View Full Version : Cool NPR Clip

Teo9969
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.npr.org/2012/01/19/145437581/oklahoma-city-avoids-economic-pitfalls

Nothing new, but always good to be reminded that the country continues to be impressed with how OKC is handling itself.

OKCTalker
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Heard it this morning. There was an emphasis on our continuing to renew the MAPS one penny sales tax for capital improvements, which Mayor Mick attributed to wise and trustworthy civic leadership. He wasn't blowing his own horn (he's one of many people over many years who have made this work), merely stating a fact. And there was a reference to the Kauffman Foundation report saying that OKC is the best city for entrepreneurs starting a company, on a per-capita basis.

Another opportunity to tell our good story in the same week that California Governor Brown called for an increase in taxes and Michigan Governor Snyder appointed an emergency manager to run the city of Flint.

Roadhawg
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
It was a good interview

metro
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
This may be the only time in history the words cool and NPR were in the same sentence without the word NOT.

Urban Pioneer
01-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Great interview to a national audience in the absolute best time slot for listeners. I am particularly impressed on the emphasis that "young people want to come here."

Doug Loudenback
01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice interview and the Mayor gave excellent, and candid (vis a vis the Republican primary contestants) responses. Well done.

Urban Pioneer
01-19-2012, 03:19 PM
This may be the only time in history the words cool and NPR were in the same sentence without the word NOT.

I doubt metro has heard This American Life. lol

ljbab728
01-19-2012, 09:37 PM
I also like Mayor Mick and think he had some spot on comments. Maybe he should just lay off a few "you know" 's though. LOL

CORNETT: That's right. You know, it's very fragile but, you know, we have the confidence of the majority of the voters today - and we're very careful not to do anything that might jeopardize it - because, you know, these types of government spending, you know, especially in a conservative city like Oklahoma City, come under great scrutiny. And you know, we do a lot to try and make sure that we spend it wisely.

soonerguru
01-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Put down the crack pipe.

soonerguru
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Like how the mayor addressed the young creatives, quality of life, the vibrancy of the urban core, etc.

RadicalModerate
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
NPR is ALWAYS "cool" . . .
(even if i don't personally agree with the "politics")

Not a subliminal message to keep it sucking off The Govt. Public Teat as compared to individual donations.

And not selfish. Even if I think it's cool.