View Full Version : Thunder Bandwagon

Snowman
01-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Though their have been a lot of sportscasters already on, I caught a post by one in Kansas City that made me think we may need a dedicated thread for a while.

Introducing The Oklahoma City Thunder Bandwagon: Kevin Durant And Company Are Fun To Follow (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/thunder/2012/1/6/2685049/meet-your-oklahoma-city-thunder)

ljbab728
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
An interesting quote that I saw from Durant after tonight's game.

"It might sound odd, but late in the game I just don't care anymore," Durant said of his heroics. "If you think about it too much, you end up overdoing it or missing, so I just don't care. If I miss a shot, I miss it. If I make it, I make it."

Fortunately for us, most of the time he makes it.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Kool, millions of fans from Kansas.

ljbab728, you are misunderstanding his post. The guy is saying that he doesn't dwell on past actions. He places attention and focus on the highest priority on the present with clear goal in the future. Dwelling on bad shots and bad actions can result in negative outcome, so he is playing for the present and future in every game he is leading. I love him so much, he's going to bring us all a championship this year.

Easy180
01-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Didn't see it but did it look like Maynor blew out his knee last night or just tweaked it?...Would be a pretty big blow if he is out for an extended period

MDot
01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Didn't see it but did it look like Maynor blew out his knee last night or just tweaked it?...Would be a pretty big blow if he is out for an extended period

I don't know but it was cool to see all the Thunder players on Twitter asking everyone to pray for him. KD was on Twitter asking the moment he was allowed on.

TaoMaas
01-08-2012, 12:14 PM

It was hard to tell. I've had some folks, who are athletic trainers, say that it looked like a classic ACL blow-out. Others say that it appeared that Maynor took the stress off his knee right before it "bottomed out", so maybe he only damaged the meniscus. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Hawk405359
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I was watching the game with a group of doctors, they all said ACL tear the minute they showed the replay. I hope that's not the case, but that's what it looked like.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
If his knee quickly swelled and became immobile (stiff, can't bend) then that is Sensational ACL Doom. I've gone through it 3 times on the same knee!!! That is how they know immediately. Did he walk fine afterward or hopping on one leg?

MDot
01-08-2012, 01:34 PM
If his knee quickly swelled and became immobile (stiff, can't bend) then that is Sensational ACL Doom. I've gone through it 3 times on the same knee!!! That is how they know immediately. Did he walk fine afterward or hopping on one leg?

He was carried off by 2 teammates.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
He was carried off by 2 teammates.

Then its the ACL. Its official with the announcement an hour ago.

First time, I had to put all my weight on the other leg. The second time, I couldn't get up. The third time, don't ask.

MDot
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah, Maynor is out for the season.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
He's in for an extremely intensive therapy. Its like 6 months after surgery before he can somewhat walk in and complete healing within a year. Each person is different. Its depend on how hard they push it and work it. The first time, I was a kid, about 15 or 16. It was pure hell and got tired of the work rather quickly. The 2nd time, I was 16 or 17 in high school and did the therapy much better. Third time in college, I was 19 and didn't complete the therapy, because I didn't want to make the knee too loose and risk falling again.

First time, just the ACL. Second time, ACL and cartilage damage. Third time, ACL and huge portion on side to tighten the muscle, because it got stretched out too much. Now, its all fine and walk perfectly normal. I can't bend the knee all the way, but that is a-okay, because I don't want to loosen the muscle anymore and risk a 4th hell.

Maynor is in for a very rough year. He has to start therapy now to reduce the swelling before surgery. Basically same excercises before and after surgery. He'll start out walking by locking his knee out of habit and fear of walking the knee straight that it might fall out, but eventually he will get used to it and gain trust in his knee to completely walk and run normally. Poor guy.

Easy180
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Big drop from Maynor to rookie Jackson...Look for them to grab a backup PG soon

ljbab728
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Kool, millions of fans from Kansas.

ljbab728, you are misunderstanding his post. The guy is saying that he doesn't dwell on past actions. He places attention and focus on the highest priority on the present with clear goal in the future. Dwelling on bad shots and bad actions can result in negative outcome, so he is playing for the present and future in every game he is leading. I love him so much, he's going to bring us all a championship this year.

I have no idea why you thought I misunderstood anything. I only said the quote was interesting and I still think so. I knew exactly what he meant.

Stan Silliman
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't know who they can grab but Jackson looked pretty decent tonight. I hope he's a quick learner. Right now, I expect RW's minutes go up and both Harden and Durant to play some point guard.

dankrutka
01-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Big drop from Maynor to rookie Jackson...Look for them to grab a backup PG soon

That's why Presti gets paid the big bucks. He already drafted the guy he wanted... Now you give him the minutes and see what he can do.

I love the leadership Maynor brought, but he is overrated by our fanbase. He only averaged 4 PTA and 2 assists a game. While he is better than those numbers, he is very replaceable. I think Jackson will do just fine.

ljbab728
01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
With that said, you still have to have a little compassion for his situation. I know this is a business but there are very significant personal issues involved.

MDot
01-09-2012, 12:17 AM
He is overrated, but he's such a likable guy and has a very respectable game that I suppose is what causes Thunder fans to hype him up a little too much. He's my 2nd favorite player behind only KD so I tend to wear the EM6 glasses, but even I know he's replaceable. I will even admit that he's probably future trade bait but with the way Presti talks about him it wouldn't surprise me if he played in OKC another 4-5 years, sadly I tend to think it's the former.

However, that doesn't take away the fact that he's good. Is he dominant? No. Is he a superstar? No. Is he one of the better backup PG's in the league? IMO, yes. Infact, while these teams are plain awful, I believe he would be a starter on teams such as the Pacers, Bobcats, Kings, etc. He's a proven leader and he can run the team just about as good as Westbrook can (I never said he was as good as Westbrook). My point is that he is a valuable part of a special team, just not a KD or RW0.

Give or take, that's my viewpoint. I may be totally out of wack and made a totally inaccurate assumption based off what I've seen of him. And as odd as it may sound, I didn't like him at first, I didn't even begin to like him until about midway through last season when I started paying attention to him and James Harden.

MDot
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
With that said, you still have to have a little compassion for his situation. I know this is a business but there are very significant personal issues involved.

I'm personally more concerned with his well-being than I am with how soon he can get back out there or who will replace him.

I for one think Jackson did a terrific job for a rookie playing in his 6th(?) game and he's already unexpectedly backing up an NBA All-Star PG. I think he will do just fine even though it probably won't be as pretty or effective as Maynor, as long as he plays solidly and keeps a good lead while RW0 is getting a breather then I'm not sure what more folks could ask for honestly.

ljbab728
01-09-2012, 12:44 AM
That's good to know, MDot. Some posters seem to forget that we are discussing people's lives here and are only concerned about how it may affect the win - loss column.

MDot
01-09-2012, 01:15 AM
That's good to know, MDot. Some posters seem to forget that we are discussing people's lives here and are only concerned about how it may affect the win - loss column.

Having played basketball my entire life and being on many teams and knowing many players I usually see more towards the personal side of basketball. While I've never played at a level higher than high school (my current level), I can say I've been close to many of my teammates and their families and there is a side to all sports that most people forget about while looking at a players stats then seeing the "day-to-day" or "out-for-season" next to their name.

I'm not putting anyone down or lifting myself up, I'm just throwing something out there that many overlook (no one specific on here).

dcsooner
01-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm personally more concerned with his well-being than I am with how soon he can get back out there or who will replace him.

I for one think Jackson did a terrific job for a rookie playing in his 6th(?) game and he's already unexpectedly backing up an NBA All-Star PG. I think he will do just fine even though it probably won't be as pretty or effective as Maynor, as long as he plays solidly and keeps a good lead while RW0 is getting a breather then I'm not sure what more folks could ask for honestly.

Concur!!

Head
01-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Went to my first Thunder game last night. What a great experience. Not to mention we kicked some San Antonio A$$!
I kinda wish it had been closer, just not as close as the famous "1.4 second" 3 pointer (although, THAT would have been a hell of a game to have been at)

MDot
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
^^the first Thunder game I went to was against San Antonio during the Thunder's first season here. We got a beat down. LOL

Thunder
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I haven't been to one game yet, cuz no one have taken me to one. :'-(

dankrutka
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I definitely feel bad for Maynor getting injured. He seems like a great guy. I was just talking basketball. Not sure what was said that indicated people weren't concerned for Maynor as a person.

Maynor and everyone else beyond KD, Russ, and Harden will be re-signed based on whether they are good financial fits for the Thunder. If Maynor recovers and will resign for close to the minimum then there's a good chance he'll be with the team. The Thunder follow the San Antonio Spurs model that you lock up your best players (KD, Russ, and Harden - hopefully we can re-sign all 3) and then you fill out the roster with players on reasonable contracts. If we have a lot of playoff success then our players will get overpaid by other franchises (see Tyson Chandler who was way overpaid by NY) and we'll lose them. We already have Perkins and Collison locked in good contracts, but don't be surprised to see players like Ibaka, Maynor, and Thabo leave at the end of their current contract to be replaced by a draft pick or a veteran on the minimum...

kevinpate
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
I haven't been to one game yet, cuz no one have taken me to one. :'-(

Buy yourself a cheap seat ticket and go.

MDot
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Buy yourself a cheap seat ticket and go.

You can get tickets in LOUD CITY for like $35.

Thunder
01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm not going by myself. lol

kevinpate
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not going by myself. lol

you won't be by yourself. It'll be you and about 17000 or so others, all sharing a common interest ... rooting on the team. You might bring along a simple note that you can show whomever is next to you to inform them you are hearing impaired. That way your new found fan friends won't think you're being rude and ignoring them when someone asks if you are having a good time.

BrettM2
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Play a crappy team and you can get them as low as $4 on StubHub. I've done that numerous times.

MDot
01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Play a crappy team and you can get them as low as $4 on StubHub. I've done that numerous times.

Wow...

dankrutka
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM

You can get tickets in Loud City for like $10-20 for almost any game not including the Heat, Clippers, or Lakers.

MDot
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
You can get tickets in Loud City for like $10-20 for almost any game not including the Heat, Clippers, or Lakers.

I was thinking of season tickets. My bad, they are cheap if you get single game.

Tydude
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
thunder if you go you can be on the kiss cam