View Full Version : It's time for letters to the FCC

jstaylor62
01-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Gentlepeople of OKC,

I know that I am not the only one among us that watches the local TV stations to catch the local weather forecasts. But over the past several years, I have noticed the TV stations have used weather coverage as their ratings bell cow. More and more they use teasers to draw viewers to stay tuned. For example, they tease that snow is in the forecast. But when they actually discuss the forecast, they reveal that snow is predicted for the panhandle. This is useless information since most people in the panhandle do not even watch TV stations out of OKC since they watch stations from Amarillo. I laugh at this type of hype because I can see it for what is, but some people can not.

My elderly parents get caught up in the weather drama all the time. They are from the David Brinkley generation and truly believe that newscasters and weatherman are basically honest and have no hidden ratings agenda. Anytime that the local TV weatherman bases his snow forecast on the one out of five weather models that predicts snow, I have to remind my parents that they are only doing it for the hype. As soon as the weathermen start teasing possible snow in the forecast, my parents are at the grocery store buying milk, eggs and bread. I'm not saying it wrong to be prepared, I'm just saying you need to be reasonable.

Weather news in Oklahoma can be critical life or death information. I do not like seeing weather news getting over dramatized and pimped out for ratings. It has to stop. Since the local TV stations operate under licenses from the FCC, I am going to start a letter writing campaign to the FCC complaining about the more egregious instances of over dramatization.

I hope that some of you can relate to my frustration and join my campaign.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
What is the address?
(To enlist)

I still remember posting on one of the local "news/weather" channels websites to complain about why they weren't showing maps of where the extreme road flooding was--instead of running the assinine, repetitive blather--so I could "chart a course" in order to pick up my wife when she got off work.

There were at least five "High Fives" to my simple suggestion within about ten minutes.

Of course, right after that, we were all distracted by footage of that unfortunate--yet miraculously lucky--girl swimming and clinging to trees just east of I-35 and Sooner Road.

I'm in.
What do we do?

Roadhawg
01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
The local TV news is useless unless there's severe weather and then it's still debatable.

TaoMaas
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Umm...yeah....good luck with that.

OKCTalker
01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think that you can create an enforceable regulation on this - I sure with the industry would self-regulate better.

If you're going to write a letter to FCC, make it about LightSquared and their attempt to completely take over the GPS spectrum, degrading or destroying the accuracy of every GPS receiver. Every GPS used by a motorist, hiker, runner, farmer, airline pilot or oceangoing vessel would be affected.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Umm...yeah....good luck with that.

Ummm . . . 'zackly what does that mean?
(It implies a lack of The Audacity of Hope and so forth)

Bunty
01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Instead of complaining to the FCC, complain to the station management and their weather people. A bunch of similar sounding complaints just might make an impression to do something.

Of Sound Mind
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Or better yet, turn the channel (or the TV off altogether).

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
It it possible to turn off the TV partially . . . Rather than altogether?
Or when it comes down to Weather Coverage do we rely on that rock on a string hanging out on the back porch?

Or should we turn off the TV all together, would it have an impact equal to or greater than the recent Wikipedia demonstration?

Just the facts
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Or better yet, turn the channel (or the TV off altogether).

Step 1: www.weather.com
Step 2: Get a weather radio

My in-laws live out in the country and we got them a weather radio two years ago for Christmas. They love it. It wakes them at night if there is severe weather approaching and they can hear it in the backyard during the day.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Out in what country?
That's akin to saying . . .
"And, if you're going to The Lake the forecast is . . ."

Just the facts
01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Out in what country?
That's akin to saying . . .
"And, if you're going to The Lake the forecast is . . ."

Country - as in rural America. Home of country music. Opposite of city.

MDot
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I just had a revelation... When JTF and RM start replying to each other it makes for an entertaining thread. I have no idea why but for some reason the above "conversation" between them made me lightly chuckle.

HewenttoJared
01-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Step 1: www.weather.com
Step 2: Get a weather radio

My in-laws live out in the country and we got them a weather radio two years ago for Christmas. They love it. It wakes them at night if there is severe weather approaching and they can hear it in the backyard during the day.

It's good that we have government around to give us stuff like that, otherwise they'd be stuck with local news.

Snowman
01-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I know that I am not the only one among us that watches the local TV stations to catch the local weather forecasts. But over the past several years, I have noticed the TV stations have used weather coverage as their ratings bell cow. More and more they use teasers to draw viewers to stay tuned. For example, they tease that snow is in the forecast. But when they actually discuss the forecast, they reveal that snow is predicted for the panhandle. This is useless information since most people in the panhandle do not even watch TV stations out of OKC since they watch stations from Amarillo. I laugh at this type of hype because I can see it for what is, but some people can not.

Local sports and weather have been the cornerstones of most local stations newscasts for quite some time. They have been overusing those teasers for at least twenty five years, the only reason I pick twenty five is that is the limit on when I was old enough to pay attention to the news and it did not seem new then, I have no doubt it went on long before that.

TaoMaas
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Ummm . . . 'zackly what does that mean?
(It implies a lack of The Audacity of Hope and so forth)

It means that tv has no real obligation to its viewers these days. It's just a business, like Wal Mart or your local gas station. Asking a tv station to provide what you need is like asking Wal Mart or the corner gas station to lower their prices. It ain't happenin'.