View Full Version : Garth Brooks vs Integris

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
This is obviously a very emotional issue for Garth and I can understand how he feels. I do, however, think he is going to be on the losing end of this lawsuit.

http://newsok.com/article/3641551

OKCisOK4me
01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Its stupid if you ask me. Guess he should have had the verbal agreement noterized.

oneforone
01-20-2012, 04:22 AM
He gave them the money outright. He should have taken the time to sit down with a lawyer and identify exactly how, when and where the money will be spent.

Everybody with an ounce of common sense knows words are not worth anything in the business world until its on paper and inked by all involved parties. Let's face it he donated that money with publicity in mind. The momma factor is just a one screen to tug on the hearts of the jury. If she meant that much why didn't he lay down the law back then and demand answers in 2005 and so on. Honestly I don't think he thought it would go to court he likely planned on INTEGRIS cowering and settling to avoid bad press. He didn't realize this not their first rodeo and they have probably had this happen before.

I honestly think he was under the impression the hospital was under his thumb. When he finally asked for it back I can see why they said they will make him work like hell for it. I'm sure they were irritated that he reneged on the offer all the time and expense they went to get him to donate. When he finally donated it appears it was by surprise. They expected to sit down with him and sign off on the details.

Both sides are guilty of playing the other. If Garth should be mad at someone he needs to find the nearest mirror after that he should fire his financial staff. Any good accountant and lawyer will tell their clients get it in writing and let us review it. Together we will negotiate the terms and then you can sign off on it and give them a check. It sounds to me his head was bigger than his brain in 2005. He should not get a do over because he made a bad decision. What happened here is what happens in non profits and charities everyday. Charity staff are usually experts in the world of sales. After all you have to be persuasive to raise money. People have to be sold in giving to a charity. They don't just do it because you say we help people with ______.

Once you give away money it's gone. This is like a friend asking you for money because the need groceries. You give them the money with notion they are going grocery shopping. Instead they take the money and go party. You get mad them all you want. In the end they can do what they please with money you gave them. Because its their money the Isecond you give it to them. What comes down to is this , never give away money without doing your homework.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Since the name "Integris" has a vague, subliminal connection with "Integrity" . . .
Shouldn't they (or it) have done what they (it) said they (it) would do?

Or did they (it) spend it (the money formerly known as Garth's) on TV advertising?

OKCTalker
01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Any conditional gift of this size should be clearly negotiated and memorialized in writing. Both parties - Brooks and Integris - share in the blame for not doing that.

Given the clear misunderstanding, the right thing for Integris to do is return the money. They'll never know how many future donations they WON'T receive due to this, but this will certainly hurt them. And should.

Sheetkeecker
01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
The name Integris is going to be run into the dirt at a level they can scarcely imagine because of this. To do this to a man who gave you 500K and all he asked was you put his dead Mom's name on it is completely despicable--it is as simple as that. they will deeply regret their actions.

SoonerDave
01-20-2012, 08:39 AM
The deterioration Integris' public "goodwill capital" (if you will) continued yesterday, as an Integris' exec's email was released in which he stated (apparently as the disagreement between the parties started to escalate), "We may not be able to keep him from his money, but we can make him work hard as **** for it." (That was a paraphrase).

Its pretty clear this has deteriorated into a competitive urination challenge between two substantive egos, one a businessman, one a music star. Neither comes out of this with clean hands, but IMHO Integris looks *especially* stupid for letting it get this far. The bad PR tied to this is almost unmeasurable. It won't affect Brooks' one whie. While I'm not someone who has any kind of funds to make anything like that kind of gift to a hospital, but if I were, and had been solicited as aggressively as it appears Brooks was by Integris, I'd darned sure give any such gift a serious second thought.

The clear sign to me Integris is on the defensive is then their PR front man did *not* issue the standard "we don't discuss ongoing litigation," but said "we are convinced we were within the law in this issue" and tried to defend Integris in a newsbite. That, to me, is a company on the defensive and treading water.

As I said, regardless of who is really right or wrong, or who promised what, I think its incalculably silly of Integris to have let it go this far.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 09:01 AM
This is what happens when you try to run roughshod over a beloved, retired, figure in American Country Music.
(and his mama)

It's a good thing that Toby Keith isn't involved.
Things could get just a little ugly . . . In a good way.

(I feel a song a-comin' on . . .
"There was a time in this great land
when a handshake meant your word . . .
But greedy legaleze has turned it to a turd . . .")

Maybe Integris needs to rerun that heartwarming "Valentines Day Multiple Kidney Transplant" ad a few (thousand) more times in order to put duct tape on their image . . . That, or counter the "turd" move with a brand new ad for their state-of-the-art-cutting edge Proctology Clinic. Perhaps showing the removal of the heads of those decision-makers at the top from their collective asses.

Perhaps they could even hire Red Green as a spokesperson . . .
(And thereby squander the rest of Garth's Gift)

(" . . . and the thunder rolls . . . .)

(Did I forget to mention Garth's wife?)
(and a song about a time when a man's [person's] word was [his or her] bond?)
0TteLToS4zg

At the end of the day, I am glad that it is no longer Baptist Medical Center.
(and probably a lot of Baptists are too)

Sheetkeecker
01-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I can't wait for Toby Keith to have his say, he'll likely go there a put a BOOT in someone's A**!

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Just another clip for The Integris Proctology Clinic ad.

Questor
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
An oral agreement is in fact a contract if a promise is made based upon a consideration such as the exchange of money, the two parties are of sound mind and have the legal capacity to enter into the agreement, and all minimum legality requirements are met (such as everyone is over 18). I get so frustrated when people assume that because something isn't in writing it isn't an agreement. The fact is if you do all of the above verbally you are locked into doing what you say by law. The problem that arises is it is too easy to get into a "he said/she said" when there isn't something to document the transaction. This could be as simple as one side having a different recollection or understanding of the details of the terms of the agreement than another, or as terrible as one side lying to the other. I understand the reasoning and generally agree that it is always smartest to get something in writing that is held by all parties that lawyers have looked over to make sure it is clear what has been agreed to. But on the flip side of that I think that is really indicative of a system that is corrupt where people don't really think they owe anyone anything else unless it has been blessed by lawyers and documented in as air-tight a condition as possible. I'm not a lawyer but I don't like what Integris is saying. Even if it is legal I have to wonder about its morality. Perhaps Integris should be reminded of its Baptist roots and its board should take a hard look at itself and ask if causing someone, a donor, so much pain is the right thing to do, regardless of whether or not it is the legal thing to do. I thought the whole point of the Hippocratic oath and of the Baptist convention was the ideal of following a law of a higher authority even more just than the laws of man? Consider that Integris.

SoonerDave
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Integris may well believe they are legally right in all this. Seems to me that, somewhere, someone should have explained to them the "high cost of being right." They look silly.

Midtowner
01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
An oral agreement is in fact a contract if a promise is made based upon a consideration such as the exchange of money, the two parties are of sound mind and have the legal capacity to enter into the agreement, and all minimum legality requirements are met (such as everyone is over 18). I get so frustrated when people assume that because something isn't in writing it isn't an agreement. The fact is if you do all of the above verbally you are locked into doing what you say by law. The problem that arises is it is too easy to get into a "he said/she said" when there isn't something to document the transaction. This could be as simple as one side having a different recollection or understanding of the details of the terms of the agreement than another, or as terrible as one side lying to the other. I understand the reasoning and generally agree that it is always smartest to get something in writing that is held by all parties that lawyers have looked over to make sure it is clear what has been agreed to. But on the flip side of that I think that is really indicative of a system that is corrupt where people don't really think they owe anyone anything else unless it has been blessed by lawyers and documented in as air-tight a condition as possible. I'm not a lawyer but I don't like what Integris is saying. Even if it is legal I have to wonder about its morality. Perhaps Integris should be reminded of its Baptist roots and its board should take a hard look at itself and ask if causing someone, a donor, so much pain is the right thing to do, regardless of whether or not it is the legal thing to do. I thought the whole point of the Hippocratic oath and of the Baptist convention was the ideal of following a law of a higher authority even more just than the laws of man? Consider that Integris.

It may be a contract, but as it is for more than $500, it's governed by the statute of frauds. I haven't looked at the pleadings, but I'm guessing this is an action for fraudulent inducement rather than on a contract.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I haven't looked at "the pleadings" either . . . as if my opinion mattered . . .
But if "Integris" isn't bleeding out the ass including extra money for "pain and suffering"--in the direction of Garth Brooks, Inc. His Heirs and Assigns--with interest and punitive damages, we have learned nothing (in regard to "lawyers") since "To Kill A Mockingbird" . . . was his name Atticus something or other?

Not even putting on the table the issue of "Fraud".

(P.S. Garth Brooks is for real. "Integris" appears to be fraudently sketchy . . .
Go Cowboys . . . Who said an OSU education ain't worth [schite].?)

Just to put things in perspective . . .
(while never admitting I'm one of the 1% or the 99%)
(for The Jury . . . in the name of harmony and justice.)

The Pirated Version . . . (direct from Somalia)
h4W0BkLPSzk

Sheetkeecker
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
My guess is if they want a big fight, Mr. Brooks has the assets to hire some ++pretty good lawyers++.
Never a good idea to piss off a cowboy, for no reason, after he has just given you $500,000.
They act like it was a $10 donation. If they have any kind of lawyers at all, they would cut their losses today and settle with Garth.
The big wigs there probably gave themselves BONUSES with that money.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm thinkin' we need to take a moment to reflect . . .
OK (reflection time ovah): Garth--and all of us'ns--Win.
Common Law. (Sorta like the Magna Carta attempted to approach. =)

Now "It" has been "tried in The Media/Court of Public Opinion" . . .
Hopefully the honest citizens of Rogers County--or wherever--will provide a just verdict.
Or just a verdict.
As the case may be.

Sheetkeecker
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Betting folks should call to Las Vegas and try to get a piece of this action. Local jury.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 01:03 PM
What are the Vegas odds on "Integris" losing all ephemeral credibility in the eyes of the consumer and The Garth Brooks LLC/Medical Care Foundation renaming/rebranding the entire enterprize when the title is signed over?

And/Or donating it to St. Anthony?

In the name of Jesus . . .

I would guess 2 to 1.

(Remember the whining in here about Toby Keith's Architectual Preferences for the child cancer care center? Geez . . . Louise . . .)

oneforone
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
To me this is nothing more than a watermaking contest between the two of them. I heard from a friend of a friend at the Yukon Hospital. They tried to give the money back however the court case was filed and the --it storm had already started. Therefore it was just best to go court and get it over with. Both are going to lose face big time on this. However Garth can go back under his rock in Owasso and people will forget about his gargantuan lack of common sense. INTEGRIS
will suffer the effects of this because of the all the mouth breathers out there that see Garth as the innocent victim. He was careless and he stirred the pot just as much as they did. Anywhere along the way he could have worked a reasonable solution. However, I think he wanted the same recognition as Jerry Lewis has with the MDA. I have several people in my family that work at area hospitals. The general consensus is 500,000 might buy a waiting room being named after you. To get a building with your name on it you have give millions if not tens of millions. The Yukon hospital like clears that number in a week or two.

Both would be best served by living with whatever the jury says and not do another media interview. Enough has been said about this it's time for everyone to move on.

SoonerQueen
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
They ought to give him his money back and then name the women's dept after his mom anyway. It would be a good PR move and it would be a way to give back to Garth for all the many charitable things he has done.

SoonerDave
01-21-2012, 08:04 AM
To me this is nothing more than a watermaking contest between the two of them. I heard from a friend of a friend at the Yukon Hospital. They tried to give the money back however the court case was filed and the --it storm had already started. Therefore it was just best to go court and get it over with. Both are going to lose face big time on this. However Garth can go back under his rock in Owasso and people will forget about his gargantuan lack of common sense. INTEGRIS
will suffer the effects of this because of the all the mouth breathers out there that see Garth as the innocent victim. He was careless and he stirred the pot just as much as they did. Anywhere along the way he could have worked a reasonable solution. However, I think he wanted the same recognition as Jerry Lewis has with the MDA. I have several people in my family that work at area hospitals. The general consensus is 500,000 might buy a waiting room being named after you. To get a building with your name on it you have give millions if not tens of millions. The Yukon hospital like clears that number in a week or two.

Both would be best served by living with whatever the jury says and not do another media interview. Enough has been said about this it's time for everyone to move on.

I would agree with you 100% if not for the fact Integris apparently started this process by soliciting him first. If they started the ball rolling, and even broached the notion of the naming business, they should follow through. Surely Brooks didn't ask for the hassle.

Bunty
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
I would imagine if any of the Brooks did something notable in the medical field, there would be no fight.

Questor
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Here's a much more clearly-written article on the circumstances. According to it, the hospital made verbal promises and went so far as to show him artistic renderings of buildings with his mother's name on them. So somebody changed their mind on this deal. Who that was and whether or not that's legal I guess is what this case is all about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/brooks-accountant-says-she-didnt-know-of-any-conditions-tied-to-singers-hospital-donation/2012/01/20/gIQA3an2DQ_story.html

An update: Interesting, apparently Integris still has the $500k setting in an account, unspent:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/garth-brooks-sues-oklahoma-hospital-500-000-country-star-wanted-building-named-late-mother-article-1.1008070?localLinksEnabled=false

MsProudSooner
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
This is just an incredibly stupid move on the part of James Moore and Integris. If I were Mr. Moore's boss, I would have told him he was fired if he couldn't resolve this amicably. Moore sounds like an example of everything that is wrong with Corporate America today. Even if Garth doesn't get his money back, Integris is the big loser.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Well said, MsProudSooner . . .
The only question I would have about it is whether "incredibly stupid move" is an anomoly or SOP.
Your third sentence answers that question. Thank you.

I think Garth should get his money back--with interest--and punitive damages.
Thank goodness he--and his lawyers--aren't greedy.

Sheetkeecker
01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I think Mr. James Moore ought to be taken to the PBR event on Feb. 10 at the Chesapeake Arena and be introduced as he walks in.

:fighting2 :poke: :fighting2 :kicking:

Double Edge
01-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Someone dedicated a construction trailer to him when the hospital was under renovation. I can't understand why that didn't appease him.

Yes, I took this photo at the scene two years ago.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2356/garthweb.jpg

SoonerDave
01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Just to note the measure of absurdity to which this has risen from the Integris side, a Ch 9 report that aired this morning/yesterday said that Integris was "monitoring" public opinion on this suit. A PR spokesman came out and said that they are relying on the public focus on "this one donor" to pass and allow them to be judged on their "excellent healthcare." They acknowledged that even their own internal comments are in Brooks' favor.

I cannot fathom how any PR organization for any kind of public entity for which public perception is already shaky at best (such as a hospital management organization) would display the public arrogance as has Integris. The frustrating thing is that, per the letter of the law, they may well win in the absence of a formal agreement. I think, however, its the essence of what's called a Pyrrhic victory.

Perhaps Integris thinks that its only Brooks' fans that are coming out in support of his position. I, for one, cannot stand country music, and have never been a fan of Brooks' work (just my personal preference, no indictment intended), but this is a situation in which I have no problem as a "non-fan" aligning myself on Brooks' side.

rcjunkie
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Just to note the measure of absurdity to which this has risen from the Integris side, a Ch 9 report that aired this morning/yesterday said that Integris was "monitoring" public opinion on this suit. A PR spokesman came out and said that they are relying on the public focus on "this one donor" to pass and allow them to be judged on their "excellent healthcare." They acknowledged that even their own internal comments are in Brooks' favor.

I cannot fathom how any PR organization for any kind of public entity for which public perception is already shaky at best (such as a hospital management organization) would display the public arrogance as has Integris. The frustrating thing is that, per the letter of the law, they may well win in the absence of a formal agreement. I think, however, its the essence of what's called a Pyrrhic victory.

Perhaps Integris thinks that its only Brooks' fans that are coming out in support of his position. I, for one, cannot stand country music, and have never been a fan of Brooks' work (just my personal preference, no indictment intended), but this is a situation in which I have no problem as a "non-fan" aligning myself on Brooks' side.

I may be wrong, but if I were a PR person or Hospital Administrator looking for employment, I would make sure my resume was up to date and in a envelope addressed to to Integris.

Sheetkeecker
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
:tiphat: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

YEAH!

Garth wins and Integris gets a kick in the butt. Justice is served!

PennyQuilts
01-24-2012, 06:32 PM
The more I heard about this, the more stunned I was at the hospital's actions. Nothing they did makes any kind of sense. I am glad Brooks won his case. And remind me not to go to Integris.

Larry OKC
01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
...Interesting, apparently Integris still has the $500k setting in an account, unspent:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/garth-brooks-sues-oklahoma-hospital-500-000-country-star-wanted-building-named-late-mother-article-1.1008070?localLinksEnabled=false

I was reading similar over at the Oklahoman. Seems fairly simple. Since the hospital hasn't built the bulding or spent the money elsewhere, it doesn't look like they are really in need of the donation to begin with, so go ahead and give it back. They also claim they followed the IRS rules to the letter. That is all well and good if they did, but sometimes it isn't just a matter of doing what is the legal thing, but going above and beyond and doing the right thing.

Bunty
01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
The more I heard about this, the more stunned I was at the hospital's actions. Nothing they did makes any kind of sense. I am glad Brooks won his case. And remind me not to go to Integris.
I don't see how Integris thought they had anything to gain by naming a new hospital after someone not noted for contributions in the medical field. Does Integris have any hospitals or wings named after someone?

Bunty
01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I, for one, cannot stand country music, and have never been a fan of Brooks' work (just my personal preference, no indictment intended), but this is a situation in which I have no problem as a "non-fan" aligning myself on Brooks' side.

I gather you would rather hear Steven Tyler of Aerosmith scream his version of the "Star Spangled Banner."

Jersey Boss
01-24-2012, 08:32 PM
500k in actual damages and another 500k punitive. I hope the hospital learned a lesson.

Jersey Boss
01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't see how Integris thought they had anything to gain by naming a new hospital after someone not noted for contributions in the medical field. Does Integris have any hospitals named after someone?

Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Center is one.

oneforone
01-25-2012, 04:29 AM

That's the wrong way to look at it. You're going to punish their employees for the actions of a couple executives at one hospital. I think they realize they are walking away from this deal with egg on their face. They are not a massive empire like Walmart or McDonald's. They are an Oklahoma company that employs local people. People make mistakes. Would you want the world to shun you for a mistake a member of your family made. I would hope not.

I am going to go ahead and divulge the fact that I am an INTEGRIS employee. No I am not a doctor or nurse. I work in one of the support positions that gets looked at pretty hard when it is time to cut jobs. Fortunately, my department works hard to stay an asset and keep cost down. I have seen many great things happen in our hospitals. I have seen people saved who had little chance of survival when they rolled through the doors. I can honestly say the vast majority of our staff love their jobs and love people. My job takes me to several of our hospitals. Each place is like my second family. We help those who have nothing and those who have everything. The place I work now is pretty amazing. They treat kids who have mental health issues in one area or another. If only you could have seen the Christmas they gave these kids. Most of these kids are from poor families and abused homes. Every kid walked out of that Christmas party with a pile of new clothes, shoes, toys and most it came from the INTEGRIS foundation that likely held Garth's money.

At the end of the day, I see this a mistake that they will move on from and put into policy not to do this again. Not to mention, I am sure they will stop taking large donations from anyone they have courted without having legal paperwork to spell out what do with the money. After all the smoke clears, this came down to both parties not nailing down what do with the money. This was $500,000 not $5, not $50 or $500. Anything with more than two or three zero attached to it needs special instructions.

In the end INTEGRIS lost no matter what the jury said. Just because people lump them in with companies like Enron, Walmart and Exxon-Mobile. Big evil healthcare company that is out to take your money. Truth be told their not. They put more into the community then most people realize. I see it first hand everyday I go to work. I would hate for anyone to ignore that because they had squabble with Garth Brooks. People are not looking at the fact he screwed himself when he didn't have paperwork wrote up, signed and notarized. Anybody with an ounce of common sense would do that.

Carrie Underwood just gave a ton of stuff to Checotah Schools. She delivered the items they needed when she could have just wrote a check. So that tells me Carrie and her people connected the dots and concluded "Let's give them what they need so we know the money will be used properly."

My only question is "What will Garth do with that money? If he is the upstanding man he claims to be, the cash will go straight to another charity or good cause. I have a sick feeling the money will go straight to his pocket and to the pockets of his attorneys. Will the media cover that and shame him if he does...? Probably not.

All I can say is I am a little nervous right now because, we don't know how much backlash this will cause. Will they lose enough money to finally contract out my department. I hope not. Just a few words from one of the little people like the rest of you. I know I surely would not be applauding if I knew your job may be on the line for a mistake your employer made.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2012, 04:47 AM
That's the wrong way to look at it. You're going to punish their employees for the actions of a couple executives at one hospital. I think they realize they are walking away from this deal with egg on their face. They are not a massive empire like Walmart or McDonald's. They are an Oklahoma company that employs local people. People make mistakes. Would you want the world to shun you for a mistake a member of your family made. I would hope not.

I am going to go ahead and divulge the fact that I am an INTEGRIS employee. No I am not a doctor or nurse. I work in one of the support positions that gets looked at pretty hard when it is time to cut jobs. Fortunately, my department works hard to stay an asset and keep cost down. I have seen many great things happen in our hospitals. I have seen people saved who had little chance of survival when they rolled through the doors. I can honestly say the vast majority of our staff love their jobs and love people. My job takes me to several of our hospitals. Each place is like my second family. We help those who have nothing and those who have everything. The place I work now is pretty amazing. They treat kids who have mental health issues in one area or another. If only you could have seen the Christmas they gave these kids. Most of these kids are from poor families and abused homes. Every kid walked out of that Christmas party with a pile of new clothes, shoes, toys and most it came from the INTEGRIS foundation that likely held Garth's money.

At the end of the day, I see this a mistake that they will move on from and put into policy not to do this again. Not to mention, I am sure they will stop taking large donations from anyone they have courted without having legal paperwork to spell out what do with the money. After all the smoke clears, this came down to both parties not nailing down what do with the money. This was $500,000 not $5, not $50 or $500. Anything with more than two or three zero attached to it needs special instructions.

In the end INTEGRIS lost no matter what the jury said. Just because people lump them in with companies like Enron, Walmart and Exxon-Mobile. Big evil healthcare company that is out to take your money. Truth be told their not. They put more into the community then most people realize. I see it first hand everyday I go to work. I would hate for anyone to ignore that because they had squabble with Garth Brooks. People are not looking at the fact he screwed himself when he didn't have paperwork wrote up, signed and notarized. Anybody with an ounce of common sense would do that.

Carrie Underwood just gave a ton of stuff to Checotah Schools. She delivered the items they needed when she could have just wrote a check. So that tells me Carrie and her people connected the dots and concluded "Let's give them what they need so we know the money will be used properly."

My only question is "What will Garth do with that money? If he is the upstanding man he claims to be, the cash will go straight to another charity or good cause. I have a sick feeling the money will go straight to his pocket and to the pockets of his attorneys. Will the media cover that and shame him if he does...? Probably not.

All I can say is I am a little nervous right now because, we don't know how much backlash this will cause. Will they lose enough money to finally contract out my department. I hope not. Just a few words from one of the little people like the rest of you. I know I surely would not be applauding if I knew your job may be on the line for a mistake your employer made.

He didn't screw himself. Integris screwed him. The courts and a jury said so.

And it should go straight to his pockets. It's his money that they obtained by lying to him and then refused to give back. What he decides to do with it is really none of our concern. However, he's given and/or raised tens of millions of dollars to charity in the last decade or so...So I'd say he's got a pretty good track record in that department.

I'm not saying that this should (or will) hurt Integris' employees, or that it should hurt the company in any sense other than what the court ordered them to pay (back) either. I have a feeling it won't matter much inside of a week.

kevinpate
01-25-2012, 05:02 AM
I thought you seemed more interested in this case than the average bear. Now you've acknowledged the several members of your family employed by Integris, as mentioned in another thread that veered off to the Garth/hospital suit, includes you among those employed.

I understand your concerns a tad better. Hopefully, your employers will take away something positive from this PR nightmare and the matter won't drag out with an equally PR nightmarish appeal.

Luck to you and others in your department, and here's to a new beginning for your employer and whomever they select to help them repair the hits they appear to have taken.

oneforone
01-25-2012, 05:14 AM
He didn't screw himself. Integris screwed him. The courts and a jury said so.

And it should go straight to his pockets. It's his money that they obtained by lying to him and then refused to give back. What he decides to do with it is really none of our concern. However, he's given and/or raised tens of millions of dollars to charity in the last decade or so...So I'd say he's got a pretty good track record in that department.

I'm not saying that this should (or will) hurt Integris' employees, or that it should hurt the company in any sense other than what the court ordered them to pay (back) either. I have a feeling it won't matter much inside of a week.

Screwed is not the term I would use....If that was there intention. They would be appealing the decision. However, there leaving it alone. They noted they tried to give the money back several times before the case went to court. I know a lesson was learned by the company because of the information that was shared internally. They knew this was going to be ugly and they were going to lose either way. Now it's just a matter of moving on. People make mistakes and that's what this was. This was an isolated incident. It's not routine business practice I can assure you of that.

oneforone
01-25-2012, 05:22 AM
I thought you seemed more interested in this case than the average bear. Now you've acknowledged the several members of your family employed by Integris, as mentioned in another thread that veered off to the Garth/hospital suit, includes you among those employed.

I understand your concerns a tad better. Hopefully, your employers will take away something positive from this PR nightmare and the matter won't drag out with an equally PR nightmarish appeal.

Luck to you and others in your department, and here's to a new beginning for your employer and whomever they select to help them repair the hits they appear to have taken.

Thanks, I appreciate the gesture. I love my job and I love going to work everyday. I feel just as excited as I did on my first day. I just passed four years. They pay and benefits are great and I hope to be around for at least 26 more years. I have never loved a job as much as this one. The funny thing about it is, I intended use this job as stepping stone to something else. After the first few weeks I knew I found a career. I have been promoted twice since I started. You just cannot beat that.

Sheetkeecker
01-25-2012, 05:24 AM
People make mistakes and that's what this was. This was an isolated incident. It's not routine business practice I can assure you of that.

What they SHOULD do is take the top 5 executives at Integris and terminate them.
That's what is lacking everywhere you go.
Top dogs just keep getting a pass. Let a manager or worker do this level of crap, and off with their heads.
When this starts happening, firing executives, (oh! they are soooo hard to find, yeah right, no one will work for $300,000 a year) then the whole nation will be better off, people will be held accountable AT ALL LEVELS.

If they were so damn good, they would NEVER have been so damn stupid.
You fail, you go. Try another trade.

oneforone
01-25-2012, 05:43 AM
I think I have said all I want to say on this matter. I am not going to discuss this any further. I am about to head to bed. I don't feel like raising my blood pressure. It will just keep me up another 2 or 3 hours

:closed:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Screwed is not the term I would use....If that was there intention. They would be appealing the decision. However, there leaving it alone. They noted they tried to give the money back several times before the case went to court. I know a lesson was learned by the company because of the information that was shared internally. They knew this was going to be ugly and they were going to lose either way. Now it's just a matter of moving on. People make mistakes and that's what this was. This was an isolated incident. It's not routine business practice I can assure you of that.

I wouldn't have used it either...But I was just using what you said and running with it :wink:

I don't harbor any ill will towards Integris, or it's employees. My mom worked for them for years and years. So did my aunt. I worked at South Community (now SW Integris or something like that) many years ago.

SoonerDave
01-25-2012, 08:03 AM
The overarching theme that emerges from this mess is the lack of good judgment exercised by Integris executives. No way this should ever have reached a jury trial. No way they should have left any kind of email trail with executives laying out the intent to "make him (Brooks) work...to get his money back". Integris execs surely knew all of this during discovery, depositions, and their own research, and that there wasn't an immense push (or at least one that went unheralded) from the attorneys to get this off the radar as quickly and quietly as possible all point to the absence of "cooler heads" on the Integris side.

I don't think anyone blames the day-to-day medical folks at Integris for this debacle. This was a bureaucratic failure of the highest and most embarrassing order. Integris has some PR cleanup to do now, and IMHO the smartest thing to do would be to issue a statement that says something to the effect of "While we may not agree with it, we respect the jury's decision in this matter, and are now focused on abiding by its ruling. We now look forward to moving beyond this matter and continue our primary mission of providing excellent healthcare to the Yukon community."

That's step one in repairing the damage. We'll see if they choose that path.

ljbab728
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
This is an interesting perspective on this story in a new article by Steve.

http://newsok.com/public-relations-case-study-when-a-company-must-battle-a-hometown-superstar/article/3644311

Is Steve starting to expand his reporting responsibilities? It's a very good article but a little outside of what you normally do.

kevinpate
01-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Where Steve works, like many shops, there are fewer staffers than in days gone by. I suspect everyone there does assignments they dinna used to cover.

SoonerDave
01-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Its an interesting article, but I can't help but sniff at least a tone of a apologism on the part of Integris. "Aw, shucks, we knew we couldn't fight Mr. Brooks...." That's PR spin. No disrespect at all to Steve, but Integris bought every penny of trouble for itself.

The offer to pay back the money, with whatever strings might have been attached, was likely seen as an effort at an accord in satisfaction or offer in compromise that was rejected as evidence of the facts at trial.

I think once it was established Integris sought out Brooks in this engagement, the die was cast. Had it seemed Brooks was begging the money, the rest would be a non-starter.

Midtowner
01-29-2012, 07:26 AM
The focus of the Oklahoman's coverage here is going to be to try and spin the use of the jury system against Integris to be an example of why we need more corporate civil immunity.

Jim Kyle
01-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Is Steve starting to expand his reporting responsibilities? It's a very good article but a little outside of what you normally do.I can't speak for Steve, of course, but it doesn't look all that far outside to me. It appeared in the business section, as do many of his articles. While it wasn't about history or Bricktown, quite a few other stories he's covered weren't, either.

To me, it looks like an excellent attempt to present another side of the situation, staying as objective as humanly possible while doing so. Good work, Mr. Lackmeyer!

Anwalt
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Integris PR machine is now in full force. My wife, who from time to time attends seminars presented by Integris, received a letter over the weekend that basically says the jury was wrong and the case was decided based upon the lies presented by Mr. Brooks. I smell further dispute between Mr. Brooks and our fair health care institution.

The executives at Integris continue to crap in their mess kit -- AMAZING.

Midtowner
01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
So it seems they're going to appeal.

Does anyone have a case number/ODCR link for this thing?

RadicalModerate
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe they need to expand the Proctology Wing at Integris to help these idiots get their heads out of their asses? They could even name it after Garth Brooks. Without any donation at all.

Steve
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I can't speak for Steve, of course, but it doesn't look all that far outside to me. It appeared in the business section, as do many of his articles. While it wasn't about history or Bricktown, quite a few other stories he's covered weren't, either.

To me, it looks like an excellent attempt to present another side of the situation, staying as objective as humanly possible while doing so. Good work, Mr. Lackmeyer!

Thanks sir. For what it's worth, there are a lot of business stories that fall outside of what few core beats remain standing. Remember, our staffing has been cut quite a bit. And when there's a major enterprise story to be done, because of my experience and extensive source network, it's a natural for me to take on the extra duties. This was a story that needed to be done. It's not written to be an apology for Integris, and it wasn't requested by either side. Time and time again we heard from readers - "What were they (Integris) thinking?" Well, to get that answered, one has to get the story from Integris. To give them credit, they answered all of my questions.

Jim Kyle
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
To give them credit, they answered all of my questions.Amd that's an excellent point in favor of their PR staff, even if the legal folk and administrators continue to dig their image deficit even deeper!

RadicalModerate
01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Integris PR machine is now in full force. My wife, who from time to time attends seminars presented by Integris, received a letter over the weekend that basically says the jury was wrong and the case was decided based upon the lies presented by Mr. Brooks. I smell further dispute between Mr. Brooks and our fair health care institution.

If Integris "management" has actually referred to Garth Brooks' "lies" aren't they calling him a liar?
And, if they are calling him a liar, hasn't this case now moved beyond simple breach of contract and fraud into the realm of slander? Or even libel since they wrote it in a public letter?

BTW: Just got back from running an errand to the local Buy For Less. Guess what was playing on the overhead speakers:
"I've got friends in low places." But now that his image is tarnished--by virtue of the fact he has been called a liar . . . and I will never be able to listen to his tunes the same way again . . . I'm not sure what limit on damages is appropriate . . .

kevinpate
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
So it seems they're going to appeal.

Does anyone have a case number/ODCR link for this thing?

Any docket would be available at OSCN. (Rogers County is part of that network and not the ODCR network.)
The case number for the Rogers Co. Court is CJ-2009-738
District Court Docket sheet at:
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=189451&db=Rogers
(nada logged since the 26th)

Nada in the appellate dockets, though that is no surprise at this juncture.

kevinpate
01-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Ron White's writers may be spot on ... perhaps you really can't fix stupid.

Midtowner
01-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Any docket would be available at OSCN. (Rogers County is part of that network and not the ODCR network.)
The case number for the Rogers Co. Court is CJ-2009-738
District Court Docket sheet at:
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=189451&db=Rogers
(nada logged since the 26th)

Nada in the appellate dockets, though that is no surprise at this juncture.

Thanks much.

kevinpate
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
No worries. The whole thing was a mess.

If I knew anyone in the upper levels of the hospital, I'd offer them the gratis suggestion that it is time to go on a retreat, have some goodies and fruit smoothies, or brisket and whiskey, whatever floats the boat, and vow to never, ever discuss the case again beyond saying the matter is considered concluded and the focus for Integris is the future, not the past.