View Full Version : State Of The City (2012)

G.Walker
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Anybody who attended this have any updates/feedback?

metro
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I didn't go this year, but seriously, don't ever expect "breaking news" from this event. It's just where the Chamber folks go to pat each other on the back and talk about MAPS.

zachnash
01-19-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKd8HBu5hvQ&feature=youtu.be

Just the facts
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
oKd8HBu5hvQ

BoulderSooner
01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the link

dmoor82
01-19-2012, 04:31 PM
The whole crowd laughed when the elephant gave birth,I dont think they were expecting that!

G.Walker
01-19-2012, 06:26 PM
oKd8HBu5hvQ

This speech was not good, all he talked about was stuff we already know, and big events that happened in 2011, not what is expected for 2012?

OKCisOK4me
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
This speech was not good, all he talked about was stuff we already know, and big events that happened in 2011, not what is expected for 2012?

That's cause he's one of a few thousand people that is going to be taken into a deep underground base to survive the end of the world. He won 2nd place for Best Mayor in the World. They're going to need a Mick Cornett to run a new city ;-)

Snowman
01-19-2012, 07:16 PM

The only way things new get announced is if it were held back for this, I would rather they not revolve all policy around an event like this. Most anything of interest with 3rd parties would have information leak anyway.

Bellaboo
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM

How about breaking news of the contract extension for Russell Westbrook............that's a big event for the next 5 years................lol

Larry OKC
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
text version: http://www.okc.gov/council/mayor/state_of_city/2012/index.html

Larry OKC
01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
While revenue has been on the upswing for the time period mentioned (often by double digits), and ahead of previous year, all the articles i read were saying that we were still climbing out of the hole. Statements made by Council members to that effect (within the past 2 years). Anyway, is this statement correct? if so, that is great news...

From a revenue perspective, our city is in a very envious position. While most cities are still trying to get back to pre-recession levels, we have been above our pre-recession numbers for over two years. We are recording record revenue.

ljbab728
01-22-2012, 12:10 AM
While revenue has been on the upswing for the time period mentioned (often by double digits), and ahead of previous year, all the articles i read were saying that we were still climbing out of the hole. Statements made by Council members to that effect (within the past 2 years). Anyway, is this statement correct? if so, that is great news...

Larry, I don't have any statistical charts to provide but this is an article from a year ago.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-sales-tax-revenue-continues-to-improve/article/3529424

I don't think there is any doubt we have continued to improve since then.

metro
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Hence my statement in post #2!

Larry OKC
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
ljbab728: thanks for the link...on a quick superficial read, I don't think the chronological aspect is quite matching up...will have to research it more...

G.Walker
06-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, we are almost half way through 2012, and new development announcements for downtown have been slow. With exception of East Bricktown Apartments, most of the developments we are now seeing come to fruition are developments we have known about for a years, (ex. Maywood Apartments, Hilton/Garden, Aloft, Level, Edge).

City leaders and reporters have claimed that 2012 will be a big year for downtown. Sure we have seen small infill developments and renovations, but I am still waiting on a development to be announced that will make me go wow!

Hopefully the second half of 2012 will be more interesting.

catch22
06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
The economy has slowed significantly since January. And it continues to slow at this time.

JohnH_in_OKC
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
The economy has slowed significantly since January. And it continues to slow at this time.
Hopefully this is a quote about our national economy. I believe OKC's monthly local sales tax revenue is better than ever and our unemployment rate is about as low as any city in the country.

Our national economy is hamstrung by a Congress which is impeding economic growth (stimulus) for political reasons. It seems to me that one political party has an agenda that puts their own welfare above the welfare of the middle class -- and putting America first!

Which political party? Click on this "politics" thread (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30574).

catch22
06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Hopefully this is a quote about our national economy. I believe OKC's monthly local sales tax revenue is better than ever and our unemployment rate is about as low as any city in the country.

Our national economy is hamstrung by a Congress which is impeding economic growth (stimulus) for political reasons. It seems to me that one political party has an agenda that puts their own welfare above the welfare of the middle class -- and putting America first!

Which political party? Click on this "politics" thread (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30574).

Yes the national economy, which is the source of funding for many large projects. Our local economy is also at risk to some slow-downs depending on what happens with the price of oil and the empire at N.W. 63rd and Western.