View Full Version : Samsung Smart Window!!

Dustin
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rlTrdF5Cs

Just the facts
01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
"This is so freaking cool" pretty much sums it up.

venture
01-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I wonder how well it does against golfball hail? ;-)

Regardless, I have an area in the house where this would actually be a perfect fit. Time to play the lottery.

jn1780
01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Its cool, but I don't know how practical it would be for a window at your house where you have to stand up to use it. I can see many business applications for it though.

oneforone
01-14-2012, 01:10 AM
I would buy this I lived in a house with an atrium or screened in porch or sunroom. Never as an outside wall window. One hail storm, burglary or stray ball and it's toast.

I could see this in use in office waiting rooms, bank teller windows or in classrooms. It would also work pretty well in a sales setting when presenting a product or service.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 03:24 AM
I don't believe it. That can't be a real window showing the room through a wall. That must be a TV touchscreen displaying what looks like a window into another room. Its a trick. I'll believe it when I see it in person.

Dustin
01-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Why else would it be at the Consumer Electronics Show?

It's real.

Just the facts
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I was just thinking tonight how I would like my microwave oven window to be made out of this. I could scan in the recommended temperature and cooking time for my deep fryer so I don't have to keep the manual out while I am cooking with it. It could also display recipes, provide multiple timers, and unit conversions (for example - a recipe makes 6 servings but I need 8 servings). Plus I could watch a little TV down in the corner of the screen or playback a YouTube video for something I am making.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I was just thinking tonight how I would like my microwave oven window to be made out of this. I could scan in the recommended temperature and cooking time for my deep fryer so I don't have to keep the manual out while I am cooking with it. It could also display recipes, provide multiple timers, and unit conversions (for example - a recipe makes 6 servings but I need 8 servings). Plus I could watch a little TV down in the corner of the screen or playback a YouTube video for something I am making.

But Kerry, you said you don't like to eat at home and would much rather eat out all of the time. That would be a big waste for you.

Thunder
01-14-2012, 11:49 PM
But Kerry, you said you don't like to eat at home and would much rather eat out all of the time. That would be a big waste for you.

He's talking about midnight snackie. :LolLolLol

Dustin
01-15-2012, 12:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPVobDrms&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

ljbab728
01-15-2012, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPVobDrms&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

He seems to keep stressing home use but this will likely never be practical or usefull for home use excpept for those people who want to be able to say "hey look what I've got". It's only logical use in this form is commercial.

Questor
01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Actually, I think they have a market with people who live in small apartments/condos in major metropolitan areas. Those things are tiny... this would be a great space saver. Oh wow Japan. They could sell these like crazy there.

jn1780
01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I question how good the display would be at night without natural lighting. I know it has two back lights at the top and bottom, but is that enough? They never did show what the whole screen look liked in "night mode". This would be big issue when watching movies which is essential for home applications.

Even during the day I question how good the display would be. The display model was using artificial lighting under perfect conditions.

SoonerDave
01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Didn't they have something exactly like this depicted in "Back to the Future 2"???

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I wonder what the other side looks like while is being used. If I put this in as a window can someone outside see what I am looking at. Can they see me?

kevinpate
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
I wonder what the other side looks like while is being used. If I put this in as a window can someone outside see what I am looking at. Can they see me?

I'd suspect it wouldn't allow outsiders to view in, unless someone set it to do so. Were I king for a day, from the outside looking in would look like Rafiki from Lion King

Questor
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
In the video the lady says that people 'passing by the kitchen window' will not be able to see what you are looking at.