View Full Version : The Cellar Reataurant in the old Hightower Building

TeriOKC
01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Please tell me someone I out there xahas the recipe for their incredible cheese toasts? :dizzy:

Steve
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Teri, not sure I understand your question....

Spartan
01-14-2012, 08:17 PM
There's a restaurant in the Hightower Building?

RadicalModerate
01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
I think she said, "Please tell me if someone out there has the recipe for their incredible cheese toasts."
Only in a different language.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 08:40 PM
There's a restaurant in the Hightower Building?

Spartan, it's about the Cellar Restaurant which was in the basement of the Hightower Building many years ago. It was for a long time among the most elite places to eat in OKC. I don't remember what year it closed but the last time I ate there was in the late 60's.

BoulderSooner
01-17-2012, 07:36 AM
there was great video on newsok of the inside last year (from steve L i believe) and it was amazing how good the inside still looked

Cellar Restaurant rose above its peers in city
BY STEVE LACKMEYER Oklahoman Leave a comment Published: February 2, 2010

In its heyday, the Cellar Restaurant was the ritziest eatery downtown, a place where the city’s most powerful each had a cubicle for their private liquor and a discreet table where deals could be done.

The Cellar Restaurant was one of the city’s fanciest spots, as shown in this undated photo. Provided by Johnson Hightower

MultimediaVideo
view all videos
OKC Central: Reviving the Cellar Restaurant

Feb 1Chuck Ainsworth hopes famous Oklahoma City restaurant The...

Photo
view all photos
Article Gallery: Cellar Restaurant rose above its peers in city It was Frank P. Johnson, onetime president of First National Bank & Trust Co., who built the Hightower Building in 1928 and opened the Cellar in the building’s basement in 1957.

Over the next decade the Cellar would be home to Chef John Bennett, who created such a stir that the memory of his

Read more: http://newsok.com/cellar-restaurant-rose-above-its-peers-in-city/article/3436333#ixzz1jj5sc2s8

The Cellar Restaurant
When Frank Johnson Hightower took on a project, he not only aimed for the bull’s-eye, he refused to quit until he hit it. To achieve perfection, Hightower needed vision and the means to see it through. He had both.
BY DAVE CATHEY Oklahoman Leave a comment Published: June 9, 2010

When Frank Johnson Hightower took on a project, he not only aimed for the bull’s-eye, he refused to quit until he hit it.

Effects from the original Cellar Restaurant on display during the Cellar Restaurant at Hightower retrospective reception at Paseo Grill on Monday, Jan. 18, 2010, in Oklahoma City, Okla. Photo by Chris Landsberger, The Oklahoman

35.4678 -97.5200
MapMap data ©2011 Google - Terms of Use Map
MapSatelliteHybridTerrainThe Cellar Restaurant
Enlarge Map

MultimediaPhoto
view all photos
Article Gallery: The Cellar Restaurant "Frank Hightower didn’t see any sense in doing things unless it was going to be done perfectly,” said his widow, Dannie Bea.

To achieve perfection, Hightower needed vision and the means to see it through. He had both.

Frank Hightower was born in 1922 and died Oct. 10, 2000. He spent

Read more: http://newsok.com/the-cellar-restaurant/article/3467325#ixzz1jj5xi2Wr

Steve
01-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Also please enjoy a look at the Hightower collection at www.retrometrookc.org