View Full Version : Channel 5 and the oil pipeline

Roadhawg
01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I caught a news report on Channel 5 last night about the oil pipeline. It had a Republican Congressman from North Dakota saying this will reduce America's dependence on foreign oil. First off Canada is a foreign country and second there's no guarantee that oil will be kept here in the US. It will go on the open market and sold to the highest bidder. Doesn't Channel 5 ever do a little research on their newscasts? But this is the same station that showed a gay wedding when reporting on DADT for the Oklahoma NG.

Bunty
01-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I was under the impression that most of the oil in the pipeline would be refined into diesel fuel when it arrived to the gulf coast and boated to South American countries. At least Canada is a friendly country with oil.

mugofbeer
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Obviously, the channel 5 reporter misspoke. The more important point is that I think most of us would far rather see oil piped in from Canada than pay one more penny to any country with an oil-bloated, goon-supported government in power that turns around and supports terrorism or has its eyes on "nuclear power." If we have to import it, and until we mass convert our economy to something else, bring it down from the north.

Midtowner
01-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I've been around lots of broadcast types... my general anecdotal commentary is that most are more pretty face than great mind.... and a lot of the former and none of the later. Their comprehension of complex issues tends to be pretty piss-poor.

Snowman
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I caught a news report on Channel 5 last night about the oil pipeline. It had a Republican Congressman from North Dakota saying this will reduce America's dependence on foreign oil. First off Canada is a foreign country and second there's no guarantee that oil will be kept here in the US. It will go on the open market and sold to the highest bidder. Doesn't Channel 5 ever do a little research on their newscasts?

I've been around lots of broadcast types... my general anecdotal commentary is that most are more pretty face than great mind.... and a lot of the former and none of the later. Their comprehension of complex issues tends to be pretty piss-poor.

I did not see the broadcast but it seems like the congressman needs to get their statements more accurate and simply airing poorly phased rhetoric should have been avoided. Granted it is not like our stations are sending people out of state to something like this, where they could ask questions, get clarifications or get a fresh statement.

Outside of sports and weather none of the local stations seem staffed to do much deep reporting, if you watch the AP feed you will catch most stories with slightly differently phrasing to what aired except for channel 4's daily cruelty to animal pieces.

adaniel
01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I officially gave up on local news a couple of weeks ago. On the same day Boeing announced a major relocation and a day after the Iowa Caucus KFOR decided to lead off with some Boy Scouts getting their stuff stolen, with obvious OUTRAGE coming from Linda Cavanaugh's voice. Stuff like this makes me think that newsroom managers think people in OKC are dumb yokels who eat this stuff up.

I'm trying to watch OETA for local news and just watch the local stuff for weather and sports.

RadicalModerate
01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Stuff like this makes me think that newsroom managers think people in OKC are dumb yokels who eat this stuff up.

Perhaps the audience lowers itself to the level of newsroom managers?
Thereby proving they are right?

venture
01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Stuff like this makes me think that newsroom managers think people in OKC are dumb yokels who eat this stuff up.

Perhaps the audience lowers itself to the level of newsroom managers?
Thereby proving they are right?

This is probably spot on. LOL

Questor
01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah OETA all the way.

HewenttoJared
01-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Obviously, the channel 5 reporter misspoke. The more important point is that I think most of us would far rather see oil piped in from Canada than pay one more penny to any country with an oil-bloated, goon-supported government in power that turns around and supports terrorism or has its eyes on "nuclear power." If we have to import it, and until we mass convert our economy to something else, bring it down from the north.
We started being a net oil exporter in 2011. Most of our oil is not from the ME. And the oil that we do import is not as dirty as the stuff we'd be helping Canada export. If this gets built we get the spills, and a few hundred(at most) permanent jobs, Canada gets the profit, China most likely gets the oil.

Roadhawg
01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm trying to watch OETA for local news and just watch the local stuff for weather and sports.

I like the OETA news too and also the BBC world news.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-25-2012, 04:08 AM
We started being a net oil exporter in 2011. Most of our oil is not from the ME. And the oil that we do import is not as dirty as the stuff we'd be helping Canada export. If this gets built we get the spills, and a few hundred(at most) permanent jobs, Canada gets the profit, China most likely gets the oil.

We also get higher gas prices around these parts...If what I'm reading is true (not saying it is, but they seemed to be using sound logic).