View Full Version : Don't mess with our logos.

ljbab728
01-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Not even in death. LOL

http://newsok.com/university-of-oklahoma-casket-logo-spurs-lawsuit/article/3640888

Thunder
01-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Not allowing consumer choices is disgusting. :-(

Snowman
01-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Logo in sports/schools are an interesting thing as far as suing goes. It has been a while since I heard the official description but this is should be relatively close. As long as it was registered as a trademark (and not copyrighted), which is the case of many of the classic logos, then they may have no legal basis to sue on it being on items for sale; as long as it is not implying quality of the product or trying to identify who is making the product (why many 3rd party products have disclaimers and clearly mark the manufacturer). This is because trademark laws were intended to protect consumers from buying imitations of a manufacture (like a fake Rolex watch or Gucci handbag), not protecting businesses and schools ability to license merchandise. Add to that most logos were created before merchandising brought in the money it does today and their were not anything like the number of 3rd party manufactures making anything and everything with as many teams brands as they can.

Most newer logos tend to be copyrighted as well so will not have the same issue. I do not remember why they can not go back and just claim copyright on the current ones. It may have been the ones of enough value to be worth suing are too old to have copyright protection or if it varies by when changes to the laws were passed.

It does seem slightly unethical for the companies to blatantly ripping off a school or team brand but so is some of the prices authorized merchandise is sold for (and imagine what it would be if they could legally shut down all the 3rd parties).

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Lawsuits over college logos inside a casket; this country has some screwed up priorities.

onthestrip
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Being buried in a casket with an OU or OSU logo on it is one of the most tacky things someone could ever do.

Thunder
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
I want OKC skyline in mine with blue theme. Skyline in black shadow with Devon in glittery blue. :-)

kevinpate
01-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Being buried in a casket with an OU or OSU logo on it is one of the most tacky things someone could ever do.

Not my thing by any means, but it also wouldn't make my top 100 of tacky ways to check out. Some people love their college days.

onthestrip
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Not my thing by any means, but it also wouldn't make my top 100 of tacky ways to check out. Some people love their college days.

I'm willing to bet that the folks who buy these caskets arent the types that spent much time in college.

kevinpate
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm willing to bet that the folks who buy these caskets arent the types that spent much time in college.

Possibly, but I sort of figure the fan only crowd as opting for NASCAR or PBR logos.

ljbab728
01-17-2012, 09:28 PM

http://onelugnutshort.blogspot.com/2007/03/sooner-born-and-sooner-dead.html

It may be tacky but you have to admire his spirit. He was a one of a kind OU fan.

Hawk405359
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

It's not that, it's a licensing issue. If you have a marketable product, you have the right to make deals with outside companies to license it out. Other companies can't take it and market it without your permission, cutting you out of the loop. That's the entire basis of intellectual rights laws.