View Full Version : Online Browsers Testing

Thunder
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
There was a site, but its been years since I've been on it. Can someone post link(s) to test websites via different latest browsers all done online? I don't want to download and install all the browsers out there only to do occasional testing. Google isn't being friendly and the best it could do was an offer of a software to download/install with all 41 browsers included.

(Why the heck do we have 41 browsers?!)

Bunty
01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Why bother testing so many browsers when Firefox is already the best one?

Here is info on the latest release--version 9.01: Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux has new JavaScript enhancements that make Web browsing significantly faster. The latest update to Firefox includes Type Inference which boosts JavaScript performance and allow rich websites and Web apps with lots of pictures, videos, games and 3D graphics to load and run much faster. Type Inference is a feature of the SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine that integrates with the JaegerMonkey JIT compiler to provide analysis and help generate more efficient code. Firefox with Type Inference is up to 30% speedier on JavaScript benchmarks like Kraken and V8.

Lord Helmet
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Why bother testing so many browsers when Firefox is already the best one?

Firefox USED to be the best one. Now it's a bloated resource hog. Chrome is miles better IMHO.

Thunder
01-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Yes, I know that Firefox is the #1 browser to use. Anyone not using it is an idiot. However, I still need to do checking/testing for other browsers. I know there are a site out there to easily type in a domain and see the preview for each browser.

venture
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Have to vouch for Chrome. Tried Firefox and it was nothing special and found it be pretty underwhelming. It's time is slowly passing as Chrome has recently jumped to the #1 spot. Then we also have IE10 coming out soon with Win8, and IE9 was leaps and bounds better than 8.

Snowman
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I rank Firefox and Chrome as the best browsers.

Safari for Mac, Opera and IE9 as ok (as a web developer it was hard to say that last one due to how terrible most of it's predecessors are though).

IE6, IE7, IE8 I just hope to go away.

Safari for Windows needs to just be declared a testing platform for web developers.

One thing to remember is how well they run on the various operating systems is not always the same.

Some of the popular browser benchmarks are:

acid3
HTML5 test
sunspider
Dromaeo
V8
kracken
peacekeeper

kevinpate
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Out of curiosity, anyone have reasonably reliable market share numbers for browsers?

Snowman
01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Out of curiosity, anyone have reasonably reliable market share numbers for browsers?

This is the general authority:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&qpcustomb=0

This is considered by a lot the second best:
http://gs.statcounter.com/

Thunder
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I remember loving IE6 and Firefox came out during IE6, right? For a while, I didn't like Firefox and one of the reasons was the tabs. Eventually, I upgraded to IE7, which started the tabs for IE, and I got used it. Tabs are just quite lovely. I still wasn't interested in Firefox. Then I don't know how, something (can't remember what it was) got me switched to Firefox and I love it to death. When IE went onto 8 and 9, it just got progressively worse. I love Firefox, but they need to chill out on the frequent browser updates.

Dolphin is the best for smartphone, but there is a forum that I am on and I have to use Firefox to view it perfectly. OKCTalk displays on Dolphin perfectly.

As for Chrome, its a sad pathetic joke. I always consider Chrome a wannabe and will never be one of the big-time browsers.

Last night, I was just reviewing stats for 2011 regarding GGFM's website. Firefox has the majority. Chrome has the tiny percentage. LOL

kevinpate
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
poor opera. it never really made the headway it should of, not even with fans like me. I mainly use firefox, more out of habit than any other reason

Snowman
01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
poor opera. it never really made the headway it should of, not even with fans like me. I mainly use firefox, more out of habit than any other reason

It may never have got much of a percentage on the desktop but they have pretty good use on mobile.

Thunder
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
It may never have got much of a percentage on the desktop but they have pretty good use on mobile.

Yeah, a few years ago when smartphone started to become all the rave, I remember Opera being a highly recommended browser for mobile use. Well, that time has passed. lol

ryanosu
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
As for Chrome, its a sad pathetic joke. I always consider Chrome a wannabe and will never be one of the big-time browsers.

Last night, I was just reviewing stats for 2011 regarding GGFM's website. Firefox has the majority. Chrome has the tiny percentage. LOL

Wrong.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers)

Chrome is 2nd or 3rd (close to FF) in most rankings...and the only one of the top three consistently gaining share.

MikeLucky
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Thunder, stick to providing updates for local MWC/Del City 7-11's and Fast Food places....

I agree with a few others in this thread that Chrome is my favorite, and it's not even close. Firefox is better than IE, but Chrome is easily the leanest and most stable browser on the market right now.

jn1780
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
This is the general authority:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&qpcustomb=0

This is considered by a lot the second best:
http://gs.statcounter.com/

Looks like Chrome should pass Firefox this month.

jn1780
01-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Have you tried Chrome recently? It's a lot better since they first released it.

And apparently you don't know how to read graphs. Chrome and Firefox are neck and neck with the trend favoring Chrome.

Bunty
01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
But the browser people love to hate, INTERNET EXPLORER, is still far out in front.

Roadhawg
01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I've used both Firefox and Chrome I like Firefox a little better.

venture
01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
But the browser people love to hate, INTERNET EXPLORER, is still far out in front.

Unbundle it from being pre-installed on Windows and that number will probably drop. I recently introduced my parents to Chrome and they absolutely love it compared to IE.

kevinpate
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM

sheeple follow the path of least resistance and lemmings willingly go over the edge with those around them. foe everyone else, there is free will.

jn1780
01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Unbundle it from being pre-installed on Windows and that number will probably drop. I recently introduced my parents to Chrome and they absolutely love it compared to IE.

The people who still use IE probably didn't know about the Shields ramp Friday morning either. lol

SoonerQueen
01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I love Firefox and the neat add ons they have. I do keep IE9 updated but rarely use it. I have tried Chrome and have nothing against it, but like my add ons that Firefox provides best.

Bunty
01-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Right, I am all for Firefox. And I bet web site makers like how Firefox works better with coding without needing fixes to adapt. Drop down menus that hide behind images in IE and Chrome are especially annoying in trying to correct.

Thunder
01-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Most importantly, Firefox has the Text Area Cache to save everything you've typed. When you somehow lose it, have no fear, just click on the icon to retrieve everything you've typed!

Thunder
01-08-2012, 07:03 AM
I have just downloaded the Chrome to do rigid testing. I have found that Firefox loads much quicker than Chrome. However, the cute earthquake shakin' pictures on the GGFM's main page have a speedy special effect with Chrome than shown on Firefox. Unfortunately, Chrome does not seem to know how to remember zoom level for websites. The GGFM website is made to fit smaller monitor screens and square screens (to be compatible). For those using widescreens, people can zoom to preferred level and the browser will always remember it....Chrome forgets a few times during testing on GGFM and on this forum while Firefox remembers for life. One thing I did not appreciate with Chrome...at the install screen, there was 'Set Chrome as Default' checked, which I had to uncheck. After installing and opening the browser, the same message appeared at the top, which I had to aggressively click not to ever...not now, not ever...ask again.

HewenttoJared
01-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Safari, mobile or otherwise.

jn1780
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I have just downloaded the Chrome to do rigid testing. I have found that Firefox loads much quicker than Chrome. However, the cute earthquake shakin' pictures on the GGFM's main page have a speedy special effect with Chrome than shown on Firefox. Unfortunately, Chrome does not seem to know how to remember zoom level for websites. The GGFM website is made to fit smaller monitor screens and square screens (to be compatible). For those using widescreens, people can zoom to preferred level and the browser will always remember it....Chrome forgets a few times during testing on GGFM and on this forum while Firefox remembers for life. One thing I did not appreciate with Chrome...at the install screen, there was 'Set Chrome as Default' checked, which I had to uncheck. After installing and opening the browser, the same message appeared at the top, which I had to aggressively click not to ever...not now, not ever...ask again.

What are you using it on? I never had the issues of Chrome forgetting zoom levels. Every browser will ask you if you want to set it to default at first start up unless you tell it to never ask again.

jn1780
01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Safari, mobile or otherwise.

When you pay that much for a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, they better come with a decent bundled browser. lol

Of course, when Windows cost 100-150 for premium or above you would think IE would be better.

I do you use Safari on my iPad, don't have a Mac so I don't know if I would chose Safari over Chrome.

HewenttoJared
01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
You can use safari on a pc. My wife and I both like it. Chrome is a tie with Firefox, IMO.

bandnerd
01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
At least on my home and work computers, Chrome is miles faster. Firefox takes way too long to load on start, and I'm not a fan of the most recent update.

Thunder
01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Chrome all the way. And the answer to your question is here: http://browsershots.org/

Thank you, big brother, love you!!!

MikeOKC
01-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I use Chrome and Firefox and Chrome is getting better and better. In fact, according to StatCounter and others - they have passed Firefox. Most 2012 predictions is for Chrome to leave Firefox in the dust and possibly surpass IE8/9.

Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204012004577071933883857786.html)

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/google-chrome-passes-firefox-global-browser-market-000548742.html)

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/google-chrome-passes-firefox-global-browser-market-000548742.html)

Afterdawn (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/01/04/chrome_surpasses_firefox_in_browser_market_share)

Business Insider (http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-01-03/tech/30583239_1_google-chrome-net-applications-market-share)(Showing stats that point to Chrome overtaking IE in 2012)

Bunty
01-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Tom's Hardware has declared Firefox 9.0 as the best browser, rather than Chrome 16. http://www.favbrowser.com/google-chrome-16-vs-firefox-9-vs-internet-explorer-9-vs-opera-11-60-vs-safari-5-1/

Firefox has the most advanced 64 bit version browsers as in Nightly and Waterfox and are probably worthy of consideration. Waterfox 9.0 may be the fastest browser out there. Google Chrome has nothing to offer in a 64 bit version for Windows.