View Full Version : Cruise Ship Wreck in the Mediterranean

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 12:41 AM
It's difficult to believe that this could happen with all of the modern technology used in modern cruise ships. I have been in the bridge area of numerous cruise ships and the gadgetry looks amazing. Heads will roll over this.

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-ship-aground-off-italy-bodies-found-033222889.html

Thunder
01-14-2012, 03:21 AM
There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically, if I'm understanding, the ship hit a rock or something? Something changed that wasn't updated in their underwater GPS or something. I dunno... Technology can't always save us.

Bill Robertson
01-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Earthquakes? Probably not. Much more likely a navigator sailing with his head where the sun doesn't shine.

RadicalModerate
01-14-2012, 08:12 AM
"There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically . . ."

Actually, the ocean was just a lot less deep (or more shallower) than it should have been because water was leaking out through a crack in the sea floor opened up by an earthquake.

Reports of a fire-breathing dinosaur--perhaps a Tyrrhenianasaurus Rex--ravaging Tuscany are unconfirmed.

Easy180
01-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Bet a few folks get jailed over this...The only good thing about this type of accident is it was just offshore

Thunder
01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
People are already being arrested... First time ever in the history like this....don't think the captain of the Titanic was arrested. :-O

http://news.yahoo.com/cruise-ship-aground-off-italy-4-000-passengers-235744825.html

Snowman
01-14-2012, 07:02 PM
There has been numerous of earthquakes all over the world. The geographic of the ocean floor changes drastically, if I'm understanding, the ship hit a rock or something? Something changed that wasn't updated in their underwater GPS or something. I dunno... Technology can't always save us.

They were a few miles off course, if there was any change in topology then it has yet to be noticed by the authorities.

People are already being arrested... First time ever in the history like this....don't think the captain of the Titanic was arrested.

Under maritime law their abandoning ship while passengers are still in danger is worse than the other charges for manslaughter.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I saw the pictures and short videos after my first post and got a better handle of what was happening. Yeah, my theory was wrong. According to what I have seen, the ship went way too close to shore and it looks like intentionally. They hit a rock that was exposed above the water. Just way too close to shore. The video within the above link shows people standing a short distance away after being rescued. They were standing literally right in front of the sinking ship.

I'm going to bet that the captain and the navigation crew up there planned this intentionally as a sort of terrorist attack. Something went wrong and they went on to do this as a revenge or something. No excuse for what happened. I don't know if this happened during the night or day, but if it was during the day, then may the court sentence them to death by the electric chair submerged in water. Three people (and possibly more) shouldn't have died for this.

I have always thought that cruise ships are super-de-duper safe. Now it looks like I was wrong. I'm not going to get on a cruise ship in my lifetime. That makes two. Airplane and now cruise ship.

ZYX2
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I saw the pictures and short videos after my first post and got a better handle of what was happening. Yeah, my theory was wrong. According to what I have seen, the ship went way too close to shore and it looks like intentionally. They hit a rock that was exposed above the water. Just way too close to shore. The video within the above link shows people standing a short distance away after being rescued. They were standing literally right in front of the sinking ship.

I'm going to bet that the captain and the navigation crew up there planned this intentionally as a sort of terrorist attack. Something went wrong and they went on to do this as a revenge or something. No excuse for what happened. I don't know if this happened during the night or day, but if it was during the day, then may the court sentence them to death by the electric chair submerged in water. Three people (and possibly more) shouldn't have died for this.

I have always thought that cruise ships are super-de-duper safe. Now it looks like I was wrong. I'm not going to get on a cruise ship in my lifetime. That makes two. Airplane and now cruise ship.

Good resolution! Although, I would consider adding trains and automobiles to that list. I recommend traveling only by foot.

Easy180
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
If it was a terrorist attack I'm thinking they would have done way out in the sea instead of 25 feet from shore

Easy180
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Good resolution! Although, I would consider adding trains and automobiles to that list. I recommend traveling only by foot.

Should really never leave the house

RadicalModerate
01-14-2012, 08:16 PM
If they had just had a guy with a long, weighted rope hanging over the rail and hollering, "Mark . . . twain . . ." this all could have been avoided.

Snowman
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM

At least a few reports have stated that after rocks were struck the crew moved the boat closer to shore to make rescue easier.

Statistically safe and never having an accident again are very different. Mechanical failures, electronic failures and human error will still happen but how the evacuation was handled shows some deeper flaws in that cruse line though. For something like this or major plane crashes, it is usually breakdowns in several systems or procedures that if had happened alone would be correctable but together means disaster.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 09:35 PM
One thing that concerned me was the report that the evacuation drill had not taken place. I've been on many cruises and the drill has always taken place shortly after the ship leaves the first port. Many people don't take the drill too seriously but having some idea of what to do and where to go is very important.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/887385-costa-concordia-are-ship-evacuation-drills-too-lax

RadicalModerate
01-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Statistically safe and never having an accident again are very different. Mechanical failures, electronic failures and human error will still happen but how the evacuation was handled shows some deeper flaws in that cruse line though. For something like this or major plane crashes, it is usually breakdowns in several systems or procedures that if had happened alone would be correctable but together means disaster.

Submitted . . . For your reading and possible pleasure . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Phasers-Stun-Design-Technology/dp/product-description/0963617885

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_atomic_chef.html?id=MdBXAAAAYAAJ

Not necessarily in that order . . .
Especially on a cruise . . . =)

BTW: It seems to me that it isn't "the cruse line" that is at fault here . . .
It is only a small fraction of the crew on that particular ship.

"Mark . . . Oh, Sh-t! less than half a tenth of a twain . . . "

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 11:22 PM
BTW: It seems to me that it isn't "the cruse line" that is at fault here . . .
It is only a small fraction of the crew on that particular ship.

It's the cruise line that will be paying out the rear for this though. Besides the mega millions that the ship cost the lawsuit settlements will be outlandish.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
It's the cruise line that will be paying out the rear for this though. Besides the mega millions that the ship cost the lawsuit settlements will be outlandish.

Better pray they have glorious insurance on that dead ship.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Better pray they have glorious insurance on that dead ship.

I don't have to pray about anything. I assure you they are very well insured.

RadicalModerate
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeah . . . I guess all this points up a serious flaw in The Cruise Line . . .
Like not getting all the passengers to sign waivers (wavers?) before walking (up) the plank.

You know . . . To absolve the owners (their insurance agents, and heir and assigns of their insurance agents and their lawyers and so forth) of any liability on their part for the careless of oh . . . the captain? the navigator? the steward?

I guess the big bucks being sought will be those sought by the ACTUAL owners of the ship and their bankers rather than The Cruise Line it was leased to. Or to which it was leased.

I would have sworn that this tune was done by the band 10cc . . .
I guess I was wrong.
QJVl6Iuiy00

MikeOKC
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM

I know you are pretty well informed on this kind of thing...will the ship ever be seaworthy again? Or, was it totaled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but have been mortified at the stories I've read.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Those such waivers wouldn't be honored in a court, I think. That's like opening the can of worms for everyone to force customers to sign waivers declaring no lawsuit can be filed. Sprint does it similar in their contract clause that we can't sue them. lolol

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I know you are pretty well informed on this kind of thing...will the ship ever be seaworthy again? Or, was it totaled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but have been mortified at the stories I've read.

I have no way of knowing for sure but my guess is that it will be a complete loss except for what can be salvaged. It seems to be rare in shipwrecks for the ship to ever be brought back into operation. This isn't like being at the bottom of the sea like the Titanic but I don't see how it could be saved. I also suspect that even if it could be salvaged it would be a hard sell to the public to get on a ship that had sunk before.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 11:51 PM
I guess the big bucks being sought will be those sought by the ACTUAL owners of the ship and their bankers rather than The Cruise Line it was leased to. Or to which it was leased.

The ship was not leased.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Mike, I don't see how that ship can be saved. Just look at it almost completely submerged. Flooded inside, the damage will quickly be at work. Like that guy above me said, best route is to salvage what can be saved and the rest for scrap yard. How old is this ship? It may not be human, but to me, it feels like a loss of life.

ljbab728
01-15-2012, 12:03 AM
How old is this ship?

It started sailing about 5 years ago.

RadicalModerate
01-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Would it be fair to say that The Cruise Line didn't have free and clear title to the vessel?
That they were making some sort of payments on it to other entities?

Perhaps they should claim that Neptune's Spear came out of the depths, ripping the gossimer hull, and therefore this was an act of gods.
(Or Posiedon's trident . . .)
(Or Thunder's (Thor's) earthquake moving the sea floor around)

ljbab728
01-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Would it be fair to say that The Cruise Line didn't have free and clear title to the vessel?
That they were making some sort of payments on it to other entities?

Perhaps they should claim that Neptune's Spear came out of the depths, ripping the gossimer hull, and therefore this was an act of gods.
(Or Posiedon's trident . . .)
(Or Thunder's (Thor's) earthquake moving the sea floor around)

Radical, you're starting to scare me. You're starting to sound like Thunder.

RadicalModerate
01-15-2012, 12:12 AM
It must be contagious . . . =)

Thunder
01-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Radical, you're starting to scare me. You're starting to sound like Thunder.

But, but, but no one can sound like me. Remember, I'm special. Can I slap you now?

ljbab728
01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
But, but, but no one can sound like me. Remember, I'm special. Can I slap you now?

No.

Thunder
01-15-2012, 01:46 AM
No.

I feel so rejected. :-(

Easy180
01-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Betting the claims department manager crapped his pants after seeing pics

Easy180
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Looks like the captain did a close "fly by" as a favor to the head waiter who was from the island

Umm...

jn1780
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Doesn't seem likely when their is a big long gash on the bottom of the ship and a rock sticking out of the hull.

BB37
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
They pulled another five bodies out of the wreck today. The owners have brought in a salvage firm to try and salvage the ship, but it'll be tricky at best. The ship reportedly is sitting on a shallow ledge, with a steep dropoff just beyond. They are expecting storms with high seas in the area, and there are concerns the ship will shift off the ledge and sink.

MadMonk
01-18-2012, 10:37 AM
There are already t-****s:
"Vada a bordo, cazzo!"
(Get back on board, for ****'s sake!)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022477/Costa-Concordia-Italians-buy-t-shirts-with-Get-back-on-board-for-s-sake-logo.html

Bunty
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
But the captain said he never did such a thing as abandoned his ship. Instead, he said he tripped off the ship and landed in a lifeboat.

RadicalModerate
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Perhaps it was a failed plot by those Somali Pirates to widen their sphere of influence?
Laugh if you will, but where did that previously not there underwater rock come from?
Hmmmm?

Snowman
01-18-2012, 08:51 PM
But the captain said he never did such a thing as abandoned his ship. Instead, he said he tripped off the ship and landed in a lifeboat.

Is he claiming the first officer simultaneously tripped onto the same lifeboat?

RadicalModerate
01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Titanic? . . . (i don't think so)

How about "Carnival CRUISE of Souls?" . . .
dkTz0EvfEiY

MadMonk
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Is he claiming the first officer simultaneously tripped onto the same lifeboat?
LOL, and then refused to get back on the ship?

RadicalModerate
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Gigli (2nd worst movie ever) . . .
Giglio (cruise disaster location) . . . .?

Coincidence? . . .
Or Something Else? . . .
(perhaps involving somali pirates?)

OKCTalker
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Chesley Sullenberger - US Airways captain of "Miracle On The Hudson" fame - was the last one out of his A320 and into a life raft after walking the entire cabin twice, including the submerged rear portion, and ensuring that all passengers and crew were out. It took hours to reconcile the passenger manifest against those who were rescued. He was so focused on confirmation of their status that he never even changed clothes. The aircraft was damaged during extraction from the water two days later, otherwise it could have been repaired for around $20 million and returned to service (aircraft value $60+ million).

As for the future of the Costa Concordia - from refloating to rebuilding or scrapping - it'll be interesting to follow.

silvergrove
01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Why did it sink?

http://i.imgur.com/ShY2k.jpg

Roadhawg
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
They should have used a rock instead of a champagne bottle

ljbab728
09-16-2013, 10:32 PM
In an amazing engineering feat, this ship is upright again.

Shipwrecked Concordia declared vertical off Italy | News OK (http://newsok.com/shipwrecked-concordia-declared-vertical-off-italy/article/feed/591591)

jn1780
09-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Daylight in Italy. Ship looks really rough on the starboard side. Two areas are severely crushed where the ship was leaning against rocks.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another year for the starboard sponsons to be installed and the ship re-floated. The salvage workers don't have the luxury of working on a dry horizontal plane like they did on the port side and much of the welding will have to take place underwater. Plus, they have all the damage to work around.