View Full Version : Souper Salad

Larry OKC
01-07-2012, 11:50 PM
The location at Mayfair (NW 50th & May) closed sometime last month. In looking for the correct spelling of the place it may be related to the bankruptcy filing earlier. Had no idea that Souper Salad & Grandys were owned by the same folks. This also may explain the closing of several Metro area Grandy's locations over the past few years.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9PP22N02.htm

ljbab728
01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
The location at Mayfair (NW 50th & May) closed sometime last month. In looking for the correct spelling of the place it may be related to the bankruptcy filing earlier. Had no idea that Souper Salad & Grandys were owned by the same folks. This also may explain the closing of several Metro area Grandy's locations over the past few years.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9PP22N02.htm

I went there once a couple of months ago when I had a discount coupon. I was not impressed and never went back.

Brett
01-08-2012, 05:25 AM
My parents are saddened by the closure and hope that Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes will find its way to OKC. Souper Salad was a healthy alternative and filled a need for those who are dieting who still wanted to go out to eat. The location on Memorial Rd has also been shuttered. Kind of surprised that the few Grandy's that are still left in OKC haven't been closed due to the bankruptcy.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 06:04 AM
I love Grandy's!!! Does anyone know what happened to them? They were stupid to close some locations since they're popular. The one in MWC closed, then came back, but closed again. Stupid! We still have one on Western in South OKC, on Lincoln north of Oklahoma's White House, and one on MacArthur. Those are the only three that I know of. They better not...not now, not ever...close those locations. In fact, they need to urgently expand.

bluedogok
01-08-2012, 07:51 AM
I liked Souper Salad from the first time that I tried it Dallas and was glad when it finally opened in OKC. Over the years though they just seemed to go downhill, even though I lived in the neighborhood behind the Mayfair location I didn't go there all that often because by then the slide had already begun. My wife and I ate at the South Austin location a few years back and the quality had slid even further to the point that we never went back. It's a shame that places always seem to go through this, they always seem to over expand and then the credit they used for financing constrains them to the point they start affecting the stores themselves. There is a Sweet Tomatoes here in Aurora, might have to go try it sometime.

Steve
01-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Souper Salad and Grandy's, from my humble observation, suffered the same problem: they were never really updated. Physical facilities were very worn out, menus stayed the same... go to the Grandy's at NE 36 and Lincoln and see what I mean. Grandy's is on auto-pilot with the same early 1980s menu, decor and operation that once made them a big success. Times change. I'm not a big Grandy's customer - only go on rare occasion when I'm in a rush, near the Capitol and want something other than Wendy's or Subway. I was a frequent Souper Salad patron. It was great for eating healthy. But it wasn't doing so hot in terms of quality. One day I showed up and they had NO salad! (seriously)
I too hope their competitor comes into our market.

kevinpate
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Missed, but only slightly, the Norman Grandy's when it closed. Missed Po' Folks a whole lot more. I think I ate at the Lincoln Grandy's once or twice. Usually I hit Wendy's or, time permitting, Jamil's or Leo's if it was meal time and I was in that area. But yeah, Grandy's was somewhat dated, even back when it shouldn't have been.

bluedogok
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
The Grandy's in South Austin closed right around the time that I moved down there (2003). In that building opened up a second location of a great restaurant in the North-Central Austin area, Hyde Park Grill which we have frequented often. I know of another Grandy's in North Austin that closed a few years after that and has been a string of different Mexican restaurants since. I can't recall of a Grandy's left open in the Austin area. Many years ago we ate at the NW 39th & MacArthur location semi-regularly but it has probably been 20 years or so since I at any Grandy's, their food just doesn't appeal to me.

Easy180
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Grandy's still has a solid breakfast but their food doesn't appeal to kids so it never has and never will flourish

metro
01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Granny's still has the best chicken nuggets ever, I'd put them up with Chick Fil A

progressiveboy
01-08-2012, 01:06 PM
They have closed several DFW area Souper Salads. I much prefer Sweet Tomatoes, it is a little more expensive than SS, however, the quality is excellent and a better selection of salads. Thumbs up!

Thunder
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Missed, but only slightly, the Norman Grandy's when it closed. Missed Po' Folks a whole lot more. I think I ate at the Lincoln Grandy's once or twice. Usually I hit Wendy's or, time permitting, Jamil's or Leo's if it was meal time and I was in that area. But yeah, Grandy's was somewhat dated, even back when it shouldn't have been.

Yeah, about two years ago, we were in the Norman area and wanted to eat there only to discover it was closed. >_<

The only Grandy's having a makeover was the one in MWC, that was thanks to Boomerang (which they oddly went out of business after being so popular), then Grandy's moved back in enjoying the remodel and new furniture. That didn't help...strangely.

MDot
01-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Granny's still has the best chicken nuggets ever, I'd put them up with Chick Fil A

Agreed, 110%.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
McDonald's have chicken nuggets. You get a free toy, too!

metro
01-08-2012, 03:30 PM
McDonald's have chicken nuggets. You get a free toy, too!

You could sell your toy at the golden goose

Achilleslastand
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I highly doubt McDiversitys chicken nuggets are actual chicken.

MDot
01-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I highly doubt McDiversitys chicken nuggets are actual chicken.

I heard they used to use some sort of goop. I don't know what they use now.

jn1780
01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Del Ranchos and Burger Kings are also dated. I always feel someone dirty and lose some of my appetite after picking up or ordering my food up from inside. I solve this problem by going through the drive through. Lol Taco Bueno locations use to be like this and for a while they were seemed to be in a downward spiral, but are a lot better now.

jn1780
01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I heard they used to use some sort of goop. I don't know what they use now.

Goop that contains 2% chicken instead of 1% chicken!

Thunder
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Del Ranchos and Burger Kings are also dated. I always feel someone dirty and lose some of my appetite after picking up or ordering my food up from inside. I solve this problem by going through the drive through. Lol Taco Bueno locations use to be like this and for a while they were seemed to be in a downward spiral, but are a lot better now.

Some Burger King locations have gone through remodeling as McDonald's have done. One in Del City is quite nice when they returned. However, its so slow there and I don't understand why they open 24 hours when there is like one to three people ever going there during the night. People still going to McDonnie's.

MDot
01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Goop that contains 2% chicken instead of 1% chicken!

Haha!

RadicalModerate
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I hear tell that someone once got FOOD POISONING at the SouperSalad location in the RetailKlustrFcK on the south side of Memorial Rd. on Penn adjacent to The Intersection From Hell defining the center stripe of Walmartia and never ate there again.

Personally, I thought their version of Southwestern Chicken Soup was above average.

So I suppose my opinion regarding the Current Event is neutral.

(Actually, the correct verbal form would be "heard" [tell] but it was about five years ago so I done forgot.)

metro
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
http://docakilah.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/chicken-nugget-paste.jpeg

Here is McDonalds chicken

RadicalModerate
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Not pink enough.

bluedogok
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
People can get "food poisoning" at any restaurant at any time, some of the people who know who get it all time claim that but I think they just have very weak stomachs because others have eaten the same thing at the same time and not developed it. That won't keep those who get sick all the time from claiming it was a restaurants fault when in many cases it may not be. Sometimes a stomach bug is just that and had nothing to do with the meal that you ate just prior to getting sick, it may have been picked up some other way.

RadicalModerate
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah--BlueDog[/Colorado/Denver]--Fer Sure.
Had it myself one time . . . Salmonella . . .
Undercooked Broaster Chicken
at a Now Defunct Grocery Store
--that shall remain nameless--
over there by Edmond
near the Collage,Christian . . .

Ironically . . .=)
I have never eaten anything at McD's
that resulted in intestial distress.
(of course i steer clear of peanuts)

SoonerDave
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Here's a pretty vivid illustration of what (didn't) happen to Grandy's: When I was a student at OU back in the 80's, I was a commuter, and drove down to campus down I-35 past Flood. I remember when that Grandy's was under construction, and thought to myself that'd be a great place to snag a breakfast some morning on the way to school. Problem was, I never took the time to pull in and actually DO that. Then, after I graduated, as I would go back down for football games, I kept thinking the same thing - but never did stop in. Then, even more years later, the same building, substantially untouched since it was originally built, was "closed for remodeling," which we all know is code for "gone forever."

That building still sits there, abandoned, looking virtually identical to the way it did the day it opened.

More broadly, we used to frequent the Grandy's on S. Western years ago, and they had excellent fried chicken. Somehow, someday, they changed the oil they used (or kept reusing their existing oil too long), and the chicken started tasting terrible - burnt/scorched, or worst of all, possibly old and even "refried". And when we complained about the change to the manager (who was clearly very irritated with the complaint), she said "that's the oil they make us use now, we can't do anything about it." I don't think we've ever gone back. Not even for breakfast.

bluedogok
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Here's an article on a new Souper Salad concept that opened in San Antonio.

San Antonio Business Journal - Souper Salad launches new restaurant concept in San Antonio (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2011/10/25/souper-salad-launches-new-restaurant.html)

Skyline
01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
I think a big question is who are the owners of Mayfair Village?

I ask because, I seem to recall it selling 3 or 4 years ago and many of the long time tenants have left.

I believe it has gone downhill over the last 3 or 4 years and the overall appearance isn't the same. This isn't only a souper salad problem, I think it is a Mayfair problem.

Steve
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Couldn't agree more....

RadioOKC
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Soup Plantation would be a good catch for OKC. Does anyone know if the Norman SouperSalad is still open?

Chris
www.clubcountryradio.com

kevinpate
01-13-2012, 10:02 AM
... Does anyone know if the Norman SouperSalad is still open?

I believe it closed a few months back

Easy180
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I believe it closed a few months back

Yep...It certainly is deceased as well

kevinpate
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I needed to make a run down by Washington area earlier today and I noticed the space was still empty. Maybe someone will ake a go of it with a new concept soon.

bluedogok
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Mayfair Village seems to have always suffered from ownership, when the big remodel was done (about 20 years ago) it was a very bad remodel. It's pretty bad if you can consider using "real EIFS" as an upgrade. In many parts (mainly the west side) what looks like tan EIFS actually wasn't EIFS at all, it was just the acrylic finish/texture coat sprayed over plywood, they skipped the whole "insulation" part of EIFS. It has been patched together ever since.

jungmuny
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
too bad