View Full Version : Immigration Policy Changes

ljbab728
01-07-2012, 12:24 AM
This is an interesting take on our immigration polices that flies in the face of what many advocate for.

http://newsok.com/immigration-policy-changes-could-bolster-economy-report-says/article/3638125

dankrutka
01-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Not surprising. Throughout American history immigration policy has often been made because of xenophobic bigotry, not intelligent decision-making. Ask Alabama: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2011/12/08/alabama-immigration-law-may-get-second-look-after-big-business-backlash/.

OSUMom
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I will never understand why wanting someone to immigrate legally = xenophobic bigotry.

HewenttoJared
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I will never understand why wanting someone to immigrate legally = xenophobic bigotry.

Prolly not

chuck johnson
01-09-2012, 10:20 PM

It may not equal xenophobic bigotry, but U.S. immigration policy has a history of being based on xenophobic bigotry. Google "Chinese Exclusion Act".

I once worked at Penn Square Mall in a small retail store. We generally worked alone, but occasionally we had to work in pairs for various reasons. When I worked with the only other Asian person in our Oklahoma region, we were constantly asked if we owned the place. It become a running joke at work and we had a pot of money going. I even heard a guy casually say, "They are really taking over that place".

Immigration is a different story when you are brown. I personally know of about a dozen illegal immigrants, all Irish.

OSUMom
01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
If you think the immigration laws are unfair then work to change them. Not work to get the rest of us to accept people coming to this country illegally.

chuck johnson
01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
If you think the immigration laws are unfair then work to change them. Not work to get the rest of us to accept people coming to this country illegally.

I'm not trying to get anyone to accept anything.

Ginkasa
01-09-2012, 10:51 PM

That's what the OP article is about. You seem to be trying to turn this into something that its not.

BlackmoreRulz
01-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Amazing to me that the ones that support an unfettered immigration policy are also the same ones that complain the loudest about the ever increasing income disparity.......

OSUMom
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
That's what the OP article is about. You seem to be trying to turn this into something that its not.

I wasn't responding to the OP article, but the response to it that anyone that is against illegal immigration is a xenophobic bigot.

Jersey Boss
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I wasn't responding to the OP article, but the response to it that anyone that is against illegal immigration is a xenophobic bigot.

Which of the posters said ".. anyone that is against illegal immigration is a xenophobic bigot"?

OSUMom
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Which of the posters said ".. anyone that is against illegal immigration is a xenophobic bigot"?

Second post.

Jersey Boss
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Second post.

Sorry, but my screen shows nothing of the sort. I see the poster saying legal immigration policy has been based on xenophobic bigotry with nary a mention of equating illegal imigration with xenophobia. Do you not see the difference, or am I missing something?

OSUMom
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
The article he linked to was about Alabama law concerning illegal immigrants. Not much of a stretch that he was implying the makers of such laws against illegal immigration were baseing the law on xenophobic bigotry.

Double Edge
01-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Their attempts at applying it, per the link and post, sure affirm
not intelligent decision-making

ljbab728
07-01-2014, 11:12 PM
At least some Oklahoma Republican's have more common sense about this than national counterparts.

Group of Oklahoma Republicans urge immigration reform | News OK (http://newsok.com/group-of-oklahoma-republicans-urge-immigration-reform/article/4984478)