View Full Version : Apartment choices downtown?

dmoor82
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
My lease at the Regency comes up in April and not that I dont like it here,it's just I want something different or worth what I'm paying for.I'm currently looking for something in the $800/Month range,that is in a decent area with decent parking.I'd like to stay in downtown,but Midtown,23rd st corridor or Paseo might do.I currently have all bills paid included into my rent and covered garage parking,but I feel like I'm overpaying for the space I'm getting.I'd like to stay in the $800/Month range but can go alittle higher.Any suggestions or reviews of other apartments would be appreciated!

Pete
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
LEVEL should be ready to go around April and you could probably get one of their smaller units with that budget.

Also, I don't know about the rates but Hadden Hall is now leasing in Midtown and it's super nice (note pictures in the Midtown Update thread).

adaniel
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Level starts at $850/month for a small 1 bedroom.

Check out some of the (former) Banta properties, although I will warn you vacancies go fast and they are very hard to get a hold of.

Also keep an eye out on craiglist or the Gazette. Its amazing how many small properties are just randomly scattered about midtown/downtown yet aren't listed or well known.

dankrutka
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
A cheaper option is the Claremont at 12th and Walker. I lived there for a year and loved it.

sacolton
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM
If anyone can spend $850 on an apartment, you might as well look into a house. Seriously, apartments are like throwing your money away. The benefits of being a homeowner are far greater than apartment dwelling.

Questor
01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
If anyone can spend $850 on an apartment, you might as well look into a house. Seriously, apartments are like throwing your money away. The benefits of being a homeowner are far greater than apartment dwelling.

I think that's true if you're planning on establishing roots in an area long-term and if your mortgage is on a 15 year term or less, but honestly for all other scenarios I don't think it is so black and white. If he can only do 30 years then he'll be throwing away his money to interest the first 10 years anyway, and if he manages to squeak out some appreciation in this horrible market that is greater than the 6% realtor fee he'll pay to eventually sell the place then what he has left is probably going to be eaten up in all the ongoing maintenance costs a home requires that no one tells you about before-hand and utility bills to maintain the most-likely much larger home he'd buy versus an apartment. And if he's a young person starting out his career and really doesn't know where it will take him then it makes even less sense to buy. In general I think it is always a good idea to buy versus rent but I think at some point you have to consider the reality of each individual situation.

So by no means feel bad about renting an apartment in downtown OKC! It'll probably be a lot of fun and depending on your situation it may make the most sense.

Richard at Remax
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

This.

Pete
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Sometimes an apartment is a better choice, just for flexibility.

However, there has never been a better time to buy a home or condo in OKC in particular. Interest rates are at a historical low and housing prices in the area are still very reasonable, but showing solid appreciation.

adaniel
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I think that's true if you're planning on establishing roots in an area long-term and if your mortgage is on a 15 year term or less, but honestly for all other scenarios I don't think it is so black and white. If he can only do 30 years then he'll be throwing away his money to interest the first 10 years anyway, and if he manages to squeak out some appreciation in this horrible market that is greater than the 6% realtor fee he'll pay to eventually sell the place then what he has left is probably going to be eaten up in all the ongoing maintenance costs a home requires that no one tells you about before-hand and utility bills to maintain the most-likely much larger home he'd buy versus an apartment. And if he's a young person starting out his career and really doesn't know where it will take him then it makes even less sense to buy. In general I think it is always a good idea to buy versus rent but I think at some point you have to consider the reality of each individual situation.

So by no means feel bad about renting an apartment in downtown OKC! It'll probably be a lot of fun and depending on your situation it may make the most sense.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Want to know why 1 million + homes in this country are in foreclosure right now? Because too many people did not think what you wrote. There is a lot more to home ownership then just paying the mortgage. Already have one buddy (single, 26) who has been in his home for 6 months and regrets it.

Plus, just because you don't own your place doesn't mean you have to live in a dump. When its comes to OKC rentals, you get what you pay for.

After making this post, I trolled craiglist, Apartment guide, and Banta Midtown rentals, and honestly, the OP may want to rethink his price point. At 800/month you are getting a good deal at the Regency considering all of the amenities. Now I don't know the condition of the apartments themselves (and I have heard it referred to the Regency Retirement Home on at least 2 occasions), but I also saw that you get all of your bills paid. When you factor in utilities, at a minimum you should plan on $1000/month if you want to stay downtown or midtown.

If thats unacceptable to you, I would expand my search area to Heritage Hills/Mesta Park or Jefferson Park/Robinson area. You are still pretty close to downtown, but without the price.

dmoor82
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm single with no kids and just enjoying living downtown close to everything right now.I don't really want to buy a house until I have a reason to or when I get into my 40's1Thanks for the opinions guys,Level looks to be a strong possibility!

Pete
01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
dmoor, if you are interested in LEVEL you should file an application ASAP as they have a lot of people interested. I don't think it amounts to any obligation on your part but at least gets you in line so you have a decent choice of units.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM

As a 16 year veteran of home-ownership - I disagree. I would walk away from my house today if I could sell it. I have no interest in EVER owning another subdivision based single-family home. Condo/townhouse/urban home someday yes - but never another home where I have to drive everywhere to get anything.

JayhawkTransplant
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I own a home, but I miss renting a lot, too. I bought my house as a single woman, and now I'm in a serious relationship and wish I'd have waiting to buy a home together. It's depressing when you close on your house and have to sign so many lines saying "A SINGLE PERSON."

The original poster said they want an apartment in the $850/month range. Unless you're putting down a considerable amount of money, the amenities you can get in an $850/month apartment are MUCH nicer than what you can get with an $850/month house payment.

metro
01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
My lease at the Regency comes up in April and not that I dont like it here,it's just I want something different or worth what I'm paying for.I'm currently looking for something in the $800/Month range,that is in a decent area with decent parking.I'd like to stay in downtown,but Midtown,23rd st corridor or Paseo might do.I currently have all bills paid included into my rent and covered garage parking,but I feel like I'm overpaying for the space I'm getting.I'd like to stay in the $800/Month range but can go alittle higher.Any suggestions or reviews of other apartments would be appreciated!

LOL, good luck if you think you're going to get a decent place downtown for $800, let alone will all bills included.

metro
01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
dmoor, if you are interested in LEVEL you should file an application ASAP as they have a lot of people interested. I don't think it amounts to any obligation on your part but at least gets you in line so you have a decent choice of units.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I believe LEVEL will start around $1000/mo without utilities, he's currently paying $800 all inclusive. No way he will get near that at a newer place downtown.