View Full Version : Favorite Local News Station

Tydude
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
what is your favorite local news station in Oklahoma? Mine is KOCO 5

MikeOKC
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
None. What I consider news, the local "news" doesn't even cover anymore. (Think news from the legislature, city hall, etc.) Or, it has to be a very major story and then they don't know what they're talking about. There was a day when all the major TV stations in the state had a capitol news reporter, and in the case of a few - reporters. Today, local news is more about crime, fires, accidents and feature story after feature story. It's changed so much it's sad. For those of a certain age - you know what I am talking about.

Thunder
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Mike, you just need to experience the sensations with KOCO and enjoy the thrill on the Live Wire. Now, that is glorious news at its finest!

ljbab728
01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
None. What I consider news, the local "news" doesn't even cover anymore. (Think news from the legislature, city hall, etc.) Or, it has to be a very major story and then they don't know what they're talking about. There was a day when all the major TV stations in the state had a capitol news reporter, and in the case of a few - reporters. Today, local news is more about crime, fires, accidents and feature story after feature story. It's changed so much it's sad. For those of a certain age - you know what I am talking about.

You're right, Mike. The local stations keep expanding the amount of time spent on news broadcast but they greatly dilute any significant coverage of events (I don't count hour after hour of weather broadcasts). The last time I was really impressed with local stations was during the OKC bombing.

Thunder
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
You're right, Mike. The local stations keep expanding the amount of time spent on news broadcast but they greatly dilute any significant coverage of events (I don't count hour after hour of weather broadcasts). The last time I was really impressed with local stations was during the OKC bombing.

Not the 9/11 tragedy?

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 12:49 AM
not the 9/11 tragedy?

no.

Thunder
01-05-2012, 02:12 AM
no.

That is an insult to all of America. :-(

oneforone
01-05-2012, 03:37 AM

What's sad is they rarely get the story right. My job brings me in contact with the players of the events covered in the first ten minutes of most newscasts. I have seen news stories unfold in front of my own eyes and the friends I have made on the job are the first responders who work the scenes. On most stories you only get a small segment of the story. You don't get the whole story especially when they can use that small segment of the story to make a company or organization look bad.

I used to be a big time news junkie. Now, I can't even turn it on because I know they are not telling the truth. OKC Talk is my main news source these days. Just simply because I know most of the people here are legitimate and they have nothing to gain by sharing the things they know.

venture
01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
My favorite news channel? The Norman Transcript and here. LOL

TV news is so full of fluff it is annoying. The only one I can really tolerate for "news" is KFOR. KWTV is so fake and bubbly now. KOCO has always come across as a joke. FOX25 isn't even worth mentioning. :-X

Tydude
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
My favorite news channel? The Norman Transcript and here. LOL

TV news is so full of fluff it is annoying. The only one I can really tolerate for "news" is KFOR. KWTV is so fake and bubbly now. KOCO has always come across as a joke. FOX25 isn't even worth mentioning. :-X
what about KSBI

Jim Kyle
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
My favorite news source is http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/ plus OKCTalk for local information and weather forecasts... Currently the BBC has a better report on the Blanchard home invasion and shooting than does today's Oklahoman!

Steve
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
My favorite news source is http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/ plus OKCTalk for local information and weather forecasts... Currently the BBC has a better report on the Blanchard home invasion and shooting than does today's Oklahoman!

"BBC" report on home invasion (actually a report that quotes KWTV/The Oklahoman and wouldn't exist without the two): http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57352784-504083/okla-mom-sarah-mckinley-wont-face-charges-for-shooting-intruder/
The Oklahoman/NewsOK story: http://newsok.com/alleged-accomplice-in-blanchard-home-invasion-faces-murder-charge/article/3637495

Jim Kyle
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
By "better" I meant more background, rather than more detail...

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
That is an insult to all of America. :-(

Nothing of the kind. We're discussing local station coverage, not national. Local coverage of that event was insignificant compared to the the OKC bombing.

Roadhawg
01-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Personally I don't care to know any anchor's 2 cents worth on any subject. He needs to get a blog if he wants to talk about his personal thoughts.

ou48A
01-06-2012, 01:17 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about.

It’s sad that even our local news has been dumbed down with entertainment tonight reporting standards.
I would like more local ownership.

ou48A
01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
What's sad is they rarely get the story right. My job brings me in contact with the players of the events covered in the first ten minutes of most newscasts. I have seen news stories unfold in front of my own eyes and the friends I have made on the job are the first responders who work the scenes. On most stories you only get a small segment of the story. You don't get the whole story especially when they can use that small segment of the story to make a company or organization look bad.

I used to be a big time news junkie. Now, I can't even turn it on because I know they are not telling the truth. OKC Talk is my main news source these days. Just simply because I know most of the people here are legitimate and they have nothing to gain by sharing the things they know.^This is so true.^
They get plenty factually wrong. The local OKC TV news it’s generally a poor product.
It’s much more about style than substance and so much so that most everyone I know doesn’t watch it with any regularity.

SOONER8693
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Any newscast that does NOT have an Ogle clone on it.

drumsncode
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Any newscast that does NOT have an Ogle clone on it.

Take two Paul Folgers and call me in the morning. :-)

Maybe KOCO should change its motto from "Live...Local...Latebreaking..." to "HD and Ogle Free".