mean automatic 1-year jail or house arrest with leg band, and loss of license for 10 years--with a zero tolerance, no exceptions whatsoever for any reason STAY HOME IF YOU WANT TO DRINK. My best GF ever, in high school, got killed one Saturday afternoon by a drunk. Made me bitter. It was very ugly.

I regret your loss. However, if you scroll back to post 25, you might pause and wonder. For a far less severe punishment, the general public, via jury service, wouldn't go along with no choice punishment. It is difficult to imagine even stronger mandatory no exception whatsoever punishments would fare any better today.

Roadhawg
01-22-2012, 02:05 PM
I've had more than 1 DUI, none are anything I'm proud of, and the last one was 1982. I don't know if it's the case here but people do have problems with alcohol but that doesn't make them a bad person. What's important is what he does now to make sure it doesn't happen again. Most anybody that drinks has the possibility of getting a DUI, a .08 isn't very much, but after the 1st most don't get another one. In the past I've worked with many people that got a DUI and very few were bad people and many turned their lives around. I'm grateful nobody was hurt and like I said before, what he does now is what's important. Be it being in public office or not, there are more important things than a job at this point. jmho

Just the facts
01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
People convicted of DUI should have to clean up trash on the side of the road - at 2AM.

HewenttoJared
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Wearing black

OKCTalker
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords just resigned so that she can get better and the citizens of her district can be better represented. Sounds like a good lead for Councilman Kelly.

Sheetkeecker
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I've had more than 1 DUI, none are anything I'm proud of, and the last one was 1982. I don't know if it's the case here but people do have problems with alcohol but that doesn't make them a bad person. What's important is what he does now to make sure it doesn't happen again. Most anybody that drinks has the possibility of getting a DUI, a .08 isn't very much, but after the 1st most don't get another one. In the past I've worked with many people that got a DUI and very few were bad people and many turned their lives around. I'm grateful nobody was hurt and like I said before, what he does now is what's important. Be it being in public office or not, there are more important things than a job at this point. jmho

I don't know if it's the case here but people do have problems with alcohol but that doesn't make them a bad person.

THAT's the problem, exactly.
IT DOES MAKE THEM A BAD PERSON.
If you accept it as "ok" at any level, well, get ready to go see someone on a slab in pieces. I suppose someone who was shooting his gun in the neighborhood wildly and happens to send a round through a bedroom window and kills a child--is not really a bad person.

Well--what the hell ARE they?
If you keep saying they are not "really a bad person", then every crime known to man does not really make anyone a BAD person.
I just think lines have to be drawn in a society and when crossed knowingly, you pay a very severe price.
Otherwise, chaos.

Don't mean to rag on anyone in particular, but when everything becomes blurred and acceptable nothing good can come of it.
You want to drink, well fine. CALL A CAB OR A FRIEND. Why would people do this all the time, well they would if the penalty was utterly severe and they thought the door on their life might slam shut. Or, you can just HOPE things work out fine and no one gets hurt, and if they do, well, it's really NO ONE'S FAULT. They meant well.

Just the facts
01-23-2012, 09:12 AM
THAT's the problem--exactly.
IT DOES MAKE THEM A BAD PERSON.

^This. It is funny how many people place themselves just barely on the "good" side of the good/bad line. Might as well say I kill babies using a pitchfork, but that doesn't make me a bad person. That doesn't mean people can't change though. Paul was once a bad person, but he changed.

Pete
01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
You can separate the person from the action -- good people can do bad things -- but when those actions are repeated and there isn't a recognition they are bad and a dedication to change, then those actions can very much define the person.

Now, if you accept blame and work very hard at making changes in your life, then THOSE actions can begin to define you rather then the previous bad choices.

But until then I don't think it's harsh to judge somebody for multiple DUI's considering the law of the land decrees it is in fact and very simply, BAD.

Sheetkeecker
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
^This. It is funny how many people place themselves just barely on the "good" side of the good/bad line. Might as well say I kill babies using a pitchfork, but that doesn't make me a bad person.

Correct. It's like going to the edge of a sheer cliff and then when you fall off, oh well, he didn't mean to fall off. Wiser people stand back a bit, the wind sometimes picks up real fast.

We laugh when people get DUIs. Sid Burgess sounded like he knew the incredible danger a 4,000 pound car at 60mph means when it is driven by a person who could not even tell you his name. people need to say ENOUGH OF THIS "SHEET" and give a long warning of the change and then start wrecking people's lives who choose to risk DOING THE SAME TO OTHERS.

Sadly, IT IS the ONLY THING people understand. The ONLY THING. Some will get hurt, too bad, and some may lose jobs or have to take a bus like lots of others do. The choice is your own responsibility. Or simply don't drive.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
This is beginning to remind me of a call-in on the old Sally Jessie Raphiel radio show . . .
(Before she was exposed for exposing her boobs while in college)

Caller: "My daughter isn't a bad person . . ."

Sally: "Stop right there. Yes she is . . . Get a grip lady . . . She IS a bad person . . . She is doing bad things . . . Everything you've told me she does is bad . . . She steals from you . . . She's addicted to drugs . . . She has no sense of personal responsibility . . . How can we possibly label people as good or bad if not by their actions . . . Why . . . (Etc.)

Pete
01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
More details released today, such as Kelly saying he wasn't drunk but refusing a breathalizer, having trouble walking, urinating in the back of a police car, and claiming he was swerving to miss another car even though there is ample evidence this is not the truth.

He also says he plans to serve out his term but not seek re-election:

http://newsok.com/report-is-released-on-oklahoma-city-councilmans-arrest/article/3642774

Just the facts
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
More details released today, such as Kelly saying he wasn't drunk but refusing a breathalizer, having trouble walking, urinating in the back of a police car, and claiming he was swerving to miss another car even though there is ample evidence this is not the truth.

http://newsok.com/report-is-released-on-oklahoma-city-councilmans-arrest/article/3642774

These are the exact same excuses used by the Concordia captain.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
If Skip Kelly wants to redeem himself . . . Integritywise . . .
He probably should take OKCTalkers' advice.
(Post #36, above, for the lazy=)

(I would imagine that one trained in The Art of Haiku--rather than The Art of War--could make a "poem" out of that. Disclaimer: I have been wrong before.)

OKCTalker
01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Rad and I are on the same page!? The sun rises in the west tomorrow!

Thanks, Rad. There may not be a rule or law or regulation requiring Skip to resign, it's simply the right thing to do.

Roadhawg
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM

Sounds like he isn't ready to accept responsibility for his actions and most who do that are doomed to repeat them. I hope I'm wrong. Seriously doubt he could get re-elected again anyway.

metro
01-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I wonder how The Black Chronicle "the paper that tells the truth", is reporting this story.

Pete
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Now it's being reported he is facing felony charges and if convicted, will lose his council seat according to city charter.

Midtowner
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Now it's being reported he is facing felony charges and if convicted, will lose his council seat according to city charter.

It's pretty routine for DUIs, even second ones to be charged as felonies, then pled down to suspended or deferred sentences or misdemeanors. Granted, it's a little tougher to get that these days.

aintaokie
01-24-2012, 04:51 AM
You can separate the person from the action -- good people can do bad things -- but when those actions are repeated and there isn't a recognition they are bad and a dedication to change, then those actions can very much define the person.

Now, if you accept blame and work very hard at making changes in your life, then THOSE actions can begin to define you rather then the previous bad choices.

But until then I don't think it's harsh to judge somebody for multiple DUI's considering the law of the land decrees it is in fact and very simply, BAD.

Well said.......

Roadhawg
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
TULSA, Oklahoma -

Richard Roberts, son of the late Oral Roberts and chairman and CEO of Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association, was arrested early Tuesday morning in Tulsa for driving under the influence and speeding.

According to Tulsa County jail records, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper clocked a car driven by Roberts eastbound on the Creek Turnpike at 93 mph.

The trooper stopped Roberts' 2006 Mercedes on Highway 169 near 71st Street at 12:06 a.m.

In his report the trooper stated when he approached the driver, he detected a strong odor of alcohol.

The trooper said Roberts failed two field sobriety tests so the trooper took him to the Jenks Police Department to administer a breathalyzer test.

That test showed Roberts' blood alcohol content was 0.11, according to the trooper's report.

OKCTalker
01-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder how The Black Chronicle "the paper that tells the truth", is reporting this story.

He skipped today's City Council meeting. I wonder if he'll also skip next Tuesday's town hall meeting.

http://www.blackchronicle.com/news/1-19-12/kelly.html
City Councilman Ronald “Skip” Kelly (Ward 7) has scheduled a community meeting for later this month. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 31, at the Metro Tech Auditorium, 1700 Springlake Dr. The relocation of the post office on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, economic development, public safety, code enforcement and infrastructure improvements will be among the topics to be discussed. Representatives from city police, planning, development services and public works departments will answer questions at the meeting.

Larry OKC
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Not fair! I was taking a drink when I read this...
Hopefully not the kind Mr. Kelly imbibed.

Larry OKC
01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
If he lived near downtown he could have walked home from the bar. Urban sprawl strikes again.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some law about walking while intoxicated. Maybe fall under public intoxication and such? Besides that, the articles stated that he was having trouble walking when he was arrested, so I am not sure if being able to walk home would have helped. Although it would have greatly reduced the probability of him causing harm to someone else.

metro
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
TULSA, Oklahoma -

Richard Roberts, son of the late Oral Roberts and chairman and CEO of Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association, was arrested early Tuesday morning in Tulsa for driving under the influence and speeding.

According to Tulsa County jail records, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper clocked a car driven by Roberts eastbound on the Creek Turnpike at 93 mph.

The trooper stopped Roberts' 2006 Mercedes on Highway 169 near 71st Street at 12:06 a.m.

In his report the trooper stated when he approached the driver, he detected a strong odor of alcohol.

The trooper said Roberts failed two field sobriety tests so the trooper took him to the Jenks Police Department to administer a breathalyzer test.

That test showed Roberts' blood alcohol content was 0.11, according to the trooper's report.

While newsworthy, what does it have to do with Skip Kelly?

Bunty
01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Nice to learn the city's decisions are being made by habitual drunks.
DUI is a VERY serious, and in my opinion. unforgivable offense when done more than once.
Either you stand against it, or you turn your back for those you think are "special".

It's hard to understand how anyone young or older can show such bad judgment toward drinking and driving. Enough of my friends and relatives have gotten DUI to know I would be a fool to think such a thing could never happen to me.

The third DUI could get Kelly sentenced to prison. My friend after getting a 2nd DUI knows this and now simply won't take a chance on driving after drinking.

Bunty
01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
TULSA, Oklahoma -

At least he is no longer head of ORU. That's scary and highly foolish to drive at night at 93 mph with at least a BAC of .11. Besides that, Roberts may be at that age when night vision is dimming. I don't want on a highway with someone like that at day or night.

Just the facts
01-24-2012, 09:28 PM
What is sad is how many "friends" he had on the council that new he was an alcoholic. I worked for an alcoholic once - it wasn't fun. The guy could never remember conversations, thinking skills were shot (literally), and his random attendance was hard to work around.

rcjunkie
01-25-2012, 04:19 AM
It's hard to understand how anyone young or older can show such bad judgment toward drinking and driving. Enough of my friends and relatives have gotten DUI to know I would be a fool to think such a thing could never happen to me.

The third DUI could get Kelly sentenced to prison. My friend after getting a 2nd DUI knows this and now simply won't take a chance on driving after drinking.

1st offense should be mandatory 1 year in jail.

kevinpate
01-25-2012, 05:12 AM

Trouble is, it likely would not work. See Jim's note in post 25 on the result of trying a far smaller mandatory minimum.

Sheetkeecker
01-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Trouble is, it likely would not work. See Jim's note in post 25 on the result of trying a far smaller mandatory minimum.

The idea is to KEEP HIM OFF THE ROAD for at least one year. I'd be all for it.

Jim Kyle
01-25-2012, 09:22 AM
My aging memory seems to recall that at one time we had a law saying that refusal to take a breathalyzer test was automatic surrender of one's driver's license for some period of time. Anybody else remember this, or was it simply wishful thinking on my part?

In any event, lack of a license doesn't seem to have much effect in keeping idiots off the roads -- but it does give one more page in the book to throw at them when needed...

kevinpate
01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
My aging memory seems to recall that at one time we had a law saying that refusal to take a breathalyzer test was automatic surrender of one's driver's license for some period of time. Anybody else remember this, or was it simply wishful thinking on my part?

One will get their license to drive revoked, but there are ways to circumvent that, some legal, i.e. obtaining a modified license and using an interlock device. Some not, i.e., driving with fingers crossed and hoping one doesn't draw attention of a constable.

BoulderSooner
01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

if the dui limit was at a reasonable level this would be a very good idea

kevinpate
01-26-2012, 08:24 AM
The idea is to KEEP HIM OFF THE ROAD for at least one year. I'd be all for it.

Not a bad idea, merely an unworkable one. If folk would not convict for a ten day mandatory punishment, it's not likely folk will convict for a one year mandatory minimum. No conviction means the person is not off the road.

I get the point, I do. I just do not see it taking hold. Taking away liberty and taking away cars doesn't come easy to most folk. Probably because of the many "but for the grace of god or a sober friend, there go I" mentalities out there.

That is one reason, my opinion only, that last year's changes focused on hitting folks in their pocketbooks but letting them still have access to their cars. The length of time that interlock devices are required was significantly increased, and thereby increasing the total expense as well. Although the devices are not foolproof, they do help get imbibing drivers off the road, and most folks don't really care of Joe has to shell out for it an extra 2-3 years now. They do care about sending Joe to prison and his SO and kiddos needing state aid to get by.

I used to drive around all hours of the night, sober, but out there. I tend to be asleep or at least home long before the prime DUI hours these days, and prefer it that way. because yes, some folks are crazy scary stupid.

OKCisOK4me
01-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Did you guys see on the news the other night some council member saying, "I don't know how good waving your finger in someone's face really is...when it comes to a sobriety test". Dude, you'd have no problem with it, had it been someone other than good ol' Skip Kelly or yourself. Gimme a break!

Just the facts
01-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Did you guys see on the news the other night some council member saying, "I don't know how good waving your finger in someone's face really is...when it comes to a sobriety test". Dude, you'd have no problem with it, had it been someone other than good ol' Skip Kelly or yourself. Gimme a break!

I saw that and thought it was a pretty lame comment. If you can't follow a finger with your eyes you can't drive a car.

OKCisOK4me
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I saw that and thought it was a pretty lame comment. If you can't follow a finger with your eyes you can't drive a car.

Spot on!