View Full Version : Good metro furniture stores?

CurtisJ
01-07-2012, 01:41 AM
I need to pick up some furniture in the next few weeks. Anyone have any recommendations? My style leans towards modern/contemporary with a few Mid Century Modern or Art Deco pieces thrown in, but a warm modern, if that makes sense.

I don't really want to go to Mathis Brothers or Bob Mills, they all give me the creeps in their commercials. Like they are empty shells of human beings with no souls inside (like the aliens in the fake human bodies on men and black), that or like they have tendencies to touch young boys inapropriately, anyways, I got off topic there.

I'm planning on swinging by IO Metro in Edmond and the home store in Classen Curve (don't remember the name of it) but I'm afraid they will both be a little more pricey than I am wanting. If it helps I'm a young bachelor but I'm not striving to have a "bachelor pad".

oneforone
01-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Mathis Brothers and their Factory Direct Store are really not that bad to shop. They do have a few pushy sells people but, I have always been able to counter them by telling them let me look and I will get back with you. I ask the first salesmen that approaches me for a business card so I can tell them I am already being waited on by whoever is on the card. When I am ready to buy, I tell them what I want and they write it up. I did the sales game for a few years I know the routine. If they get caught up in up selling, I tell them this what I want to buy. I don't want that. If you don't want to sell me what I want, I can go elsewhere. The only downside to Mathis Brothers in my opinion is the long wait to get it from the warehouse. Galleria isn't too bad either they just sell walmart quality furniture.

Suburban may have what you like.

http://www.suburbancontemporary.com/

They are a little on the expensive side.

Easy180
01-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Suburban or Dane Design come to mind

kevinpate
01-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Can't argue with what oneforone says. Ghat said, I'm actually a bigger fan of estate sales, private moving sales and such. I've also acquired items from friends who were just wanting to change their places up. Some of my choices have been with us over 25 years. I like to think I've always chosen well, but I concede the possibility I'm not real big on change for change sake.

NWOKCGuy
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Dane Design for sure.

TheTravellers
01-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Suburban has a larger selection than Dane Design, though. We spent quite a bit at Suburban on a sofa, chair and table a year or so ago and will most likely keep shopping there for the rest of our furniture once we finally buy a house (hopefully this year).

metro
01-07-2012, 05:26 PM
There are none, Dane Design and Suburban come close, but no cigar... Unless your a Mathis Brothers style junkie, you can't find good furniture in this town.

old okie
01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
There are none, Dane Design and Suburban come close, but no cigar... Unless your a Mathis Brothers style junkie, you can't find good furniture in this town.

Agree totally.

old okie
01-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Purchased a sofa, love seat, and display case from Suburban several years ago. Sofa and love seat were custom; the pieces were not done well as to quality; did not last; cost a boatload; and we couldn't wait to get rid of them. The display case is--unfortunately--still with us. It is a terrible piece of furniture; expensive; glass shelves broke because the entire piece is out of "square." Doors won't close properly. We had them come out twice at the beginning, but they couldn't fix it. We will never go back to Suburban again.

Brett
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't really want to go to Mathis Brothers or Bob Mills, they all give me the creeps in their commercials. Like they are empty shells of human beings with no souls inside (like the aliens in the fake human bodies on men and black), that or like they have tendencies to touch young boys inapropriately, anyways, I got off topic there.

You mean to tell me that you are not seduced by Rit Mathis' hairless chest ;-) - JK

CurtisJ
01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Purchased a sofa, love seat, and display case from Suburban several years ago. Sofa and love seat were custom; the pieces were not done well as to quality; did not last; cost a boatload; and we couldn't wait to get rid of them. The display case is--unfortunately--still with us. It is a terrible piece of furniture; expensive; glass shelves broke because the entire piece is out of "square." Doors won't close properly. We had them come out twice at the beginning, but they couldn't fix it. We will never go back to Suburban again.

Bought a Sofa from suburban earlier this week, was pretty excited about it, and then I came home and read this... hope your experience is the exeption not the norm...

Thanks everyone for the information and advice.

chuck johnson
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
If you don't mind a short drive to Dallas and you have a truck, West Elm is modern/contemporary very well and affordable.

http://www.westelm.com/shop/furniture/

old okie
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Bought a Sofa from suburban earlier this week, was pretty excited about it, and then I came home and read this... hope your experience is the exeption not the norm...

Thanks everyone for the information and advice.

Hopefully, time has improved for them; it was several years ago that we purchased...and what we got was a 'custom' piece, meaning, we picked a sofa that we liked from the floor, but wanted a different fabric, which was made up for us; that might have made a difference.

I do hope you will have good luck with your purchase.

CurtisJ
01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
You mean to tell me that you are not seduced by Rit Mathis' hairless chest ;-) - JK

Thats an image that will haunt me for a few days, thank you for that.

TheTravellers
01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Hopefully, time has improved for them; it was several years ago that we purchased...and what we got was a 'custom' piece, meaning, we picked a sofa that we liked from the floor, but wanted a different fabric, which was made up for us; that might have made a difference.

I do hope you will have good luck with your purchase.

Our sofa that we bought 2 years ago from them also had custom fabric, also paid a lot for it, was made by Lazar and it's held up very well so far. Hopefully it will still be in good shape for quite a few more years. Just another anecdote to add to the data points...

KeeraK
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I usually check estate sales and Craigslist for slightly used furniture. Usually for fabric furniture like fabric sofas, I feel better at buying new but with leather chairs and leather sofas and wood furniture, it's easy to wipe down and clean them, so I don't mind buying used. It's hard to find modern furniture stores that aren't expensive. It seems that 'modern' and 'expensive' go hand in hand.

NancyB
02-24-2012, 06:23 AM
If you want the real thing, there is a new place that just opened in the Deep Rock Oil Bldg. on the corner of Main & Western downtown called Retroman. Has lots of cool, mid century furntiture and decor. Furniture from Danish Modern to Retro.

CurtisJ
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Nancy, Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a big fan of Mid Century and Art Deco peice mixed in here and there with an overall modern style, I'll have to check this place out.

I got my couch from suburban in last week and it looks great, but it will forever be a reminder to me to measure before buying furniture (I'm 6'3 and I can lay down on it with my arms over my head and not touch either armrest, I'm a little worried about finding an apartment in the coming monthes...).

kevinpate
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM

I got my couch from suburban in last week and it looks great, but it will forever be a reminder to me to measure before buying furniture (I'm 6'3 and I can lay down on it with my arms over my head and not touch either armrest, I'm a little worried about finding an apartment in the coming monthes...).

Now that's a couch. Mine's about 1/2 an arm shorter and I sometimes wish it was a tad bit longer.

BBatesokc
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Never found much I liked locally. I like some of Suburban's stuff but most was pretty to look at but not much to sit in.

We've had best luck ordering online. We've ordered from Macy's and OverStock and been very happy. Prices were really good, shipping was cheap and quality was good.

progressiveboy
03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
If you don't mind a short drive to Dallas and you have a truck, West Elm is modern/contemporary very well and affordable.

http://www.westelm.com/shop/furniture/ I would recommend West Elm very highly! I have also found some modern, contemporary pieces at Weir's Furniture Outlet in Addison. It opened up about a year ago. Good prices too! If you got a truck, come on down to Dallas and shop. Dallas has great furniture stores. I also find estate sales and garage sales in the Park Cities and Preston Hollow area very good as people in these locales have great taste and you can buy slightly used furniture with good taste!

betts
03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Contemporary furniture is rarely as comfortable to sit in as traditional furniture. I've got a killer contemporary sofa right now that looks fabulous, but isn't very comfortable. It's in the room we use the least so I don't mind so much. However, I've got a fairly contemporary one in my tv room that came from Drexel - Heritage. I got it in their back sale room, and it's really quite comfortable, but not as severely contemporary as my other one, which I bought from Anthropologie.

There's some mid century modern as Treasures Past on Broadway, but I think it's more the wooden as opposed to seating variety.

I like West Elm too, although I haven't had anything of theirs for years and years, so I cannot comment on how it will hold up. My long-term experience with furniture is that you usually get what you pay for. Pay less and it doesn't last as long. If that doesn't matter, I'd try to pay less.

BBatesokc
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Our favorite couch is an all leather white sectional couch (L-shape) that is about 8' in one direction and 6' in the other. Its almost 30 years old and still very modern and comfortable.