View Full Version : Landry Jones to return for senior season

Pete
01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Landry Jones to Return for Senior Season

Junior quarterback already is the program's all-time leading passer.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Landry Jones, the all-time leading passer in Oklahoma history, announced today that he will remain at OU and compete for the Sooners in his senior year.

"I want to accomplish the goals that I set before I got here, and there is still a lot more to do," Jones said. "I want to make sure I've exhausted every effort in that area. And I want to be a senior. I enjoy being at OU and with my teammates and look forward to graduating with the guys that were in my class when I got here."

The Artesia, N.M., native said the NFL was a strong lure.

"That's the ultimate goal for anyone who plays football," Jones said. "I've thought about that since I was a little boy. It would be a great honor to play in the NFL and that goal will still be there when I finish at Oklahoma."

With a relatively small senior class departing from the 2011 team, Jones likes the prospects for 2012.

"We hope to have another opportunity to make a title run," he said. "Most of the offensive line returns and we have several receivers and backs return too. We've also got a lot of guys back on defense, so we're confident that we can be a strong team."

OU Head Coach Bob Stoops was pleased with Jones' decision.

"We know the positive influence Landry has on and off the field with our team," Stoops said. "We're excited that he's coming back to build on what has already been an outstanding career. We expect another great year from him, and like the fact that he's determined to be even better."

Jones, a finalist for the 2011 Manning Award, is OU's all-time leading passer with 12,389 yards. He also tops the school's career list with 93 touchdown passes. In all, Jones holds 21 records at Oklahoma, and is among the NCAA's active career leaders in passing yards per game, passing yards, completions, touchdown passes and total yards.

As of now, he has 40 games played with 37 starts. He has completed 1,021-of-1,628 passes (.627) with 41 interceptions against the 93 TDs.

Jones' record as a starter is 30-8, including a 3-0 mark in bowls. He quarterbacked the 2010 team to the Big 12 Championship.

Fantastic
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Excellent

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
SMH, I know some Sooner fans who will be worried about next year with this news. All I can say as a Cowboys fan, as long as he has an offensive line that can protect him and one or two go-to receivers, he'll have another stellar year AND unlike Weeden, Jones can run with the ball.

onthestrip
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Risky move. Hard to improve your stock when every time he gets closer to the redzone he will get less snaps as the belldozer package will be used more and more next year. But as an OSU fan I don't mind, with Landry behind center OU is just a tad more beatable.

dankrutka
01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
AND unlike Weeden, Jones can run with the ball.

What?!? You have to be kidding.

dankrutka
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Risky move. Hard to improve your stock when every time he gets closer to the redzone he will get less snaps as the belldozer package will be used more and more next year. But as an OSU fan I don't mind, with Landry behind center OU is just a tad more beatable.

Interesting point of view from a fan base that is 1-2 against Landry and has lost to OU eight out of the last 9 years.

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
What?!? You have to be kidding.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, I was referring to this one replay I saw on Youtube where he got speared by an Iowa defensive player. He was actually running, as opposed to a Brandon Weeden ;-)

Interesting point of view from a fan base that is 1-2 against Landry and has lost to OU eight out of the last 9 years.

Just a young OSU fan not thinking with his head on straight OR he might be wearing orange goggles. Please accept my apology...

Easy180
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
With Blackmon and Weeden gone it's bound to get ugly in Norman this year

Guess it is good news even though he had a sucky 2nd half of the season

onthestrip
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

All I said was OU was "a tad more beatable." Im not exactly proclaiming something outrageous. And I know many OU fans that feel the same way. And the fact about Landry being 1-2 against OSU, well 2009 Landry didnt throw a touchdown but OU still won because OSU scored 0 points. Not hard to win. In 2010 he threw a couple INTs with one returned for a TD, OU still won but because OSU had no D that year. And this year, well that should still be fresh in your memory.

I still think its a risky move coming back for Landry

Native Okie
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM
OSWho fans always start talking like this after their once a decade win over Oklahoma's University.

MDot
01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
OSWho fans always start talking like this after their once a decade win over Oklahoma's University.

Nah, OSU fans always talk like this. LOL

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Helllllllooooo, please notice my posts above. Geeez...

Some OU fans live their lives through their beloved football program. Please tell me that doesnt include you two high and mighties...SMH

MDot
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Helllllllooooo, please notice my posts above. Geeez...

Some OU fans live their lives through their beloved football program. Please tell me that doesnt include you two high and mighties...SMH

Notice we weren't talking about you. LOL

I'm honestly not much of an OU fan but I like them and surely you haven't forgotten how much I defend OSU, you and I are the only ones on here who do. Also, I am high and mighty but it has nothing to do with a football program I've never played for nor wanted to play for, I get more excited thinking about an on and off program like Georgia than I do OU. SMFH @ U! LOL

Native Okie
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
As for me I don't live through the OU Football program. It's the entire University. My mom was on staff at OU Med for years. For me Sooner pride is more with the Academics and tradition of Professional excellence, from Medicine to Law. Football is a wonderful bonus.

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Notice we weren't talking about you. LOL

I'm honestly not much of an OU fan but I like them and surely you haven't forgotten how much I defend OSU, you and I are the only ones on here who do. Also, I am high and mighty but it has nothing to do with a football program I've never played for nor wanted to play for, I get more excited thinking about an on and off program like Georgia than I do OU. SMFH @ U! LOL

Haha... i forgive you MDot. But when you refer to OSWho fans, that includes me. I may have only gone there for two years but I've been a life long fan. I just don't wear orange goggles! ;-)

onthestrip
01-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Im not talking trash. I havent said anything outlandish either. You guys are making it a bit more than it is. I mean, Im not the one that says things like OSWho

MDot
01-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Haha... i forgive you MDot. But when you refer to OSWho fans, that includes me. I may have only gone there for two years but I've been a life long fan. I just don't wear orange goggles! ;-)

Haha, I was speaking for the 'fans' that every team has, I failed to make that clear, most OSU fans are like you and I and are quite realistic about things. I love realist fans. <3

I've also noticed that fans of teams that have been mostly average during their existence are generally more humble.

MDot
01-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Im not talking trash. I havent said anything outlandish either. You guys are making it a bit more than it is. I mean, Im not the one that says things like OSWho

I'm just poking (no pun intended) fun mi amigo. =) you may question Native Okie's motives however.

kevinpate
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Best of luck to him for an injury free and productive senior year.

Native Okie
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I have no hard feelings or bad motives, I actually took a summer class at state. (dang I'm on record now) I am glad they won if you mention OSU where I live they think you are speaking of Ohio State or Oregon State. If I tell them I went to OU they know exactly who I am talking about. I trust more people here on the West Coast will respect them now that they beat a PAC one school.

MDot
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I have no hard feelings or bad motives, I actually took a summer class at state. (dang I'm on record now) I am glad they won if you mention OSU where I live they think you are speaking of Ohio State or Oregon State. If I tell them I went to OU they know exactly who I am talking about. I trust more people here on the West Coast will respect them now that they beat a PAC one school.

Ahhh, is that why you say OSWho?

blangtang
01-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Landry will be a top 3 QB in a 2013 draft without Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck. And he might the best of next years crop. Or he might be injured, leave football behind and start a ministry in South America.

ljbab728
01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Landry will be a top 3 QB in a 2013 draft without Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck. And he might the best of next years crop. Or he might be injured, leave football behind and start a ministry in South America.

Hopefully he doesn't follow Sam Bradford's last season example. LOL

Jchaser405
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, us OSU fans just need to drink this year in deep and long and cherish these moments, because looking ahead doesn't look very promising realisticly.

dankrutka
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Well, us OSU fans just need to drink this year in deep and long and cherish these moments, because looking ahead doesn't look very promising realisticly.

Not sure why you say that. OSU's football program has never been stronger. They've been bringing in great recruiting classes for a few years now. I just wouldn't expect the type of success from this season every year or anything...

ljbab728
01-07-2012, 01:45 AM
For those who think this is a major issue for the OU program, it could be much worse. We have no problems at all.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_penn_state_coach_bill_obrien_challenge_0106 12